were in lots of trouble

AuburnBasketball

Just my speculation, but I can imagine the compliance dept. not wanting Komara's son on the team because even if Barbee avoids Kamara someone would say that he let the kid on the team so that  Komara would send kids his way  which might trigger an investigation.  Frankly Komara should have thought of that.  Still, I find it hard to believe that you can prohibit ANY student without a scholorship from trying out for the team just because his father is a "booster".  That doesn't pass muster and the kid has a good complaint.

As to Cothran, I'm suspicious of any kid that had to go to a "prep school" to get eligible.  There are plenty of them such as Hargrave that have a good reputation, but it seems that there are all to many "________Christian Academy"  that do nothing but try to get basketball players eligible.  Could be even though qualified by the NCAA, the compliance people found some issues with his grades they were afraid would trigger an investigation and his prior connections with Komara gave the compliance people a case of heartburn.  We don't need an Eric Bledsoe type of expose while we are starting over.  Still, if the NCAA qualified him, I can see Barbee being totally frustrated.  Our compliance folks are overruling both Barbee and the NCAA.  That makes no sense and that conflict needs to go higher up than the compliance folks.

I still feel that there are too many issues, rumors, innuendo etc. surrounding the program and there needs to be a summit meeting and a press conference to clear the air.  Otherwise people like me will be speculating till the cows come home.

WDE

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just my speculation, but I can imagine the compliance dept. not wanting Komara's son on the team because even if Barbee avoids Kamara someone would say that he let the kid on the team so that  Komara would send kids his way  which might trigger an investigation.  Frankly Komara should have thought of that.  Still, I find it hard to believe that you can prohibit ANY student without a scholorship from trying out for the team just because his father is a "booster".  That doesn't pass muster and the kid has a good complaint.

As to Cothran, I'm suspicious of any kid that had to go to a "prep school" to get eligible.  There are plenty of them such as Hargrave that have a good reputation, but it seems that there are all to many "________Christian Academy"  that do nothing but try to get basketball players eligible.  Could be even though qualified by the NCAA, the compliance people found some issues with his grades they were afraid would trigger an investigation and his prior connections with Komara gave the compliance people a case of heartburn.  We don't need an Eric Bledsoe type of expose while we are starting over.  Still, if the NCAA qualified him, I can see Barbee being totally frustrated.  Our compliance folks are overruling both Barbee and the NCAA.  That makes no sense and that conflict needs to go higher up than the compliance folks.

I still feel that there are too many issues, rumors, innuendo etc. surrounding the program and there needs to be a summit meeting and a press conference to clear the air.  Otherwise people like me will be speculating till the cows come home.

WDE

Finally, someone who is putting some perspective on this!!  Thank you.

WDE

Our compliance folks didn`t overrule anyone. According to the UMass article or release, Cothron is being admitted as a Partial Qualifier. The SEC doesn`t allow partial qualifiers anymore so he wasn`t eligible to enroll at Auburn or any other SEC school even though technically the NCAA had approved him. My guess is that because he went to more than one prep type school in order to become eligible, the NCAA placed the partial qualifier status on him to help get his academics in order. Just a guess on my part.

A couple of points in regards to the rumor by the Rivals poster.

1. Trevor Lacey doesn't play for Mark Komara's AAU team so he will have no impact on his decision

2. Devin Langford doesn't play for Mark Komara's AAU team so he will have no impact on his decision

3. Luke Cothron is a partial qualifier at UMass. The SEC doesn't allow partial qualifiers so there was no way he was going to play for us this year regardless and would have had to go to JUCO

4. 10 years ago Mark Komara was the guy in AAU basketball in the state of Alabama but that isn't close to being true anymore. The team out of Birmingham(Alabama Challenge) with 2 of our current recruits  is the  best team in state and since none of the 3 best players in Huntsville(Lacey, Langford and Levi Randolph) play for Komara it is pretty obvious he is on his way to not mattering anyway.

I don't know a bout the rest of his post but when you miss that bad on 4 of your 1st 5 points I've got to question the knowledge and crdibility of the original source.

1. Trevor Lacey doesn't play for Mark Komara's AAU team so he will have no impact on his decision

2. Devin Langford doesn't play for Mark Komara's AAU team so he will have no impact on his decision

3. Luke Cothron is a partial qualifier at UMass. The SEC doesn't allow partial qualifiers so there was no way he was going to play for us this year regardless and would have had to go to JUCO

4. 10 years ago Mark Komara was the guy in AAU basketball in the state of Alabama but that isn't close to being true anymore. The team out of Birmingham(Alabama Challenge) with 2 of our current recruits  is the  best team in state and since none of the 3 best players in Huntsville(Lacey, Langford and Levi Randolph) play for Komara it is pretty obvious he is on his way to not mattering anyway.

I don't know a bout the rest of his post but when you miss that bad on 4 of your 1st 5 points I've got to question the knowledge and crdibility of the original source.

Good post COTIGER. I don`t know why you and I seem to be the only ones knowing Cothron wasn`t going to be eligible and it was out of Auburn`s hands. All the other info is spot on too. Most of this will blow over. I still hate all this came up because of Komara`s kid but with his dad and Mr. Jackson involved, their is probably more to this story. Just saying.

Good post COTIGER. I don`t know why you and I seem to be the only ones knowing Cothron wasn`t going to be eligible and it was out of Auburn`s hands. All the other info is spot on too. Most of this will blow over. I still hate all this came up because of Komara`s kid but with his dad and Mr. Jackson involved, their is probably more to this story. Just saying.

Yep, there usually is more to the story..

Since Cothron was 100% qualified by the NCAA, why did the AU compliance vetoed that? he didn't have any problems getting in school at UMass in just one day. Who's really pulling the strings on the Plains?

Since Cothron was 100% qualified by the NCAA, why did the AU compliance vetoed that? he didn't have any problems getting in school at UMass in just one day. Who's really pulling the strings on the Plains?

He wasn`t 100% fully qualified. He was declared a partial qualifier by the NCAA and that is how he enrolled at UMass. They take partials, the SEC doesn`t allow partials. Even UMass says he was admitted on a partial. I`ve heard lately he may already be gone from UMass but haven`t confirmed that so I`ll just say it`s a rumor for now.

Archived