Cameron Luper

CR

They aren't similar at all.

Back to Luper, if he weren't Lupers son would you still talk about this kid? I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but he seems like the average kid that takes advantage of awful high school tackling and he has an advantage because nobody is covering him most of the time.

I'm sorry, I just don't see him being a player at Auburn.

Luper runs a 4.34 forty. How many people do u know that run that fast.

You know how many guys they say run 4.3 forties every year? If you watched the same film as me, that's not 4.3 speed at all.

TXaubuie,

Take off your O&B blinders man, this kid is only getting attention here because who his father is.

NO!!! I will not take them off.  Thank you. 

To be honest I haven't seen him play or watched film on him.  I was commenting on your statement that he was taking advantage of weak tackling and lack of coverage.  If that was the case then everybody would not get tackled and would be wide open.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luper is playing 6A football in one of the tougher regions in the state of Alabama. Not sure how he could be playing a higher level of competition. I'm not a  scout, but he has outran defenders against some of the better teams in the state. Passing accuracy kinda comes and goes so I don't think QB is in his future in college. He seems to thrive on contact, I think CB or S will be a good fit for him.

I think WR, corner, safety is where he projects at the college level.  Although with some QB training he could be dynamic! 

Is he allowed (as the son of a coach, not a potential recruit) to work out and train with the players?  If so, would be interesting to see what Loeffler could do with him for his senior year.

He is just a kid that is electric with the ball in his hands...needs to be on the field somewhere for sure.

He has also run a hand timed 4.34 40.

AHSAA sanctions the 60 Meter Dash.  Luper finished 8th with a 7.51.  The first four finalists all beat the existing state record.   

Luper actually ran a 6.91  in the 60m dash earlier in the indoor season. He pulled up a little lame at the end of the the finals race on Saturday.

I think if Coach Luper is still on staff then Cam will be a tiger. Or at least I hope. He is an all around great athlete and I know we can find a place for him to play at Auburn. Plus we have had great success with kids name Cam!

• 2 months later...
Guest jrljr

Just watched his film for the first time. Incredible athlete!!! WE NEED HIM! He is one of those players and as a Coaches son you know he understands the game. Kid is a True Baller. Any news on if we get him?

Isn't it if you work for the University your kids go there free? If that is the case have him walk on so we dont have to burn a scholly!

Guest jrljr

Watching him dominate in 6-A football would be enough to make it happen IMO. He may not project at QB due to size or passing but he certainly knows how to tote the rock!

:dunno:

Isn't it if you work for the University your kids go there free? If that is the case have him walk on so we dont have to burn a scholly!

I know it's true for faculty members kids. Not sure about every employee.

Technically you would still have to burn a scholarship for him.

I know he has some D1 offers.  Not sure if one of them is from Auburn.   :dunno:

I'm pretty sure if you receive any kind of financial benefit then it counts towards the scholly limit.

What about the Hope (lottery-funded) scholarship athletes in other states?  Doesn't count toward the limit.  It's a huge advantage in baseball and track.  

But yes, I believe you are correct about this particular case.  The benefit would count toward the scholly limit.

I know he has some D1 offers.  Not sure if one of them is from Auburn.   :dunno:

I'm pretty sure if you receive any kind of financial benefit then it counts towards the scholly limit.

What about the Hope (lottery-funded) scholarship athletes in other states?  Doesn't count toward the limit.  It's a huge advantage in baseball and track.  

But yes, I believe you are correct about this particular case.  The benefit would count toward the scholly limit.

Football and basketball are bound by their total limits as they can`t offer partial schollies. The other sports you can give partial schollies so you can give an out of state kid a full or mostly full ride while the instate kid is on a hope schollie. Gives those schools a big advantage in total numbers.

I don't know too much about the scholarship rules but I do know that Auburn's basketball team has a walk-on 5'10" guard who has started many games the last two years and he is on a full academic scholarship and is an honor student in EE. He definitely does not count under the total eligible for basketball scholarships. It is my understanding the the rule is different for football and anyone who receives any sort of scholarship from the university would count under the limit in football. I was always told that this rule came about because coach Bryant would take a track guy and out him on the football team so it would not count. However, after he became successful there ( I can't even say the name in print) he did give Jerry Pate a football scholarship to play golf.

I don't know too much about the scholarship rules but I do know that Auburn's basketball team has a walk-on 5'10" guard who has started many games the last two years and he is on a full academic scholarship and is an honor student in EE. He definitely does not count under the total eligible for basketball scholarships. It is my understanding the the rule is different for football and anyone who receives any sort of scholarship from the university would count under the limit in football. I was always told that this rule came about because coach Bryant would take a track guy and out him on the football team so it would not count. However, after he became successful there ( I can't even say the name in print) he did give Jerry Pate a football scholarship to play golf.

I'm by no means an expert on the situation, but I believe I have heard somewhere that someone on academic scholarship can be on the team without counting against the scholarship limit if they are a true walk-on, in the sense that they were never actually recruited by the University for football (or in this case basketball). This keeps schools from putting their smarter recruits on academic scholarship simply to clear up scholarships, but also doesn't keep the smart walk-on, who's good enough to make the team, from making the team on the grounds that the coach would have to burn a scholly for him.  Again, not sure if this is 100% accurate, but it is what I have heard, and seems to make sense.

I'm by no means an expert on the situation, but I believe I have heard somewhere that someone on academic scholarship can be on the team without counting against the scholarship limit if they are a true walk-on, in the sense that they were never actually recruited by the University for football (or in this case basketball). This keeps schools from putting their smarter recruits on academic scholarship simply to clear up scholarships, but also doesn't keep the smart walk-on, who's good enough to make the team, from making the team on the grounds that the coach would have to burn a scholly for him.  Again, not sure if this is 100% accurate, but it is what I have heard, and seems to make sense.

I have a friend who had academic scholly to UA and was on the swim team--it counted against their number. She explained that it was NCAA reg. May have changed as this was years ago.

Guest jrljr

We could give CCL a $25-30K raise on top of what ever normal raise he would get in February. That should cover the tuition + room and board for Cam.

Whatever it takes. Kid is a baller! Know's the game and we would be crazy not to make it happen!!!  :aufb:

If his parents pay 100% of his college cost, he is not a counter against the limits.

I am not sure how this works when a parent is an employee of the school. Not sure if they would claim that the University was indirectly paying his way.

Archived