New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

So I guess what Paterno did, or didnt do was ok since he won alot of games.... ok I get it now.

Here's a good post to flip!... For years and years and years and years everyone thought Paterno was a man of good moral character and judgement right? Well...we ALL see how that perception and ASSUMPTION worked out. I don't agree with everything BP has done in his personal life, but as a Christian aren't we taught to forgive? We need to all remember none of us are perfect without flaw. And I can tell you firsthand that second chances are nice to have.Sometimes they are life turning and humbling.

I dont think its about forgiveness, I think its about trying to recruit with all that baggage. I just think this whole argument is moot because they will not hire him. I m not even saying I wouldnt support the hire, whomever they hire I will be cheering on the Tigers regardless. Im not judging him for what he did, Im just saying he would have a hard time recruiting against that. We all know that opposing teams will use anything against you in recruiting. If everyone who ever cheated on his wife was kicked out of coaching I have a feeling their would be alot of vacancies. But why bring in more controversy when you can go out and hire someone without the baggage that may do a good job?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petrino is not the answer here. Hiring him would divide the Auburn nation even more. Auburn will be much better going a different direction.

Like who?

I wonder if the Bama fans that were against hiring a jerk like Saban that jumped from several different jobs still feel divided.

Saban had won a title and two SEC titles...Petrino has done neither,

Petrino is not the answer here. Hiring him would divide the Auburn nation even more. Auburn will be much better going a different direction.

Like who?

I wonder if the Bama fans that were against hiring a jerk like Saban that jumped from several different jobs still feel divided.

Not saying I'm for Petrino, but name the coach that you want that has won a NT and 2 SEC Titles and that we could get. Rather a high goal post to meet; I guess at least the candidate list would be of manageable size. Again, not saying I'm for Petrino, but lol.

Like who?

Not saying I'm for Petrino, but name the coach that you want that has won a NT and 2 SEC Titles and that we could get. Rather a high goal post to meet; I guess at least the candidate list would be of manageable size. Again, not saying I'm for Petrino, but lol.

The list of "proven winners" is extremely small, as far as guys we could get. I have seen many many names mentioned that are nothing more than pipe dreams. I am not saying I am for or against Petrino, but as far as proven quality HC's, he is at the top of the list of names we could get as our next HC.

Like who?

He had nowhere near the finances, resources, or talent pool at arky that he would have available at Auburn. I apologize for those who have seen me say this many times and I am tired of saying it too.. But I will keep saying it til people start using their brains. The only legitimate argument against Petrino is his ethics and morals. Any argument to his college coaching ability based on what he did at Arky and Lousville is absurd, ludacris, and flat out grasping at straws.

Like who?

He had nowhere near the finances, resources, or talent pool at arky that he would have available at Auburn. I apologize for those who have seen me say this many times and I am tired of saying it too.. But I will keep saying it til people start using their brains. The only legitimate argument against Petrino is his ethics and morals. Any argument to his college coaching ability based on what he did at Arky and Lousville is absurd, ludacris, and flat out grasping at straws.

true

Here is a list of coaches that will NOT be hired by AU unless hell freezes over...

I see two problems with any potential desired hire.

1. The years of the big conferences being able to just outspend to attract coaches from smaller conferences is a thing of the past. Just Google a potential name and you will find most head coaches we would want to hire make roughly what we would be willing to offer. Plus we would need to factor in the total amount of money owed to our current coaching staff to buy them out. We are paying 3.5 million to CGC but only after a BCS championship. He started out with 1.9 million and plenty of incentives. Which is probably what will happen again.

2. The entire landscape of college football will change in 2014. You do not have to win your conference. You do not have to go undefeated to get in. Also an undefeated school from a weak BCS conference can easily slip into that #4 position, Boise State being a great example.

1. Gary Patterson (He has used every interview/rumor to get himself a pay raise, besides he gets paid well is in a BCS conference and has the ultimate job security)

2. Chris Peterson (He has used every interview/rumor to get himself a pay raise, besides he gets paid well is in a BCS conference and has the ultimate job security & can go undefeated to win the Big East every single year)

3. Jon Gruden (He has turned down numerous NFL teams over the past few years with no interviews taking place. I think he would a great college coach but with no ties of any kind to the University why in the hell would he step into this mess?)

