Malzahn the likely replacement

Rednilla

I think Gus is a poor at evaluating and developing talent, I have yet to see him develop a QB that he recruited. In 3-4 years if our current hire fails, Gus will be someone to look at/ BUT only if he recruits and develops his own QB for once. In his few years as OC he has had many "top recruits" fail or leave the team. Starting with Mitch mustain, ending with Kiehl Frazier/Zeke Pike.

Super Cam and the Alpin kid at ASU were great QB's before Malzahn got them. He has always inherited a JR or SR QB. His other QBs have failed, quit, and or were kicked off the team.

IMO I don't think it's clear if he is good or poor at evaluating, recruiting, and developing talent b/c he hasn't been anywhere long enough to make that judgement which is one of my concerns. If he had stayed at Auburn he could've been judged by what KF and Pike did but it didn't happen that way so we really don't know. I think it is safe to say that he can get the most out of the talent that is already there on offense and that's a plus but still too many ?'s for me to be a HC at a place like Auburn. 2 of our biggest issues are discipline on and off the field and development; just have not seen where he could get it done for sure in those areas like other candidates have shown. Just too many ?'s and unknowns on the resume for me.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Gus is a poor at evaluating and developing talent, I have yet to see him develop a QB that he recruited. In 3-4 years if our current hire fails, Gus will be someone to look at/ BUT only if he recruits and develops his own QB for once. In his few years as OC he has had many "top recruits" fail or leave the team. Starting with Mitch mustain, ending with Kiehl Frazier/Zeke Pike.

Super Cam and the Alpin kid at ASU were great QB's before Malzahn got them. He has always inherited a JR or SR QB. His other QBs have failed, quit, and or were kicked off the team.

Its hard to develop a qb when your not there atleast 3 of the 4 years....most qbs show signs come jr year and the great ones by soph/rs fresh year

I agree it can take time, but other coaching candidates don't seem to have problems with developing young QB's. Even their back ups seem more prepared than any of ourQB's have looked, I recall a back up QB coming in the middle of a game, and looked like they knew what they were doing. It wasn't the first or last time a back-up, Fresh - Soph has looked great against us.

Does this not make you a little curious as to what Gus will do the next 2 years with ASU's QB's? I want to see what he does post Alpin before we hire him. I already saw post Cam.

Also, Isn't that one of the knocks against petrino? Gus has only been at one stop more than 3-4 years dating back 15 years or so ago, in high school.

Valid point. I've certainly seen this argument against BP.

[Yeah he sure did a bad job with both Cam and Todd! Especially with all the experience they both had, when Gus had all of one year to devolope them. (Well almost one year)

Less than one year...but with mature experience QB's. Not much time to do any developing you are right. They came mature, and ready to play they were ready to just plug into his rigid system.

Lets see what happens to Malzahn in the next 2-3 years when he is somewhere long enough to build his own QB. We have never seen it.

I do not want to run the experiment at auburn to see if he can do it. There are 2-3 more proven coaches on our list. Proven "developers"

Also, experience should count for head coaches just like it does for QB's. 1 year at HC exp. is not very long to be head coach at Auburn University, one of the founding fathers of the SEC..

JMO

[Yeah he sure did a bad job with both Cam and Todd! Especially with all the experience they both had, when Gus had all of one year to devolope them. (Well almost one year)

Less than one year...but with mature experience QB's. Not much time to do any developing you are right. They came mature, and ready to play they were ready to just plug into his rigid system.

Lets see what happens to Malzahn in the next 2-3 years when he is somewhere long enough to build his own QB. We have never seen it.

I do not want to run the experiment at auburn to see if he can do it. There are 2-3 more proven coaches on our list. Proven "developers"

Also, experience should count for head coaches just like it does for QB's. 1 year at HC exp. is not very long to be head coach at Auburn University, one of the founding fathers of the SEC..

JMO

The #1 can't miss coach, nothing but positive experience winning BCS titles coach, the coach with no off the field issues is just not out there! If we can't get Peterson, Gus is probably the next best option.

JMO

The #1 can't miss coach, nothing but positive experience winning BCS titles coach, the coach with no off the field issues is just not out there! If we can't get Peterson, Gus is probably the next best option.

meant to say Paterson, sorry.

So anyone outthere with any scoop on the rivals story by Jay Tate.

Tate claims Gus stock up, Petrino stock down.

Don't shoot me know, that is what Tate is saying, I am just trying to find out more.

^^^ This is true... Why Malzahn is way down the list, IMO. ^^^

That's completely untrue how do expect to fully develop a guy in a year or 2

Sumlin, Johnny Manziel, red shirt freshman, 3 star...same year as Frazier...hmmmm...

