Malzahn the likely replacement

Rednilla

People not every 5* guy pans out....remember this guy named kodi burns...hell some guys don't have outstanding #s in college and end up being pro bowl qbs in the nfl....sometimes its a crap shoot

I totally agree. However, many of CGM defenders seem to gloss over obvious holes in his resume. The biggest in my opinion is our current mess at QB.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cass Sherdian just tweeted that he thinks Malzahn has turned AU down.

"Cass Sheridan@cass_sheridan

pretty sure Malzahn might have said not interested.."

Not sure what makes him say this however.

I knew it! I wondered where those things came from.....lol

Sorry i don't get it. People say he is this great OC mind but then go make excuses. It may not have been Gus's offense play for play but it was basically the same offense....that's why KF came to Auburn b/c of Gus and the offense. It was no secret that KF was going to follow Gus wherever he went. He has known KF since like the 7th grade. I don't put KF's bad season all on him nor SL. When SL did call good plays they were not executed well by KF. IMO if KF was the QB he was proclaimed he would've showed some signs of it regardless of what system he was in. There would've been flashes of his "great" ability. Not saying he is a bust but this is the guy that Gus highly indorsed and basically put all of Auburn's eggs in one basket with KF and he looks scared out of his mind on the field.

Not saying that KF doesn't have the ability to do some good things but if Gus is getting credit for Cam and he only had him for one year...he gets some of the blame for KF too b/c he had a year to develop him too. I would just like to see more from Gus to become a believer. 2 and 3 year stints at a school doesn't make me a believer b/c as a HC he is going to be responsible to the entire program and I'm just not a believer he is a great developer and recruiter and many portray him to be without being somewhere long enough to truely put his stamp on a program.

He is a great OC mind, and I do not see how anyone can reasonably claim otherwise. In two of his three years here, offensive records were set. A national championship was won, primarily due to offense. A Heisman Trophy was won. The other year? It is widely acknowledged that the head coach exercised his rights as the boss, and let the wind out of his sails. Given that circumstance, I would expect a result no different than what we saw in 2011. Perhaps Malzahn saw 2012 coming, and 2011 was simply a preview of it. I doubt that a physically and mentally weak team is a trademark of his. Of course, you are free to disbelieve that. I know basically nothing about Tulsa, so I cannot make any statements about his time there, aside from that the numbers were good. I like what I have seen of his short stint at Arky State.

Unless Malzahn had final authority on personnel matters, our situation at QB is certainly not entirely his fault. More importantly, our situation at QB would have likely panned out differently with Malzahn here, instead of completely changing how the guy is supposed to play the position. I want to see Kiehl Frazier play under Malzahn before I blame Malzahn for Frazier being ineffective in a pro-style offense. Ultimately, I suspect that Frazier's play had more to do with what (and who) led the team to 3-9.

That said, Malzahn is not my favorite to take the job. As I have said elsewhere, I expected List A to contain names like Patterson, Petersen, Stoops, Fisher, etc. List B should be Petrino and possibly Malzahn. List C is the coordinators and up-and-coming fellas.

"Kin_Corn_Karn@Kin_Corn_Karn

wrights_mill_road owns a stable of white unicorns.."

^ see how that works

https://twitter.com/...660770463842305

you don't see how that works

Yeah, I have no idea where Cass gets his info or how reliable he is. Hes just another voice among many who claim to know whats going on.

I just posted the link in case you were inferring that I made it up.

"Kin_Corn_Karn@Kin_Corn_Karn

wrights_mill_road owns a stable of white unicorns.."

^ see how that works

https://twitter.com/...660770463842305

you don't see how that works

Yeah, I have no idea where Cass gets his info or how reliable he is. Hes just another voice among many who claim to know whats going on.

I just posted the link in case you were inferring that I made it up.

no, we are on the same page :-)

People not every 5* guy pans out....remember this guy named kodi burns...hell some guys don't have outstanding #s in college and end up being pro bowl qbs in the nfl....sometimes its a crap shoot

I totally agree. However, many of CGM defenders seem to gloss over obvious holes in his resume. The biggest in my opinion is our current mess at QB.

