Defensive Line by Ian Berg

AUMASTERS

I thought you might enjoy this article on our defensive line written

by Ian Berg- Mike Pelton has got to be licking his chops with all of

the talent he has available at his disposal. I really like the pitcure of

Devante Sigler-guy just looks like a ballplayer . http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1168413-auburn-football-11-defensive-linemen-that-will-play-in-the-tigers-2012-rotation.

War Eagle!!!

He left off Jamar Travis. BVG has already stated that he will be a part of the rotation.

DL has to be a strength for us this year. We saw in 2010 how a dominant D-Line can cover up a lot of holes in the defense behind them.

I think we will be very improved next year....just not as dominant as we were in 2010, that line was packed full of seniors and nick fairley and coached by Rocker. I seriously forgot how dominant we were on the DL in 2010....I think we will be VERY good at DL and dominate like we did in 2010 probably next season, but I'm still excited about this upcoming season.

Auburn 2010

Rush defense - 9th nationally, 1rst in SEC

Sacks - 13th nationally, 2nd in SEC

TFL - 6th nationally, 1rst in SEC

3rd down defense - 34 nationally, 5th in SEC

Auburn 2011

Rush defense -94th nationally, 11th in SEC

TFL - 56th nationally, 9th in SEC

Sacks - 75th nationally, 9th in SEC

3rd down defense - 101rst nationally, 12th in SEC

He left off Jamar Travis. BVG has already stated that he will be a part of the rotation.

Jamar Travis will see his biggest impact on special teams. I would be willing to bet that he plays less than 15 snaps a game along the defensive line, barring unforeseen injuries of course.

Nothing against Travis, but I see a ton of talent that already has more experience returning.

Jamar Travis will see his biggest impact on special teams. I would be willing to bet that he plays less than 15 snaps a game along the defensive line, barring unforeseen injuries of course.

Nothing against Travis, but I see a ton of talent that already has more experience returning.

So you don't trust the words of our defensive coordinator?

So you don't trust the words of our defensive coordinator?

VanGorder's quote was that Travis would contribute. That doesn't mean he is a starter. It means he will play at times and will get a fair shot at play. I think looking at the statement and saying VanGorder said anything other than fair shot and some playing time, you are mistaken. VanGorder never mentioned a rotation, or a group that will start.

Exact quote:

"really took great advantage of this spring and really had an impressive spring. Right now in our mind, he'll play football for us."

Linkage:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/04/auburns_injured_defensive_star.html

Nothing there says starter to me.

Let me clear up my previous statement, he will get around 15 snaps a game. Assuming the defense is improved and holds opponents to 65 snaps a game on average, guys like Jeffrey Whitaker, Kenneth Carter, Angelo Blackson, Gabe Wright and Devaunte Sigler should get around 20 a piece if they are the "starting" rotation.

Travis will get 15 or so line snaps and special teams play. Its science. ($1 Ron Burgundy)

Guest jrljr

We were definetly dominant in 2010. Heck with that talent I or even Ted Roof could coach them. Last year we were young yet I believe a coach like BVG could have done better.

We will be really good and why noy dominant this year. CBVG & CMP have the talent (quite a bit of it) and our guys understand and seem to love his style. Go get the ball!!! Don't wait for it to come to you. Don't turn your back and take your eye's off the ball. GO GET EM' BOYS!!! WDE!!!

BVG said he would be in the playing rotation. No one said Travis would start. You still didn't answer my question. Do you trust the words of Brian VanGorder?

BVG did mention him as part of the rotation because i read it and saw the video.

BVG said he would be in the playing rotation. No one said Travis would start. You still didn't answer my question. Do you trust the words of Brian VanGorder?

Sorry we seem to be missing the boat as each other passes by.

Sure I trust Brian VanGorder--keep in mind I don't know him personally--but I am unsure of your point. If Travis is an impact starter I will be surprised. I have been surprised before, and how pleasant of a surprise that would be.

I saw the video and read the article as well. Again, VanGorder says the exact quote I left. He will contribute. No argument there. What's the beef homey?

