Jeremy Hill

gpharper

Would we even need Mason at that point? Huggins would be a homerun threat on edge plays with his speed plus Bray will get some carries at running back.

People sure don't seem too high on Mason here...and he remains the back who has impressed me the most on film. From what I saw, he's more elusive and better at running in traffic than Huggins is, and it seemed to me like he accelerates better as well. Am I the only one who thinks this?

I'm high on him, but just higher on Bray. And since it seems like the coaches want to take 2 bigger backs (Huggins and Hill) we probably only have room for one of Bray or Mason. I think it will be Bray, and Mason may end up at Ole Miss or West Virginia

Where have you gotten the impression that the coaches want to take two big backs? I've been operating under the assumption that Bray is being recruited as an athlete, and then in addition the coaches want to get a "big" back and a "speed" back, and I've seen nothing (other than speculation) that makes me think that is inaccurate.

With all due respect can we please stop pegging Huggins as a "big back" just because of his height? He is a complete back. He is not a typical big back who mainly relies on power. He combines a bit of power with great speed, excellent agilit,y and outstanding balance. He is a homerun threat every time he touches the ball and one of the most complete backs in this class/ His biggest drawback is his pass blocking at this point.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen nothing other than speculation for that matter that says the coaches want both Bray and Mason.  Mason may be a Plan B if Bray goes to UGA.   :dunno:

Putting it that way, there has been pretty much nothing but speculation about how the coaches are going to fill out the rest of the class...but there are a lot of people who generally know what they are talking about that say Bray is being recruited as a slot receiver and Mason is being recruited as a speed back. This is why my opinion is what it is.

With all due respect can we please stop pegging Huggins as a "big back" just because of his height? He is a complete back. He is not a typical big back who mainly relies on power. He combines a bit of power with great speed, excellent agilit,y and outstanding balance. He is a homerun threat every time he touches the ball and one of the most complete backs in this class/ His biggest drawback is his pass blocking at this point.

Okay, so Jeremy Hill is the only "big back" we are actively pursuing, then? The same thing can be said of Isaiah Crowell and Marlin Lane.

Man my head is spinning with all the big back, speed back, slot, h back.....

I think Huggins could qualify as the "Big" Back or speed back. Mason/Bray speed back/slot. Hill is of course a "Big" back. If we get Hill then Huggins moves to the speed back and Bray stays at the slot.

Okay, so Jeremy Hill is the only "big back" we are actively pursuing, then? The same thing can be said of Isaiah Crowell and Marlin Lane.

Crowell is a complete back also but, and this is just my opinion, I have Huggins higher because he seems to be more mature. Even though I am not going to get mad at  Crowell, like some people have, for wearing that Bama hat at his OV to AU, it does show a lack of judgement and he should have thought about what he was wearing before he put it on.

EDIT: If what I said is deemed to negative I understand if it is deleted.

Okay, I'm backing out of this one. I've said my piece. We will see how it turns out.

let's pause for a moment and realize that none of us really know what the coaches are wanting to do with the "speed back", "big back", slot, h- back role. We know that there will be 3 guys taken out of Hill, Huggins, Mason and Bray. (Yes Crowell is still possible, but unlikely). Someone is likely getting left out, the question is who?

He guys, isn't this great that we are arguing over such great backs after we lost Blakely and Hart a couple months ago?  :wedance:

But do we know there will be 3 guys taken out of those 3?  If Shinn is back in the picture, would we take Fulse, Uzomah, Denson, Coates, Bray as a slot receiver AND Shinn?  Common sense dictates a NO, but Fulse and Bray may go elsewhere.  So many moving pieces to recruiting, and we only see a few as we speculate.

Huggins doesn't look like a big back at all.  Just a regular sized back  :laugh:

The staff has not moved on. I look for him to visit this month.  :we:

Where does the room come from for him and Jenkins? We must have a couple that will not qualify.

I tend to think our recent push for Hill has to do with our coaches not being very confident in getting Huggins.

I wouldnt say that. They went on the same visit, and the coaches have probably been in contact with both since then. This may have more to do with just building depth

Would we even need Mason at that point? Huggins would be a homerun threat on edge plays with his speed plus Bray will get some carries at running back.

