What Is Your Degree Worth?

Tigermike

What Is Your Degree Worth?

The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) tracks the starting salaries of new graduates in particular disciplines. The NACE's Summer 2003 Salary Survey reports the following average starting salaries for various college degrees:

Chemical engineering: $51,853

Electrical engineering: $49,946

Computer science: $47,419

Accounting: $40,546

Information sciences: $39,718

Marketing: $34,628

History: $32,108

English: $30,157

Psychology: $27,454

ENTIRE STORY

Those reported starting salaries are crap though. Mine's in Computer Science. But i dont know ANYONE who started out 40k or better with a cs or equivalent degree. That covers people in Atlanta, Bham, Mobile, Memphis, Nashville....

on salary.com the reported averages for bham are about 10k higher than they should be...

on salary.com the reported averages for bham are about 10k higher than they should be...

119386[/snapback]

That would seem to prove something I have heard many times. Men will consistently lie about two things how much money they make and the size of,,,,,,,,! :P:rolleyes:

do you know if those are regional or national salaries. i can imagine a few respondants from the northeast would skew a small sample size.

and, TM, i always thought size didn't matter.

ct

Those reported starting salaries are crap though. Mine's in Computer Science. But i dont know ANYONE who started out 40k or better with a cs or equivalent degree. That covers people in Atlanta, Bham, Mobile, Memphis, Nashville....

Hmmm... The company for which I work in Birmingham has an entry level Java position available - pays in the 50's. We're looking for a recent college graduate or "junior" type developer. Maybe its not the norm, but it's there.

Having spent most of my professional career in Atlanta, I can tell you that there are a lot of entry level CS positions in the high 40's to mid 50's - I've even hired entry level people at that level of pay.

Maybe they just don't pay Bama grads that much... :poke: j/k

BG, maybe you should expand where you might be willing to move to. B'ham is not the IT Mecca that other metro areas are. There are many other areas that pay more and also have more jobs available and are very nice places to live and work.

I would have no idea if those are regional or national salaries. I just read the article and thought it was interesting, so I posted. I would assume it might be regional for a region that probably does not include the South. But I could be entirely wrong about that assumption.

Tigermike...i was really just echoing the data found in what you posted. It is consistent with other salary reporting. I know id be making around 85-90 in NYC...so i guess that skews the numbers greatly. But I would have to argue with you on bham not being good for IT jobs. Its actually a pretty good market for its size compared to other cities. In the south(excluding florida), i think its only second to atlanta. Memphis and New Orleans are both service industry towns. Nashville is decent, but Bham benefits from all the IT jobs that are tied in with the health industry. But because cost of living is so low for a big city...we dont get massive salaries. Im actually okay with that. Id rather have the money i make here than double that in New York. Still goes farther.

Man you need to send me an application!

No way dude, you'd never get any work done - you spend way too much time on internet forums ;)

:roflol:

120096[/snapback]

HAHAHA :big::big::big::big::roflol::roflol::roflol:

Man you need to send me an application!

No way dude, you'd never get any work done - you spend way too much time on internet forums ;)

:roflol:

120096[/snapback]

touche

Yeah, besides BS, java is for Auburn dorks. biggrin.gif

Yeah you guys develop in java while sitting around optimizing it for Firefox on a linux platform! :puke:

:):D

Yeah you guys develop in java while sitting around optimizing it for Firefox on a linux platform!  :puke:

No offense BG, but this should go down as "Nerdiest Quote of the Year"!

Yes, I am showing my ignorance for all that is computer software. Or at least that's what I think you guys are talking about...

Yeah you guys develop in java while sitting around optimizing it for Firefox on a linux platform!  :puke:

No offense BG, but this should go down as "Nerdiest Quote of the Year"!

Yes, I am showing my ignorance for all that is computer software. Or at least that's what I think you guys are talking about...

120184[/snapback]

Uh oh...well id better cover myself...I can bench over 250 pounds. :D

So i do get outside of the house every once in a while...oh and i dont live in my moms basement....i swear.

So i do get outside of the house every once in a while...oh and i dont live in my moms basement....i swear.

120186[/snapback]

When did you move? :big::wavey:

Archived