4. Bill Cowher (retired to spend more time with family & his wife passed away. His daughters were playing college sports but may be graduated by now. The only interviews he has listened to over the years are teams that were willing to give him 100% control of their franchise)

5. Chip Kelley (This name is almost laughable, he has it rocking and rolling with a chance to play for the BCS every single year to take over a team that will not win a single conference game?)

6. Tony Dungy (I could almost repeat the Cowher description, instead of his wife passing away, his son committed suicide. A true family man that has dedicated his life since coaching to God and his family. He might be a guy to call for advice on a hire though).

7. Jimbo Fisher (He is in a position to dominate a BCS conference every year with a great tradition as well. Gets paid as much as we can offer)

8. Brian Billick (Won a SB and not one team has given him a serious look since he got fired. Come on. If professionals do not want him then a college probably doesn't either)

9. Greg Schiano (Why would he leave a professional job after just one season? Gets paid more than we will offer without the grind of recruiting)

10. Butch Davis (Left his last two programs on NCAA probation, not going to happen)

11. Jim Tressel (See Butch Davis)

12. Dana Holgerson (I see time and time again people blasting Petrino for no defense but then compile their own list to include him and Art Briles. He is in a BCS conference and is best friends with the athletic director. They have worked at two different schools together and was his personal choice to run his program)

13. Art Briles (I think this one is a real possibility if AU wanted it to happen but I just don't see us going this direction for a similar reason as Holgerson.

14. Pat Fitzgerald (I have heard him in interviews saying that he will never ever leave his alma mater. There is no evidence to suggest why he would want to start now)

15. Pete Carroll (If you have watched the NFL this year then you realize Pete Carroll has a really young and talented team. He obviously wanted to get back to the professional level after accomplishing everything a guy possibly could at the NCAA level)

16. Mike Gundy (Same as Pat Fitzgerald but even more reasons to stay. Almost played for a BCS last year and T. Boone can match any $ offer. He was a legend as a player and now a coach. It is not happening)

I am a Cowboys fan and someone mentioned Wade Phillips, I am not including this on my list because if that happens then I am gut punching Jay Jacobs

BUT here is a serious list of potential candidates. I think Auburn goes with a guy that has some head coaching experience but there will be talk of hiring an extremely experienced & "hot" coordinator. With the disaster that is currently being presented to the world, I think the people in charge will select a guy with experience.

1. Charlie Strong (A great candidate for the position but he does have some holes in his resume. I don't think his team is that great this year with no significant wins over that many good teams. But 8-0 is I think he will be on the top of our list but also for Arkansas as well. He does have ties to Arkansas and his athletic director has stated that he is willing to make him the highest paid coach in college football. We will not match that kind of money)

2. Bobby Petrino (His troubles are well documented. If you hold that against him then there is nothing that can be said to change your mind. Another legitimate complaint is a lack of defensive focus & does not recruit very well)

3. Kirby Smart (Would he switch to coach for his biggest rival and be willing to go head to head with his mentor? No previous HC experience but if you look at two previous coordinators for Saban that made the leap to HC; Fisher and Muschamp both have been extremely successful.)

4. Brent Pease (No HC experience but has a great coaching pedigree from Peterson at Boise St. to currently making chicken salad out of chicken crap at Florida)

5. Gus Malzhan (Most of us love some Gus. I think he is definitely in the discussion)

6. Butch Jones (A great track record of success at multiple places)

7. Willie Taggert (Young & has been impressive at Western Kentucky but only has a few years of experience under his belt. Not sure if he is ready for a leap like this would be)

8. Sonny Dykes (If you liked the Texas A&M offense then you would like him but defense is a cuss word with him as far as I am concerned)

9. Chad Morris (I think he is a poor mans Gus, he does have a track record of success and someone will give him a chance)

So I guess what Paterno did, or didnt do was ok since he won alot of games.... ok I get it now.

