• Created
  • Last Reply

my starting line up next game

PG Josh Wallace

SG Chris Denson

SF Josh Langford

PF Kenny Gabriel

C Willy Kouassi

I agree except with Ward in place of Wallace. Why hasnt Langford played more? He is the only "tough" person we have on this team.

PG Josh Wallace

SG Chris Denson

SF Josh Langford

PF Kenny Gabriel

C Willy Kouassi

I agree except with Ward in place of Wallace. Why hasnt Langford played more? He is the only "tough" person we have on this team.

nope ward cant hit a jumpshot anymore

PG Josh Wallace

SG Chris Denson

SF Josh Langford

PF Kenny Gabriel

C Willy Kouassi

Can Wallace?  :laugh:

Ouch..just got home awhile ago and had forgotten about the early start....was trying to get the game on ESPN3 but had problems...thought I would at least check the score...glad I missed the game.   Barbee has his work cut out for himself...but mostly these are his players now and it's up to him to square things away...may take another couple years but I think he has it in him.

PG Josh Wallace

SG Chris Denson

SF Josh Langford

PF Kenny Gabriel

C Willy Kouassi

Can Wallace?  :laugh:

but wallace can actually get into the lane and finish and he doesnt turn it over so much

Very discouraging.  I'm not sure what the problem is with this team.  I do know I have my suspicions but they will not be posted on a message board.  Let's go guys!!  WAR EAGLE!!!  

Blink twice if your "suspicions" have anything to do with a lack of chemistry between the players on the court and the coach on the sideline...

Okay, this might take some space, so here goes...this FSU team, sans their 1st round NBA pick Chris what's his face from last yr's team, obviously remembered their crappy performance against an inferior AU team last year and took care of their business to the embarrassment of AU.  This team looks like they have no heart, no desire to compete once things get tougher than the vaunted Bethune-Cookman's and Flordia A&M's of the world at Auburn Arena.  They absolutely fall apart.  Happened at SH, in Hawaii, and now in Tallahassee.  This team obviously is just a bunch of un-connected parts that doesn't really know what they're ultimately trying to do (win a bball game) or how to really go about doing it.  They don't have an understanding of team basketball at the D1 level; they didn't last year and they don't this year.  I know CTB is an articulate, knowledgeable professional, but what he's saying and doing is not working with these players. 

What happened to Frankie Sullivan?  Under Lebo, he was setting himself up as a future team leader/SEC star his Frosh and Soph yrs.  He led the SEC in free throw % his soph yr. and he had some SWEET moves.  I know the blown knee was tough last year, but his lack of production to me is, quite frankly, shocking, and it makes me think that this team's players don't respect or respond to CTB's coaching style.  We definitely needed to let Coach Lebo go and find a replacement that would work, but in 1.5 yrs now, I just don't see an improvement.  I mean, if we had a premiere coach like Coach K., Pitino, Donovan, etc., do you think this same team of players would look this terrible at this point in?  I don't think so.  I don't expect to have as poor a performance for the rest of this bball season by this AU team, but that's not saying much, b/c it frankly couldn't get worse than tonight. 

So, having said this, is the problem that the players don't like/respect CTB as coach or as a person, and they're just not coming together under his leadership, and the result is the weak product displayed on the hardwood?  Or is it a matter of Coach Barbee just not having enough of "his" players to work with (see the attrition of Coach Ellis' players Lebo's 1st couple of yrs.)?  Something is terribly off in the men's BB "program," and it shows.  Whether it's this week, this season, or whenever, for AU to get any better, their mindset has to completely do a 180, and I'm at a loss for how or when that's going to happen.  A historical triple-double didn't do it; getting back Noel Johnson and Varez Ward didn't do it; getting back a "healthy" Frankie Sullivan didn't do it.  Having a cupcake non-conf. schedule mostly at home hasn't done it.

I am sincerely at the point where I now have real doubts re: Coach Barbee's ability to break through with men's basketball at Auburn.  It is still way too early for a final verdict, but evidence is there that it just might not be a good fit at Auburn.  Zero real improvement over a season and a half gives serious reason to wonder.  War Eagle.

