Cameron Luper

CR

If Cam plays football at Auburn, he must be counted as a scholarship player.  Thems the rules.

Not if he is a walk on. Melvin Ray is a perfect example. He will play this year but since the Dodgers are paying his education he does not count against the 85 scholly limit.

Melvin Ray's dad doesn't work for the University. 

Please find the rule then kind sir.

here is the rule, if he plays he has to count against the limit.  He doesn't count until he plays.:

15.5.1.2 Football or Basketball, Varsity Competition. In football or basketball, a student-athlete who

was recruited (see Bylaw 15.02.8) by the awarding institution and who receives institutional financial aid (as set

forth in Bylaw 15.02.4.1) granted without regard in any degree to athletics ability does not have to be counted

until the student-athlete engages in varsity intercollegiate competition (as opposed to freshman, B-team, subvarsity,

intramural or club competition) in those sports. For this provision to be applicable, there shall be on file

in the office of the athletics director certification by the faculty athletics representative, the admissions officer

and the chair of the financial aid committee that the student’s admission and financial aid were granted without

regard in any degree to athletics ability. (Revised: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93, 1/11/94, 6/20/04, 1/15/11 effective

8/1/11)

(in case you are wondering bylay 15.02.4.1 includes any form of tuition waiver).

Appreciated but issue was settled weeks ago.

Hadn't seen anyone post the rule for you, sorry for being late to the party :partey:

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Cam plays football at Auburn, he must be counted as a scholarship player.  Thems the rules.

Not if he is a walk on. Melvin Ray is a perfect example. He will play this year but since the Dodgers are paying his education he does not count against the 85 scholly limit.

Melvin Ray's dad doesn't work for the University. 

Please find the rule then kind sir.

here is the rule, if he plays he has to count against the limit.  He doesn't count until he plays.:

15.5.1.2 Football or Basketball, Varsity Competition. In football or basketball, a student-athlete who

was recruited (see Bylaw 15.02.8) by the awarding institution and who receives institutional financial aid (as set

forth in Bylaw 15.02.4.1) granted without regard in any degree to athletics ability does not have to be counted

until the student-athlete engages in varsity intercollegiate competition (as opposed to freshman, B-team, subvarsity,

intramural or club competition) in those sports. For this provision to be applicable, there shall be on file

in the office of the athletics director certification by the faculty athletics representative, the admissions officer

and the chair of the financial aid committee that the student’s admission and financial aid were granted without

regard in any degree to athletics ability. (Revised: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93, 1/11/94, 6/20/04, 1/15/11 effective

8/1/11)

(in case you are wondering bylay 15.02.4.1 includes any form of tuition waiver).

Appreciated but issue was settled weeks ago.

Hadn't seen anyone post the rule for you, sorry for being late to the party :partey:

It's cool. I was PMed with the clarification.

Okay, so let's look at this another way.  If I am a father of a Division I athlete who just so happens to coach Div I football.  I want what is best for my son.  I want my son to get a great education, as well as compete on the highest level of college athletics for the experiences, and I also want him to get the most out of his talent.  The latter in case he has aspirations of playing in the NFL.

Having said that, there are several schools where all of these things can happen.  As Auburn's coach and Recruiting Coordinator, CCL evaluates talent and how it should project in college and possibly to the NFL.  If my son is fast and I mean really fast, a skill position on offense may be perfect for him in college.  WR, Slot, even HB in some situations.  However, when projecting to the next level, 5'11"" WRs are not very high on NFL coaches lists.  They want the 6'4"-6'6" Go-To WRs.  I know before anyone says anything that there are receivers in the NFL who aren't 6'4".  I am looking at what is appealing to NFL Rosters.  Defensive Back coaches in the NFL don't flinch at guys who are 5'11" (still growing too by the way), can fly, and can jump out of the Gym.

Add to that, CCL's employer just hired two of the best guys in the country at grooming talent for NFL rosters at Defensive Back.  One of which is a former NFL defensive coordinator.  I would want my son to maximize his ability and future goals.  If I were CCL, I would have my son play DB for Willie Martinez and Brian Van Gorder at Auburn University so he has the best chance at the NFL.

i personally think this story of cam luper's UOV to a&m with his dad speaks volumes about the auburn staff's commitment to the best interests of the young men. no one is going to "force" or coerce this young man into doing anything other than what he wants to do and make that decision with facts. i think it plays like this:

luper is going to get a great education at tcu, a&m or auburn ... which is the first priority

luper wants to run track ... which of the 3 schools will be better for him?

he loves texas ... any of you guys who know folks from texas, know people from there love that state

he may NOT want to play under the shadow of his dad ... his dad at auburn could be a negative

he may want to play offense and not defense ... auburn is trending towards taller receivers and the other schools may provide him a better opportunity to play receiver at college

if the kid is good enough for a scholly then he should get one from auburn if that is where he wants to play ... he may not be high enough on the board to get one? therefore pushing him to another school. he is too talented to "technically" be a walkon

IMO, his friendships with the guys in and around the auburn program would be his biggest pull to auburn. i think he ends up at tcu or a&m ... tcu has great track program and a&m puts him in the sec. i think he plays receiver at the texas schools and DB at auburn.

i think coach luper is doing right by his son by being a father first and an auburn coach second. that is the only way this should play out.

