Melvin Ray..

AUnCullman

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serious, yet sarcastic question: Will the Dodgers be able to afford this? They may not be able to make their $30 million payroll on the 30th.

If they can't make payroll MLB will take over and they will be responsible for honoring the contract until the franchise is sold.

Serious, yet sarcastic question: Will the Dodgers be able to afford this? They may not be able to make their $30 million payroll on the 30th.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

While it is a private Christian school, NFC is not known for producing top academic students who are fully prepared for college.

I spoke yesterday of this happening, from the same source who told me about RW. Just sent to me in an email and poached from autigers.com and a Mark Murphy post today the following.

"*On the subject of wide receivers, former pro baseball player Melvin Ray is trying to get himself academically qualified to be a walk-on to the Auburn football team in August. He recently retook his college board test. Ray was a four star prospect at North Florida Christian in Tallahassee in 2008. He signed with Alabama, but chose pro baseball, but he did not make it with the Dodgers organization so he wants to try football. Auburn had previous success with a pro baseball player turned wide receiver (Ronney Daniels).

My RW source was correct on Melvin Ray, will that trend continue?

Ray is trying to walk on, but he still has to qualify.  And, at this point, he has a long way to go.

will ray be able to come in and play this year if he qualifies academically?

I'm not an insider, but I'd think he'd be able to play this year, since he left bama to go play baseball, he's walking on and isn't stuck by his LOI at bama anymore.

will ray be able to come in and play this year if he qualifies academically?

I'm not an insider, but I'd think he'd be able to play this year, since he left bama to go play baseball, he's walking on and isn't stuck by his LOI at bama anymore.

Thats what i was thinking.

Is Ray coming in as a freshman? so he is eligible for 5 years with 4 playable years right?

Yes, he would have 5 to play 4, but it's probably a moot point because there aren't many 21 year old true freshmen who are gonna stick around for 5 more years.

This rumor has been out there a long while but the fact is that M.R. still has to qualify.  His most likely destination appears to be a JC school.  If he is able to qualify he will be an amazing addition.  Not too many years ago we were glad just to sign a a four star recruit.  Now we have them walking on in droves!

This rumor has been out there a long while but the fact is that M.R. still has to qualify.  His most likely destination appears to be a JC school.  If he is able to qualify he will be an amazing addition.  Not too many years ago we were glad just to sign a a four star recruit.  Now we have them walking on in droves!

Ray will not go to JC. That just makes absolutely NO sense!! Who leaves guaranteed money in baseball to play JC football? No, he'll get qualified. We all realize he has to make up a lot to get to where he wants, but if he isn't motivated at this point in his, now  amateur, career than he should've stayed with Dodgers Organization.

Ray will not go to JC. That just makes absolutely NO sense!! Who leaves guaranteed money in baseball to play JC football? No, he'll get qualified. We all realize he has to make up a lot to get to where he wants, but if he isn't motivated at this point in his, now  amateur, career than he should've stayed with Dodgers Organization.

He's done with baseball.  If he doesn't qualify, he may go JUCO.  But he also may just say enough's enough, and move on with his life.

I am not MR's life coach just passing along information. 

His baseball career was not going so well.  I think he realized he did not want to be a life time Minor League player.  He WANTS to play college football but if he does not have the grades he will not be allowed to play.  I am sure it is not his intent to play JC ball but he will be forced down that path if he cannot qualify.  There are MANY players who want to play D1 ball but their grades make them take a different path.  I am not saying he can't qualify but at this time signs point to him having to take a different path. 

I am not MR's life coach just passing along information. 

His baseball career was not going so well.  I think he realized he did not want to be a life time Minor League player.  He WANTS to play college football but if he does not have the grades he will not be allowed to play.  I am sure it is not his intent to play JC ball but he will be forced down that path if he cannot qualify.  There are MANY players who want to play D1 ball but their grades make them take a different path.  I am not saying he can't qualify but at this time signs point to him having to take a different path. 

I gotcha. Thanks for patiently explaining your point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anybody else heard hes enrolled at AU?

Former Alabama signee Melvin Ray is enrolled at Auburn and will be walking on to the football team. He will have four years of eligibility.

Per ST 10 minutes ago on Facebook.

Wow!  Our walk-on roster is better than some team's scholarship roster (gross overstatement).  I realize that some of these guys are getting scholarships, but the point is we are bringing in real talent apart from the 25 man signing limit.  That's how you get ahead of the game.

Who is Melvin Ray? position? Looked @ Rivals and Scout, couldn't find him? What year did he commit to them?

Archived