Malzahn the likely replacement

Rednilla

Gus is plan C and I see no reason to hire him unless GP, CP, CS, JM, JF and BP turn us down.

How many of those guys are responsible for bringing a NC to Auburn? How many of them are responsible for bringing a NC anywhere? You're not thinking.

Is he bringing Cam with him as well?

You must not have watched all of the games in 2010. Cam didn't have the best of games the first two or the last two games of the season. Think about it. There is NO way we win it all without Gus. NO WAY. And again, he did it with Chizik helping out.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

people see shotgun and assume its all the same thing

we need an up and coming coach with a history of WINNING.

theres a reason most of the coaches on our list arent at their "destination" jobs and its because some of them just arent that good(Patterson, Fisher, Petrino even Smart)

Gus is fresh, new, and innovative

people would rather settle for a guy who will have us getting 8 wins every year but handled by our rivals and never competing for a championship, no thanks

I think your forgetting the golden rule..........never go full retard. smh

im right though

Petrino has 0 wins against Saban, a conference USA championship, and a Big East Championship 4-3 in bowls and fell apart regularly to good competition

Patterson with a team that is ALL his own went 7-5 in a real conference despite playing "well" for years, always on coaching searches and never hired(would be his agent is Sexton)

Jimbo helped coach an underachieving team for years under Bowden, is still underachieving. His only bright spot is a title with Les Miles...lateral move from Gene imo

Does anyone really think that defense is Smart's :homer: thats full retard if you ask me

like i said, all of them are overrated, and of those four id rather go Smart, i already know what im getting with the others

Malzahn is the only one whos unknown...but from his resume..hes competed and won...everywhere.

Gus is plan C and I see no reason to hire him unless GP, CP, CS, JM, JF and BP turn us down.

How many of those guys are responsible for bringing a NC to Auburn? How many of them are responsible for bringing a NC anywhere? You're not thinking.

You must not have watched all of the games in 2010. Cam didn't have the best of games the first two or the last two games of the season. Think about it. There is NO way we win it all without Gus. NO WAY. And again, he did it with Chizik helping out.

you know its sad when "Auburn" fans use Bammer logic

its a shame they are protected here :-\

Our defense is also awesome! Glad we got rid of that Malzahn guy! *sigh*

How did Roof's D look this year when his D wasn't on the field every other 2 minutes?

I'm assuming CTR wasn't running the Tampa 2 this year. My prejudice against the Tampa 2 tells me that has more to do with than trying to work with a HUNH offense.

His defenses at Minn. looked nothing like they did at AU-because the D at AU was Chizik's not roofs. Roof was/is known for an aggressive, blitzing D(just like other former Gtech coaches) , which actually works vs the spread.

I agree with this. Giving a spread team time is asking for trouble. You've got to make up your mind that you accept the trade off of 3 and outs and turnovers to giving up the big play. Bend but don't break against the spread is the death of a thousand cuts.

A NC is not the only or even close to being a top priority when it comes down to making this choice. A complete coach who does all things well will put us in position every year to be in the 4 team playoff in a couple years. The names above I believe have that pedigree more so than Gus in experience and recruiting.

Malzahn is the only one whos unknown...but from his resume..hes competed and won...everywhere.

So has everybody else on the list. The difference being that most of Malzahn's winning was done at the high school level.

A NC is not the only or even close to being a top priority when it comes down to making this choice. A complete coach who does all things well will put us in position every year to be in the 4 team playoff in a couple years. The names above I believe have that pedigree more so than Gus in experience and recruiting.

so what you want is:

beating all of our OOC foes, the Mississippi schools and occasionally Arkansas

to lose to Alabama and Georgia but not as bad

being invited every year to the chicken sandwich bowl

So has everybody else on the list. The difference being that most of Malzahn's winning was done at the high school level.

thats really cute, but he has experience at 4 different colleges at this point

and won at all 4.

EDIT and ironically, all the coaches he was under are fired or left due to not living up the expectations he created

The HUNH is not necessarily a spread offense. You can run a wishbone from a HUNH. HUNH is just that, a Hurry Up No Huddle Offense. It has nothing to do with the formation. The confusion comes in because many spread offenses also do HUNH.

Thank you sir. Some folks here think they know football..they don't. Perhaps reading some facts will help.

Well he'll most likely not bring Chizik. :Sing:

Excellent humor!

The HUNH is not necessarily a spread offense. You can run a wishbone from a HUNH. HUNH is just that, a Hurry Up No Huddle Offense. It has nothing to do with the formation. The confusion comes in because many spread offenses also do HUNH.

