New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petrino is not the answer here. Hiring him would divide the Auburn nation even more. Auburn will be much better going a different direction.

Like who?

I wonder if the Bama fans that were against hiring a jerk like Saban that jumped from several different jobs still feel divided.

Petrino is not the answer here. Hiring him would divide the Auburn nation even more. Auburn will be much better going a different direction.

Like who?

I wonder if the Bama fans that were against hiring a jerk like Saban that jumped from several different jobs still feel divided.

Why do you want to be like them?

Like who?

Why do I want AU football to have a top program? Is that your question?

Like who?

I agree we need to win and that helps recruiting and that sells tickets..

Like who?

I believe how you win is still important. I have a fundamental problem with the win at any cost mentality.

Come on TT. You are the last person I would expect to be so duplicitous. Other than productive offenses, Petrino's career is nothing but red flags. You are always talking about the social implications of prevailing attitudes. Win at any cost? Is that really the world you want to live in? There is a reason you are tired of hearing it for the "umpteenth" time. You DON'T throw your creed out the window to win football games.

It's not duplicitous to give someone a chance. I'm not proposing to ignore his past but to look at it and see if there are reasons to think he's not repentant and changed from it. Absent such indicators I think you hire him because he's the best one for the job who we can get.

It doesn't require throwing the Creed out. It just requires not pretending the Creed can only apply to people with no problems in their past.

You honestly believe Petrino is the best candidate out there who will come to Auburn? What has Petrino done in his career that would warrent him getting a look? His incredible defenses? Or maybe his win record against our biggest rivals? How many times did he beat Bama? I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want him.

Maybe it's that he took Louisville to 10 and 12 win seasons and a BCS bowl win. Or that he took Arkansas to 10 and 11 win seasons. Or that he did the latter in the most brutal division in football. Or that virtually any coach you talk to will tell you he's the best offensive mind since Sourrier came along (another guy people said couldn't field a defense...until he hooked up with a good DC like Stoops and Strong).

The rest are hopes and wishes. Petrino is proven and did it with far less talent than the big boys because Arky never recruits that well.

His record with Arkansas in the SEC was 17-15. He never won the West. Best was tie for 2nd. The only BCS bowl he took Arky to was Sugar bowl where he got beat by Ohio State.

Yeah, in a division that produced the last three national champions, he only won more games that the prior season every year, won 10 and 11 games the last two, and did it all we less talented players. What on earth are you watching on Saturdays?

Like who?

I believe how you win is still important. I have a fundamental problem with the win at any cost mentality.

You have some first hand knowledge I am not privy to? Or do you just believe in all the internet rumors that you see? Did you complain to JJ when you read about Cam? Or do you only believe the ones about Alabama?

What I know is that they are winning. I also know I would like for AU to return to the glory we knew under Pat Dye. If you would like to talk about an option better than CBP that would be interesting to me. If you just want to belittle and judge CBP as a person then I am not interested.

“Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is.”

Vince Lombardi Jr.

Like who?

You have some first hand knowledge I am not privy to? Or do you just believe in all the internet rumors that you see? Did you complain to JJ when you read about Cam? Or do you only believe the ones about Alabama?

What I know is that they are winning. I also know I would like for AU to return to the glory we knew under Pat Dye. If you would like to talk about an option better than CBP that would be interesting to me. If you just want to belittle and judge CBP as a person then I am not interested.

Vince Lombardi Jr.

So I guess what I am saying is it is time for AU to get off the moral high horse. It is time to hire an employee that knows how to turn our kids into winners and can get them the exposure they need to get to the NFL and make AU games fun again. Stop judging coaching candidates on how they spend their Sundays. Instead judge them on what they do on Saturdays.

Like who?

Vince Lombardi Jr.

So I guess what I am saying is it is time for AU to get off the moral high horse. It is time to hire an employee that knows how to turn our kids into winners and can get them the exposure they need to get to the NFL and make AU games fun again. Stop judging coaching candidates on how they spend their Sundays. Instead judge them on what they do on Saturdays.

Since AU is a football factory and we are paying our football coaching staff at a Top 10 level, I agree with everything you just posted. AU does need to get off the moral high horse in terms of the football program (and basketball program and probably the baseball program).

wde

Like who?