People sure don't seem too high on Mason here...and he remains the back who has impressed me the most on film. From what I saw, he's more elusive and better at running in traffic than Huggins is, and it seemed to me like he accelerates better as well. Am I the only one who thinks this?

I'm high on him, but just higher on Bray. And since it seems like the coaches want to take 2 bigger backs (Huggins and Hill) we probably only have room for one of Bray or Mason. I think it will be Bray, and Mason may end up at Ole Miss or West Virginia

Where have you gotten the impression that the coaches want to take two big backs? I've been operating under the assumption that Bray is being recruited as an athlete, and then in addition the coaches want to get a "big" back and a "speed" back, and I've seen nothing (other than speculation) that makes me think that is inaccurate.

I think people put too much of an emphasis on big back/small back. We have plenty of speed in the backfield with McCalebb and Bray. So why not take backs like Huggins and Hill to make up for losing Aycock?

I don't know where the idea that we have to take a speed back and a big back came from.

Just watched a recent video on Hill and was very impressed, saw some film earlier and had concluded he was pretty slow, but looked much faster in this recent film (maybe an auburn lean made him look faster).

A lot of people complained early in last year's recruiting class that dyer was too slow.

I don't really understand the desire for evey guy to be a 4.4 or faster guy.  The 6'1 230lb rb has their place in the sec.  The leading rushers in the sec were larger guys who do not run sub 4.5 40s.  Both lattimore and ridley were thousand yard backs and neither of those guys run sub 4.5 40s.  Even cam who is obviously a dominant athlete even in the sec is not a speed burner.  He is an elusive and when needed a powerful runner who lowers the boom as often as he runs by defenders.

I don't really understand the desire for evey guy to be a 4.4 or faster guy.  The 6'1 230lb rb has their place in the sec.  The leading rushers in the sec were larger guys who do not run sub 4.5 40s.  Both lattimore and ridley were thousand yard backs and neither of those guys run sub 4.5 40s.  Even cam who is obviously a dominant athlete even in the sec is not a speed burner.  He is an elusive and when needed a powerful runner who lowers the boom as often as he runs by defenders.

I would have to go back and look at his recruiting profiles, but I just got through watching the South Carolina game over again and noticed how fast Lattimore seemed.  I would be willing to bet he is at least 4.5, possibly faster.

I do agree with your point though.  Bigger backs  have a place in most offenses.  I would actually like to see Eric Smith get carries now and then. 

This is from Lattimore's Rivals profile:

* Ht:6'0"

* Wt:210 lbs

* 40:4.46 secs

* Bench Max:270

* Squat Max:440

* Vertical:32 inches

* GPA:3.3

* Class:2010 (High School)

I would say that 4.46 is probably legit.  The guy has good speed.

Funny thing is: people didn't give AU a shot with Hill. He was decommitting from lspoo to go to the turds, remember? The scenario has played out a good bit since Chizik and staff have assembled. People also didn't give AU a shot at Craig Sanders, Corey Lemonier, Ray Drew, Christian Westerman, and a good bit of others.

We as fans need to start giving the coaches the benefit of the doubt. Other fans bases have tried/will try to undermine the effort or sell them short. We on the other hand should stop with the "there is no chance we get them" thinking. Tubs and staff really didn't try to go head to head with FSU, floriduh, lspoo, or the Texas. When they did so, they didn't get many if any. The same can not and should not be said for Chizik and staff. In our defense, I must say that our fan base has not learned the recruiting game yet.

To get back on topic. To me it doesn't matter if Hill is a bigger back or smaller one. What matters to me is that he is a great athlete that many SEC schools want. If AU takes him away from LSpoo, it's a double win. Not only has AU got a great athlete but lspoo also lost one. In addition to that, they also lost time and resources recruiting him. Time that they could've used to recruit other high profile athletes. What I don't want is for AU to have too many specialized roles so that it gives away the play set when a individual enters the game. For all the complaining some of us did when OMac was ran up the middle, the possibility must be there.

Hill told 247Sports today that Alabama and LSU are his two leaders, but that he really likes Auburn as well. Weird.

Don't read too much into that. He is very high on Auburn.

Hill told 247Sports today that Alabama and LSU are his two leaders, but that he really likes Auburn as well. Weird.

Don't read too much into that. He is very high on Auburn.

This has probably already been asked & answered, but what's the time-line on his commitment?

Archived