Here's a good post to flip!... For years and years and years and years everyone thought Paterno was a man of good moral character and judgement right? Well...we ALL see how that perception and ASSUMPTION worked out. I don't agree with everything BP has done in his personal life, but as a Christian aren't we taught to forgive? We need to all remember none of us are perfect without flaw. And I can tell you firsthand that second chances are nice to have.Sometimes they are life turning and humbling.

I dont think its about forgiveness, I think its about trying to recruit with all that baggage. I just think this whole argument is moot because they will not hire him. I m not even saying I wouldnt support the hire, whomever they hire I will be cheering on the Tigers regardless. Im not judging him for what he did, Im just saying he would have a hard time recruiting against that. We all know that opposing teams will use anything against you in recruiting. If everyone who ever cheated on his wife was kicked out of coaching I have a feeling their would be alot of vacancies. But why bring in more controversy when you can go out and hire someone without the baggage that may do a good job?

I agree. Ellitor said that the only legitimate argument against Petrino are his ethics and morals, and he is right, but we need not look any further than that argument. Look, there are a lot of coaches out there who have substandard ethics and morals, but unfortunately for Bobby Petrino, his are well known and documented. I for one would not let my son play for him. If you have a scholarship offer from Auburn, then you have options, and I would steer my kid far from Auburn if we were to make that hire. Not to mention, a ton of kids these days are coming from single mother homes. His infidelities will strike a chord with them. Lastly, the kids won't respect him either. I'm sure they will on the football field, but the second they slip up off the field they are going to get an earful from someone they KNOW is an idiot in his own personal life. I just don't see how anyone can overlook those things. Petrino shouldn't even be in the conversation.

edit: I understand the concept of forgiveness and second chances, but humble is not a word I would associate with Petrino, and I think us hiring him would only inflate him, or even justify his actions. "Petrino cheats on wife, leaves Arkansas in shambles, gets a raise". Talk about life lessons.

Here is a list of coaches that will NOT be hired by AU unless hell freezes over...

1. The years of the big conferences being able to just outspend to attract coaches from smaller conferences is a thing of the past. Just Google a potential name and you will find most head coaches we would want to hire make roughly what we would be willing to offer. Plus we would need to factor in the total amount of money owed to our current coaching staff to buy them out. We are paying 3.5 million to CGC but only after a BCS championship. He started out with 1.9 million and plenty of incentives. Which is probably what will happen again.

2. The entire landscape of college football will change in 2014. You do not have to win your conference. You do not have to go undefeated to get in. Also an undefeated school from a weak BCS conference can easily slip into that #4 position, Boise State being a great example.

1. Gary Patterson (He has used every interview/rumor to get himself a pay raise, besides he gets paid well is in a BCS conference and has the ultimate job security)

2. Chris Peterson (He has used every interview/rumor to get himself a pay raise, besides he gets paid well is in a BCS conference and has the ultimate job security & can go undefeated to win the Big East every single year)

3. Jon Gruden (He has turned down numerous NFL teams over the past few years with no interviews taking place. I think he would a great college coach but with no ties of any kind to the University why in the hell would he step into this mess?)

4. Bill Cowher (retired to spend more time with family & his wife passed away. His daughters were playing college sports but may be graduated by now. The only interviews he has listened to over the years are teams that were willing to give him 100% control of their franchise)

5. Chip Kelley (This name is almost laughable, he has it rocking and rolling with a chance to play for the BCS every single year to take over a team that will not win a single conference game?)

6. Tony Dungy (I could almost repeat the Cowher description, instead of his wife passing away, his son committed suicide. A true family man that has dedicated his life since coaching to God and his family. He might be a guy to call for advice on a hire though).

7. Jimbo Fisher (He is in a position to dominate a BCS conference every year with a great tradition as well. Gets paid as much as we can offer)

8. Brian Billick (Won a SB and not one team has given him a serious look since he got fired. Come on. If professionals do not want him then a college probably doesn't either)

9. Greg Schiano (Why would he leave a professional job after just one season? Gets paid more than we will offer without the grind of recruiting)

10. Butch Davis (Left his last two programs on NCAA probation, not going to happen)

12. Dana Holgerson (I see time and time again people blasting Petrino for no defense but then compile their own list to include him and Art Briles. He is in a BCS conference and is best friends with the athletic director. They have worked at two different schools together and was his personal choice to run his program)

13. Art Briles (I think this one is a real possibility if AU wanted it to happen but I just don't see us going this direction for a similar reason as Holgerson.