This is my point^^^. By no means do I dislike the man. If all of the major HC candidtes don't come through I wouldn't be that upset with Gus but certainly think we should try to do better. I think he is a good coach but not some offensive genius so many wish to proclaim him as. It just seems that his resume is not being weighed the same way as other HC candidates b/c he was apart of the NC team. I get that he would probably be more favored by Auburn fans vs. other candidates b/c he has been at Auburn but just like I think one player can't get all the credit for 2010....nor should a coach get all the credit and the Chiz get all the blame for this year. Chiz was the HC of that NC team and all final calls regarding to kick a FG, or go for it on fourth down...etc. went through him so saying Gus won all those games is just not rational. Can't give him all the credit for 2010 and provide excuses for KF's lack of development.

Every coach that has been named as a candidate has holes in their resume. It just seems that many are blineded by Gus's and don't think logical when evaluating his complete resume.

Lee Ziemba tweets:

Lee Ziemba@Ziemba73

@robpate I got pulled out of huddle for saying a "dirty" word and had to bear crawl around the field until practice was over by CGM

This is why Gus scares me. Well, it's one reason.

Can't possibly be true... There was absolutely no discipline administered by the coaches, or so we have been told...

Can't be both ways...

Or is it that Gus actually does understand discipline if allowed to do his job.

Sorry i don't get it. People say he is this great OC mind but then go make excuses. It may not have been Gus's offense play for play but it was basically the same offense....that's why KF came to Auburn b/c of Gus and the offense. It was no secret that KF was going to follow Gus wherever he went. He has known KF since like the 7th grade. I don't put KF's bad season all on him nor SL. When SL did call good plays they were not executed well by KF. IMO if KF was the QB he was proclaimed he would've showed some signs of it regardless of what system he was in. There would've been flashes of his "great" ability. Not saying he is a bust but this is the guy that Gus highly indorsed and basically put all of Auburn's eggs in one basket with KF and he looks scared out of his mind on the field.

Not saying that KF doesn't have the ability to do some good things but if Gus is getting credit for Cam and he only had him for one year...he gets some of the blame for KF too b/c he had a year to develop him too. I would just like to see more from Gus to become a believer. 2 and 3 year stints at a school doesn't make me a believer b/c as a HC he is going to be responsible to the entire program and I'm just not a believer he is a great developer and recruiter and many portray him to be without being somewhere long enough to truely put his stamp on a program.

He is a great OC mind, and I do not see how anyone can reasonably claim otherwise. In two of his three years here, offensive records were set. A national championship was won, primarily due to offense. A Heisman Trophy was won. The other year? It is widely acknowledged that the head coach exercised his rights as the boss, and let the wind out of his sails. Given that circumstance, I would expect a result no different than what we saw in 2011. Perhaps Malzahn saw 2012 coming, and 2011 was simply a preview of it. I doubt that a physically and mentally weak team is a trademark of his. Of course, you are free to disbelieve that. I know basically nothing about Tulsa, so I cannot make any statements about his time there, aside from that the numbers were good. I like what I have seen of his short stint at Arky State.

Unless Malzahn had final authority on personnel matters, our situation at QB is certainly not entirely his fault. More importantly, our situation at QB would have likely panned out differently with Malzahn here, instead of completely changing how the guy is supposed to play the position. I want to see Kiehl Frazier play under Malzahn before I blame Malzahn for Frazier being ineffective in a pro-style offense. Ultimately, I suspect that Frazier's play had more to do with what (and who) led the team to 3-9.

That said, Malzahn is not my favorite to take the job. As I have said elsewhere, I expected List A to contain names like Patterson, Petersen, Stoops, Fisher, etc. List B should be Petrino and possibly Malzahn. List C is the coordinators and up-and-coming fellas.

