New DC wants bigger LB's

yeaauburn

gthunder, Everytime I would bring up that Roof needed to recruiting bigger LB's, some people on here kept telling me I didn't know what I was talking about and that I should trust that Roof knows what he's doing. -- Yeah buddy.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's about time we had a DC who wants bigger LB's. I'm liking coach VanGorder more and more. Now maybe some of yall will be wanting bigger LB's too. I've been sayign for a long while, but some of you agreed with the size of linebackers Roof was bringing in most of the time. 6-0, 195 to 200 pounders.

ROOF'S LBS WERE THE SAME SIZE!

Gaston 6'4" 225

Freeman 5'11" 218

Holland 6'1" 228

White 6'2" 220

Curry 6'2" 215

Owens 6'2" 225

Frost 6'3" 210

Garrett 6'2" 190

Landrum 6'2" 220

McKinzy 6'2" 224

Mitchell 6'2" 200

STOP BLAMING ROOF FOR EVERYTHING.

But its so much fun.... Just like blaming Tubs. It's one of many AU fans favorite past times  :laugh:

gthunder, Everytime I would bring that Roof needed to recruiting bigger LB's, some people on here kept telling me I didn't know what I was talking about and that I should trust that Roof knows what he's doing. Yeah buddy.

the numbers are four post above that prove your claim wrong. Sorry, but you are wrong.

Since we are on the subject of Linebackers this is a little off track but its a source of irritation for me because I am old school. Does anybody besides me wish that our LBs had numbers "IN THE 50s" the way they are suppose to, like in the old days ? 

I want to spot my LBs faster and these dad gum oddball numbers are just not right I tell you.  >:(  grrrrrrr

(Ok back to our regularly scheduled LB discussion. I feel better now. )

Since we are on the subject of Linebackers this is a little off tract but its a source of irritation for me because I am old school. Does anybody besides me wish that our LBs had numbers "IN THE 50s" the way they are suppose to like in the old days ? 

I want to spot my LBs faster and these dad gum oddball numbers are just not right I tell you.  >:(  grrrrrrr

The worst for me is DL with number like 6 and 7 like South Carolina's DL. I prefer to see my 320 lbs DT in #99 than a single digit. LBs I kinda like the teens for some reason. Probably because Dansby, Blackmon and Bynes are 3 of the most LBs I've seen at Auburn

Since we are on the subject of Linebackers this is a little off tract but its a source of irritation for me because I am old school. Does anybody besides me wish that our LBs had numbers "IN THE 50s" the way they are suppose to like in the old days ? 

The worst for me is DL with number like 6 and 7 like South Carolina's DL. I prefer to see my 320 lbs DT in #99 than a single digit. LBs I kinda like the teens for some reason. Probably because Dansby, Blackmon and Bynes are 3 of the most LBs I've seen at Auburn

That is my second one, the DL numbers, but it doesnt bother me "quite" as much because they get buried in the scrum quickly. That, plus if you see one of those big uglies in the open field, you know he isnt a DB, lol. 

gthunder, Everytime I would bring up that Roof needed to recruiting bigger LB's, some people on here kept telling me I didn't know what I was talking about and that I should trust that Roof knows what he's doing. -- Yeah buddy.

I only said that to you 41 out of the 63 times you brought it up. I did not say it everytime

I only said that to you 41 out of the 63 times you brought it up. I did not say it everytime

:laugh: :laugh:

A lot fo you did. But as it turned out, I was dead on right. Roof should have been signing bigger linebackers all along.

I want some big, nasty sob's back there too but its not like we've been recruiting runts to play LB. Remember, these guys are coming out of high school and have a lot of growing to do.

What is size at linebacker if there is no speed. I pray for SPEEDY, HUGE LBs. I was hoping they would let Angelo Blackson play MLB since that was his position in HS. Looking at his highlight tapes, he was a baby Levon Kirkland. 7 fast DL sized men on the field at one time. I know, I'm dreaming right.

A lot fo you did. But as it turned out, I was dead on right. Roof should have been signing bigger linebackers all along.

Again he was.... I will requote Bird's post for you...

It's about time we had a DC who wants bigger LB's. I'm liking coach VanGorder more and more. Now maybe some of yall will be wanting bigger LB's too. I've been sayign for a long while, but some of you agreed with the size of linebackers Roof was bringing in most of the time. 6-0, 195 to 200 pounders.

Gaston 6'4" 225

Freeman 5'11" 218

Holland 6'1" 228

White 6'2" 220

Curry 6'2" 215

Owens 6'2" 225

Frost 6'3" 210

Garrett 6'2" 190

Landrum 6'2" 220

McKinzy 6'2" 224

Mitchell 6'2" 200

I wanted Roof fired but it's not like we've been bringing in shrimps to play LB.... Only 2 guys were 200 lbs or lower and only on under 6'0". But I am not sure why I am even trying to discuss this with you...

You were right and I was wrong a4e, but I actually said we needed bigger

I know this has been said quite often, but I believe the D is in really good hands. I think there will be marked improvement this year and that it will only get better. I haven't felt this optimistic about our D in quite a while. Great mixture of talent, experience, and coaching.

Agree with this. For the first time in a while, I feel the D is in good hands. We do need bigger LB's. no question. At this point, I do not know that we have the ideal personel as it seems like we will have to sacrifice some speed and quickness for size unless some guys can put on that size effectively without losing anything. We have been absolutley getting killed for 3 years now in recruiting the elite size and speed in the LB position as they are all going to be sitting on the bench in turdville. A lot of those guys made poor decisions and will spend their career on the bench in east mississippi, but all that will change going forward with BVG.

We are in good hands now. We may not have the ideal elite talent in the LB position, but BVG will develop what we have to the point where it is elite or close to it.

By midseason, we're all going to be raving about how well our linebackers are playing. The talent is there, and now the LB coaching guru is there. Hopefully add Martinez to polish up our outstanding talent in the secondary, and our D is gonna be legen.. wait for it...

She did too.

She did too.

POW. BOOM. ZING.

Again he was.... I will requote Bird's post for you...

Gaston 6'4" 225

Freeman 5'11" 218

Holland 6'1" 228

White 6'2" 220

Curry 6'2" 215

Owens 6'2" 225

Frost 6'3" 210

Garrett 6'2" 190

Landrum 6'2" 220

McKinzy 6'2" 224

Mitchell 6'2" 200

I wanted Roof fired but it's not like we've been bringing in shrimps to play LB.... Only 2 guys were 200 lbs or lower and only on under 6'0". But I am not sure why I am even trying to discuss this with you...

Here's another he needs to read again.

Holland is more like 240-45, White is around 240-45, and Frost has the frame to hold much more.  Plus in a 4-3 you don't want 260-270 lbs LBs, those are more for the 3-4

You may not want a MLB that weighs in at 260, but there is a lot of NFL and college coaches who would love to have him with speed.

and those are the ones that run a 3-4, Using the Bears as an example due to them running the exact same defense we run you have, Brian Urlacher the prototypical T2 MLB at 6'4" 255, Lance Briggs 6'1" 244 lbs, and Nick Roach 6'1" 234 lbs. Again, if we look at Atlanta, where CBVG was, the LBS are, WLB Sean Weatherspoon at 6'2" 244 lbs, MLB Curtis Lofton at 6'0" 241 lbs. and SLB Robert James at 5'11" 224 lbs.  I'd say we are on par with what we run defensively.

I look for Bates to be the vocal leader in the secondary. He is one of the most experienced players we have out there. 

Has yet to be confirmed that Bates has moved back to safety...though BVG's comments do make me think he might be.

Archived