New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

I honestly think that unless there is some current red flag that makes us think Petrino isn't really repentant and changed, we are absolutely nuts not to go get him. Jimbo Fisher is not the answer. Neither are these other dozen unproven people. We are not going up against Dinardo, Zook, Shula and Goff anymore. This is no time for trying to search for diamonds in the rough and hope for the best. We've done the unproven, nice guy crap twice in the last 20 years and it's burned us twice and left Auburn in a disastrous position. It's time to go get the best COACH and help him put together a great staff. The only proven coach in the bunch is Petrino.

And before I read the umpteen thousandth post about the Creed, let me remind you that the Creed is not a statement that says imperfect people, even people who've screwed up a lot in life can't be part of Auburn. If we want to measure everything by the Creed many if not most of our Tiger heroes have fallen short in various ways over the years and we haven't drummed them out of the family. No one's proposing hiring someone who is actively screwing around, but the Creed is not a tool to be used to hold someone's past against them forever. It's great to have standards, but standards aren't meant to keep a person down and among the "unclean" the rest of their lives.

We can either get into this fight to win or we can fart around with nice guys. I for one am sick of the latter option. It's time to get someone in here that demands excellence, has crazy attention to detail and will coach players up to play FOOTBALL like it's meant to be played. Give CBP the keys to the place now.

Come on TT. You are the last person I would expect to be so duplicitous. Other than productive offenses, Petrino's career is nothing but red flags. You are always talking about the social implications of prevailing attitudes. Win at any cost? Is that really the world you want to live in? There is a reason you are tired of hearing it for the "umpteenth" time. You DON'T throw your creed out the window to win football games.

This is football and football is about winning.. what about forgiveness? Patrino knows he messed up and should have another shot..

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly think that unless there is some current red flag that makes us think Petrino isn't really repentant and changed, we are absolutely nuts not to go get him. Jimbo Fisher is not the answer. Neither are these other dozen unproven people. We are not going up against Dinardo, Zook, Shula and Goff anymore. This is no time for trying to search for diamonds in the rough and hope for the best. We've done the unproven, nice guy crap twice in the last 20 years and it's burned us twice and left Auburn in a disastrous position. It's time to go get the best COACH and help him put together a great staff. The only proven coach in the bunch is Petrino.

And before I read the umpteen thousandth post about the Creed, let me remind you that the Creed is not a statement that says imperfect people, even people who've screwed up a lot in life can't be part of Auburn. If we want to measure everything by the Creed many if not most of our Tiger heroes have fallen short in various ways over the years and we haven't drummed them out of the family. No one's proposing hiring someone who is actively screwing around, but the Creed is not a tool to be used to hold someone's past against them forever. It's great to have standards, but standards aren't meant to keep a person down and among the "unclean" the rest of their lives.

We can either get into this fight to win or we can fart around with nice guys. I for one am sick of the latter option. It's time to get someone in here that demands excellence, has crazy attention to detail and will coach players up to play FOOTBALL like it's meant to be played. Give CBP the keys to the place now.

Come on TT. You are the last person I would expect to be so duplicitous. Other than productive offenses, Petrino's career is nothing but red flags. You are always talking about the social implications of prevailing attitudes. Win at any cost? Is that really the world you want to live in? There is a reason you are tired of hearing it for the "umpteenth" time. You DON'T throw your creed out the window to win football games.

This is football and football is about winning.. what about forgiveness? Patrino knows he messed up and should have another shot..

WRONG. It is not all about winning. Petrino has established a reputation, an MO, a pattern of behavior that says he is irresponsible, uncaring, and selfish. You are not talking about a good man who did a bad thing. You are talking about a man who consistantly does bad things with little regard to how his action affect others.

Bobby Petrino could be hired to coach the football team and he has proven he is great at that. The social issues, his personal life, etc should not be a consideration. Maybe the university can keep the team chaplin and allow him to conduct the weekly interviews and keep that element of the fanbase happy. Coach BP can let his wins on the field do the talking for him. That way the people that want the football coach to win games and compete for championships will be happy and so will the fans that need the moral crutch to justify why Shug couldn't beat the Bear will be happy.

WRONG. It is not all about winning. Petrino has established a reputation, an MO, a pattern of behavior that says he is irresponsible, uncaring, and selfish. You are not talking about a good man who did a bad thing. You are talking about a man who consistantly does bad things with little regard to how his action affect others.