Well... while you doubt everything there is about Auburn basketball, they'll be in the gym and on the courts preparing with their coach that you just wrote off after 1 and a third seasons.  I completely forgot the amount of talent we had when Barbee got here. 

When you talk abot Varez Ward you're talking about a player that hasn't played in 2 years until this season.  When you talk about Noel Johnson you're talking about a guy that hasn't played in a year and is playing with a wrist injury.  When you talk about Frankie you're talking about a guy that is coming off a knee injury. 

Just know this, the players listen to and respond to Barbee's coaching.  Florida State is one of the most experienced teams in the nation.  They're one of the biggest teams in the nation. They even have one the best defenses in the nation.  Did we play a good basketball game? No.  Did Florida State? One of their best of the season. 

I'm not sure you realize just how down Auburn basketball was. 

Well... while you doubt everything there is about Auburn basketball, they'll be in the gym and on the courts preparing with their coach that you just wrote off after 1 and a third seasons.  I completely forgot the amount of talent we had when Barbee got here. 

When you talk abot Varez Ward you're talking about a player that hasn't played in 2 years until this season.  When you talk about Noel Johnson you're talking about a guy that hasn't played in a year and is playing with a wrist injury.  When you talk about Frankie you're talking about a guy that is coming off a knee injury. 

Just know this, the players listen to and respond to Barbee's coaching.  Florida State is one of the most experienced teams in the nation.  They're one of the biggest teams in the nation. They even have one the best defenses in the nation.  Did we play a good basketball game? No.  Did Florida State? One of their best of the season. 

I'm not sure you realize just how down Auburn basketball was. 

And I'm not sure you realize the full implications of tonight's horrific performance (on top of other baffling performances in both wins and losses at home and on the road) to the quality of this team this year.  And we're actaully 1 and 14/31 of a season into CTB's tenure to be exact.

I don't doubt everything, just whether or not CTB's tenure is going to be an overall improvement to Lebo's.  That's it.  I'm not giving up on this team...I'll still look forward to listening to/watching each game whether on radio, t.v., or in person as I have going back every year to the time of Coach Tommy Joe Eagles. I am a true Auburn fan, but I do have a quirk of being extremely rational even when it comes across as cynical to fellow Tiger fans.  I have defended Barbee multiple times, and still think he's a gifted, intelligent coach.  I want him to succeed at AU, and I by no means have written him off.  I just have flashbacks to Lebo, whom I thought was a gifted coach/teacher of the game, but never turned the corner for AU bball.  Just don't want to waste another 5 or 6 years, and tonight's, and other nights', performance(s) has left real room for that question.  Thanks for the response!  War Eagle!

I will admit to not being a superbly knowledgable basketball guy ... I am going to make the assumption that Barbee is what he was advertised to be ... sonny smith has my respect as a smart/experienced basketball coach ...

smith said over and over and over and over and over what these players needed to do during the game tonight and they finally started doing it in the second half ... guess what, the started playing better

barbee has repeatedly said after games the team needs to play tougher and better defense when we get into the meat of the schedule.  i will give the team a pass against SH and even the difficult travel to hawaii, but not tonight.  lose a game to a very experienced team with phenomenal D, i get it, sonny smith said how good fsu's D/shot blocking/rebounding was before and during the game.  we got beat by a better team ... but 30 in the first half!!!!

this team is simply not responding to the coaching.  dont know why.  they seem to be talented enough to make an NIT run this year, but not if they play like tonight.   good grief.  these kids need to get their heads out of their backsides.  i was more impressed by the heart shown last year.  they feel like they are underperforming this year.  they are better than last year, but their ceiling is much higher than what they have shown.

Guys, give Barbee time.  I think he deserves to finish out this year and the next and see where he goes from there.  Last year we were losing to teams that we are beating now.  We had ELEVEN wins last year.  We already have ten now.  Barbee is trying to teach these kids how to win first.  Remember what he did at UTEP?  Every year their record improved for like three straight years. 

