Will Latu

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rooks was not gonna graduate in Dec & on his visit he only weighed 270lbs, Those reasons we pulled the offer.

Latu will grad in Dec.

Grimes is the one who really wanted this done, from what I heard.

This must have really caught our Mods off guard since they have not pinned it yet.  :laugh:

Profile coming.

not a backup plan he had commited to west virginia  and I think they talked to him since rooks weight was not right for the sec and wasn't going to graduate early like chizik likes and decided will latu was a better choice they could have still taken rooks if they wanted to but once latu said he would switch the coaches backed off rooks. :tdau:

“If the program is badass, I’m with it,” he says. “Now all I have to do is hit the books and get out of [California] as soon as possible.”

I know this was said about WV but this guy seems highly motivated.  His part about being motivated in football be cause of his financial situation reminds ms of someone else.  I hope it will drive him as much as it did Nick.

Latu has an NFL ready body. He's super raw but the coaches are taking the chance since he's a DEC graduate. This is a guy who is going to find a starting spot somewhere on the line if he continues to progress in his new sport.

I don't get excited over recruits often, but this is a guy who I'm looking forward to having in the program.

Latu has an NFL ready body. He's super raw but the coaches are taking the chance since he's a DEC graduate. This is a guy who is going to find a starting spot somewhere on the line if he continues to progress in his new sport.

I don't get excited over recruits often, but this is a guy who I'm looking forward to having in the program.

He is very hungry and because of his background ... I can understand.  This young man wants to put food on the table and won't let anyone stand in his way.

I'm confused, it's being said he won't be a december grad.

Latu supposedly told Mark Murphy on the phone tonight that he would be a spring graduate.  I think it will be okay though if we think he is already physically capable of being in the SEC, the coaches would only take Rooks if he came in December because he needed to be Yoxed.

If that's the case, then I stand corrected. However, that also means that the coaches really, really like Latu since he won't be graduating early.

WILLIAM LATU

latu.jpg   933970.jpg

Offensive Lineman

College of the Canyons (Santa Clarita, California)

6-foot-5

315 lbs.

40: 5.1

Bench: 325

JUNIOR HIGHLIGHTS

RIVALS – NR OT

SCOUT - 3-star ~ #3 JUCO OT

24/7 Sports – NR OT

Other offers: Arizona, Arizona St, Arkansas St, Boise St, FIU, Kansas St, Louisville, New Mexico, Oregon St, Rutgers, South Florida, Utah, and West Virginia… with heavy interest from Miami, Oklahoma, and Oregon.

*NOTES: Latu is originally from St. Petersburg, FL. There he played one year for Gibbs High School before heading to South Dakota to play at Northern State University, a Division II school in Aberdeen, SD. After redshirting his first year and playing his second at NSU, Latu decided that he needed to play against better competition in order to get better. So he transferred again to the College of the Canyons in Valencia, California, where his uncle is an assistant coach.. Latu, who was said to have “dominated his JUCO competition last season, says that he will play as redshirt sophomore this season, graduate in the spring of 2012, and transfer to Auburn after that. When Latu gets to AU, he will have the opportunity to play against his brother, Jon Halapio, who is a redshirt sophomore at the University of Florida. Latu has a very interesting story, and at 20 years old, he has only played organized football at any level for 2 years. He has overcome several difficulties in his life to get where he is now. His story is a “must-read”, and you can read about it HERE and HERE. Latu, who is of Tongan descent, says that it was his relationship with Coach Jeff Grimes that made the decision to accept the offer to AU so easy. Grimes has recruited Latu for over a year, and ironically, it was only after AU decided to no longer pursue Latu’s former teammate at COC, Tavon Rooks, that Latu received his offer to AU. Latu had been previously committed to West Virginia University, but says that he was unaware that WVU was going to be on probation for the next two years when he accepted their offer. The proximity to his family was another big factor in Latu’s decision to make the switch to the Tigers. Having never been to Auburn, Latu says that he is anxious to take his first visit to the Plains and will do so for an official visit sometime in the fall, perhaps on Oct. 15, when AU hosts Florida. Latu says that his decision is firm and that his recruitment is over.

Per Scout.com

“It is a great opportunity for me to play in the SEC for the defending national champion,” he said of getting and accepting a recent scholarship offer from Auburn. "The SEC is a big conference and I want to be a part of that. It will help me get ready for the next level."

If that's the case, then I stand corrected. However, that also means that the coaches really, really like Latu since he won't be graduating early.

Latu says that there is a slim chance that he could be done by Dec, and that he would love for that to be the case, so that he could come to AU in Jan... but more-than-likely he will have to wait until the spring to graduate. There are, however, NO issues with his "academics". He was a full qualifier even out of HS. He just didn't have ANY interest from any D-1 schools since he had only played football for less than a year at the time. It wasn't until this past year at COC that he even got "noticed", and judging by the fact that he had accumulated 15 offers in that little amount of time and the fact that the AU coaches are willing to take him even though he probably won't get to AU until the Spring AND he will only have 2 years to play 2... he must have an ENORMOUS upside. I know one thing... I'm hoping that Latu, who is of "Tongan descent", can hopefully teach the AU team to do

... aka "Tongan War Dance".

Archived