New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

I watch football just like you do, just so happens my opinion differs from yours. I will be the first one to walk Chizik out the door, pack for him, whatever he needs to hit the road but I do not see Petrino as the savior of Auburn football nor do I see him as the best choice we have. JMHO

There is no option more proven. The rest are an utter roll of the dice. We know Petrino can win n this league even with lesser players because he coaches them up. Get him the knd of talent upgrade he'd have at Auburn and a good DC and the sky's the limit.

Given Petrino's past behavior, I would think he would also be considered a roll of the dice and a risky proposition at best. If Auburn hires him they are messing with fire.

If anything it's the opposite. He knows that if he gets another shot at a big time program he cannot screw it up or his career is literally finished. Plus his sin was made public. He was forced to deal with it rather than pretend it doesn't exist. And finally, we are in a unique position to put more accountability and other protections in place than any normal coach would ever have to accept.

The rest are a roll of the dice on the field, which is what we are ultimately hiring them for.

There's a very good chance you know more about what's going on with Auburn football than most of us do. But as someone who deals with human behavior for a living, let me just say... this is patently untrue. I think it's no more than wishful thinking.

It's possible Petrino is trying to turn things around, and I wish him success. I prayed for him when the news broke last spring. But it's not Auburn's job to take that kind of risk. The basic argument you're making is no different than if a bank exec gets busted for corruption. Knowing the consequences and so forth, surely he wouldn't do it again. Would he?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I watch football just like you do, just so happens my opinion differs from yours. I will be the first one to walk Chizik out the door, pack for him, whatever he needs to hit the road but I do not see Petrino as the savior of Auburn football nor do I see him as the best choice we have. JMHO

There is no option more proven. The rest are an utter roll of the dice. We know Petrino can win n this league even with lesser players because he coaches them up. Get him the knd of talent upgrade he'd have at Auburn and a good DC and the sky's the limit.

Given Petrino's past behavior, I would think he would also be considered a roll of the dice and a risky proposition at best. If Auburn hires him they are messing with fire.

If anything it's the opposite. He knows that if he gets another shot at a big time program he cannot screw it up or his career is literally finished. Plus his sin was made public. He was forced to deal with it rather than pretend it doesn't exist. And finally, we are in a unique position to put more accountability and other protections in place than any normal coach would ever have to accept.

The rest are a roll of the dice on the field, which is what we are ultimately hiring them for.

There's a very good chance you know more about what's going on with Auburn football than most of us do. But as someone who deals with human behavior for a living, let me just say... this is patently untrue. I think it's no more than wishful thinking.

It's possible Petrino is trying to turn things around, and I wish him success. I prayed for him when the news broke last spring. But it's not Auburn's job to take that kind of risk. The basic argument you're making is no different than if a bank exec gets busted for corruption. Knowing the consequences and so forth, surely he wouldn't do it again. Would he?

Thank You!

Ugh...I gotta take a break from this thread. All that seems to be talked about is pros and cons of BP. Guess what?...None of us have a say about who is chosen as coach or what his personal life entails. I think we all agree to disagree one way or the other about Bobby Petrino....its getting a little exhausting.sigh

Ugh...I gotta take a break from this thread. All that seems to be talked about is pros and cons of BP. Guess what?...None of us have a say about who is chosen as coach or what his personal life entails. I think we all agree to disagree one way or the other about Bobby Petrino....its getting a little exhausting.sigh

What the hell is WRONG with you? This is an Auburn coaching thread? And you have the nerve to bring SANITY into the conversation? Screw you and the horse you rode in on. ;) WDE

What the hell is WRONG with you? This is an Auburn coaching thread? And you have the nerve to bring SANITY into the conversation? Screw you and the horse you rode in on. ;) WDE

Yeah...sanity...what was I thinking

I think we've beaten a dead horse back to life then killed him again...jus sayin

Lol!