i personally think this story of cam luper's UOV to a&m with his dad speaks volumes about the auburn staff's commitment to the best interests of the young men.  no one is going to "force" or coerce this young man into doing anything other than what he wants to do and make that decision with facts.  i think it plays like this:

luper is going to get a great education at tcu, a&m or auburn ... which is the first priority

luper wants to run track ... which of the 3 schools will be better for him?

he loves texas ... any of you guys who know folks from texas, know people from there love that state

he may NOT want to play under the shadow of his dad ... his dad at auburn could be a negative

he may want to play offense and not defense ... auburn is trending towards taller receivers and the other schools may provide him a better opportunity to play receiver at college

if the kid is good enough for a scholly then he should get one from auburn if that is where he wants to play ... he may not be high enough on the board to get one?  therefore pushing him to another school.  he is too talented to "technically" be a walkon

IMO, his friendships with the guys in and around the auburn program would be his biggest pull to auburn.  i think he ends up at tcu or a&m ... tcu has great track program and a&m puts him in the sec.  i think he plays receiver at the texas schools and DB at auburn.

i think coach luper is doing right by his son by being a father first and an auburn coach second.  that is the only way this should play out.

I have seen Cam play and I think that he is a whale of a baller. I want him to go where his heart leads him but would love to see him at Auburn. I hink that you are right about the way the program is run now, with the interest of the player at heart. I believe that it will always be the case as long as CGC is the man in charge.

Coach Luper is doing exactly what a father should by allowing his son to go where he wants and being an objective father when he considers other schools.  I am sure Luper wants his son to pay for him. How proud would that make any father, but he wants him happy first more and that I can respect. Having said that I hope there is someway he makes it to Auburn. He is this years Gerig Deiter(sp?) for me. I really wanted him and thought he could help us in some way. I feel the same about Luper. HE is a great athlete who may be able to fit in a couple of positions. I would like to see him do returns and pay db. Wish him the best either way.

BMatt on CL...

He's not going to walk-on. He's going to be a scholarship athlete at a school of his choice. Don't think it will be Auburn at this time but that could change.

Coach Luper is doing exactly what a father should by allowing his son to go where he wants and being an objective father when he considers other schools.  I am sure Luper wants his son to pay for him. How proud would that make any father, but he wants him happy first more and that I can respect. Having said that I hope there is someway he makes it to Auburn. He is this years Gerig Deiter(sp?) for me. I really wanted him and thought he could help us in some way. I feel the same about Luper. HE is a great athlete who may be able to fit in a couple of positions. I would like to see him do returns and pay db. Wish him the best either way.

I agree....and a couple good seasons at AU and Coach Luper will be moving along.  He has been on some "short lists" already and if Cam were to attend AU, there is no assurance that his father would still be on the staff for most of his career.  He should go where he thinks he fits best.  AU has not shown much willingness to allow football players to participate in other sports...and if CL enjoys running track, he will probably need to go out west.  Good luck to him on whatever he decides.

AU has not shown much willingness to allow football players to participate in other sports...and if CL enjoys running track, he will probably need to go out west.  Good luck to him on whatever he decides.

Well don't tell Jeremy Johnson this. He is under the impression he will be playing for the Barbee Doll

I really think we should offer. But We don'thave a slot right now, it's too bad

FIFY

Have people not been paying attention to the constant attrition threads. Even if we are able to sign 23-24, what makes people think we don't move to greater positions of need such as interior OL or FB or OJ Howard?

Honestly, as much as Luper impresses me as an athlete, I kinda think he'd be better off at one of the Texas schools primarily because I think he wants to run track at least as much as play football, and while I feel sure he'd be allowed to do both at any of the schools on his list, at Auburn I would imagine he'll be expected to focus more on football, whereas A&M or TCU might be more willing to allow him to focus more on track and just be appreciative of the help he gives the football team. But then, that's 100% pure speculation, because I have no idea what he wants out of college athletics.

Honestly, as much as Luper impresses me as an athlete, I kinda think he'd be better off at one of the Texas schools primarily because I think he wants to run track at least as much as play football, and while I feel sure he'd be allowed to do both at any of the schools on his list, at Auburn I would imagine he'll be expected to focus more on football, whereas A&M or TCU might be more willing to allow him to focus more on track and just be appreciative of the help he gives the football team. But then, that's 100% pure speculation, because I have no idea what he wants out of college athletics.

Plus IMO he would be a better reciever in their offenses which is where TCU and TAMU you are recruiting him yo play.

AU has not shown much willingness to allow football players to participate in other sports...and if CL enjoys running track, he will probably need to go out west.  Good luck to him on whatever he decides.

Well don't tell Jeremy Johnson this. He is under the impression he will be playing for the Barbee Doll

Let's see..basketball's midnight madness is in middle October and football wraps up in early January in a good year....about half way through the basketball season. 

I would love to see him at Auburn. But what I want more is for him to go to the school of his choice be it Auburn or one of the Texas schools. A lot of kids love their parents, family, and home town but still want to go away to college to allow themselves to grow and spread their wings. So whatever school he wants to go to I will be happy for him.

I was thinking A&M

Better competition in the SEC but the track programs are the same at TCU and TAMU but he will have the opportunity to play for championshps at TCU so it will be interesting to see.

I hope he comes here. I was listening to Sport's Call earlier, one of the guy's was saying he is a tremendous athlete. WR's is something we can use IMO.

I hope he comes here. I was listening to Sport's Call earlier, one of the guy's was saying he is a tremendous athlete. WR's is something we can use IMO.

Yeah but we have to offer for him to come to us.

Hope we do..

Archived