New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

It's apparent that Coach Chizik is in his final season. I've read many post, including Stat's (who I love btw) mentioning Petrino as head coach. Granted, he is an excellent offensive mind but how in the world do you hire this guy? Could you imagine him walking into a recruits home and telling mom that he has your sons' best interest in mind. This is a man who 1) Went behind his employer's back to interview for not one, but two jobs (Auburn & LSU). 2) This is a man who walked out of a job in the NFL and didn't even tell the team. He photocopied a letter and placed it in their lockers. 3) This is a man who lied to the Arkansas AD and his own family about what had occurred. Long and short of it is that he will be slaughtered on the recruiting trail. Plus, how can you justify hiring a man with the morals of a billy goat? He may coach again and win, but I hope he's not winning at Auburn. My 2 cents...WDE as always.

I couldn't agree with you more. Petrino is NOT an example of an Auburn Man. I would be hard pressed to agree to send my son someplace where he would be influenced by such a man.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we don't give total control to the HC, you can hang up a big name coach. The coaching fraternity is tight. They know how the PTB roll in Auburn.

I hope its not Petrino. I dont understand people's obsession with this clown. Hes a great offensive mind but i doubt him as a head coach and hes not a great recruiter.

Can you imagine parents wanting to send their kids away to be in the hands of this guy? His character is tainted and his word cant be trusted.

Put me down for a Gus vote and not that he would ever come but Gruden's fire would be a nice change of pace.

You are 100% right about patrino bring him and you might as well get the tombstone ready for this program.

So I think Petrino is probably as big of an A$$ as everyone else thinks, but honestly he had the Arkansas program in a place they have rarely ever been. While I don't want him as the preacher at my church, I'm just not sure why its such a big deal to have him as the face of our program. The guy can coach football.

You want him responsible for your teenage son? I sure wouldn't.

Could he do worse than the current guy at the helm?

To say you have doubts about him being a head coach almost made me spit out my coffee, true his character is in question but you cannot say he isn't a good to great head coach. Why do you think so many high profile recruits want to go to the UATs FLA's, USC's and the such? They want to get to the NFL and so do the momma's and the pappa's of these recruits. Petrino left the Falcons after finding out Mike Vick would not be there, I say smart man. Did not like the way he left but I am sure Arkansas did not mind. And to say he could not recruit is funny, he got who he wanted to run his style of offense. When has he EVER been in trouble with the NCAA? Never and kind of inquiry, no investigation, no rumors NOTHING!! Say what you want, he scored on both UAT and LSU, just imagine what he could do with the stockpile Auburn has already. Character flaws can be changed and righted. Maybe Auburn could be just as good for him as he would be for Auburn but there are some here acting like judge jury and executioner so anything short of another Gene Chizik is unacceptable.

I am in favor of Bobby Petrino and I am a Christian, I believe he is the best coach for Auburn considering the offensive players we already have. If he keeps CBVG and CM on Defense, CB on special teams and either CL or CT for recruiting purposes only I believe he can turn Auburn into a national contender on a regular basis. There will be a new coach next season, who it is only a few people know but I am not one of them.

everyone is entitled to their opinion and should voice theirs at will. Just one question. If Petrino were to be the coach and in year two had AU in the SECCG, would you return to AU and cheer for the team?

Felony arrests, rampant drug use, multiple public intox arrests. Has Petrino had problems of that magnitude anywhere he's been?

I guess to the Holy Rollers and the Creed Bunch, infidelity to your spouse is the end all.

As a Christian, I would technically be one of your "Holy Rollers" but I am in favor of Bobby Petrino. The Bible teaches us to be hard to offend and quick to forgive. What he did in his personal life does not lead me to believe that would interfere with being a great coach. If we were to look for a good Christian coach, unfortunately it would be very difficult. Anyways, bottom line is that Petrino would have my vote

I use the term "Holy Roller" to describe people who use religion as their basis to judge people. These are the ones that seem to forget the teachings of John 8:7.

John 8-7 is that the one praising lowriders, girls, and tequilla?

Come on TT. You are the last person I would expect to be so duplicitous. Other than productive offenses, Petrino's career is nothing but red flags. You are always talking about the social implications of prevailing attitudes. Win at any cost? Is that really the world you want to live in? There is a reason you are tired of hearing it for the "umpteenth" time. You DON'T throw your creed out the window to win football games.

It's not duplicitous to give someone a chance. I'm not proposing to ignore his past but to look at it and see if there are reasons to think he's not repentant and changed from it. Absent such indicators I think you hire him because he's the best one for the job who we can get.

It doesn't require throwing the Creed out. It just requires not pretending the Creed can only apply to people with no problems in their past.

