Malzahn the likely replacement

Rednilla

How quickly people forget that the malzahn offense is a power running offense ran out of unconventional formations.....you get him as hc and no one will tell him to slow it down...then he can bring in a guy like rocker back and get the ball rolling again

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How quickly people forget that the malzahn offense is a power running offense ran out of unconventional formations.....you get him as hc and no one will tell him to slow it down...then he can bring in a guy like rocker back and get the ball rolling again

This is when some "expert" will tell you Gus runs a gimmick offense and that everyone has figured him out. :)

People here assume Gus would be weak or docile with no rationale basis for that belief.

would be no different than those who are assuming he would run a tough ship i guess??!! nobody really knows. which is more of a concern to me.

He ran a tight ship on the discipline he imposed on his players in terms of practicing his scheme. Gus is a structured guy.

And your assumption logic works in other ways...

1. Some assume Petrino can keep his pants zipped.

2. Some assume Patterson can win big in a major conference (he didn't this year)

3. Some assume Jimbo can stop choking and losing games he shouldn't

4. Some assume Jeff Fisher, who has had winning seasons only 1/3 of his career as an NFL head coach, would win more at Auburn.

Isn't this fun?

I know Gus knows almost the entire roster of players at Auburn and many of the prospects.

I know he has been very successful with his scheming and play calling

I know he is a workaholic

I know that Arkansas State in Year 1 under Gus didn't win the Sun Belt due merely to Hugh Frieze's one year tenure as Gus's Red Wolf predecessor

Some assume that since Gus was awesome with Cam as his QB then he could be with just any QB.

Some forget what his record was against LSU, Arkansas, Alabama and Georgia.

Some forget that QB is our weakest position and that Gus was in charge of that position. If you & I can figure out that Frazier cannot hit an open man. If you and I can figure out that Mosley isn't an SEC QB then where were the recruits to replace them. The QB he picked is a TE for Louisville. I believe his failure at this position is his biggest black mark. His QB's were fine against lower tier SEC competition but against the big boys? Not unless he had Cam.

No other team in the SEC is even considering Petrino. Do you think Dr Gogue will, I think not. Make that any major college considering him.

Interesting point. If he is too tainted for Kentucky, Tennessee, NC State, and the lower tier programs out there, why would we hire him?

I am glad sanity is now becoming the norm on this one... Last week was a long ride

KF should have redshirted last season....he was not mentally or physically ready to play....I believe if he was allowed to play in GM true offense he would be far better and more confident......this season was like freshman ball all again for him....

KF is as athletic as any QB in the SEC, however when you miss wide open receivers ( I mean WIDE OPEN) I don't think you can blame the system. Under Gus's system KF wasn't allowed to throw at all because he was so bad at it. That was the same system that KF ran for 4 high school years. The transition should have been smoother for him. Let's not forget that SL may have been terrible at play calling but supposedly a QB coach guru. The real question is where do we go? Wallace showed some flash but I think we need more competition at that position.

I have a few questions about GM's scheme this season. Did anyone see an Arkansas State game? Does Gus still use the meerkat play-calling system, along with the pics on the flip boards? Does he call the plays or allow his OC to do it?

KF is as athletic as any QB in the SEC, however when you miss wide open receivers ( I mean WIDE OPEN) I don't think you can blame the system. Under Gus's system KF wasn't allowed to throw at all because he was so bad at it. That was the same system that KF ran for 4 high school years. The transition should have been smoother for him. Let's not forget that SL may have been terrible at play calling but supposedly a QB coach guru. The real question is where do we go? Wallace showed some flash but I think we need more competition at that position.

Whomever we hire will be forced to go the Juco route and find a qb.

People here assume Gus would be weak or docile with no rationale basis for that belief.

would be no different than those who are assuming he would run a tough ship i guess??!! nobody really knows. which is more of a concern to me.

He ran a tight ship on the discipline he imposed on his players in terms of practicing his scheme. Gus is a structured guy.

2. Some assume Patterson can win big in a major conference (he didn't this year)

4. Some assume Jeff Fisher, who has had winning seasons only 1/3 of his career as an NFL head coach, would win more at Auburn.

Isn't this fun?

I know Gus knows almost the entire roster of players at Auburn and many of the prospects.

I know that Arkansas State in Year 1 under Gus didn't win the Sun Belt due merely to Hugh Frieze's one year tenure as Gus's Red Wolf predecessor

Some assume that since Gus was awesome with Cam as his QB then he could be with just any QB.

Some forget that QB is our weakest position and that Gus was in charge of that position. If you & I can figure out that Frazier cannot hit an open man. If you and I can figure out that Mosley isn't an SEC QB then where were the recruits to replace them. The QB he picked is a TE for Louisville. I believe his failure at this position is his biggest black mark. His QB's were fine against lower tier SEC competition but against the big boys? Not unless he had Cam.

Yes I am sure that Cam was running practice all week! I am sure it was Cam calling the plays at the line of scrimmage every down. It was Cam that took a freshmen runing back and made him break Bo's record and become the BCS MVP! It was Cam that made Cody Burns into a good SEC receiver! It was Cam that made a young Lutz into one of the best TE's in the SEC!

Plus, wasn't 2010 Cams first year as a starter in the toughest conf in Football? Dyer's first year as a starter? Lutz, Cody etc...

If Gus isn’t your favorite, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But to say Gus is anything less than a flat-out outstanding offensive mind and coach is absurd!

I honestly can’t understand how people think Gus wasn’t/isn’t any good without Cam. The man has won where-ever he has been, with whatever talent he had/has.

Isn't this fun?

