Dayton Game

jwmboom7

Unfortunately I was close on my 70-55 prediction, however in my mind I had us down by more and closing with a mini run. My feeble brain has no answers. Guess that's why Barbee is getting paid a mil

I didn't watch the game. Looking at the box score one would think Auburn didn't play all that bad. Auburn outscored Dayton from the field. 3 pointers were even. Auburn had 2 more assists and 3 less turnovers. Dayton had more rebounds. The difference was the free throw line. They outscored Auburn by 14 at the charityy stripe.

AU made a run at them late in the game but it was basically done by then. Shooting when it really mattered was not that good. Dayton did not press much and fewer TOs while I was watching at least.

Rebounding is killing us. For the first time in a long time we match up physically but are out rebounded. ADT may have to start over Chubb who isn't getting the boards we need. Adamu and ADT up front may be the answer to that issue. And Price can't find his shot yet from the point. Hate to sit Payne, but that may be the best thing.

Rebounding is killing us. For the first time in a long time we match up physically but are out rebounded. ADT may have to start over Chubb who isn't getting the boards we need. Adamu and ADT up front may be the answer to that issue. And Price can't find his shot yet from the point. Hate to sit Payne, but that may be the best thing.

I really hate to see that these two have underperformed. I really thought we would not get beat on the boards many times. I really thought Chubb could be solid this year (and he still can) and that our shooting would have been a plus for the team. What worries me the most about Chubb has been the fouls. He seems to be making mistakes on defense and being out of position on some rebounds that wouldn't be expected of a seasoned upperclassman. really hope our guys can turn it around before SEC play starts.

i have been wondering about the rebounds also. we not have 2 6-11 guys! how can we be getting beat on the boards. i remember dennis rodman and charles barkley both reference their success on the boards - those guys are not short, but they were never the biggest on the court either - however, they were both rebounding machines! it is all about attitude. guys have to WANT to rebound. they want to be freaking mental/psychotic about it. our guys are not.

guys like shaq, adamu and payne can be because they have size to go along with athleticism. ADT is more athletic than chubb, but chubb has size. i dont proclaim to be a basketball guy, but i have wondered if our big men (who are doing just ok on the boards) are missing on some of the long rebounds due to so many outside shots. dayton had more inside play than the previous games, so i am a little disappointed. chubb had 5 in 28 minutes and ADT had 0 in 8 minutes. don't know why ADT played so little. this seemed like an athletes game and he would have been used more.

so that being said, i think our 4's and 3's need to concentrate on rebounding a little more. payne -4, shaq - 2, price - 3, adamu - 5. none of that is horrible relative to the minutes played, but still needs to be better.

it is funny, when you only look at the box score, it looks as though the game was not as lopsided as it felt watching it. they beat us by going to the foul line vastly more than us. 19 more FT. we only had 5 more fouls than them!?!?!

all the stats are reasonablly close. they were slightly better from the field. slightly better rebounding. we turned the ball over less and had more assists. they only had 1 more offensive board. but we could have beat them there.

i guess this is an example of a game where the little things matter. a few extra boards here and there. a few less fouls here and there ... voila, it is a close game or a win. i absolutely agree with barbee that our guys play without that little extra something that can put you over the top of other teams such as dayton. those are the kind of games we have to start to win. i personally believe that extra step is between the ears of the players ... a winning/doggedly determined personality. i think if they young guys realized how close they can be to being a pretty decent team, they would step up their play and push or take over the starters roles.

I really hate to see that these two have underperformed. I really thought we would not get beat on the boards many times. I really thought Chubb could be solid this year (and he still can) and that our shooting would have been a plus for the team. What worries me the most about Chubb has been the fouls. He seems to be making mistakes on defense and being out of position on some rebounds that wouldn't be expected of a seasoned upperclassman. really hope our guys can turn it around before SEC play starts.

i disagree with you guys regarding payne, although he could have been more productive against dayton. he played the second most minutes on the team and was only moderately productive ... but he gives us that bryant smith-esque multi-talented guy who is going to average nearly a double double for the year. he has a defensive presence and hustle.

chubb needs to step it up. we are playing alot of zone (which barbee has said he doesnt like to play cuz it limits our transition points - i dont understand this but he is a basketball coach and i am sitting on my computer) so chubb should be in better positions, particularly with his size and experience. i think he is simply not nimble/athletic enough. i absolutely love his passion for the team. the guy has worked hard every year and has definitely gotten better - he has my highest respects. that being said - ADT has a higher upside, but he better find it fast. he is only here another year. he allowed an open pass underneath in the zone that you could see coming from a mile away - freshmen kind of mistake - and he is a junior.