What are all these things you speak of? Besides the affair I havent heard of anything else..

If he did bad things he would be in prison. Changing jobs or showing favoritism to get someone else a job is not beyond forgivable.

Would anyone mind starting a poll to get some stats on who we would want as our next HC? I know there are plenty of threads with the discussion but I'd be interested to see what the majority would pick.

My iPhone wont let me start one even when I go to the full version.

Names I've heard:

Gus Malzahn

Kirby Smart

Dana Holgerson

Bobby Petrino

Charlie Strong

John Gruden

Todd Berry

Art Briles

Garry Patterson

Bill Cowher

Any others? Hopefully there isn't a limit on the names. Thank you ahead of time if anyone does this

What are all these things you speak of? Besides the affair I havent heard of anything else..

Ask the people at Louisville and the Atlanta Falcons. Look, I realize I am waaaaaaaay up on a high horse here but, you've got to ask yourself, is this what we want? I have no doubts that he will be successful, but like Saban, the more he is worshiped, the better he will perform.

And for those who want to take cheap shots at Shug. He was a better man and better coach than Bryant. Shug just didn't sell his soul. We should think about that.

Ask the people at Louisville and the Atlanta Falcons. Look, I realize I am waaaaaaaay up on a high horse here but, you've got to ask yourself, is this what we want? I have no doubts that he will be successful, but like Saban, the more he is worshiped, the better he will perform.

And for those who want to take cheap shots at Shug. He was a better man and better coach than Bryant. Shug just didn't sell his soul. We should think about that.

And there is the issue with our fans. Some would rather have a mediocre program with a nice guy running it than a championship program with a true coach. Shug won one conference title and one national title in 25 years and got dominated by Bear Bryant. To claim he was a better coach is absurd.

Gruden is who I want because I know he wouldn't give a flip about the guy on the other side of the state and he has a nasty mean streak and that's what we need at AU right now no more nice guys!

If he did bad things he would be in prison. Changing jobs or showing favoritism to get someone else a job is not beyond forgivable.

Justify it all you'd like. People who are good at being devious don't always go to jail and it is niave to believe they all do. No one ever got away with a crime or a lie? Of course not. Petrino is old enough to have established character. Do you want that character to be out in front representing Auburn? How many of you believed Arkansas did the right thing by firing him? How many of you wanted Clinton impeached even though the economy was booming?

And there is the issue with our fans. Some would rather have a mediocre program with a nice guy running it than a championship program with a true coach. Shug won one conference title and one national title in 25 years and got dominated by Bear Bryant. To claim he was a better coach is absurd.

Listen to your words. You say you know he will be successful. Thats what we need and thats what these kids come to AU to do. Be successful. Patrino is a man who made choices in his career that made people mad when he left. That always happens..

No it is not. If you and I play golf and I beat you 9 out of 10 times by cheating, am I a better golfer? Am I a winner? Life is not all about trophies and bank balances. You might want to think about how you measure a man.

Justify it all you'd like. People who are good at being devious don't always go to jail and it is niave to believe they all do. No one ever got away with a crime or a lie? Of course not. Petrino is old enough to have established character. Do you want that character to be out in front representing Auburn? How many of you believed Arkansas did the right thing by firing him? How many of you wanted Clinton impeached even though the economy was booming?

These were the same issues that Bama faced when they hired Saban. He left Michigan State, LSU, and Miami to take other jobs. You know why? Because he was in demand. You know why? Not because of his magnificent personality. It is because he can win. Should Alabama be embarrassed he is their coach? Nope. Because he is paid to coach games not attend sunday school.

No it is not. If you and I play golf and I beat you 9 out of 10 times by cheating, am I a better golfer? Am I a winner? Life is not all about trophies and bank balances. You might want to think about how you measure a man.

Hence the need of a moral crutch based on opinion and not facts such as wins and losses. You have no proof Shug was a better person or less of a cheat than Bear Bryant. You know which one was placed on probation and which was not? Right....

Listen to your words. You say you know he will be successful. Thats what we need and thats what these kids come to AU to do. Be successful. Patrino is a man who made choices in his career that made people mad when he left. That always happens..

You all know how I feel and I understand your feelings. I don't respect your feelings but I do respect your right to feel the way you do.

I don't know why people keep listing coaches that will absolutely never accept a position here. Who is the best HC in the NFL? Just list his name and say you want him. Makes about as much sense.

Archived