AU needs to hire a coach that runs an offense for what we have recruited for the past 4 or 5 years THE SPREAD and theres several that AU could contact. The next coach also needs to be hands on not a Ceo in other words its his offense his system his schemes so if the off. cod. leaves its on to the next guy to execute the offense not worrying about if the next hire will be a hit or miss with a new system.

Patrino is a football coach. And he takes football very serious and goes to work at his job. Its a business and he approaches it that way i think.

I don't think banging your mistress and giving her a job in the athletic department exactly qualifies as approaching your job as a business.

I would be willing to forget the affair, but using your position of power to get your mistress a job with the school just shows that BP is wreck less and stupid. This is why he cannot be Auburn's next coach.

I just dont buy into what you're line of thinking. It's a fact that Petrino has rarely left anywhere on good terms and he certainly doesn't appear to have learned from his past mistakes. If he's hired, there will be empty seats and funding issues.

I just dont buy into what you're line of thinking. It's a fact that Petrino has rarely left anywhere on good terms and he certainly doesn't appear to have learned from his past mistakes. If he's hired, there will be empty seats and funding issues.

Only if he loses. And deep down, you know this is true. You want empty seats and funding issues, take another flyer on the nice guy and watch him get pummeled by Saban, Richt, Muschamp, Miles and Spurrier. And possibly Petrino at Tennessee.

Cmon guys, it's not an either-or. Petrino has accomplished more than most other possible candidates (assuming Patterson & Peterson are unavailable). But that does not mean he's Auburn's only hope. History solidly proves the contrary.

You think Petrino's the best bet? I can understand that. If you'd acknowledge that he also comes with serious risks, you'd be a lot more persuasive. When you say he's learned his lesson, that just means you don't take the risks seriously.

Does anyone think that Peterson may be another Hawkins? Successful at BSU, gets a bigger and better gig (well I doubt that COlorado is bigger or better), then on to the ESPN retirement home.

Only if he loses. And deep down, you know this is true. You want empty seats and funding issues, take another flyer on the nice guy and watch him get pummeled by Saban, Richt, Muschamp, Miles and Spurrier. And possibly Petrino at Tennessee.

I would rather have a coach with integrity than sell out to the devil. I'm an alum and season ticket holder and I know many others that feel the same way that I do. We all dearly love Auburn and are prepared to exercise tough love and forfeit our ticket priorities of that's what it takes to make our point. Auburn can't afford the fallout that will surely occur if he is hired.

Cmon guys, it's not an either-or. Petrino has accomplished more than most other possible candidates (assuming Patterson & Peterson are unavailable). But that does not mean he's Auburn's only hope. History solidly proves the contrary.

You think Petrino's the best bet? I can understand that. If you'd acknowledge that he also comes with serious risks, you'd be a lot more persuasive. When you say he's learned his lesson, that just means you don't take the risks seriously.

History is mixed. Dye worked out great, though we did know he had SEC experience under Bear. Bowden started great and flamed out leaving the cupboard bare from years of bad recruiting. Chizik caught lightning in a bottle and now has us staring at a winless SEC season and is only a hail Mary pass at the end of the half from having us 0-8 right now and in total disarray.

Patrino is a football coach. And he takes football very serious and goes to work at his job. Its a business and he approaches it that way i think.

I don't think banging your mistress and giving her a job in the athletic department exactly qualifies as approaching your job as a business.

I would be willing to forget the affair, but using your position of power to get your mistress a job with the school just shows that BP is wreck less and stupid. This is why he cannot be Auburn's next coach.

Nah -- that was Petrino who had the motorcycle wreck with his mistress. AF72 is talking about Patrino.

I would rather have a coach with integrity than sell out to the devil. I'm an alum and season ticket holder and I know many others that feel the same way that I do. We all dearly love Auburn and are prepared to exercise tough love and forfeit our ticket priorities of that's what it takes to make our point. Auburn can't afford the fallout that will surely occur if he is hired.

I would like to see if Greg Schiano is interested in returning to college football!

A-FREAKING-MEN!!! TT and whoever else, give it up. Petrino has won exactly ZERO championships. He never will either.

Archived