there is talent on this team, but they gotta show it. it almost feels as though they are scared to make a mistake. they need to just loosen up and go play high energy ball. We have the bodies to run another team to death on both ends of the court, if we would just do it.

i have been wondering about the rebounds also. we not have 2 6-11 guys! how can we be getting beat on the boards. i remember dennis rodman and charles barkley both reference their success on the boards - those guys are not short, but they were never the biggest on the court either - however, they were both rebounding machines! it is all about attitude. guys have to WANT to rebound. they want to be freaking mental/psychotic about it. our guys are not.

guys like shaq, adamu and payne can be because they have size to go along with athleticism. ADT is more athletic than chubb, but chubb has size. i dont proclaim to be a basketball guy, but i have wondered if our big men (who are doing just ok on the boards) are missing on some of the long rebounds due to so many outside shots. dayton had more inside play than the previous games, so i am a little disappointed. chubb had 5 in 28 minutes and ADT had 0 in 8 minutes. don't know why ADT played so little. this seemed like an athletes game and he would have been used more.

so that being said, i think our 4's and 3's need to concentrate on rebounding a little more. payne -4, shaq - 2, price - 3, adamu - 5. none of that is horrible relative to the minutes played, but still needs to be better.

it is funny, when you only look at the box score, it looks as though the game was not as lopsided as it felt watching it. they beat us by going to the foul line vastly more than us. 19 more FT. we only had 5 more fouls than them!?!?!

all the stats are reasonablly close. they were slightly better from the field. slightly better rebounding. we turned the ball over less and had more assists. they only had 1 more offensive board. but we could have beat them there.

i guess this is an example of a game where the little things matter. a few extra boards here and there. a few less fouls here and there ... voila, it is a close game or a win. i absolutely agree with barbee that our guys play without that little extra something that can put you over the top of other teams such as dayton. those are the kind of games we have to start to win. i personally believe that extra step is between the ears of the players ... a winning/doggedly determined personality. i think if they young guys realized how close they can be to being a pretty decent team, they would step up their play and push or take over the starters roles.

Im glad you posted this. I totally agree that there is a mental/attitude component to rebounding. It takes training to know how to get into position and size to box out, but you cannot be passive. You have to believe you are going to get the ball when it comes off the rim or you will get beat. It takes an agressive type of play to be a great rebounder. Look at rodman or barkley and always see pics of them running out of bounds, diving into the stands for a board. It doesn't have to be that extreme, but if you have skill you can have the mentality to make yourself into a good rebounder.

I also agree that there are little things that can be fixed to keep us in the games. I really hate seeing poor fundamentals, which has plagued AU so far this year. If you watch much ball in March, you see teams like Butler, Murray State, SIU, etc make runs in the big dance because they share the ball, play tight defense, don't make mistakes, play as a team, and HIT FREE THROWS. If our team can step it up on defense without being in foul trouble (a problem so far this year) and hit the free throws they get, then they can be in games that they would otherwise be blown out in. I really hope to see this happen.

i was always fascinated by rodmans play. second to wilt chamberlain, he was in my opinion, the best rebounder of all time. he was only about 6-6 to 6-7. it was all between the ears.

I agree. he had that instinct/attitude you were talking about. All you have to do is watch him on a free throw rebound. He would eye the shot, zone in on where the ball should be, and almost like attack that spot. Even on some of the times he missed a board, he would nearly knock himself or someone out going after it. Definitely could use that intensity teaching some of our guys about rebounding.

If you read Bill Simmons on basketball, you've probably heard reference to the "rebounding gene." I agree that a lot of rebounding is want-to, but some guys just have the rebounding gene. They can read where the ball is going to come off the rim as soon as it's out of the shooter's hand. They can work their body to create space. They have soft hands, etc. Rodman, Chuck, Kevin Love... none of them are the most athletic or the biggest, but all three of those guys have the innate ability to know exactly where and how the ball is coming off the rim. They had the gene.

Apart from those rebounding savants, most people get by on desire and size and fundamentals and reps. The bit I've watched this team, we seem to have more Brook Lopez-type guys (plenty of size but not good rebounders).

Archived