New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on TT. You are the last person I would expect to be so duplicitous. Other than productive offenses, Petrino's career is nothing but red flags. You are always talking about the social implications of prevailing attitudes. Win at any cost? Is that really the world you want to live in? There is a reason you are tired of hearing it for the "umpteenth" time. You DON'T throw your creed out the window to win football games.

It's not duplicitous to give someone a chance. I'm not proposing to ignore his past but to look at it and see if there are reasons to think he's not repentant and changed from it. Absent such indicators I think you hire him because he's the best one for the job who we can get.

It doesn't require throwing the Creed out. It just requires not pretending the Creed can only apply to people with no problems in their past.

You honestly believe Petrino is the best candidate out there who will come to Auburn? What has Petrino done in his career that would warrent him getting a look? His incredible defenses? Or maybe his win record against our biggest rivals? How many times did he beat Bama? I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want him.

Maybe it's that he took Louisville to 10 and 12 win seasons and a BCS bowl win. Or that he took Arkansas to 10 and 11 win seasons. Or that he did the latter in the most brutal division in football. Or that virtually any coach you talk to will tell you he's the best offensive mind since Sourrier came along (another guy people said couldn't field a defense...until he hooked up with a good DC like Stoops and Strong).

The rest are hopes and wishes. Petrino is proven and did it with far less talent than the big boys because Arky never recruits that well.

Felony arrests, rampant drug use, multiple public intox arrests. Has Petrino had problems of that magnitude anywhere he's been?

I guess to the Holy Rollers and the Creed Bunch, infidelity to your spouse is the end all.

As a Christian, I would technically be one of your "Holy Rollers" but I am in favor of Bobby Petrino. The Bible teaches us to be hard to offend and quick to forgive. What he did in his personal life does not lead me to believe that would interfere with being a great coach. If we were to look for a good Christian coach, unfortunately it would be very difficult. Anyways, bottom line is that Petrino would have my vote

I use the term "Holy Roller" to describe people who use religion as their basis to judge people. These are the ones that seem to forget the teachings of John 8:7.

John 8-7 is that the one praising lowriders, girls, and tequilla?

Ok, I see everyone making their cases on what coaches and all that. What about Bronco Mendenhall from BYU? Granted he is not going to the biggest bowls or even bringing in the best recruiting classes, but he has BYU hanging with every major college team they have played. They have beaten teams such as Oregon St, Oregon, Oklahoma, Ole MIss, and other major colleges that are suppose to beat them. He has them constantly going into PAC 12, SEC, and the other BCS Conferences and hanging with them to the end. I imagine he could do alot for our program here with better recruiting and coaching. I was impressed with BYU for sticking with Notre Dame a couple of weeks ago.

I like and appreciate the way Petrino calls a football game, but his track record speaks for itself and speaks volumes. There are those who say lets talk to him and see if he's repented...what do you think he's gonna say? If he had just one episode and not three to speak of then I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. However, he has lied to his superiors on at least FOUR occasions (Jetgate, LSU, Falcons owner Arthur Blank and the AD at Arkansas). Notice I left out his WIFE. I'm not sure what he told her, but given his track record and moral compass I'd be willing to bet it probably wasn't the truth. Would I still pull for Auburn if he was hired? Of course I would, but I'd be very hesitant to believe anything that came out of his mouth. If he's successful and is linked to other jobs would you believe him when he says "I love Auburn and intend on being here for a long time."? I for one will not. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, well....WDE!

After what Petrino has put himself through, I seriously doubt he'd do that again. I think he's going to walk the straight and narrow. Apparently he and his wife have either gotten back together or working on it (from what I have read, I have no direct knowledge of that) but if she is willing to forgive him, why can't the rest of us? After all, she and their children were the hurt people here, not AU or anyone else. There are some who feel that Petrino screwed AU when he left after only one year as OC. What some or all don't remember is that he left to become a Head Coach. Who could possibly fault him for that? The one issue I have with the way he left Atlanta was that one day he's telling the owner that he was "all in (to borrow a much over-used phrase these days)" but the next day he bolted for Arkansas. He had an outstanding record at Arkansas, but I do have to agree that the Arkansas defenses were not world-beaters, but maybe that could change with the resources he would have at AU. After all, AU is about 2 hours from Birmingham and 2 hours from Atlanta and maybe a little longer to Gulf Shores and the beaches in FL. What in the hell is Fayetteville close to? Besides, Bob Petrino is going to be hired by someone, despite his past character flaw. It might as well be AU.

Gruden is who I want because I know he wouldn't give a flip about the guy on the other side of the state and he has a nasty mean streak and that's what we need at AU right now no more nice guys!

^^^^^ THIS!

I hope its not Petrino. I dont understand people's obsession with this clown. Hes a great offensive mind but i doubt him as a head coach and hes not a great recruiter.

Can you imagine parents wanting to send their kids away to be in the hands of this guy? His character is tainted and his word cant be trusted.

Put me down for a Gus vote and not that he would ever come but Gruden's fire would be a nice change of pace.

You are 100% right about patrino bring him and you might as well get the tombstone ready for this program.

Two people get it about Petrino...

Petrino in a recruits home. The recruits home is headed by a single mother...

Petrino... "Your son is an excellent talent and we would love to have him at our institution. We will make sure he has the guidence and help him develop into a young man of great character."

Single Mother... Silence so long that you can almost hear crickets... the silence is finally broken by hysterical laughter... "Your gonna develop the character of my son!" The Single Mother says incerdulosuy. "I already dealt with your type who turns his back on wife and family to get a little strange on the side with a little homewrecker. Im trying to teach my son t be better than that. Get the H*!! out of my house."

I hope its not Petrino. I dont understand people's obsession with this clown. Hes a great offensive mind but i doubt him as a head coach and hes not a great recruiter.