:wareagle:

Okay, this might take some space, so here goes...this FSU team, sans their 1st round NBA pick Chris what's his face from last yr's team, obviously remembered their crappy performance against an inferior AU team last year and took care of their business to the embarrassment of AU.  This team looks like they have no heart, no desire to compete once things get tougher than the vaunted Bethune-Cookman's and Flordia A&M's of the world at Auburn Arena.  They absolutely fall apart.  Happened at SH, in Hawaii, and now in Tallahassee.  This team obviously is just a bunch of un-connected parts that doesn't really know what they're ultimately trying to do (win a bball game) or how to really go about doing it.  They don't have an understanding of team basketball at the D1 level; they didn't last year and they don't this year.  I know CTB is an articulate, knowledgeable professional, but what he's saying and doing is not working with these players. 

What happened to Frankie Sullivan?  Under Lebo, he was setting himself up as a future team leader/SEC star his Frosh and Soph yrs.  He led the SEC in free throw % his soph yr. and he had some SWEET moves.  I know the blown knee was tough last year, but his lack of production to me is, quite frankly, shocking, and it makes me think that this team's players don't respect or respond to CTB's coaching style.  We definitely needed to let Coach Lebo go and find a replacement that would work, but in 1.5 yrs now, I just don't see an improvement.  I mean, if we had a premiere coach like Coach K., Pitino, Donovan, etc., do you think this same team of players would look this terrible at this point in?  I don't think so.  I don't expect to have as poor a performance for the rest of this bball season by this AU team, but that's not saying much, b/c it frankly couldn't get worse than tonight. 

So, having said this, is the problem that the players don't like/respect CTB as coach or as a person, and they're just not coming together under his leadership, and the result is the weak product displayed on the hardwood?  Or is it a matter of Coach Barbee just not having enough of "his" players to work with (see the attrition of Coach Ellis' players Lebo's 1st couple of yrs.)?  Something is terribly off in the men's BB "program," and it shows.  Whether it's this week, this season, or whenever, for AU to get any better, their mindset has to completely do a 180, and I'm at a loss for how or when that's going to happen.  A historical triple-double didn't do it; getting back Noel Johnson and Varez Ward didn't do it; getting back a "healthy" Frankie Sullivan didn't do it.  Having a cupcake non-conf. schedule mostly at home hasn't done it.

I am sincerely at the point where I now have real doubts re: Coach Barbee's ability to break through with men's basketball at Auburn.  It is still way too early for a final verdict, but evidence is there that it just might not be a good fit at Auburn.  Zero real improvement over a season and a half gives serious reason to wonder.  War Eagle.

You're crazy if you think Barbee isn't right for this job. These players have not had a chance to mold together yet. Not only that, Frankie, Noel, and Varez all haven't played competively in a year.

You're crazy if you think Barbee isn't right for this job. These players have not had a chance to mold together yet. Not only that, Frankie, Noel, and Varez all haven't played competively in a year.

Name calling is 1 way to go, but please provide ample evidence to support your claim that Barbee has proved to you that he is right for the job.  BTW, I don't think he's definitely NOT right for the job (too early to make that call, and I said that)--he may turn things completely around, and I truly hope he does, but please don't read my post and just shoot back with "I'm crazy if I have this or that opinion," and then fail to provide your own detailed reasons why you think you're more correct. 

Re: your input, yes, the 3 contributors you mentioned have, as it turns out, all dealt with injuries to come back from, and VW and NJ dealt with the transfer sit-a-year rule.  Sitting out a year doesn't mean being shackled in a Philippine guerilla prison hut for a year and a half without the ability to practice, learn, be coached, etc.  The year off should have provided them an opp. to mold/meld with CTB and their teammates.  This is basketball--it doesn't take months and dozens of "competitive" games to "gel" if you're going to work together.  So, the "team hasn't had a chance to mold together (after dozens of practices, conditioning workouts, etc. and 14 games into the season)" and because 3 players "haven't played much/at all competitively in over a year" just doesn't hold much water with me.

Thanks for your opinion, which I respect greatly, and for commenting on mine.  We ALL hope the season turns around against a consistently tougher conference schedule!  WE!

Our problem is lack of depth and talent on the inside.  Chubb is erratic and physically inferior to higher competition.  After him we don't have anyone on the inside who can score.  The talent level just isn't there yet especially down low.

Archived