New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

I hope its not Petrino. I dont understand people's obsession with this clown. Hes a great offensive mind but i doubt him as a head coach and hes not a great recruiter.

Can you imagine parents wanting to send their kids away to be in the hands of this guy? His character is tainted and his word cant be trusted.

Put me down for a Gus vote and not that he would ever come but Gruden's fire would be a nice change of pace.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why people keep listing coaches that will absolutely never accept a position here. Who is the best HC in the NFL? Just list his name and say you want him. Makes about as much sense.

Because its a message board. That's what we do sometimes

I honestly think that unless there is some current red flag that makes us think Petrino isn't really repentant and changed, we are absolutely nuts not to go get him. Jimbo Fisher is not the answer. Neither are these other dozen unproven people. We are not going up against Dinardo, Zook, Shula and Goff anymore. This is no time for trying to search for diamonds in the rough and hope for the best. We've done the unproven, nice guy crap twice in the last 20 years and it's burned us twice and left Auburn in a disastrous position. It's time to go get the best COACH and help him put together a great staff. The only proven coach in the bunch is Petrino.

And before I read the umpteen thousandth post about the Creed, let me remind you that the Creed is not a statement that says imperfect people, even people who've screwed up a lot in life can't be part of Auburn. If we want to measure everything by the Creed many if not most of our Tiger heroes have fallen short in various ways over the years and we haven't drummed them out of the family. No one's proposing hiring someone who is actively screwing around, but the Creed is not a tool to be used to hold someone's past against them forever. It's great to have standards, but standards aren't meant to keep a person down and among the "unclean" the rest of their lives.

We can either get into this fight to win or we can fart around with nice guys. I for one am sick of the latter option. It's time to get someone in here that demands excellence, has crazy attention to detail and will coach players up to play FOOTBALL like it's meant to be played. Give CBP the keys to the place now.

Come on TT. You are the last person I would expect to be so duplicitous. Other than productive offenses, Petrino's career is nothing but red flags. You are always talking about the social implications of prevailing attitudes. Win at any cost? Is that really the world you want to live in? There is a reason you are tired of hearing it for the "umpteenth" time. You DON'T throw your creed out the window to win football games.

This is football and football is about winning.. what about forgiveness? Patrino knows he messed up and should have another shot..

WRONG. It is not all about winning. Petrino has established a reputation, an MO, a pattern of behavior that says he is irresponsible, uncaring, and selfish. You are not talking about a good man who did a bad thing. You are talking about a man who consistantly does bad things with little regard to how his action affect others.

If he did bad things he would be in prison. Changing jobs or showing favoritism to get someone else a job is not beyond forgivable.

Justify it all you'd like. People who are good at being devious don't always go to jail and it is niave to believe they all do. No one ever got away with a crime or a lie? Of course not. Petrino is old enough to have established character. Do you want that character to be out in front representing Auburn? How many of you believed Arkansas did the right thing by firing him? How many of you wanted Clinton impeached even though the economy was booming?

These were the same issues that Bama faced when they hired Saban. He left Michigan State, LSU, and Miami to take other jobs. You know why? Because he was in demand. You know why? Not because of his magnificent personality. It is because he can win. Should Alabama be embarrassed he is their coach? Nope. Because he is paid to coach games not attend sunday school.

If you want to be like them, all you have to do is go to walmart and buy a red sweatshirt then drive to tuscaloosa and kneel down before the statues. Really, winning is all that matters? That's really what you want?

I understand the disappointment of losing the way we are losing. Don't let what is going on now cause you to compromise who you are, who we are.

I honestly think that unless there is some current red flag that makes us think Petrino isn't really repentant and changed, we are absolutely nuts not to go get him. Jimbo Fisher is not the answer. Neither are these other dozen unproven people. We are not going up against Dinardo, Zook, Shula and Goff anymore. This is no time for trying to search for diamonds in the rough and hope for the best. We've done the unproven, nice guy crap twice in the last 20 years and it's burned us twice and left Auburn in a disastrous position. It's time to go get the best COACH and help him put together a great staff. The only proven coach in the bunch is Petrino.