14. Pat Fitzgerald (I have heard him in interviews saying that he will never ever leave his alma mater. There is no evidence to suggest why he would want to start now)

15. Pete Carroll (If you have watched the NFL this year then you realize Pete Carroll has a really young and talented team. He obviously wanted to get back to the professional level after accomplishing everything a guy possibly could at the NCAA level)

16. Mike Gundy (Same as Pat Fitzgerald but even more reasons to stay. Almost played for a BCS last year and T. Boone can match any $ offer. He was a legend as a player and now a coach. It is not happening)

I am a Cowboys fan and someone mentioned Wade Phillips, I am not including this on my list because if that happens then I am gut punching Jay Jacobs

BUT here is a serious list of potential candidates. I think Auburn goes with a guy that has some head coaching experience but there will be talk of hiring an extremely experienced & "hot" coordinator. With the disaster that is currently being presented to the world, I think the people in charge will select a guy with experience.

1. Charlie Strong (A great candidate for the position but he does have some holes in his resume. I don't think his team is that great this year with no significant wins over that many good teams. But 8-0 is I think he will be on the top of our list but also for Arkansas as well. He does have ties to Arkansas and his athletic director has stated that he is willing to make him the highest paid coach in college football. We will not match that kind of money)

2. Bobby Petrino (His troubles are well documented. If you hold that against him then there is nothing that can be said to change your mind. Another legitimate complaint is a lack of defensive focus & does not recruit very well)

3. Kirby Smart (Would he switch to coach for his biggest rival and be willing to go head to head with his mentor? No previous HC experience but if you look at two previous coordinators for Saban that made the leap to HC; Fisher and Muschamp both have been extremely successful.)

4. Brent Pease (No HC experience but has a great coaching pedigree from Peterson at Boise St. to currently making chicken salad out of chicken crap at Florida)

5. Gus Malzhan (Most of us love some Gus. I think he is definitely in the discussion)

7. Willie Taggert (Young & has been impressive at Western Kentucky but only has a few years of experience under his belt. Not sure if he is ready for a leap like this would be)

8. Sonny Dykes (If you liked the Texas A&M offense then you would like him but defense is a cuss word with him as far as I am concerned)

9. Chad Morris (I think he is a poor mans Gus, he does have a track record of success and someone will give him a chance)

i would add Jim Leavitt to the list of candidates. Solid defensive pedigree, tough disciplinarian, recruited the state of Florida and the gulf coast for 12 years, coached linebackers under Snyder at KSU and was their dc back in the 90 s when they were good.

This is an incredible post. I agree with every word. C'mon Charlie Strong!

I'd like to see a little more comprehensive list. J/K, good work 5150.

Gus Bus!

My first choice is Malzahn and second choice is Strong.

Malzahn would probably be a good fit with the existing players and he would certainly know if any of the current staff are worth retaining. I've always wondered about the circumstances surrounding his departure and if he would ever consider returning as a head coach. I would appreciate any additional insight that anyone could provide regarding Malzahn and his feelings toward Auburn.

Come on TT. You are the last person I would expect to be so duplicitous. Other than productive offenses, Petrino's career is nothing but red flags. You are always talking about the social implications of prevailing attitudes. Win at any cost? Is that really the world you want to live in? There is a reason you are tired of hearing it for the "umpteenth" time. You DON'T throw your creed out the window to win football games.

It's not duplicitous to give someone a chance. I'm not proposing to ignore his past but to look at it and see if there are reasons to think he's not repentant and changed from it. Absent such indicators I think you hire him because he's the best one for the job who we can get.

It doesn't require throwing the Creed out. It just requires not pretending the Creed can only apply to people with no problems in their past.

You honestly believe Petrino is the best candidate out there who will come to Auburn? What has Petrino done in his career that would warrent him getting a look? His incredible defenses? Or maybe his win record against our biggest rivals? How many times did he beat Bama? I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want him.

