Predicted Depth Chart for Next Year

AubTiger14

PG: Varez Ward, Josh Wallace

SG: Frankie Sullivan, Earnest Ross

SF/SG: Noel Johnson, Josh Langford

PF: Kenny Gabriel, Ty Armstrong

C: Adrian Forbes, Robb Chubb

This team definitely looks to be a lot better than last year.  Ward, Sullivan, and Johnson are probably the three best on the team and none of them even played last year. Our back court looks deep and strong.  I didn't even list Chris Denson who led the team in scoring the last game vs. UGA. The front court could again be an issue. Gabriel is long, athletic, high-flying, and can shoot if left open...but he isn't big enough to bang down low. And between Armstrong, Chubb, and Forbes I still don't see us having a consistent scorer down low.  The incoming freshman class has some players that could make an impact especially if we get Lacey. 

It's all guess work until we know who will be on the roster next year. Right now your list looks pretty good. The only thing I would change is to put Ross as the starter at the 3 and pencil Denson in as Frankie's backup at the 2.

I think Ross starts too.  The rest of it looks okay.

I hope Chubb is waiting tables at Provino's during all of our games next yr. 

Noel can't play till January i thought

That is correct. He has to wait until the fall semester is done. I will wait and see who's on the roster before I try to figure out who starts. For those who want to figure it out, please remember one thing. What we saw out of last year's team was not the full picture. Barbee runs a dribble drive offense. We did not run his offense in year one because we didn't have the talent to do it. You must have a point guard who can consistently drive the ball in the paint and either dish it outside, or finish in the paint. You must also have outside shooters who can knock down outside shots. We had neither on this team. Who can do what in his offense will have a lot to do with who plays and where they play.

It's pretty futile to predict at this point. We still have the late signing period, and no idea who returns.

My guess is there are at least two on the original poster's list that have played their last game in an Auburn uniform. While I think the early signees are good additions, I don't think this is a great class. However, if Barbee lands Lacey, it would be the biggest AU signee in several years. And, if Ward and Johnson produce, then Barbee will have quickly laid a nice foundation.

WDE!

It's pretty futile to predict at this point. We still have the late signing period, and no idea who returns.

My guess is there are at least two on the original poster's list that have played their last game in an Auburn uniform. While I think the early signees are good additions, I don't think this is a great class. However, if Barbee lands Lacey, it would be the biggest AU signee in several years. And, if Ward and Johnson produce, then Barbee will have quickly laid a nice foundation.

WDE!

But what's the point of signing Lacey?  I don't think he'll ever get the chance to step onto our court.

I didn't realize Johnson couldn't play till January, sorry. And yes I know it's early to be predicting such things and some players could leave, but it's not like anybody is turning pro so I'm just assuming everybody is going to be back. It's called a prediction because it's a guess. I'm not trying to name some official depth chart.  I'm excited for next year.  If we get Lacey we are adding 4 players to the team that are all probably better than anybody we had.  Plus, everybody else will be a year improved under Barbee's system.  Gabriel, Ross, and Denson showed flashes of good play but they had no help. IF we find someone to throw the ball to down low on a somewhat consistent basis, I honestly think making the NCAA tournament is a realistic goal for next season. 

I didn't realize Johnson couldn't play till January, sorry. And yes I know it's early to be predicting such things and some players could leave, but it's not like anybody is turning pro so I'm just assuming everybody is going to be back. It's called a prediction because it's a guess. I'm not trying to name some official depth chart.  I'm excited for next year.  If we get Lacey we are adding 4 players to the team that are all probably better than anybody we had.  Plus, everybody else will be a year improved under Barbee's system.  Gabriel, Ross, and Denson showed flashes of good play but they had no help. IF we find someone to throw the ball to down low on a somewhat consistent basis, I honestly think making the NCAA tournament is a realistic goal for next season. 

No one is turning pro, but there will have to be some turnover to make room for Barbee's signees. 2-4 players from last year's team will be gone.

As for signing Lacey, I've seen speculation both ways--he's a sure-thing to qualify, or he's a sure-thing not to. Regardless, we need to win some recruiting battles on high profile in-state guys, even if there is a strong possibility they won't qualify. We'll never be a major player if we do not show interest in the best players around.

We cannot control whether the kids qualify--that part is up to them.

WDE!

