Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

FWIW, (and I can't post it because it's a premium article), former Auburn tailback Terry Henley has come out in favor of hiring Petrino.

Is he on the search committee?

I don't know. But he's one of Shug's boys, which I thought was interesting given everyone's reverence for him.

I think "reverence"might be a stretch..I know it is for me. I was at Auburn when Terry was there and listen....with all due respect, Terry isn't and never has been what you might call the sharpest knife in the drawer. Good football player...oh yeah..excellent. Will I fall in line with what he says....LOL..no way, sorry!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "reverence" was talking about Shug. And I didn't expect anyone to "fall in line" with him. But I just thought it was an interesting piece of info to add as we consider and discuss who's in favor of hiring Petrino. It would be equally interesting if Randy Campbell, Connie Frederick, Joe Cribbs, Stan White or Heath Evans came out and said the same thing. It just adds to the conversation and gives us a glimpse into the pulse of the fanbase.

I get the idea that some people here would take Petrino if he was a convicted rapist or axe murderer. the poll question that was put up here is a big indication that integrity means nothing to them. WE want him to hold the players accountable and keep them in line but we don't want to hold him to any level of accountability,

Anti-Petrino rant failed. You neglected to mention the Auburn Creed, God, Gary Patterson and Saban.

ad nauseum- a Latin phrase meaning, a point made in such a repeated manner as to induce nausea.

Good morning sir and I agree, but the choice remains and you're either in or you're out. I believe participation in the ad nauseum efforts is optional and entirely up to you.

The "reverence" was talking about Shug. And I didn't expect anyone to "fall in line" with him. But I just thought it was an interesting piece of info to add as we consider and discuss who's in favor of hiring Petrino.

OK fair enough. I'll make a mental note that Henley is for Petrino. Im not sure that means anything to me but duly noted.

The JetGate deal is just another episode in his continued demonstration of pooor judgement that

is seemingly always self serving to the detriment of the people that are currently paying him.

You can put me in that group too. I'm currently look at what's available in my field while gainfully employed. I have no intention of informing my current employer that I am looking around nor will I inform my current employer if/when I get an interview. My current employer will know that I was looking around for other opportunities when I turn in my two week notice.

I'm starting to have my doubts. I have a bad feeling that AU is going to bungle this again. Hope I'm wrong.

We've differed on this from the start but surely you're not saying that hiring anyone but Petrino represents a bungled job...are you?

I hope they do hire Petrino, but if not, I hope they don't go out and hire another subpar coach. These guys need to knock this out of the park if we ever want to be relevant again. A Dykes or a Strong or a Fisher hire would be pretty underwhelming to many AU fans.

I get the idea that some people here would take Petrino if he was a convicted rapist or axe murderer. the poll question that was put up here is a big indication that integrity means nothing to them. WE want him to hold the players accountable and keep them in line but we don't want to hold him to any level of accountability,

Stop making an idiot out of yourself and posting dumb accusations like that. Come on.

ad nauseum- a Latin phrase meaning, a point made in such a repeated manner as to induce nausea.

Good morning sir and I agree, but the choice remains and you're either in or you're out. I believe participation in the ad nauseum efforts is optional and entirely up to you.

It was meant about all of us, no one was an intended target and if you notice I chose to participate by posting, I've been as caught up in it as anyone.

The JetGate deal is just another episode in his continued demonstration of pooor judgement that

is seemingly always self serving to the detriment of the people that are currently paying him.

You can put me in that group too. I'm currently look at what's available in my field while gainfully employed. I have no intention of informing my current employer that I am looking around nor will I inform my current employer if/when I get an interview. My current employer will know that I was looking around for other opportunitiest when I turn in my two week notice.

No problem and I very well could be mistaken but Im assuming the stakes of the coaching hire game are probably just a wee bit higher than the type jobs you interviewed for. If you're making millions, good for you, if you're not, the comparison is really not a valid one.

Stop making an idiot out of yourself and posting dumb accusations like that. Come on.

+1

You can put me in that group too. I'm currently look at what's available in my field while gainfully employed. I have no intention of informing my current employer that I am looking around nor will I inform my current employer if/when I get an interview. My current employer will know that I was looking around for other opportunitiest when I turn in my two week notice.

No problem and I very well could be mistaken but Im assuming the stakes of the coaching hire game are probably just a wee bit higher than the type jobs you interviewed for. If you're making millions, good for you, if you're not, the comparison is really not a valid one.