And before I read the umpteen thousandth post about the Creed, let me remind you that the Creed is not a statement that says imperfect people, even people who've screwed up a lot in life can't be part of Auburn. If we want to measure everything by the Creed many if not most of our Tiger heroes have fallen short in various ways over the years and we haven't drummed them out of the family. No one's proposing hiring someone who is actively screwing around, but the Creed is not a tool to be used to hold someone's past against them forever. It's great to have standards, but standards aren't meant to keep a person down and among the "unclean" the rest of their lives.

We can either get into this fight to win or we can fart around with nice guys. I for one am sick of the latter option. It's time to get someone in here that demands excellence, has crazy attention to detail and will coach players up to play FOOTBALL like it's meant to be played. Give CBP the keys to the place now.

Come on TT. You are the last person I would expect to be so duplicitous. Other than productive offenses, Petrino's career is nothing but red flags. You are always talking about the social implications of prevailing attitudes. Win at any cost? Is that really the world you want to live in? There is a reason you are tired of hearing it for the "umpteenth" time. You DON'T throw your creed out the window to win football games.

This is football and football is about winning.. what about forgiveness? Patrino knows he messed up and should have another shot..

WRONG. It is not all about winning. Petrino has established a reputation, an MO, a pattern of behavior that says he is irresponsible, uncaring, and selfish. You are not talking about a good man who did a bad thing. You are talking about a man who consistantly does bad things with little regard to how his action affect others.

What are all these things you speak of? Besides the affair I havent heard of anything else..

Ask the people at Louisville and the Atlanta Falcons. Look, I realize I am waaaaaaaay up on a high horse here but, you've got to ask yourself, is this what we want? I have no doubts that he will be successful, but like Saban, the more he is worshiped, the better he will perform.

And for those who want to take cheap shots at Shug. He was a better man and better coach than Bryant. Shug just didn't sell his soul. We should think about that.

Tubs went in the locker room and told his players at ol miss that he wasnt leaving.. then was gone on monday.. thats the way coaches do..doesnt mean he had character flaws.. its a business. But I loved Tubs as a man and coach at AU.

I hope its not Petrino. I dont understand people's obsession with this clown. Hes a great offensive mind but i doubt him as a head coach and hes not a great recruiter.

Can you imagine parents wanting to send their kids away to be in the hands of this guy? His character is tainted and his word cant be trusted.

Put me down for a Gus vote and not that he would ever come but Gruden's fire would be a nice change of pace.

You are 100% right about patrino bring him and you might as well get the tombstone ready for this program.

What are all these things you speak of? Besides the affair I havent heard of anything else..

Ask the people at Louisville and the Atlanta Falcons. Look, I realize I am waaaaaaaay up on a high horse here but, you've got to ask yourself, is this what we want? I have no doubts that he will be successful, but like Saban, the more he is worshiped, the better he will perform.

And for those who want to take cheap shots at Shug. He was a better man and better coach than Bryant. Shug just didn't sell his soul. We should think about that.

Tubs went in the locker room and told his players at ol miss that he wasnt leaving.. then was gone on monday.. thats the way coaches do..doesnt mean he had character flaws.. its a business. But I loved Tubs as a man and coach at AU.

Is that the way it works? You justify things by saying that's just the way it is done? No one should stand for something more? We should build a world of uncompromised winning but completely principles? You guys need to work on Wall St.

You are 100% right about patrino bring him and you might as well get the tombstone ready for this program.

So I think Petrino is probably as big of an A$$ as everyone else thinks, but honestly he had the Arkansas program in a place they have rarely ever been. While I don't want him as the preacher at my church, I'm just not sure why its such a big deal to have him as the face of our program. The guy can coach football.

If you want to be like them, all you have to do is go to walmart and buy a red sweatshirt then drive to tuscaloosa and kneel down before the statues. Really, winning is all that matters? That's really what you want?

