Athlon Magazine Ranks SEC coaches

Lint

100-1.gif

Didn't even know Athlon published a comedy magazine, I'll have to look into it further....  Best laugh in a while....BTW a certain bleed crimson blog made that a huge deal, not because a certain coach was considered the cream of the crop, that was almost an afterthought of the (article?)...

eagle.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not saying I believe what they are saying about Chizik, but I understand why they put him in the bottom tier.Now why Dan Mullen and James Franklin are rated so how is absurd.

For the love of God!

Will you PLEASE enlighten us on how you understand them ranking Gene Chizik in the bottom tier when the man is one year removed from an undefeated 14-0, National Championship season?

Guest jrljr

I am not saying I believe what they are saying about Chizik, but I understand why they put him in the bottom tier.Now why Dan Mullen and James Franklin are rated so how is absurd.

For the love of God!

Will you PLEASE enlighten us on how you understand them ranking Gene Chizik in the bottom tier when the man is one year removed from an undefeated 14-0, National Championship season?

keesler: Don't take this guys bait!!! I-D-I-O-T!

best thing about this is ad in top right corner   

You got that right.  Take away the Swisher Sweeties ad with the girl in Daisy Dukes and that whole article sucked.

It's complete hogwash, but the fact is, the national media thinks Cam Newton is the only reason we had that championship season, and Chizik will never get any respect from them until we have a big year without Cam.

It's complete hogwash, but the fact is, the national media thinks Cam Newton is the only reason we had that championship season, and Chizik will never get any respect from them until we have a big year without Cam.

Thats crap for the media to think that way. In their eyes only the traditional powers can win a title, therefore when a school outside of UAT and others when they try and come up with excuses on how they won. Cam was a valuable member of the team, just like Ingram, McClain, and Richardson were integral parts to UA winning. IMO Chizik does not have to prove a thing to these so called experts. As good as there boy Saban is, he still only has one undefeated season ala Chizik. His other two titles where he had one loss were backed into IMO. Those one loss seasons prove to me that as unbeatable as the want to make Saban out to be - he can be beaten.

That was a joke of an article. Mark Richt was a good coach 7 years ago. Steve Spurrier was a great coach 10 years ago. The dude from Vandy that has been there for a year beats an SEC / National chmpion coach ? They lost me right there. Bias is the only explanation.

Clearly, this is laughable by any objective standard.  Here is some of the data that should be considered if you truly are going to rank the coaches.  There are only 3 coaches with National Championships, Chizik is one of them.  There is only one coach that has won both the Coach of the Year award and the Assistant Coach of the Year (in this group).  We can argue all day long about rankings among the top 5, but the clear bias is evident when coaches like Mullen and Franklin are ranked ahead of CGC.  I suspect they put Pinkel up there for his longevity, but I still think that if you had to choose a coach between him and CGC, most would choose CGC, hands down.  I would say that CGC is legitimately a "top 5" SEC coach in this group of pretty darn good coaches.  Miles has a legitimate argument too.  You be the judge.

Athlon rank           (Record/W%)           NC (#)           LMCOY         PBBCOY         HDCOY        BACOY

Saban                  (146–54–1/.730)      Y (2.5)              Y                  Y                  Y              N

Petrino                   (75–26/.742)               N                N                 N                  N               N

Spurrier               (197–75–2/.723)          Y (1)              N                 N                  N               N

Richt                      (104-38/.736)              N               N                 N                  N               N

Mullen                    (21-17/.552)                N               N                 N                  N               N

Miles                     (103-39/.725)            Y (1)             Y                 N                  Y               N

Pinkel                  (158–91–3/.635)              N               N                 N                  N               N

Franklin                   (6-7/.462)                   N               N                 N                  N               N

Chizik                     (35–29/.547)             Y (1)             Y                 Y                  Y               Y

Sumlin                    (35–17/.673)                N               N                 N                  N               N

Muschamp               (7–6/.538)                   N               N                 N                  N               N

Dooley                   (28-34/.452)                 N               N                 N                  N               N

Freeze                    (30–7/.811)                 N               N                 N                  N               N

Phillips                    (11–14/.440)                N               N                 N                  N               N

LMCOY: Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year

PBBCOY: Paul Bear Bryant Coach of the Year

HDCOY: Home Depot Coach of the Year

BACOY: Broyles Asst Coach of the Year

Interesting Notes:  Did you realize CBVG won the BACOY in 2003 at UGA the year before CGC won it at AU? Also did you realize that in the 26 years that the PBBCOY award has been awarded, the school with the most winners is AU at 3 (Bowden '93, Tuberville '04, Chizik '10)...Don't you love the irony?!?