I understand your thoughts and I also believe in forgiveness. However, I believe he has established who he is and what he stands for. It would be interesting to hear his side though. How about a compromise? Talk to him but listen with a certain amount of skepticism and not just a willingness to take the most expediant course of action. Let's not just "hand him the keys yesterday".

It's apparent that Coach Chizik is in his final season. I've read many post, including Stat's (who I love btw) mentioning Petrino as head coach. Granted, he is an excellent offensive mind but how in the world do you hire this guy? Could you imagine him walking into a recruits home and telling mom that he has your sons' best interest in mind. This is a man who 1) Went behind his employer's back to interview for not one, but two jobs (Auburn & LSU). 2) This is a man who walked out of a job in the NFL and didn't even tell the team. He photocopied a letter and placed it in their lockers. 3) This is a man who lied to the Arkansas AD and his own family about what had occurred. Long and short of it is that he will be slaughtered on the recruiting trail. Plus, how can you justify hiring a man with the morals of a billy goat? He may coach again and win, but I hope he's not winning at Auburn. My 2 cents...WDE as always.

I couldn't agree with you more. Petrino is NOT an example of an Auburn Man. I would be hard pressed to agree to send my son someplace where he would be influenced by such a man.

By this logic, in all honesty, Chizik is one of the biggest, best Auburn Men you will find. Honest question, should we accept 1-7 seasons when coached by an Auburn man over 7-1 seasons coached by someone who is not? I honestly mean that in the nicest way possible. It just seems the fan base is split on what we want in a head coach.

Come on TT. You are the last person I would expect to be so duplicitous. Other than productive offenses, Petrino's career is nothing but red flags. You are always talking about the social implications of prevailing attitudes. Win at any cost? Is that really the world you want to live in? There is a reason you are tired of hearing it for the "umpteenth" time. You DON'T throw your creed out the window to win football games.

It's not duplicitous to give someone a chance. I'm not proposing to ignore his past but to look at it and see if there are reasons to think he's not repentant and changed from it. Absent such indicators I think you hire him because he's the best one for the job who we can get.

It doesn't require throwing the Creed out. It just requires not pretending the Creed can only apply to people with no problems in their past.

I understand your thoughts and I also believe in forgiveness. However, I believe he has established who he is and what he stands for. It would be interesting to hear his side though. How about a compromise? Talk to him but listen with a certain amount of skepticism and not just a willingness to take the most expediant course of action. Let's not just "hand him the keys yesterday".

In the spirit of true compromise, I'm available.

I don't really want Patrino either but if you think.recruits or their parents will care about that stuff your crazy everyone makes mistakes he has paid for it. Most parents with talented kids look at it for what it is the guy can coach football and I can promise you if Arkansas had to do it all over again they would have kept him. If he and his family have made it through all that stuff why can't the fans? He did something wrong and he got caught he's not the first and he's not the last. Judge the man on his coaching abilities not his personal life "EVERYONE" makes mistakes nobody is perfect.

You honestly believe Petrino is the best candidate out there who will come to Auburn? What has Petrino done in his career that would warrent him getting a look? His incredible defenses? Or maybe his win record against our biggest rivals? How many times did he beat Bama? I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want him.

By this logic, in all honesty, Chizik is one of the biggest, best Auburn Men you will find. Honest question, should we accept 1-7 seasons when coached by an Auburn man over 7-1 seasons coached by someone who is not? I honestly mean that in the nicest way possible. It just seems the fan base is split on what we want in a head coach.

i know what you mean....a month ago,i would have had a duck at the thought of petrino coaching at AU....today,i would get my truck and help him move to AU....we need a coach,not a sunday school teacher

If you want to be like them, all you have to do is go to walmart and buy a red sweatshirt then drive to tuscaloosa and kneel down before the statues. Really, winning is all that matters? That's really what you want?

I understand the disappointment of losing the way we are losing. Don't let what is going on now cause you to compromise who you are, who we are.

Football has winners and losers and I don't see the NCAA going to Tuscaloosa and taking away Paul Bryant or Nick Saban's ill gained hardware. It turns out that wild, rampant internet speculation does not make one guilty.

Yes, I think we should hire a coach that will provide wins, and titles. If that is not the goal of the University then should turn Jordan-Hare into an intramural field, make tickets free and be done with it. Bobby Petrino has never had any NCAA issues. He is just a really good coach. Leaving jobs for other teams is part of football. They all do it and if Bobby is willing to come to AU despite how our leadership screwed it up in 2003 then bless his heart. Maybe some people don't understand that coaching football is a job. These guys are hired guns brought in to win games and increase revenue. Leave the nice guy stuff to the Chaplin. Give us a coach that can develop our kids so they can play in the NFL and win titles while at Auburn.

Nice guys do NOT finish last. If you truly do not believe character matters, then I do not believe you understand what Auburn is about. Yes, football has winners and losers, but so does life. Which one is more important?