Maybe it's that he took Louisville to 10 and 12 win seasons and a BCS bowl win. Or that he took Arkansas to 10 and 11 win seasons. Or that he did the latter in the most brutal division in football. Or that virtually any coach you talk to will tell you he's the best offensive mind since Sourrier came along (another guy people said couldn't field a defense...until he hooked up with a good DC like Stoops and Strong).

The rest are hopes and wishes. Petrino is proven and did it with far less talent than the big boys because Arky never recruits that well.

His record with Arkansas in the SEC was 17-15. He never won the West. Best was tie for 2nd. The only BCS bowl he took Arky to was Sugar bowl where he got beat by Ohio State.

Yeah, in a division that produced the last three national champions, he only won more games that the prior season every year, won 10 and 11 games the last two, and did it all we less talented players. What on earth are you watching on Saturdays?

I watch football just like you do, just so happens my opinion differs from yours. I will be the first one to walk Chizik out the door, pack for him, whatever he needs to hit the road but I do not see Petrino as the savior of Auburn football nor do I see him as the best choice we have. JMHO

Basically if u don't want Petrino as the next coach you are considered:

On too high of a moral horse

You can't forgive

Don't watch football on Saturdays

You are stupid

You love Saban

U don't understand coaching

You love Gene Chizik

Your eyes are closed

You don't want what is best for AU football

"Sarcasm"

I watch football just like you do, just so happens my opinion differs from yours. I will be the first one to walk Chizik out the door, pack for him, whatever he needs to hit the road but I do not see Petrino as the savior of Auburn football nor do I see him as the best choice we have. JMHO

There is no option more proven. The rest are an utter roll of the dice. We know Petrino can win n this league even with lesser players because he coaches them up. Get him the knd of talent upgrade he'd have at Auburn and a good DC and the sky's the limit.

There is no option more proven. The rest are an utter roll of the dice. We know Petrino can win n this league even with lesser players because he coaches them up. Get him the knd of talent upgrade he'd have at Auburn and a good DC and the sky's the limit.

Given Petrino's past behavior, I would think he would also be considered a roll of the dice and a risky proposition at best. If Auburn hires him they are messing with fire.

Basically if u don't want Petrino as the next coach you are considered:

On too high of a moral horse

You can't forgive

Don't watch football on Saturdays

You are stupid

You love Saban

U don't understand coaching

You love Gene Chizik

Your eyes are closed

You don't want what is best for AU football

"Sarcasm"

Well that was a reaction to the charge that if you want Petrino:

You want to win at all costs.

You don't care about morals.

You don't love Auburn.

You're a Saban lover.

You don't know/love/understand The Creed.

+1

Given Petrino's past behavior, I would think he would also be considered a roll of the dice and a risky proposition at best. If Auburn hires him they are messing with fire.

If anything it's the opposite. He knows that if he gets another shot at a big time program he cannot screw it up or his career is literally finished. Plus his sin was made public. He was forced to deal with it rather than pretend it doesn't exist. And finally, we are in a unique position to put more accountability and other protections in place than any normal coach would ever have to accept.

The rest are a roll of the dice on the field, which is what we are ultimately hiring them for.

Like who?

Haha, E, seems like you've said this a time or 7000

He's undependable and untrustworthy. This is proven. Not once, not twice but three times. Would you go to a doctor that has been proven undependable and untrustworthy? Would you hire someone for a position that has his resume and the references he's gonna bring along?

If it was just coaching with no strings attached I could see him landing the job. However, there are strings attached and why risk him embarrassing another institution? I for one don't understand the win at all cost attitude. These are 17,18,19 yr old boys. Many of them with no father to speak of. How will they view Bobby Petrino? Is Saban an angel? NO!, but his players do respect him.

I want another ride on the Gus bus. The thing about Gus is that he has proven his ability to innovate. I always felt like he was still learning what it took to run his offense in the SEC; it was a work in progress.He is watching what the other coordinators are doing and learning from them also. During one of the games they were talking about Gus exchanging notes with Hugh Freeze this season. He could help his DC understand how to defend against the spread. I got the feeling Gus worked extremely hard to be prepared, and he was definitely able to recruit in the SEC. Gus is still a coach on the rise and is a good Auburn man. I would really like to see Auburn hire Gus back to be the next HC.

Archived