I don't understand ranking Mullen ahead of Chizik. While we're at it, I don't disagree with Petrino being up in the rankings, but what in the heck has he won? He didn't win anything at Louisville and has he won a MNC or even an SECC? He hasn't proven he can win a big game...and sure can't beat the turds.

After reading the first page of comments, I won't bother with the link. Anyone who ranks Chizik outside of the top 4 coaches in the conference is out of their mind.

But that's okay. After this year, we won't have to listen to that crap any more. Chizik has consistently produced better than predicted (at least by the "experts", anyway) records on the Plains. He won 8 games in a year where he had only four scholarship linebackers and a two star true freshman starting safety on defense and a quarterback with a twice surgically repaired throwing arm on offense. He won it all when the team across the state was supposed to go back-to-back. Then he won 8 games again after losing 18 starters, a Heisman winner, and a Lombardi Award winner from a team that returned just 6 scholarship seniors and 12 scholarship juniors.

Anyone who is paying attention knows that Chizik is an elite coach. All he needs is the time to prove it.

Thank you for posting.  if I ever had the desire to buy an BAMathlon magazine again, this just killed it.    From an objective point of view, they don't get to sell many mags by catering to the MSU or Vandy crowd, so my take is that a) no credit to CGC since the 2010 yr is completely credited to Cam and B) our coach is a man of integrity, is humble and doesn't crave attention all to himself - unlike some a-holes on this list.    The next two yrs+ are going to be SWEET and I couldn't care less whether these knuckleheads agree with me or not.

One only need glance at the other links on this page, to see what type of site this one is.... thought it was a sports site for a moment myself.

After reading the first page of comments, I won't bother with the link. Anyone who ranks Chizik outside of the top 4 coaches in the conference is out of their mind.

But that's okay. After this year, we won't have to listen to that crap any more. Chizik has consistently produced better than predicted (at least by the "experts", anyway) records on the Plains. He won 8 games in a year where he had only four scholarship linebackers and a two star true freshman starting safety on defense and a quarterback with a twice surgically repaired throwing arm on offense. He won it all when the team across the state was supposed to go back-to-back. Then he won 8 games again after losing 18 starters, a Heisman winner, and a Lombardi Award winner from a team that returned just 6 scholarship seniors and 12 scholarship juniors.

Anyone who is paying attention knows that Chizik is an elite coach. All he needs is the time to prove it.

I'm with you brother. Not even worth the click. Can't wait to see the so called great  :devil: get taken down.

Dang, Petrino needs wreck a motorcycle with a newly hired employee that makes him look like a fool or something when he denies she was with him . . .

Ooops - he's just done that!

Do not worry about this CRAP!!! At the end of 2013, just  like the media had to eat their words about Cam Newton (scandal that never was, he will not make it in the NFL), they will be eating their words again!

Of course this year we are going to be surprising the SEC nation. Auburn will be good, dang good. Only one year away from another SEC Championship and we will be close in 2012!

:tdau:

Athlon rank           (Record/W%)           NC (#)           LMCOY         PBBCOY         HDCOY        BACOY

Saban                  (146–54–1/.730)      Y (2.5)              Y                  Y                  Y              N

I see what you did there :laugh:

EDIT: oh wait... Was his 03 title shared with USC? Dangit... I thought that was a reference to this year..

The interesting thing is CGC is averaging 10 wins a year as a SEC HC.  If you bring his SEC HC years equal to the number of SEC HC years of the ones in front of him he will have more wins than all but Saban and Miles.  I would say he is the 3rd best so far in his young career but he is the best all around when you consider his character.  Anything outside of the top 4 or 5 is a complete joke!

Considering what Chiz inherited (no depth or enough players), the coaches he hired, the recruits he has brought in (this includes Cam), the BCSNC, the beating national expectations every year at AU, the current talented roster, the coaches he brought in this year (BVG, SC, WM), this list is beyond laughable.

I would not trade Chizik for any coach anywhere right now. The only two that even belong in the discussion are Petrino (he is the best pure coach in the SEC) and Saban. However, Petrino has not recruited anywhere near where Chizik is and is up to his neck in problems right now. Saban has a built in advantage of having boosters and a system that break every rule in the book in buying players, high school coaches, etc. Not to mention he is a first class prick that is a fitting representation for the turds.

Archived