I don't CARE if our next coach is nice or not. Why is that so hard to understand? Do you consider Saban nice? Are you saying he is not good at his job? What about Chip Kelly, or Brian Kelly? Those men are football coaches. They get paid to win games not attend church functions. Auburn does not pay Gene Chizik $30K a day to be nice. They pay him to run the football program. We need someone that can run the football program and maintain a top 10 team. Being nice should not factor into the decision.

How about moral? How about ethical? And, how far are you willing to go when you part ways with your principles? Can your coach do anything as long as he wins and doesn't get caught? The more you argue the lower your moral plateau becomes. I think it is best if we simply acknoledge our disagreement and concede that no one's mind will be changed.

I am not parting from my principles at all. I have always thought the football coach should be qualified based on his performance. Not who he knows, not skin color, not what church he does or does not attend. If a coach gets caught cheating he gets terminated. Didn't happen to Shug for some reason despite his poor record. But I think we should be above that type of homerism and good ole boy antics now in 2012. I think it is also time for Auburn to throw away the excuse about how we are to nice to win, and instead focus on working hard and being great at everything we do. I am terrified that the wrong hire could make our climb back take decades. The only thing that separates our program from Mississppi State is Pat Dye. And the foundation he built is crumbling.

I honestly do not care about Petrino's past with the motorcycle thing.. lying to the administration, his family, the world etc.. Everyone makes mistakes and everyone falls short for whatever reasons.. but not everyone is in the spotlight when it happens to them.. so that makes it really big. I am more concerned about his track record as a head coach. He never won the big games.. LSU once? Did he ever beat Bama? Nope.. Foget all his baggage.. he shouldn't be considered because he never really did anything spectacular as HC and that is just my opinion.

You honestly believe Petrino is the best candidate out there who will come to Auburn? What has Petrino done in his career that would warrent him getting a look? His incredible defenses? Or maybe his win record against our biggest rivals? How many times did he beat Bama? I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want him.

I think they should talk to Garry Patterson first and then CBP. But 4 years ago there were some great options out there like Brian Kelly, and Kevin Sumlin who had taken mid-tier programs and turned them into champions. I don't see those type of coaches out there now. Charlie Strong has been underwhelming and there is a good chance he wouldn't leave his $3 mill a year job for AU. What other options are there? Kirby Smart is not the defensive coordinator at Alabama, Saban is. Might as well hire Kevin Steele. The pickens are slim.

if the Auburn Athletic Department hires this guys it goes to prove that the "Auburn Family" was nothing more than a ploy to get people to buy in to Chizik's tenure because that mantra started under him. We can't preach family and then go out and hire a man that cheated on his wife and almost ruined his own family.

We can do better, really. I have come to the realization that the HC is plain and simple, an EMPLOYEE, period. You hire the best coach available and willing to come. YOu hold him to high standards on and off the field. If he performs and upholds the standards you set out you keep him. If he does not your fire him. ITs time we take this aproach at Auburn. The insiders and backroomers have had their shot. Lets now run AUburns althletic dept professionally by professionals. Forrest Gump and Bubba have had their time.

I'd rather a get a lesser coach than have Petrino. If we hire him we are no better than the gumps. A win at any cost mentality.

We can do better, really. I have come to the realization that the HC is plain and simple, an EMPLOYEE, period. You hire the best coach available and willing to come. YOu hold him to high standards on and off the field. If he performs and upholds the standards you set out you keep him. If he does not your fire him. ITs time we take this aproach at Auburn. The insiders and backroomers have had their shot. Lets now run AUburns althletic dept professionally by professionals. Forrest Gump and Bubba have had their time.

i pretty much agree with you,especially about forrest and bubba.....i still think petrino is the best option to fix AU football.....show me someone better,that we could hire,and i'll jump on the bandwagon,but until you show me that man,petrino is still the best option

Felony arrests, rampant drug use, multiple public intox arrests. Has Petrino had problems of that magnitude anywhere he's been?

I guess to the Holy Rollers and the Creed Bunch, infidelity to your spouse is the end all.

As a Christian, I would technically be one of your "Holy Rollers" but I am in favor of Bobby Petrino. The Bible teaches us to be hard to offend and quick to forgive. What he did in his personal life does not lead me to believe that would interfere with being a great coach. If we were to look for a good Christian coach, unfortunately it would be very difficult. Anyways, bottom line is that Petrino would have my vote

I use the term "Holy Roller" to describe people who use religion as their basis to judge people. These are the ones that seem to forget the teachings of John 8:7.

John 8-7 is that the one praising lowriders, girls, and tequilla?

What is that supposed to mean?

I'd rather a get a lesser coach than have Petrino. If we hire him we are no better than the gumps. A win at any cost mentality.

did you enjoy last night,or the whole season for that matter?....a committment to winning is how you become champions.....anything less,you become chumps

Archived