Thank you sir. Some folks here think they know football..they don't. Perhaps reading some facts will help.

its apparent that as much as people harp about ESPN hating auburn etc, its clear where they learn the game from

thanks Jesse Palmer

so what you want is:

How you got that from what I said.... (4 team playoff) makes me not regret what I said earlier.

so what you want is:

How you got that from what I said.... (4 team playoff) makes me not regret what I said earlier.

how did i get it? you want bobby petrino

what else did you need to say? you want to settle for beating who we should and losing to who we should

thanks for your opinion

Like I said guys I was one of Gus biggest fans while he was here and one of the few telling people be careful what you wish for when they were saying they were glad to get back to "smashmouth football" as he was walking out the door. However, now is not the time to be bringing Gus back. This is probably the biggest HCing hire in my lifetime. Noway we should (and I say this with all due respect to Gus) be taking a B list guy and making him our #1 target.

so what you want is:

what else did you need to say? you want to settle for beating who we should and losing to who we should

thanks for your opinion

I have said that GP was my fave but we would end up with BP. I defend BP because it's not a bad hire we could do worse.....

I can understand having other coaches higher on your 'List.' (I do, after all.)

I'm just bemused by some of the bizarre arguments for why Malzahn shouldn't be hired.

The NCAA story will scare some candidates off. It always depends on the money. I do not believe Mrs Malzahn will ever agree to return to AU.

Like Meyer was scared off at THE ohio state ?

<_<

I doubt any recycled story of a minor, at most, ncaa issue will scare off any legitimate contenders.

Put keep those posts comin'. Soon you'll hit triple digits.

:laugh:

so what you want is:

thanks for your opinion

I have said the GP was my fave but we would end up with BP. I defend BP because it's not a bad hire we could do worse.....

That's the basis? That's how you get a job? Did you really think that through before you typed it? "It's not a bad hire, we could do worse"? I guess we are at CHECKMATE! Well done!

The NCAA story will scare some candidates off. It always depends on the money. I do not believe Mrs Malzahn will ever agree to return to AU.

Like Meyer was scared off at THE ohio state ?

<_<

I doubt any recycled story of a minor, at most, ncaa issue will scare off any legitimate contenders.

Put keep those posts comin'. Soon you'll hit triple digits.

:laugh:

Don't you know? Meyer is an average coach. It was all Tebow.

Haven't you heard, a bammer told me we are about to get hammered?

Extreme sarcasm intended.

I am new on this site but i have never been shy about giving my opnion. Something a lot of people are missing is not who we get but does the person really wants to come to Auburn as the football coach. Does he love Auburn or is this just a job and he is just passing through. Some of the names mention will not serious consider Auburn. I don't know about Malzahn but he did very well when he was here and i think he could do better without being held back by a head coach who was never completly sold on his type of offence. Let's just hope the search commettee does it's job well and we get the best coach we can. WAR EAGLE!!!

I am so glad you people that do get it don have jack to do with hiring our next coach.

Malzahn

Auburn with hurt arm Chris Todd sets records and goes 8-5, almost knocking off bama at home.

Auburn gets a good QB and wins a NC

Epic number of seniors depart, pundits say we will only win 4 games and we go 8-5

Malzahn leaves, we go 3-9. Meanwhile, Malzahn wins the sunbelt in a shutout with stout O and D.

I can understand having other coaches higher on your 'List.' (I do, after all.)

I'm just bemused by some of the bizarre arguments for why Malzahn shouldn't be hired.

I agree......how is Malzahn a "B" list coach? Coaching X's and O's is one thing that he obviously does well, and 18 to 22 year old men are 18 to 22 year old men wherever you go.......... he seems to have a huge upside and if he brings in a strong defensive mind...........I am thinking we can bring championships to Auburn. Regardless of who we bring in, they must have a vision, drive and usually something very unique. I love his aggressive nature...........before every first half we went full guns to score somehow......and we definitely made adjustments at each half and came out better in the second halves of games.

I also like Jimbo Fisher, but there is something about Malzahn that tells me we can win it all again and excite recruits.......just a gut feeling.

If there are any philosophy students out there, you should do your dissertation citing this thread as a cyber example of Plato's Allegory of The Cave. The similarities are mind boggling.

Having a spread offense that works and a good defense is not logically possible. The only way it would work is if you slow down your offense, and that defeats the whole purpose of having a spread offense.

Football is about execution, blocking and tackling....do that well and you win games.....regardless of philosophy, the team that does that best succeeds.

While true, the HUNH will cause for a poorer D performance, the math says so. I don't agree with the people saying a spread team hurts the D. However, HUNH teams usually do not control time of possession. This means your D is on the field for not only more game clock, but also more plays. More plays you have to defend means poorer stats. That doesn't mean you can't win games. 2010 proves that a HUNH team can win a NC. In fact, two HUNH teams played for the NC in 2010. I just don't ever see a HUNH team have a "stout" D.

The opposing offense tires just as much. It is still about your conditioning, depth, and management thereof. The strength coaches who worry more about max outs than about what players can lift in high quantity sets are the ones who will get worn out by spreads.

Archived