Sorry I don't see the great OC mind when it comes to games he had against LSU, BAMA, ARKY, & UGA. Not that he was terrible against those teams but I don't see anything that would WOW me. He can easily come to Auburn and go 8-4 but if we're still losing to those teams and add in TX A&M...we're going to be doing this all over again in 3 or 4 years. Can he do it...Maybe but nothing about his offense makes me feel that confident to say YES we should get him b/c we could at best split games with the top 4 SEC schools. 3 of those teams have very good defenses from year to year and can make good adjustments against any offense. I don't care to use trickery and gimmicks going up against those teams. I don't think it will win out for the most part. His numbers can sometimes be deceiving when you go up against a bad team and drop 500+ yards and a ton of TDs.

I think Gus is a poor at evaluating and developing talent, I have yet to see him develop a QB that he recruited. In 3-4 years if our current hire fails, Gus will be someone to look at/ BUT only if he recruits and develops his own QB for once. In his few years as OC he has had many "top recruits" fail or leave the team. Starting with Mitch mustain, ending with Kiehl Frazier/Zeke Pike.

Super Cam and the Alpin kid at ASU were great QB's before Malzahn got them. He has always inherited a JR or SR QB. His other QBs have failed, quit, and or were kicked off the team.

I think Gus is a poor at evaluating and developing talent, I have yet to see him develop a QB that he recruited. In 3-4 years if our current hire fails, Gus will be someone to look at/ BUT only if he recruits and develops his own QB for once. In his few years as OC he has had many "top recruits" fail or leave the team. Starting with Mitch mustain, ending with Kiehl Frazier/Zeke Pike.

Super Cam and the Alpin kid at ASU were great QB's before Malzahn got them. He has always inherited a JR or SR QB. His other QBs have failed, quit, and or were kicked off the team.

Its hard to develop a qb when your not there atleast 3 of the 4 years....most qbs show signs come jr year and the great ones by soph/rs fresh year

^^^ This is true... Why Malzahn is way down the list, IMO. ^^^

^^^ This is true... Why Malzahn is way down the list, IMO. ^^^

That's completely untrue how do expect to fully develop a guy in a year or 2

Its hard to develop a qb when your not there atleast 3 of the 4 years....most qbs show signs come jr year and the great ones by soph/rs fresh year

I agree it can take time, but other coaching candidates don't seem to have problems with developing young QB's. Even their back ups seem more prepared than any of ourQB's have looked, I recall a back up QB coming in the middle of a game, and looked like they knew what they were doing. It wasn't the first or last time a back-up, Fresh - Soph has looked great against us.

Does this not make you a little curious as to what Gus will do the next 2 years with ASU's QB's? I want to see what he does post Alpin before we hire him. I already saw post Cam.

Also, Isn't that one of the knocks against petrino? Gus has only been at one stop more than 3-4 years dating back 15 years or so ago, in high school.

I hope it's OK, I posted this on another board as well, just to see if anyone had some inside scoop.

Rivals is reporting Gus is on the rise and Petrino has fallen (kind of like his pants)

I was wondering if anyone had any scoop on this. Only the free stuff is below:

http://auburn.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1429902&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

Remember how trotter looked when he backed up cam....solid o-line...no harness on what gus wanted to do...fast forward 1 yr with trotter....bad o line and gus' play calling held back

The developmental problems on this team are at every single position. The problem may be something bigger than the position coaches. I think Gus left and took a huge paycut for a reason and that reason was not because he had always dreamed of being the HC at Arky State.

I agree it can take time, but other coaching candidates don't seem to have problems with developing young QB's. Even their back ups seem more prepared than any of ourQB's have looked, I recall a back up QB coming in the middle of a game, and looked like they knew what they were doing. It wasn't the first or last time a back-up, Fresh - Soph has looked great against us.

Does this not make you a little curious as to what Gus will do the next 2 years with ASU's QB's? I want to see what he does post Alpin before we hire him. I already saw post Cam.

Also, Isn't that one of the knocks against petrino? Gus has only been at one stop more than 3-4 years dating back 15 years or so ago, in high school.

Yeah he sure did a bad job with both Cam and Todd! Especially with all the experience they both had, when Gus had all of one year to devolope them. (Well almost one year)

Archived