NCAA documentation of Cam's recruitment

n2hoops

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/11/ncaa_documents_show_how_it_alm.html

Great job by our coaching staff and our compliance department - as we knew all along!! I heard rumors of how close we came before the UGA game - wow, sounds like it was down to the day prior......and then heading into the SEC Championship game.

:we:

http://media.ledger-enquirer.com/smedia/2011/11/04/14/05/13P5h3.So.70.pdf

After reading this I am still amazed that MSU has been able to skate on the actions of Bond, Rogers and the MSU coaches.  All the discussions of money are with "representatives" of MSU and AU's name gets dragged through the mud.

:banghead:

Probably nothing will ever come of it at MSU.  But nothing in these documentation exonerates them either so for all we know, the NCAA is still looking at them.

As for punishment, how about taking away their cow bells.

I still say Rogers and Bond were trying to line their pockets by scamming Bill Bell.

This says a lot about AU, Cam, and this coaching staff :wareagle:

I even have to credit to the ncaa for being thorough, hope they are as thorough when the wind blows through west vance....but that's another story ;D

:we:

Amazing that we did such a great job keeping Cam playing last season.

After reading the story posted.

It's a wonder it did not go south, but thanks to hard work by Auburn they were able to keep the upper hand.

I consider having to play at MSU a punishment in itself. How can you punish a program like that?

:beatmullet:

:tdau:  Love it!  Look at "Bully" and you know it's true!  Banish the cowbell!

Nothing will happen to MSU because Cam didn't commit to them.  Can't have 'pay-for-play' without pay or play.

Yeah, but you can't go around telling kids parents you can get them money if their son signs with "X" University either. What they did was against the rules.

Nothing will happen to MSU because Cam didn't commit to them.  Can't have 'pay-for-play' without pay or play.

Yeah, but you can't go around telling kids parents you can get them money if their son signs with "X" University either. What they did was against the rules.

That is the way I see it also.  Just what capacity were Kenny Rogers, John Bond, and Bill Bell functioning as in MSU's recruitment of Cam Newton? 

And what pisses me off as an Auburn fan is MSU having the gall to bypass the SEC protocol, turn Auburn in to the NCAA (after ignoring the SEC office's request for information), and leak it to the press because MSU people had unsuccessfully tried to buy Cam for MSU.  MSU should get burnt for that as it is just wrong in many ways.  If MSU felt Cam was ineligible they should have stopped recruiting him, but they didn't, what they did was to try and cause problems for Auburn in the middle of their season when it was apparent Auburn was making a run at the championship.

I read through all the pages and I think that reason the NCAA took so long was because they were determined to nail AU on something. It is obvious that they had reason to say violations occurred, but AU counsel basically pointed out that based on bylaws this doesn't meet the requirements of the alleged violation and also pointed out to them that there was no precendence for this exact scenario and that their bylaws were inconsist as written. They also showed why they should not be considered agents in this situation.

I think that the AU lawyers let the NCAA know that they will not be bullied. I could see how this could have escalated to the courts if the NCAA had not let him play. AU did not do anything wrong and was not going to let some other schools wrong doing screw up their season. That being said, I read how it cost AU on the order of about $200,000 in attorney fees to fight this. I know some wanted AU to speak out publicly and defend itself and some thought this was hurting the university, but when they went to the no comment mode....it was all in the hands of legal counsel. I am sure most schools obtain counsel for such reasons, but don't know if they would for an eligibility issue. You remember

when the NCAA basically announced they were changing rules because this should not be allowed to happen again? It was because they got schooled on how they have loopholes in their bylaws.

I know I wrote a lot about what we already knew, they just got pissed because they couldn't bully us and just decided to dig until they found something. When you run a clean program you can do this because you can pass all of the scrutiny and investigation. Hope it continues to be as clean.

Just my thoughts.

That is the way I see it also.  Just what capacity were Kenny Rogers, John Bond, and Bill Bell functioning as in MSU's recruitment of Cam Newton? 