I understand the disappointment of losing the way we are losing. Don't let what is going on now cause you to compromise who you are, who we are.

Football has winners and losers and I don't see the NCAA going to Tuscaloosa and taking away Paul Bryant or Nick Saban's ill gained hardware. It turns out that wild, rampant internet speculation does not make one guilty.

Yes, I think we should hire a coach that will provide wins, and titles. If that is not the goal of the University then should turn Jordan-Hare into an intramural field, make tickets free and be done with it. Bobby Petrino has never had any NCAA issues. He is just a really good coach. Leaving jobs for other teams is part of football. They all do it and if Bobby is willing to come to AU despite how our leadership screwed it up in 2003 then bless his heart. Maybe some people don't understand that coaching football is a job. These guys are hired guns brought in to win games and increase revenue. Leave the nice guy stuff to the Chaplin. Give us a coach that can develop our kids so they can play in the NFL and win titles while at Auburn.

So I think Petrino is probably as big of an A$$ as everyone else thinks, but honestly he had the Arkansas program in a place they have rarely ever been. While I don't want him as the preacher at my church, I'm just not sure why its such a big deal to have him as the face of our program. The guy can coach football.

You want him responsible for your teenage son? I sure wouldn't.

I honestly wouldn't. I also have seen video of Saban cussing 12 year old kids up and down as they sit at one of his football camps. So I honestly wouldn't want him coaching my teenage son either. But it sure seems like everyone in the country is more than willing to have him coach theirs.

does anyone think coach mal would come back? i was under the impression he left with a bad taste in his mouth?

Could he do worse than the current guy at the helm?

Football has winners and losers and I don't see the NCAA going to Tuscaloosa and taking away Paul Bryant or Nick Saban's ill gained hardware. It turns out that wild, rampant internet speculation does not make one guilty.

Yes, I think we should hire a coach that will provide wins, and titles. If that is not the goal of the University then should turn Jordan-Hare into an intramural field, make tickets free and be done with it. Bobby Petrino has never had any NCAA issues. He is just a really good coach. Leaving jobs for other teams is part of football. They all do it and if Bobby is willing to come to AU despite how our leadership screwed it up in 2003 then bless his heart. Maybe some people don't understand that coaching football is a job. These guys are hired guns brought in to win games and increase revenue. Leave the nice guy stuff to the Chaplin. Give us a coach that can develop our kids so they can play in the NFL and win titles while at Auburn.

Nice guys do NOT finish last. If you truly do not believe character matters, then I do not believe you understand what Auburn is about. Yes, football has winners and losers, but so does life. Which one is more important?

Felony arrests, rampant drug use, multiple public intox arrests. Has Petrino had problems of that magnitude anywhere he's been?

I guess to the Holy Rollers and the Creed Bunch, infidelity to your spouse is the end all.

does anyone think coach mal would come back? i was under the impression he left with a bad taste in his mouth?

I got the same feeling. I honestly want someone more proven than him. I know there are two lines of thought on his offense, but I still am of the "its gimmicky" crowd. I want to see an offense that gets out on the field and moves the ball, runs correct routes, and looks polished. The double flea flicker, reverse jet sweep is just not what I'm after. For the exact same reasons I'm over the wildcat. It worked for awhile. At times it even worked very, very well. Now.... not so much.

No way a coach like Cowher or Gruden would come here.

Is that you Jay Jacobs? How do you know that? You can't just throw it out there and say "they would never come here". Every coach has a price and for the right amount of money they would take over any program.. anywhere. But if you never ask.. of course they will never come..

Nice guys do NOT finish last. If you truly do not believe character matters, then I do not believe you understand what Auburn is about. Yes, football has winners and losers, but so does life. Which one is more important?