Sure I trust Brian VanGorder--keep in mind I don't know him personally--but I am unsure of your point. If Travis is an impact starter I will be surprised. I have been surprised before, and how pleasant of a surprise that would be.

I saw the video and read the article as well. Again, VanGorder says the exact quote I left. He will contribute. No argument there. What's the beef homey?

Where is him starting coming from? I've read no posts where anyone on this board expects Travis to start. We are just riding the comments of our new DC that said he will play and nothing more than that.

Where is him starting coming from? I've read no posts where anyone on this board expects Travis to start. We are just riding the comments of our new DC that said he will play and nothing more than that.

Oh, so we do agree then? My bad labeling him a starter.

Your original comment asking if I don't trust the coordinator made me assume that you thought Travis would be an every down type guy and become a major impact player. In my mind, that is starter worthy. No guy with 10-15 snaps a game will be an All-Star. Hence my original reply saying that he will be just that, a 15 snap guy and special teams aficionado.

If that wasn't the point of your original comment, to voice your opinion that VanGorder meant every down type guy, then maybe I am missing the point of the comment.

Glad we agree though...or so it seems.

:thumbsup:

Your original comment asking if I don't trust the coordinator made me assume that you thought Travis would be an every down type guy and become a major impact player. In my mind, that is starter worthy. No guy with 10-15 snaps a game will be an All-Star. Hence my original reply saying that he will be just that, a 15 snap guy and special teams aficionado.

If that wasn't the point of your original comment, to voice your opinion that VanGorder meant every down type guy, then maybe I am missing the point of the comment.

You made a quantum leap from him playing to being a starter. What made you go to that extreme?

You made a quantum leap from him playing to being a starter. What made you go to that extreme?

Like I said above...with the suggestion that I didn't trust the coordinator or his words, the implication that I received was that you were arguing against the numbers and status with the team I predicted through my opinion. If he gets more than 15 or so snaps a game, he would be considered a starter as "starter" type guys should only average 25-30 a piece with the depth and hopeful stopping power of the VanGorder D.

At this point, it seems we should be on the same page. He won't be a starter and should play some. Am I wrong there?

If I am not wrong with the assumption that we agree on his impact, again it will be around 15 snaps and special teams IMO, what was the point of asking if I trusted the DC, if in fact my statement fell in line with his quote? That would be where the clarity is needed IMO.

I am overwhelmed at the talent that we have along the d front. We are as deep as I ever remember. I really believe that our o and d lines will be among the most elite in the country for at least the next two seasons.

I thought you might enjoy this article on our defensive line written

by Ian Berg- Mike Pelton has got to be licking his chops with all of

the talent he has available at his disposal. I really like the pitcure of

Devante Sigler-guy just looks like a ballplayer . http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1168413-auburn-football-11-defensive-linemen-that-will-play-in-the-tigers-2012-rotation.

War Eagle!!!

This will be the most talented defense Auburn has had in the last 5 years. 2008's defense could have been amazing if the Franklin debacle never happened... with Loeffler's ability to run the football and eat clock, VanGorder will direct a dangerous Auburn defense.

I am overwhelmed at the talent that we have along the d front. We are as deep as I ever remember. I really believe that our o and d lines will be among the most elite in the country for at least the next two seasons.

I agree completely. Scary good. Full of juniors and sophomores.

You do excellent work Ian. I have enjoyed every article you have written. You and Stat ought to collaborate. Talk about some great stuff!  :bow:

You do excellent work Ian. I have enjoyed every article you have written. You and Stat ought to collaborate. Talk about some great stuff!  :bow:

^^^Oh that would be epic!^^^

Dude, why do you keep insinuating that anyone even hinted at the idea that Travis will be an "impact starter"?

We simply stated that BVG said that he'll be a part of the rotation and that's all that's been pointed out, yet you seem to believe the only significant role he'll play is on special teams, though our DC said otherwise.

Impact starter???  :laugh:

^^^Oh that would be epic!^^^

Speaking of Stat...

Archived