And what pisses me off as an Auburn fan is MSU having the gall to bypass the SEC protocol, turn Auburn in to the NCAA (after ignoring the SEC office's request for information), and leak it to the press because MSU people had unsuccessfully tried to buy Cam for MSU.  MSU should get burnt for that as it is just wrong in many ways.  If MSU felt Cam was ineligible they should have stopped recruiting him, but they didn't, what they did was to try and cause problems for Auburn in the middle of their season when it was apparent Auburn was making a run at the championship.

To me, the question has always been just WHO actually did turn Auburn in to the NCAA last year? Was it MSU? Would they wanted to risk the season they were having, which was a good one by MSU standards, to be drawn into the middle of a potential mess between AU, the Newtons, and the NCAA? Or, could it have been someone else who had knowledge, maybe even first-hand knowledge, of the dealings with the Newtons and MSU? I think you may know where---or to whom---my observation is leading.

my guess it all came from Urban and that is why he is not coaching now UF had to get him out of the picture. Too much stuff came out of UF on Cam and the source Urban. Who is close friends of Head Coach MSU Mullen - Urban.

I don't see how any honest person could claim that the NCAA did not pull out all the stops in their investigation.  The national media had already convicted Auburn and Cam.  The NCAA had a lot to lose if it did not confirm "what everyone knows".  They spent a lot of money on this investigation....probably  several times more than AU spent on legal fees.    80+/- interviews, phone records , bank records, threatening letters if AU did not cooperate, etc.  Short of rubber hoses or water-boarding I don't know what else people expected NCAA to do. They found nothing because there was nothing to find. 

IMO, MSU's fingerprints are all over this issue....their coaches apparently discussed money with their former players...and that is according comments by their own former players.    The only way MSU could escape big problems was to lie to the NCAA about their involvment and point the finger at AU. 

Maybe--just maybe--we can put this behind us. I doubt it, because I don't see anyone giving in about how we just bought the NCAA off or whatever, but I can hope.

To me, the question has always been just WHO actually did turn Auburn in to the NCAA last year? Was it MSU? Would they wanted to risk the season they were having, which was a good one by MSU standards, to be drawn into the middle of a potential mess between AU, the Newtons, and the NCAA? Or, could it have been someone else who had knowledge, maybe even first-hand knowledge, of the dealings with the Newtons and MSU? I think you may know where---or to whom---my observation is leading.

MSU was having a good season by their standards.  UF/Urban Meyer was NOT having a good season by UF standards, and it was mainly because UM didn't have a QB worth a crap last year. 

MSU was having a good season by their standards.  UF/Urban Meyer was NOT having a good season by UF standards, and it was mainly because UM didn't have a QB worth a crap last year. 

But Florida was not involved with the MSU folks who were talking money to get Cam to MSU and had nothing to turn in to the NCAA... leaking it to the press is another matter and they may have done that.  The Florida folks I know were besides themselves over what their ex-qb (Cam) and Auburn were doing in comparison to how their qb play looked and their team was doing.  They were seriously butthurt, mad as hell, and wanted to trash Cam and Auburn.  The MSU folks were the same way, FWIW.

And what pisses me off as an Auburn fan is MSU having the gall to bypass the SEC protocol, turn Auburn in to the NCAA (after ignoring the SEC office's request for information), and leak it to the press because MSU people had unsuccessfully tried to buy Cam for MSU.   MSU should get burnt for that as it is just wrong in many ways.  If MSU felt Cam was ineligible they should have stopped recruiting him, but they didn't, what they did was to try and cause problems for Auburn in the middle of their season when it was apparent Auburn was making a run at the championship.

Just from the outside looking in, and from everything I read, I don't think any of that is right. From my understanding of the situation...MSU reported this to the SEC in January. The SEC told MSU that there was not enough info there and the SEC needed more info. The SEC continued to contact MSU but MSU never followed up on it. In July the SEC turned over what they had to Auburn. Auburn did their own investigation and turned over what they had to the NCAA in early August because Cam was our starting QB. As far as being leaked to the media, from everything I have read on it we can thank our buddy urban meyer for that. MSU wanted to keep it as quiet as Auburn did IMO.

Archived