I don't CARE if our next coach is nice or not. Why is that so hard to understand? Do you consider Saban nice? Are you saying he is not good at his job? What about Chip Kelly, or Brian Kelly? Those men are football coaches. They get paid to win games not attend church functions. Auburn does not pay Gene Chizik $30K a day to be nice. They pay him to run the football program. We need someone that can run the football program and maintain a top 10 team. Being nice should not factor into the decision.

Felony arrests, rampant drug use, multiple public intox arrests. Has Petrino had problems of that magnitude anywhere he's been?

I guess to the Holy Rollers and the Creed Bunch, infidelity to your spouse is the end all.

As a Christian, I would technically be one of your "Holy Rollers" but I am in favor of Bobby Petrino. The Bible teaches us to be hard to offend and quick to forgive. What he did in his personal life does not lead me to believe that would interfere with being a great coach. If we were to look for a good Christian coach, unfortunately it would be very difficult. Anyways, bottom line is that Petrino would have my vote

No way a coach like Cowher or Gruden would come here.

Is that you Jay Jacobs? How do you know that? You can't just throw it out there and say "they would never come here". Every coach has a price and for the right amount of money they would take over any program.. anywhere. But if you never ask.. of course they will never come..

No Gene, this is not Jay. This is someone with more than two brain cells that realizes that a coach of Gruden or Cowhers stature would never accept a job to the dumpster fire that is Auburn football. Please take your head out of the sand and join me in reality.

We have absolutely NO leadership! Not from the bungling AD, all the way to the President. Other schools that will be in the market for a HC, can offer anything we can, without the excess baggage that comes with the Auburn job. That is why Petrino is our best bet. He is clearly the best available coach that we have a shot at, unless you want to take another shot at a "up and comer". Go ahead and make he case for coaches like Strong, I just hope you realize the same thing people are saying about him, was also said about Turner Gill 4 years ago.

It's apparent that Coach Chizik is in his final season. I've read many post, including Stat's (who I love btw) mentioning Petrino as head coach. Granted, he is an excellent offensive mind but how in the world do you hire this guy? Could you imagine him walking into a recruits home and telling mom that he has your sons' best interest in mind. This is a man who 1) Went behind his employer's back to interview for not one, but two jobs (Auburn & LSU). 2) This is a man who walked out of a job in the NFL and didn't even tell the team. He photocopied a letter and placed it in their lockers. 3) This is a man who lied to the Arkansas AD and his own family about what had occurred. Long and short of it is that he will be slaughtered on the recruiting trail. Plus, how can you justify hiring a man with the morals of a billy goat? He may coach again and win, but I hope he's not winning at Auburn. My 2 cents...WDE as always.

It's not duplicitous to give someone a chance. I'm not proposing to ignore his past but to look at it and see if there are reasons to think he's not repentant and changed from it. Absent such indicators I think you hire him because he's the best one for the job who we can get.

It doesn't require throwing the Creed out. It just requires not pretending the Creed can only apply to people with no problems in their past.

As a Christian, I would technically be one of your "Holy Rollers" but I am in favor of Bobby Petrino. The Bible teaches us to be hard to offend and quick to forgive. What he did in his personal life does not lead me to believe that would interfere with being a great coach. If we were to look for a good Christian coach, unfortunately it would be very difficult. Anyways, bottom line is that Petrino would have my vote

I use the term "Holy Roller" to describe people who use religion as their basis to judge people. These are the ones that seem to forget the teachings of John 8:7.

I don't CARE if our next coach is nice or not. Why is that so hard to understand? Do you consider Saban nice? Are you saying he is not good at his job? What about Chip Kelly, or Brian Kelly? Those men are football coaches. They get paid to win games not attend church functions. Auburn does not pay Gene Chizik $30K a day to be nice. They pay him to run the football program. We need someone that can run the football program and maintain a top 10 team. Being nice should not factor into the decision.

How about moral? How about ethical? And, how far are you willing to go when you part ways with your principles? Can your coach do anything as long as he wins and doesn't get caught? The more you argue the lower your moral plateau becomes. I think it is best if we simply acknoledge our disagreement and concede that no one's mind will be changed.

Archived