Can you imagine parents wanting to send their kids away to be in the hands of this guy? His character is tainted and his word cant be trusted.

Put me down for a Gus vote and not that he would ever come but Gruden's fire would be a nice change of pace.

You are 100% right about patrino bring him and you might as well get the tombstone ready for this program.

Petrino... "Your son is an excellent talent and we would love to have him at our institution. We will make sure he has the guidence and help him develop into a young man of great character."

Single Mother... Silence so long that you can almost hear crickets... the silence is finally broken by hysterical laughter... "Your gonna develop the character of my son!" The Single Mother says incerdulosuy. "I already dealt with your type who turns his back on wife and family to get a little strange on the side with a little homewrecker. Im trying to teach my son t be better than that. Get the H*!! out of my house."

mod edit: Way over the top and uncalled for. Posting that kind of crap again will get you a vacation

Gruden is who I want because I know he wouldn't give a flip about the guy on the other side of the state and he has a nasty mean streak and that's what we need at AU right now no more nice guys!

^^^^^ THIS!

As much as I think he could be a great coach I dont see Chucky coming to Auburn. He loves the state of Florida and could of probably gotten either Miami of UF jobs two years ago if he was truly interested in coaching at the College level. With that being said I dont think alot of the other Pro coaches with little or no college experience will know how to deal with our bunch of spoiled quitters. I am very much reminded of the Pep rally this week where about half the players looked like they could of cared less whether or not those good Auburn people came out to support them. Couple that with what looks to be happening on the field the players at least most of them look like they have quit....

Can we have a realistic list of names of prospective HC??? If not here is my list:

1. Bill Walsh - offensive genius

2. Chuck Noll - 4 SBs great recruiting pitch

3. Jimmy Johnson - 3 SBs but great but thinning hair a proven winner

4. Buddy Ryan - Fiery even in his old age

:-\

I like watching Auburn win with Petrino wins will come and everyone makes mistakes. No one on any list is perfect. I would like to learn more about Kevin Sumlin tho. He is native to this state his players play hard. Would he want to help us out of this mess. Bryant made the move to Bama. Would b a great story line.

Come on TT. You are the last person I would expect to be so duplicitous. Other than productive offenses, Petrino's career is nothing but red flags. You are always talking about the social implications of prevailing attitudes. Win at any cost? Is that really the world you want to live in? There is a reason you are tired of hearing it for the "umpteenth" time. You DON'T throw your creed out the window to win football games.

It's not duplicitous to give someone a chance. I'm not proposing to ignore his past but to look at it and see if there are reasons to think he's not repentant and changed from it. Absent such indicators I think you hire him because he's the best one for the job who we can get.

It doesn't require throwing the Creed out. It just requires not pretending the Creed can only apply to people with no problems in their past.

You honestly believe Petrino is the best candidate out there who will come to Auburn? What has Petrino done in his career that would warrent him getting a look? His incredible defenses? Or maybe his win record against our biggest rivals? How many times did he beat Bama? I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want him.

Maybe it's that he took Louisville to 10 and 12 win seasons and a BCS bowl win. Or that he took Arkansas to 10 and 11 win seasons. Or that he did the latter in the most brutal division in football. Or that virtually any coach you talk to will tell you he's the best offensive mind since Sourrier came along (another guy people said couldn't field a defense...until he hooked up with a good DC like Stoops and Strong).

The rest are hopes and wishes. Petrino is proven and did it with far less talent than the big boys because Arky never recruits that well.

His record with Arkansas in the SEC was 17-15. He never won the West. Best was tie for 2nd. The only BCS bowl he took Arky to was Sugar bowl where he got beat by Ohio State.

Take Petrino and get instant results or get an up and coming coach with no "sins" (being sarcastic), and continue getting beat like a drum or much worse loosing 6 n a row 2 ur rival!!

I'd rather a get a lesser coach than have Petrino. If we hire him we are no better than the gumps. A win at any cost mentality.

did you enjoy last night,or the whole season for that matter?....a committment to winning is how you become champions.....anything less,you become chumps

Hiring Petrino isn't the only option that would reflect a commitment to winning. You act as if anything short of hiring him isn't making a commitment to winning. I dont get it. He's NOT the only guy in America who could get the job done.

I'd rather a get a lesser coach than have Petrino. If we hire him we are no better than the gumps. A win at any cost mentality.

did you enjoy last night,or the whole season for that matter?....a committment to winning is how you become champions.....anything less,you become chumps

Hiring Petrino isn't the only option that would reflect a commitment to winning. You act as if anything short of hiring him isn't making a commitment to winning. I dont get it. He's NOT the only guy in America who could get the job done.

Well there is Garry Patterson. I don't know of anyone else though. Strong is completely underwhelming and his tenure at Louisville pales compared to CBP. Lets say AU talks to him and he decides $3M at UL is better than moving to the SEC West. What are the other options? 4 years ago coaches like Brian Kelly and Kevin Sumlin were winning huge at lower tier programs. I don't see anyone like that now.

mod edit: Way over the top. Post something like that again and you will earn a vacation.

You give other morons a bad name.

Can we have a realistic list of names of prospective HC??? If not here is my list:

1. Bill Walsh - offensive genius

2. Chuck Noll - 4 SBs great recruiting pitch

3. Jimmy Johnson - 3 SBs but great but thinning hair a proven winner

4. Buddy Ryan - Fiery even in his old age

:-\

Can we add Butch Jones to that

Take Petrino and get instant results or get an up and coming coach with no "sins" (being sarcastic), and continue getting beat like a drum or much worse loosing 6 n a row 2 ur rival!!

Do you believe Petrino is that talented or do you believe good people are inherently incapable.

Archived