Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

He got a 35 minute phone interview. In other words, it was perfunctory and they never really gave him a legitimate opportunity to win the job.

Thanks for nothing JJ. Good grief I hate our leadership.

Confirmed it was just a 35 minute call?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He got a 35 minute phone interview. In other words, it was perfunctory and they never really gave him a legitimate opportunity to win the job.

You pinning ALL that on JJ? So, do you believe the search committee is a sham? Apparently,you're going to be pissed if Petrino isn't hired. it doesn't take a lot to see that in your posts but why was the search committee even announced as having input in this decision?

You pinning ALL that on JJ? So, do you believe the search committee is a sham? Apparently,you're going to be pissed if Petrino isn't hired. it doesn't take a lot to see that in your posts but why was the search committee even annouonced as having input in this decision?

I believe that they were told Petrino wasn't an option. They had input, with limits.

And I will be pissed if Petrino isn't hired in order to go with a lesser resume. Had we managed to come through on some of the names like Jeff Fisher, Bob Stoops or someone in that realm, I'd have felt much better.

being reported now that Petrino has or is currently talking to the committee.

Over the phone. I would give it up; really doesn't look like BP is coming, we should move along. IMO

You pinning ALL that on JJ? So, do you believe the search committee is a sham? Apparently,you're going to be pissed if Petrino isn't hired. it doesn't take a lot to see that in your posts but why was the search committee even annouonced as having input in this decision?

I believe that they were told Petrino wasn't an option.

By who?

You pinning ALL that on JJ? So, do you believe the search committee is a sham? Apparently,you're going to be pissed if Petrino isn't hired. it doesn't take a lot to see that in your posts but why was the search committee even announced as having input in this decision?

I believe the search committee is a sham. It's just a way for Jacobs to deflect responsibility when he screws up again.

Then kudos to our administration for finally getting something right.

well, it isn't like they are looking over petrino's credentials and don't know exactly what petrino brings to the table; they aren't trying to figure him out. they are very familiar with him and have probably been studying him for months.

I believe the search committee is a sham. It's just a way for Jacobs to deflect responsibility when he screws up again.

Probably

OK, but I seriously doubt, knowing Bo jackson the way I do, he'd agree to participate in a sham to cover for Jay jacobs

By who?

Probably Gogue. Not sure. But I do think this search committee was formed to help Auburn people more easily accept whoever JJ and Gogue decided to hire. They had input, but they didn't make the call.

well, it isn't like they are looking over petrino's credentials and don't know exactly what petrino brings to the table; they aren't trying to figure him out. they are very familiar with him and have probably been studying him for months.

You could say that about every candidate. But some got a face to face interview where they got to really make their case for being the coach. This was a formality to check off a box and placate the fans who wanted CBP. Nothing more.

I believe that they were told Petrino wasn't an option. They had input, with limits.

And I will be pissed if Petrino isn't hired in order to go with a lesser resume. Had we managed to come through on some of the names like Jeff Fisher, Bob Stoops or someone in that realm, I'd have felt much better.

At least you named some names that were completely "realistic"..LOL. let me ask you this...how can you be so completely sure that anything but Petrino is certain failure for Auburn football?

By who?

Probably Gogue. Not sure. But I do think this search committee was formed to help Auburn people more easily accept whoever JJ and Gogue decided to hire. They had input, but they didn't make the call.

Opinion duly noted...not buying it! Sorry

OK, but I seriously doubt, knowing Bo jackson the way I do, he'd agree to participate in a sham to cover for Jay jacobs

I don't know Bo on a personal basis but looking at Jacobs actions as AD, he is exceptionally good at covering his ass.

The final group appears to be Petrino, Patterson, Malzahn, Smart, Morris. The best resume and proven HC in an AQ conference from that group and we only give him a 35 minute phone call ? Not even the courtesy of a face to face meeting ? Let us hope that call was just to set up a meeting because if that is all there will be with BP, that is just embarrassing for Auburn.

By who?

If you're serious about looking at all the candidates, you don't just do a 35 minute phone interview with the one who clearly has the best resume of those you have available. Sorry, not buying that.

By who?

If you're serious about looking at all the candidates, you don't just do a 35 minute phone interview with the one who clearly has the best resume of those you have available. Sorry, not buying that.

No problem, it all goes back to how you define "best"..if Auburn was JUST a football team looking for a coach, I could easily be persuded to your idea of what "best" means for Auburn at this time. Petrino doesn't fit in my interpretation of what "best" means for Auburn presently. Therein is where we go our separate ways.

By who?

terry henley was saying yesterday on sportscall that with petrino they didn't need to do face-to-face; that they could talk to him over the phone or whatever and that it wouldn't have to be long. he said they could do interviews on him in just a few minutes b/c they already know what he brings to the table. he was advocating just to be sure to interview him (he is pro-petrino) and that he would be happy with anyone the committee recommends as long as they interviewed everyone.

I still don't buy it. If you're going to interview someone like this, with the baggage he has, and you're serious about possibly hiring there is no way you don't sit across the table face to face with him and grill him for a couple of hours at least.

I still don't buy it. If you're going to interview someone like this, with the baggage he has, and you're serious about possibly hiring there is no way you don't sit across the table face to face with him and grill him for a couple of hours at least.

Why is that? His foibles are all a matter of public record. No need to get the guy in and humiliate him by going over all the sordid details.

petrino has been pushing for the au job.

how do we know that they haven't met already, say, during the season at some point? this could all be a process to see if anyone measured up to petrino and that petrino was the default hire. maybe the 35 min conversation was like "we looked at everybody and they sucked. you still interested, bobby?"

Why is that? His foibles are all a matter of public record. No need to get the guy in and humiliate him by going over all the sordid details.

Because you're digging to gauge where he's at now, ask him about what changes he's made since then and so on.

BTW, without going into the details since it's paid content, Jay Tate says the phone interview was more like 15 minutes and involved no serious questions. In other words just as I say: perfunctory.

By who?

terry henley was saying yesterday on sportscall that with petrino they didn't need to do face-to-face; that they could talk to him over the phone or whatever and that it wouldn't have to be long. he said they could do interviews on him in just a few minutes b/c they already know what he brings to the table. he was advocating just to be sure to interview him (he is pro-petrino) and that he would be happy with anyone the committee recommends as long as they interviewed everyone.

I agree. I will support whoever is chosen. That being said, I do not think a 35 minute phone call rules Petrino out. He is a known entity. That being said, i think it is appropriate to interview ALL candidates face to face because this is the professional way to take care of business. It may very well be possible that we have had previous conversations with Petrino and our call with him today was to let him in on the outcome of the coaching search.

petrino has been pushing for the au job.

how do we know that they haven't met already, say, during the season at some point? this could all be a process to see if anyone measured up to petrino and that petrino was the default hire. maybe the 35 min conversation was like "we looked at everybody and they sucked. you still interested, bobby?"

I can't go into details but if you have a Rivals sub, go look at what Jay Tate wrote about this "interview." Suffice it to say that those among the movers and shakers who supported Petrino are incensed. Not because he wasn't chosen but because of this BS phone call being called a legitimate interview.

Archived