How many johnys have there been in college football? Andrew luck rg3 and even cam didn't really come into their own till jr year...hmm quit trying so hard

How many johnys have there been in college football? Andrew luck rg3 and even cam didn't really come into their own till jr year...hmm quit trying so hard

trying hard!!! first most obvious choice without thinking

Michael Vick RsFr in 1999 only 1 can think of took them to the BCS Natty.

The QB at Oregon is a RFr and 3 star in most ratings....and runs that team like a veteran. That's just the way it is. As for Cam, he rode the bench at UF and played JUCO in a average JUCO league. Some kids have it and some don't.

trying hard!!! first most obvious choice without thinking

:popcorn: Going to get a beer.....feel free to continue.....debate is getting quiet interesting..brb

The QB at Oregon is a RFr and 3 star in most ratings....and runs that team like a veteran. That's just the way it is. As for Cam, he rode the bench at UF and played JUCO in a average JUCO league. Some kids have it and some don't.

That's the point some can't comprehend. ..for every 1 johnny or vick or whoever there's hundreds of guys that take 3 sometimes 4 years to develop

Terrell Pryior did well, Matt Barkley. Tebow won a heisman as a sophomore. there are many more young qb's that were successful as freshman or redshirt freshman sophomores, but i think the majority of us know this..Braxton Miller, btw

Terrell Pryior did well, Matt Barkley. Tebow won a heisman as a sophomore. there are many more young qb's that were successful as freshman or redshirt freshman sophomores, but i think the majority of us know this..Braxton Miller, btw

Mariota (Oregon) and the QB at Stanford are freshman. Although Mariota may be a redshirt freshman. Driskel is also a redshirt freshman isn't he? Also Golsen at ND is a freshman.

How many college football teams are there? How many start feshmen or soph and have gaudy stats....you sound like a bammer with your logic but there's no fixing stupid so carry on making yourself feel better with info that is incorrect

I'm not sure what the debate is about, but these are all QB's that came out of high school the same year as Kiehl :

Braxton Miller - OSU

Johny Manzel - TAMU

Marcus Mariota - Oregon

Brett Hundley - UCLA

Jeff Dryskal - UF

Just a few that were working under new coordinators this season...

How many college football teams are there? How many start feshmen or soph and have gaudy stats....you sound like a bammer with your logic but there's no fixing stupid so carry on making yourself feel better with info that is incorrect

most teams should not have to start a freshman or sophomore if they have recruited and developed properly, but those that are talented and have the talent at hand can make it happen and see the importance. calling me a bammer shows how childish you discuss stuff, furthering by implying i am stupid says more about you. i hope that we both want what is best for Auburn and will support the decision made and give the new coach full confidence in rebuilding the program.

JW Walsh Okie State

Trevon Boykin TCU

And my bad, Golson is a true soph.

Gus's only problem with recruiting and/or developing QBs was there was nothing there and couldn't affort a miss. Plus, he had to have someone who would be ready within a year or two. It was a longshot to begin with and it just didn't happen. To say he didin't get it done is fair but to say he can't do it is unfair.

That's the point some can't comprehend. ..for every 1 johnny or vick or whoever there's hundreds of guys that take 3 sometimes 4 years to develop

I agree most take 3-4 years. That is why I want to see Malzahn do it before we bring him in. We may not have a superstar freshman or sophmore when he gets here. So we would be looking at 2015 years before we see results of what he can really do with a QB could be great, could fail like most of the other QB's he recruited. 3-4 years....That is too long for an experiment at Auburn University. The SEC is changing fast right now. the rich are getting richer. the others are going the other way.

Other candidates have shown they can get QB's ready to play QB in a year or two. including their young back ups. Amazing how some coaches end up with 2-3 deep QB's of special talent (often young) and others only inherit a few older guys with talent.

Gus's only problem with recruiting and/or developing QBs was there was nothing there and couldn't affort a miss. Plus, he had to have someone who would be ready within a year or two. It was a longshot to begin with and it just didn't happen. To say he didin't get it done is fair but to say he can't do it is unfair.

I am not trying to say he can not do it, We do not know if he can do it. I want to see Gus do it before we bring him back to AU. There are other candidates that have proven they can do it at the SEC level. We can not afford a football risk.. I would rather take the PR risk.

I think the fact Gus has worked with a different QB every year he has been coaching tells you he can win with any QB. There is a reason he always has a top offense... It's because he is GOOD. Without Chizik meddling like he did in 2011 he would be just fine.

HIRE GUS MALZAHN!

Archived