Linebacker depth

Ando

What's your best guess at the 2 deep depth chart?

Bates

Curry?

White

Freeman

Evans

Holland

Owens

Gaston

Frost

Garrett

Landrum

Swain?

I'm thinking Holland, Bates, and Eltoro starting with Owens and Frost rotating in frequently. It's about time we have a nasty group of LB's (not to knock years past), but we've been known to convert smaller guys to LB like Darren Bates last year. Finally, a stable of full-bred beasts on the second level

Speed is why we moved Darren to Sam LB, I doubt he got faster and we've recruited hard core to ease the strain on the secondary, he's at LB for good

He was much more effective at SS, IMO. He is plenty fast enough.

Fast is pretty loose term, a kid with instinct makes up for a step he lacks. We need guys who can cover ground in the two deep scheme Gene runs, Bates isn't that guy. Darren wallops people out there, he's way too good of a run stuff to keep away from the line of scrimmage.

Darren missed a ton of PT this year from that shoulder injury too, I think that might be what's making you think he was more effective. Do you not remember the deep balls we have up in 09? He was one of those guys who went unnoticed as we quietly built the best run D in the SEC

Freeman  Holland  Bates

Owens    Landrum  Evans

I think you got to keep bates at linebacker since he worked so hard last off season to gain all that weight. also when i saw landrum i didnt realize how seriously big he is.

Freeman  Holland  Bates

Owens     Landrum  Evans

I think you got to keep bates at linebacker since he worked so hard last off season to gain all that weight. also when i saw landrum i didnt realize how seriously big he is.

[/quote

I agree although I would like to see landrum get a redshirt along with garrett and swain.  He is physically ready the dude is big for a freshman.

to answer my own question...

To start the 2011 season

Evans Holland Bates

Freeman Landrum Owens

OLB - The Bull  MLB- Holland  OLB- Darren Bates

Rah Rah    Ladarius Owens      Evans.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Owens beat Jake out for the starting MLB spot.

Owens needs more meat on him even though I could see him being a travis williams type MLB, but Jake is a stud in the middle already. He's faster than bynes and just as good filling gaps. All i worry about is if he'll be the same caliber leader. Where's the love for frost with all these predictions? Have you not seen this kid's tape? He needs to be on the field and I'm not just talking about special teams

I don't understand why people use Sam, Will, and Mike LB's. Why not just say Strong, Weak, and Middle. Thats what they represent, and there is only one extra syllable with all 3 combined.

Owens needs more meat on him even though I could see him being a travis williams type MLB, but Jake is a stud in the middle already. He's faster than bynes and just as good filling gaps. All i worry about is if he'll be the same caliber leader. Where's the love for frost with all these predictions? Have you not seen this kid's tape? He needs to be on the field and I'm not just talking about special teams

I'm sorry but I have to respectfully and totally disagree.  I usually sit by the guy in class on MWF.  He's got the size.

To answer the questions posed: I see Kris at sam or will because he will be awesome at coverage. Watch his highlights (i know its against high schoolers) and tell me you don't think this guy could shadow trent richardson or lattimore, id be surprised if you disagreed. Why do we use mike sam and will? Playing football from pee wee to high school that's all i've ever heard (many of you could probably relate), and if you listen to press conferences coached use the same lingo. I guess it just stuck with me, sorry to annoy you but it's schematics. Yes I agree Owens is a big boy, i haven't seen him lately so im not surprised Yox put some weight on him. You have to remember we're talking about size in football terms. Barret Trotter might seem like an undersized guys when hes on the field at 6'2 and between 210 and 225 pounds in football terms, but for normal people, he's a pretty big dude. Plus Owens is really athletic, I believe his forty time was 4.5 out of high school. Usually if you have the size and wheels you play at the outside lb spots to utilize that speed. Sometimes you luck out and have a freak like Rolando McClain or Takeo Spikes who fit perfect at mike, but I think we could agree he's not on that tier yet. Not saying Owens couldn't play in the middle, but with jake there i feel it would be a bit of a waste of speed considering he'd probably be great at manning up on a back or slot guy. You don't have to have fast to be a great middle linebacker in college football, see Josh Bynes. I just want the best three out there at one time, Jake and Owens are in that top three IMO.

He played middle LB in HS his senoir year, had 101 tackles, and garnered all state honors, after being moved from DE, where he was a 2 year all stater. So he can play LB, but I think he'd be better suited to play OLB, it's hard to get to the corner on him, with that wingspan and those biceps. I'd like to see him getting 5-10 carries at TB.

I don't understand why people use Sam, Will, and Mike LB's. Why not just say Strong, Weak, and Middle. Thats what they represent, and there is only one extra syllable with all 3 combined.

I don't understand why we have to keep defining current opposite of electron flow...  :dunno:

Archived