Auburn signee Clay Holmes

I got to watch him pitch last night cause he is from the same High School I went to. Kid is a beast. Goes around 6'5" 240 and brings the heat. He was throwing 94-95 last night, the only way I know that is the 5 radar guns the pro scouts were holding up as he was pitching. It was wierd watching a baseball game in Slocomb, AL and having major league scouts in attendance.

I haven't spoke to him personally, but the consensus around town is if he gets taken in the money rounds he will go.

If I had a dime for all the pro scouts I've seen at practices and games this year I'd be a rich rich man. Good to hear Holmes is throwing hard. It'll be interesting to see where he'll fit into AU's rotation when he gets here. Does he throw 94 consistently? Or does it wear down after an inning or two?

He stays consistent for about 5 innings, he hasnt thrown a full game yet so they can save his innings being he is so dominant. This is a first that I know of any legitimate pro interest at my old school. We are 3A but will probably drop to 2A next time the count is made. Another thing about this kid is he has had no coaching, they are on their 3rd HS coach, with some solid coaching he has the makings of a stud. I truelly hope he goes to AU so he can develop and be a solid draft pick one day, not get caught up in some farm system for 5-10 years.

If he's throwing 94-95 with a good off speed pitch and can locate then he'd have no problems at all moving throw the farm systems. Especially as a closer.. If they just threw him 1 or 2 innings every couple of nights then I'd bet that 94-95 would turn into 96-97.

He is gonna have to work on hitting the corners a little more consistently. His off speed breaking ball was making the hitters just look stupid out there. I had a good viewpoint and not only were they all out on their front foot, but they were swinging a foot over the ball. Another positive I noticed in him was when he missed his spots it was always low, He didnt miss anything high.

I would love to see him come to Auburn, his dad says that there has been 18 MLB teams that made contact with him. He didnt let on how serious it was so He may not even be considered in the big money rounds. If they dont take him pretty high then I believe he will go get his education, he was the valedictorian this year so he has a good head on his shoulders.

Archived