Cameron Luper

CR

Anybody think he may be waiting to see where dad may be next year?

Where would his father be going?

He is a Coach.  Coaches get offered jobs.  His name has come up the past two years for some Head Coaching jobs.

I've wondered this with both Luper & Taylor. Father/son package deals.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Cam goes to AU, Coach Luper will stay. I'd be more worried about Troop leaving.

I still think Coach Luper is going to have a bigger influence on this offense than just being the running backs coach. I still think the son will go to a Texas school for track and maybe play football as well. Trooper, however, I've been looking to get a small school head coaching job for some time. Luper seems more the type to get a job as an offensive coordinator at a bigger school before moving up to the head coaching level.

I don't think that it is as much of a factor as we may think. It would be nice for him to play for Dad but I think that a lot of times, coaches want their kids in the place that is best for the kid. I feel pretty good about CCL being in o&b next year but I don't know about Cam. I could see him wanting to go to TCU and run track too.

I don't think that it is as much of a factor as we may think. It would be nice for him to play for Dad but I think that a lot of times, coaches want their kids in the place that is best for the kid. I feel pretty good about CCL being in o&b next year but I don't know about Cam. I could see him wanting to go to TCU and run track too.

From what I've heard, he's more interested in track than football, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at Baylor, either.

I still think Coach Luper is going to have a bigger influence on this offense than just being the running backs coach. I still think the son will go to a Texas school for track and maybe play football as well. Trooper, however, I've been looking to get a small school head coaching job for some time. Luper seems more the type to get a job as an offensive coordinator at a bigger school before moving up to the head coaching level.

Good points Red. I think CCL is more likely to look to move along. I could see CTT staying for the long haul. He's got a good gig and is at the top rung for what he is best at. He would prob make a great hc somewhere but I think he's  a perfect fit where he is.

What does Cam run for his track team, 100, 200, 800 ? Still not sure if he comes to AU as a walk-on not to say he isn't good enough but because his dads a coach and tuition is half for employees. I know it would be hard to ask CCL to take one for the team. Hope to see Cam in O&B either way.

What does Cam run for his track team, 100, 200, 800 ? Still not sure if he comes to AU as a walk-on not to say he isn't good enough but because his dads a coach and tuition is half for employees. I know it would be hard to ask CCL to take one for the team. Hope to see Cam in O&B either way.

Seems simple to me if tuition is $40,000 and he gets to go for half price then give CCL $20,000 raise and its a wash. You add a great player without costing yourself a scholarship. But I am sure that is against NCAA or UA would have done this with sunseri and saved a scholly.

I personally think if Cam is good enough in the coaches' eye to receive a scholarship, he should be given one. He probably just wants to be like any other athlete and to be fair to him, if we want him, we should give him a normal scholly.

Wow. I hadn't been and I hope Coach Luper isn't going anywhere.

If Cam plays football at Auburn, he must be counted as a scholarship player.  Thems the rules.

Not if he is a walk on. Melvin Ray is a perfect example. He will play this year but since the Dodgers are paying his education he does not count against the 85 scholly limit.

Seems simple to me if tuition is $40,000 and he gets to go for half price then give CCL $20,000 raise and its a wash. You add a great player without costing yourself a scholarship. But I am sure that is against NCAA or UA would have done this with sunseri and saved a scholly.

Gotta be Ncca rule against this. Rule book is too thick for there not to be. If there isn't, there prob would be before we could use the loophole. Tis a nice thought though.

Seems logical to me.

If Cam plays football at Auburn, he must be counted as a scholarship player.  Thems the rules.

Not if he is a walk on. Melvin Ray is a perfect example. He will play this year but since the Dodgers are paying his education he does not count against the 85 scholly limit.

Melvin Ray's dad doesn't work for the University. 

Please find the rule then kind sir.

Track coach at AU son was a transfer from Minnesota and walkon at AU on the football team. I doubt he was a full price tuition student athlete. Sunseri may not have been on scholly since UA doesn't disclose who is and who isn't. However, he was counted on their recruiting rankings. Now this was before the SEC 25 rule.

Track coach at AU son was a transfer from Minnesota and walkon at AU on the football team. I doubt he was a full price tuition student athlete. Sunseri may not have been on scholly since UA doesn't disclose who is and who isn't. However, he was counted on their recruiting rankings. Now this was before the SEC 25 rule.

Sunseri signed a NLI which means he is on Scholly.

http://alabama.scout.com/a.z?s=14&p=8&c=1&nid=4629719

• 3 weeks later...

Summary of an article on the TAMU 247 site...

Luper just had his 1st UOV to TAMU. Has an offer from the Aggies. He gave the visit an 8 out of 10. He wants to run track in college so seeing the indoor facility was outstanding for him. He says he lit up as soon as he walked in. The key pluses that he looks for in a school were in place perfectly at TAMU. He said it was impressive and it felt like home. Being back in Texas felt like home. It’s a lot like Auburn. There’s a lot of tradition, it’s an SEC program and there’s really no cons about the place. Coach Luper loved the visit as a father also. Cam says the Aggie offense fits him perfectly. Coach Sumlin expressed need for Cam but not pressure for a commit. He is visiting TCU tomorrow. He loves TCU, A&M Auburn and can’t really rank one school over another. He wants to officially visit A&M for the Florida game to see the gameday atmosphere. He doesn't know when he will to commit but would like to get something done before the season, but if not, it won’t be too much longer.

He runs open 100, 200, 4x100, and long jump.  I'm pretty sure he won state in 3 of the 4 and the only reason he didn't win the open 100 was because he pulled up from some type of injury. VERY impressive looking athlete. Got to watch him long jump.. Wow. Also auburn high's 4x100 was very impressive.

So CL visited with him.  Us playing them must make that awkward.  I wonder if he came away with any inside info.

here is the rule, if he plays he has to count against the limit.  He doesn't count until he plays.:

15.5.1.2 Football or Basketball, Varsity Competition. In football or basketball, a student-athlete who

was recruited (see Bylaw 15.02.8) by the awarding institution and who receives institutional financial aid (as set

forth in Bylaw 15.02.4.1) granted without regard in any degree to athletics ability does not have to be counted

until the student-athlete engages in varsity intercollegiate competition (as opposed to freshman, B-team, subvarsity,

intramural or club competition) in those sports. For this provision to be applicable, there shall be on file

in the office of the athletics director certification by the faculty athletics representative, the admissions officer

and the chair of the financial aid committee that the student’s admission and financial aid were granted without

regard in any degree to athletics ability. (Revised: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93, 1/11/94, 6/20/04, 1/15/11 effective

8/1/11)

(in case you are wondering bylay 15.02.4.1 includes any form of tuition waiver).

here is the rule, if he plays he has to count against the limit.  He doesn't count until he plays.:

15.5.1.2 Football or Basketball, Varsity Competition. In football or basketball, a student-athlete who

was recruited (see Bylaw 15.02.8) by the awarding institution and who receives institutional financial aid (as set

forth in Bylaw 15.02.4.1) granted without regard in any degree to athletics ability does not have to be counted

until the student-athlete engages in varsity intercollegiate competition (as opposed to freshman, B-team, subvarsity,

intramural or club competition) in those sports. For this provision to be applicable, there shall be on file

in the office of the athletics director certification by the faculty athletics representative, the admissions officer

and the chair of the financial aid committee that the student’s admission and financial aid were granted without

regard in any degree to athletics ability. (Revised: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93, 1/11/94, 6/20/04, 1/15/11 effective

8/1/11)

(in case you are wondering bylay 15.02.4.1 includes any form of tuition waiver).

Appreciated but issue was settled weeks ago.

Archived