This team definitely looks to be a lot better than last year.  Ward, Sullivan, and Johnson are probably the three best on the team and none of them even played last year. Our back court looks deep and strong.  I didn't even list Chris Denson who led the team in scoring the last game vs. UGA. The front court could again be an issue. Gabriel is long, athletic, high-flying, and can shoot if left open...but he isn't big enough to bang down low. And between Armstrong, Chubb, and Forbes I still don't see us having a consistent scorer down low.  The incoming freshman class has some players that could make an impact especially if we get Lacey. 

Wallace won't be the backup PG next season, Denson will be. He's a walk-on and only there by necessity. Denson played much better by the end of the season and I think has a to be really, really good.

Willy Kouassi will be the starting C next season, and don't be surprised if either Forbes or Chubb are gone next season.

I also keep hearing that Ty Armstrong may move on as well....don't know, but watch for that too....

Wallace won't be the backup PG next season, Denson will be. He's a walk-on and only there by necessity. Denson played much better by the end of the season and I think has a to be really, really good.

Willy Kouassi will be the starting C next season, and don't be surprised if either Forbes or Chubb are gone next season.

I also keep hearing that Ty Armstrong may move on as well....don't know, but watch for that too....

I agree Denson could play over Wallace.  I just put Wallace at back-up because of his experience.  I also wouldn't be surprised if Chubb and/or Armstrong are gone next year since we have some guys coming in like Koussi that could play immediately.  But I have heard that Barbee really like Forbes since he plays with alot of energy and is still very raw, so I would be surprised if he wasn't on the team next year.

PG - Varez Ward, Chris Denson

SG - Frankie Sullivan, Cedrick Mcafee/Trevor Lacey

SF - Earnest Ross, Josh Langford (Until January)

PF - Kenny Gabriel, Ty Armstrong

C  - Willy Kouassi, Adrian Forbes

I think the backcourt can all be switched around and anybody listed as a PG or SG can play either. I think Ross will play the 3 until January then he might start backing up Noel. I really like Josh Langford though, if he can get in the weight room he has a chance to be the highest leaper and most freakish athlete on our team. I also like Willy starting at Center. He is so long he can block a ton of shots and I think he has enough coordination and ball skills to score a lot more than anybody we had down there last year. I really like this team it's pretty athletic and with Ward and Sullivan there's going to be a new found leadership that last year's team was missing. Having those two guys on the floor will make everybody else play better. If we can land Lacey, we really COULD have a NCAA tourney team but really a high-seed NIT team would be a huge accomplishment as well.

NO NO NO NO NO

1.Varez Ward,Chris Denson, Josh Wallace

2.Frankie Sullivan,Cedric McCafee,Chris Denson

3.Earnest Ross,Allen Payne/Josh Langford,Tony Neysmith/Benard Morena(i think Morena redshirts though)

4.Kenny Gabriel/Noel Johnson,Josh Langford,Benard Morena

5.Willy Kouassi,Rob Chubb,Adrian Forbes

I think Armstrong definately gets cut this was not the year to tear an ACL and not be 100% at all

The only player worse than Rob Chubb was Tony Neysmith.  Neither of these 2 guys are SEC caliber basketball players.  I bet Neysmith transfers. 

The only player worse than Rob Chubb was Tony Neysmith.  Neither of these 2 guys are SEC caliber basketball players.   I bet Neysmith transfers. 

neysmith wont transfer he has already transfered once in his career and he is going to be a senior next year so he would have to sit out his senior season(he has already been redshirted).now about chubb he really wasnt as bad as your making him out to be armstrong was way worse than chubb and forbes wasnt as good as chubb either

Agreed, Armstrong was a step behind Chubb and Forbes, but was coming back from an injury so I gave him a pass this season.  Of the 11 SEC teams we played this yr, ALL of them had at least 1 (and in some cases 2 or 3) better big men than Chubb.  Our "big man" was prob not in the top 20 at his position in the conference...that's not good enough.  When he gets the ball in the paint, he brings it to his waist most of the time, which causes it to get tied up or stolen, he is not strong or big enough to knock bodies under the net with SEC big men, and he looks like a lost puppy most of the time when he's in the game.  I just don't get the love for Chubb, he had one good game at So Car, two or three average games, SEVERAL terrible games, oh and he tried to fistfight the police DURING the season.  Tony Barbee and the Auburn basketball program can do better. 

Archived