Is it a good idea for best friends to live together?

Pretty self explanatory question. Me and my best friend met at church in August. We hang out everyday, and haven't gotten tired of each other yet. But, I am hearing it is a bad idea for best friends to live together. What say you guys? Any experience here?

I'd avoid it, I didn't and it was not fun and I'd known him for 6 years not 6 months like you.  Little things get compounded exponentially.  Such as his inability to do dishes or take out the trash.  Things you don't know about him will be revealed and you might not like them. 

I live with one of my very good friends right now and I cannot wait for April to get here. Our lease runs out in April and he is moving out.

Now with that said when I was at Auburn I lived with a guy that was just a good friend during my senior year and he is now my best friend. I wish we got to spend more time together but he is in grad school at FSU, don't worry he is pissed about them taking our recruits too, but we talk at least every other day. I know that we wouldn't have become as close if we didn't live together. I know that we would go to the ends of the earth for each other now though.

I'd avoid it, I didn't and it was not fun and I'd known him for 6 years not 6 months like you.  Little things get compounded exponentially.  Such as his inability to do dishes or take out the trash.  Things you don't know about him will be revealed and you might not like them. 

Who in their right mind could live with you......and don't say your wife because you pay her to stay

Not a good idea. Roomed with my best friend since high school last semester. Needless to say, we aren't friends anymore. Dude has some serious problems that came to light once I started living with him. He was out of my place by October.

I lived with my cuz and best friend in Auburn for 2 years. While there were strains on the friendships we are all still broskeys. I guess you should consider your personality and his/hers. Are they compatible? Do you like to organize your sock drawer? does he/she? Do you like to play video games and throw empty coke cans at the trash from the couch? does he/she?

if either or both of these match I'd say you are pretty good. If either or both of these disagree maybe you should not live together.

I have lived with several friends and we all remain good buddies still.  Sure there are things about them that you might not like or might annoy you, but if you are good enough friends you will be able to work through it.  If you can't live with your friends, then who the "H" are you going to ever be able to live with?  If he isn't doing his share of the chores or if he's leaving dirty dishes and/ or laundry around, just tell him to get his lazy @$$ up and get to work. 

I live with one of my very good friends right now and I cannot wait for April to get here. Our lease runs out in April and he is moving out.

Now with that said when I was at Auburn I lived with a guy that was just a good friend during my senior year and he is now my best friend. I wish we got to spend more time together but he is in grad school at FSU, don't worry he is pissed about them taking our recruits too, but we talk at least every other day. I know that we wouldn't have become as close if we didn't live together. I know that we would go to the ends of the earth for each other now though.

I should also point out that the friend I live with now is a bama fan. He isn't a bammer, although he didn't go to school there and hasn't finished college so he is only a step or two away.

Don't do it.  I have experienced losing a friend due to living together

Happened to me and my college roommate. We were best friends through HS. When we got to Auburn little stuff like grocery buying, phone usage, laundry, girlfriends staying over, etc., got in the way. I have a Type A personality and hated a messy apartment. Needless to say we parted ways and to this day are not friends...we both graduated in 1981....don't do it if you value your friendship...just saying. :dunno:     

But if you can't live with friends, then who should you live with? 

Question for all of those who said NO to the OP, did you guys live with your spouse before you were married?  Not trying to start an argument, just wondering how you overcame any personality differences once you moved in with your spouse.  Seems like the same roommate annoyances could potentially be a issue once married. 

Question for all of those who said NO to the OP, did you guys live with your spouse before you were married?  Not trying to start an argument, just wondering how you overcame any personality differences once you moved in with your spouse.  Seems like the same roommate annoyances could potentially be a issue once married. 

My spouse is a sitter, my roommate was a pointer...am I missing something here? Is there a possibility of marriage between OP and the roommate? If so, I take back what I posted. That conversation would be echelons above my reality. When my wife and I got into an argument, I could always look forward to the "make-up sex". That would have been impossible with my roommate...remember, sitter, pointer. Big difference.         

My spouse is a sitter, my roommate was a pointer...am I missing something here? Is there a possibility of marriage between OP and the roommate? If so, I take back what I posted. That conversation would be echelons above my reality. When my wife and I got into an argument, I could always look forward to the "make-up sex". That would have been impossible with my roommate...remember, sitter, pointer. Big difference.         

Yeah, you missed my point. 

Shoot who knows?  Some years ago (well many years ago) a buddy of mine lived with his girl friend for almost two years...then they decided to get married thinking it was a cinch.  The marriage lasted six months and she was gone....figure that one out.    :dunno:

Shoot who knows?   Some years ago (well many years ago) a buddy of mine lived with his girl friend for almost two years...then they decided to get married thinking it was a cinch.  The marriage lasted six months and she was gone....figure that one out.    :dunno:

Women be crazy man....women be crazy. 

You don't want to ruin a friendship by being roommates.  The best arrangement is to room with your worst enemy.  

If you're bored, another great alternative is to room with a female stripper with a substance abuse problem.    

I live with my friend now, and things are fine.  Have we gotten in arguments?  Yep.  Are we still really good friends?  Yep.  Here's the thing you have to remember.  You will fight and you will argue, but differences are to be expected.  What my roommate and I did was made an agreement when he first moved in:

1.  Pblic rooms (living room, kitchen, laundry room) should be kept clean.  I don't care what happens in your bedroom.

2.  We will split the power bill and pay it on time.

3.  Even if you don't wash them immediatly, rinse your dishes off so they don't stink.

If that is followed, our biggest fight is over if a game or movie sucks or not.  Just remember, it is a lot easier to find common ground with your best friend than it is to work work through a fight with a complete stranger.

(P.S. Even if thing aren't ideal, its not like you're marrying the guy)

I live with my friend now, and things are fine.  Have we gotten in arguments?  Yep.  Are we still really good friends?  Yep.  Here's the thing you have to remember.  You will fight and you will argue, but differences are to be expected.  What my roommate and I did was made an agreement when he first moved in:

1.  Pblic rooms (living room, kitchen, laundry room) should be kept clean.  I don't care what happens in your bedroom.

3.  Even if you don't wash them immediatly, rinse your dishes off so they don't stink.

If that is followed, our biggest fight is over if a game or movie sucks or not.  Just remember, it is a lot easier to find common ground with your best friend than it is to work work through a fight with a complete stranger.

A roommate agreement? Are you Leonard or Sheldon?

A roommate agreement? Are you Leonard or Sheldon?

Neither... I'm the guy on here that lives with his friend and it works  ;D

Sooooo........you are hammering me about sacrificing for my WIFE, and you live with another MAN???? Do y'all paint each other's toenails at night and have slap and tickle parties?  :laugh::tease:

You don't want to ruin a friendship by being roommates.  The best arrangement is to room with your worst enemy.  

If you're bored, another great alternative is to room with a female stripper with a substance abuse problem.    

Hmmm, that last idea sounds intriguing.....tell me more. 

Archived