I'm not going to blame Gus on this issue. We thought we had struck gold when KF signed ...and Pike too. And that quarterback guru CSL had a year to work with our QBs and what???? Sometimes the HS success just does not translate to big time college and some 3* kids surprise you. Gus ran a good offense with Chris Todd who had arm problems but at least knew how to play the game. And...for the record, Cam only had a few plays of major college football before he got to AU so seems that maybe Gus should get the credit for what he was able to do.

BUT...I don't see Gus leaving ASt after only one year...but I guess you never can tell.

I think Gus is a very good OC when he is allowed to run his O the way he wants to run it. I am not sure how good of a HC he is.

wde

Isn't this fun?

I'm not going to blame Gus on this issue. We thought we had struck gold when KF signed ...and Pike too. And that quarterback guru CSL had a year to work with our QBs and what???? Sometimes the HS success just does not translate to big time college and some 3* kids surprise you. Gus ran a good offense with Chris Todd who had arm problems but at least knew how to play the game. And...for the record, Cam only had a few plays of major college football before he got to AU so seems that maybe Gus should get the credit for what he was able to do.

BUT...I don't see Gus leaving ASt after only one year...but I guess you never can tell.

Agree 100%! Would love to have him, because he may very well be the next Spurrier. By the way Gus's record against Spurrier...3-0!

I think Gus is a very good OC when he is allowed to run his O the way he wants to run it. I am not sure how good of a HC he is.

wde

I think this is the consensus among those of us that would question a Gus hire. I believe he is an innovative offensive mind and is an excellent OC also.

wde

I think this is the consensus among those of us that would question a Gus hire. I believe he is an innovative offensive mind and is an excellent OC also.

Thanks for the honest common sense. Refreshing!

Isn't this fun?

Just curious but How can he not be blamed some for KF? He hand-picked and recruited him for years. KF ran Gus's system in high school.

Isn't this fun?

Just curious but How can he not be blamed some for KF? He hand-picked and recruited him for years. KF ran Gus's system in high school.

valid point :popcorn:

Malzahn was gone before Kiehl Frazier entered high school. He may have been the QB in something like Malzahn's offense, but it was not Malzahn's offense. As for Malzahn sharing some blame, there is some substance to that. I was never convinced that he was the greatest QB coach, thought there are mixed results. He did good things with the QB's at Tulsa, gave Chris Todd a record-breaking season, and produced a Heisman. His effect on Cam Newton is, of course, debatable. However, he was indeed his QB coach. From what I can tell, he has continued as the QB coach at Arky State.

Perhaps Malzahn coached Frazier wrong, perhaps the transition messed with his head, perhaps he messed with his own head, and perhaps he never really had "it" to begin with. We will never really know.

It will be interesting to watch Gus next year at Arky State, if he stays. Ryan Aplin was a 3 year starter before Gus and his numbers have improved fairly impressively this year. Now I don't know who will be their QB next year but the only other QB to throw a pass this year is a 5'11" 160lb freshman.

Malzahn was gone before Kiehl Frazier entered high school. He may have been the QB in something like Malzahn's offense, but it was not Malzahn's offense. As for Malzahn sharing some blame, there is some substance to that. I was never convinced that he was the greatest QB coach, thought there are mixed results. He did good things with the QB's at Tulsa, gave Chris Todd a record-breaking season, and produced a Heisman. His effect on Cam Newton is, of course, debatable. However, he was indeed his QB coach. From what I can tell, he has continued as the QB coach at Arky State.

Perhaps Malzahn coached Frazier wrong, perhaps the transition messed with his head, perhaps he messed with his own head, and perhaps he never really had "it" to begin with. We will never really know.

Sorry i don't get it. People say he is this great OC mind but then go make excuses. It may not have been Gus's offense play for play but it was basically the same offense....that's why KF came to Auburn b/c of Gus and the offense. It was no secret that KF was going to follow Gus wherever he went. He has known KF since like the 7th grade. I don't put KF's bad season all on him nor SL. When SL did call good plays they were not executed well by KF. IMO if KF was the QB he was proclaimed he would've showed some signs of it regardless of what system he was in. There would've been flashes of his "great" ability. Not saying he is a bust but this is the guy that Gus highly indorsed and basically put all of Auburn's eggs in one basket with KF and he looks scared out of his mind on the field.

Not saying that KF doesn't have the ability to do some good things but if Gus is getting credit for Cam and he only had him for one year...he gets some of the blame for KF too b/c he had a year to develop him too. I would just like to see more from Gus to become a believer. 2 and 3 year stints at a school doesn't make me a believer b/c as a HC he is going to be responsible to the entire program and I'm just not a believer he is a great developer and recruiter and many portray him to be without being somewhere long enough to truely put his stamp on a program.

It will be interesting to watch Gus next year at Arky State, if he stays. Ryan Aplin was a 3 year starter before Gus and his numbers have improved fairly impressively this year. Now I don't know who will be their QB next year but the only other QB to throw a pass this year is a 5'11" 160lb freshman.

Agree. I do think Gus is a good OC I would just like to see him actually fully recruit and develop a team before handing him the keys to a school like Auburn. There is alot more involved in being a HC than running an offense. True he can go out and get a great DC like Rocker or keep BVG but the HC is the guy that sets the tone for the team and how it is going to be ran and what the expectations are going to be. Our guys have clearly gotten away with alot the last four years and have been coddled. I'm just not sure if Gus could be that hard nosed disciplinary that is sorely needed with our team right now.

We are mentally and physically not tough. I want the next coach to test those guys in those areas to the max. The ones that are not tough or don't want to go along with the new program b/c they previously got special treatment will quit. I don't want those guys. It's time to weed out not only coaches but players too!

People not every 5* guy pans out....remember this guy named kodi burns...hell some guys don't have outstanding #s in college and end up being pro bowl qbs in the nfl....sometimes its a crap shoot

Archived