Vince Lombardi Jr.

Look, we have already had this disagreement. I don't know what you want. I think it is a mistake to compromise what we stand for. You think Bryant was greater than Shug. I don't and I don't think we throw the Auburn Creed out the window in favor of "just win baby". We are not going to agree. That's okay though.

All of the coaches we have had since I have been watching AU have had some kind of personal issues, just like all of us I am sure. We got on probation under Dye, Tot was rumored to be doing some things off the field with certain people's daughter and he left his team midyear, and Tubs promised the Ole Miss folks he wasnt leaving and then took off on them. Chiz is probably the coach with the least amount of off field stuff and look where it has gotten him this year. I personally think this is a moot point because I dont think the PTB will hire Petrino anyway, and as much as I like winning I also dont think we can just throw the Auburn Creed out the window. So, while I do agree we shouldn't base a coaching hire on how much of a choir boy he is, I also don't think you sell your soul to win a few games. And as an aside, there is no doubt Shug was the better MAN. I will take the guy who survived D Day every day of the week and twice on Sunday..

I worry that they will hire a unproven head coach again... I say hire Patrino.. anounce it now that AU is looking to hire so we can get the ball rolling now before somebody else gets him tied down..

They can get it going by privately telling Chiz is done at year's end.

I worry that they will hire a unproven head coach again... I say hire Patrino.. anounce it now that AU is looking to hire so we can get the ball rolling now before somebody else gets him tied down..

They can get it going by privately telling Chiz is done at year's end.

I think they will tell him tomorrow or sometime this week. Why wait at this point, its as good as done.

All of the coaches we have had since I have been watching AU have had some kind of personal issues, just like all of us I am sure. We got on probation under Dye, Tot was rumored to be doing some things off the field with certain people's daughter and he left his team midyear, and Tubs promised the Ole Miss folks he wasnt leaving and then took off on them. Chiz is probably the coach with the least amount of off field stuff and look where it has gotten him this year. I personally think this is a moot point because I dont think the PTB will hire Petrino anyway, and as much as I like winning I also dont think we can just throw the Auburn Creed out the window. So, while I do agree we shouldn't base a coaching hire on how much of a choir boy he is, I also don't think you sell your soul to win a few games. And as an aside, there is no doubt Shug was the better MAN. I will take the guy who survived D Day every day of the week and twice on Sunday..

We are talking about coaches not saintly deeds. Shug might have been a nice guy (I never met him) but Bear owned him on the field and that is the way a coach should be judged. I don't mind hiring another coach besides Petrino as long as he is a better coach. Only one I know of is Garry Patterson and I hope we make a run at him. If we hire someone other than CBP because we think they are a nicer guy then AU is letting down the players and the fans and risking a decade(s) long fall much like Tennessee. Effectively destroying the foundation that Pat Dye built.

So I guess what Paterno did, or didnt do was ok since he won alot of games.... ok I get it now.

You really want to compare changing jobs and having an affair to what Paterno did? That is sick.

So I guess what Paterno did, or didnt do was ok since he won alot of games.... ok I get it now.

Here's a good post to flip!... For years and years and years and years everyone thought Paterno was a man of good moral character and judgement right? Well...we ALL see how that perception and ASSUMPTION worked out. I don't agree with everything BP has done in his personal life, but as a Christian aren't we taught to forgive? We need to all remember none of us are perfect without flaw. And I can tell you firsthand that second chances are nice to have.Sometimes they are life turning and humbling.

Auburns next coach will be ....

this thread is too long and the topic of new coaches should become a more open line of discussion than a 200 page thread, but I have to ask.....where has Tommy Bowden been the past few years?? He might be a decent candidate...or is the fact he is "Bowden blood" a deal killer?

Hey you are the one who said a coach should only be judged by what he did on the field. Your words not mine.

If you can't see a difference then I worry for those around you because your moral compass is broke. Just sick.

Hey you are the one who said a coach should only be judged by what he did on the field. Your words not mine.

If you can't see a difference then I worry for those around you because your moral compass is broke. Just sick.

Ok dude whatever you say.

I do not Petrino either, but Auburn is not a Nation; we are a family. War Eagle

Archived