While the scale of pay is different, the same principle applies.

http://www.wdrb.com/...fe-is-no-picnic

Under Petrino, something like a cell phone ringing in the offensive meeting room was a major infraction. If Paul Petrino heard a phone ring in one of his meetings, there was no telling what might happen. Forget confiscation, the phone would be lucky to survive, and the player might feel lucky to survive. In the first offensive meeting under Charlie Stubbs, Kragthorpe's new offensive coordinator, a phone rang, and players sat up in their seats, cringing almost reflexively. Stubbs stopped speaking, the phone rang once more before it could be silenced, there was an expectant moment of quiet, then he continued without acknowledging it.

I get your point. I really do. I feel his short comings can be addressed by contract and liability clauses. For the record, Chizik with as good a person as people claim him to be, had players in armed robberies, and taking drugs. My point is that people everywhere will do it, but Petrino runs a tight ship. Whether you like him or not.

Well, I disagree. The reasons are multiple but not limited to pay considerations alone. Coaching changes can have far reaching affects on football programs and with the very nature of the high stakes game that college footbal has become, unexpected and unannounced midnight departures can have very negative affects on a team's recruiting and stability of the program. Im not arguing with you about it but in the general work place there are typically many available prospective replacements lined up ready willing and able to take your job with no adverse affects to your employer whatsoever. But hey, you may be just that important...I dont claim that you aren't.

Well, I disagree. The reasons are multiple but not limited to pay considerations alone. Coaching changes can have far reaching affects on football programs and with the very nature of the high stakes game that college footbal has become, unexpected and unannounced midnight departures can have very negative affects on a team's recruiting and stability of the program. Im not arguing with you about it but in the general work place there are typically many available prospective replacements lined up ready willing and able to take your job with no adverse affects to your employer whatsoever. But hey, you may be just that important...I dont claim that you aren't.

Am I that important? Nah, not really. However, if/when I leave it will put my employer in a bind finding someone to replace me due to the governmental hurdles in place to even get to the client site.

After speaking with a good friend this morning, I look for Petrino to be announced as the new head coach this week. Apparently, Bo Jackson and Pat Sullivan have been calling big donor alumni to get their opinion on the potential hiring of Petrino. My friend's supervisor was called last week.

I have mixed feelings about it but will support him once hired.

Am I that important? Nah, not really. However, if/when I leave it will put my employer in a bind finding someone to replace me due to the governmental hurdles in place to even get to the client site.

Will they have to also concern themselves with the replacement of about 10 or 11 others when you leave? A HC is one position that generates the replacement of an entire staff. I uinderstand thats the new coach's job but it also has to be addressed.

The fact a Petrino hire thread is in its 253d page makes my hair hurt.

Everything about Penn State was harmed when their football program got deservedly bad press. Grants, endowments, perseptions of academic degrees, everything. Petrino's not a modern day rebel or something, he admitted embezzling and funneling athletic dept funds ($20k!) and lying to law enforcement. And this is not ancient history. Most people do jail time for either one of those offenses. It's not like he has an incredible SEC resume either so the pro-Petrino crowd is just confusing IMHO.

Guest jojo1515

Here we are, Monday after Championship weekend, and still not even a hint of real news out of our coaching search. While BP may end up being the coach, the waiting game leads me to believe that, if nothing else, he is not our #1 focus. Our "search committee" is obviously wanting to, at the very least, interview someone who had to coach a game this past weekend. If BP was our top target, he would have been offered and accepted already. It is apparent to me that the committee is after someone else. The way things appear, if BP gets the job, we were probably turned down by a few other guys and he was our backup plan. JMO

The fact a Petrino hire thread is in its 253d page makes my hair hurt.

Everything about Penn State was harmed when their football program got deservedly bad press. Grants, endowments, perseptions of academic degrees, everything. Petrino's not a modern day rebel or something, he admitted embezzling and funneling athletic dept funds ($20k!) and lying to law enforcement. And this is not ancient history. Most people do jail time for either one of those offenses. It's not like he has an incredible SEC resume either so the pro-Petrino crowd is just confusing IMHO.

With all due respect, you can't compare BPs ordeal to Penn St. You're talking about years of sex crimes and continual cover up and disreguard to lying, and breaking some equal opp. hiring laws. I agree bad press is bad press, but those 2 circumstances are completely different in nature. Completely.

Archived