Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:-\ Then your logic score must remain zero.

No one said Petrino would be walking in mid-season to replace Tubs. I am sure the deal was "wait until the season is over, but we wanted to know if you're interested" type of thing. This kind of thing goes on a lot, but usually there aren't planes and BOT members involved.

Jetgate was AU's fault, not Petrino's. I honestly don't see how you can blame a coach at Louisville listening to AUBURN.

Well PM's twitter ( Don't know how much he really knows) but 3 hours ago said "No call for Petrino yet" on his coach search update. If true, wouldn't it be clear that Petrino is either not in our top 2 choices or maybe not even on our radar all together?

Well PM's twitter ( Don't know how much he really knows) but 3 hours ago said "No call for Petrino yet" on his coach search update. If true, wouldn't it be clear that Petrino is either not in our top 2 choices or maybe not even on our radar all together?

either that or the details have already been worked out and the interviews are just to cover their asses and make sure there is as little backlash as possible for hiring Petrino

:-\/> Then your logic score must remain zero.

No one said Petrino would be walking in mid-season to replace Tubs. I am sure the deal was "wait until the season is over, but we wanted to know if you're interested" type of thing. This kind of thing goes on a lot, but usually there aren't planes and BOT members involved.

Jetgate was AU's fault, not Petrino's. I honestly don't see how you can blame a coach at Louisville listening to AUBURN.

You are mistaken. I don't really care as much as some here about Jetgate as far as the black marks against BP. I think it was about what would be expected by BP in a situation where he could get ahead. However, I do care about his repeated lack of good judgment, lack of loyalty, lack of integrity and highly self-serving actions all to the detriment of the organization he is in. What I was pointing out was a fairly large hole in your logic that the Jetgate scenario is really no different than if AU was to hire GM. The ONLY similarity between the two situations is that it involves replacing a coach at AU by a former asst. All other aspects are dissimilar.

He wasn't trying to "cut his throat." Auburn approached him and said xCTT was being let go at the end of the season. It wasn't contingent on whether Petrino was interested or not, as far as he knew, Tubs was getting fired. He just had to decide if he wanted to be the next coach or not.

Yeah I know. I posted as much in an earlier post and also reminded all that the 2 players from Auburn who orchestrated that fiasco were quickly replaced. He didn't have to say he was interested. Afterall, he had only been at Louisville for one year. When approached he could've just as easily easily have said...you know Tubs was good to me for giving me a chance to get back into the the college game and passed on it.....but he didn't. He was willing to take his job and IMO thats tantamount to cutting his throat. you see it differently..no problem. Thats the way I see and you wont change my point of view. Theres no way of knowing exactly what the Auburn contingency told Petrino.

Of course you won't change your mind. Nobody ever does. That's why this world is so great.

It doesn't matter Tuberville made clear he wasn't going to leave Oxford by declaring, "They'll have to carry me out of here in a pine box." Days later he flew out of Oxford on one of Auburn's private jets to his new head coaching gig at Auburn. It doesn't matter that Tuberville ranked #1 in the NCAA for coordinator turnover for the decade at Auburn.* Ask assistants that were fired or resigned about Tuberville's "endless" loyalty.

Don't get me wrong. I don't blame Tuberville because at the end of the day, it's a business. Tuberville knows it. Petrino knows it. The assistant coaches know it. Tuberville dug his own grave in 2003 and the notion that Petrino cut Tuberville's throat is absolutely laughable to me, but I have to let you know something -- I'm not saying you won't change my mind. I keep it open on purpose -- I've been wrong too many times to keep it closed.

* Reference:

http://www.al.com/au...9840.xml&coll=2

Nobody said Petrino cut Tubs throat. You missed the point entirely. You need help with this so let me see if I can help you. I said his willingness to participate in a clandestine meeting designed to surreptitiously circumvent a more legitimate and above board process of conducting business was tantamount to cutting Tubs throat. i swear people do suffer from an unwillingness to understand simple analogies. When Tubs made his infamous pine box statement...Auburn didn't even have a HC in place.

I agree. The Petrino moral high-ground, pitchforkers love to blame Jetgate on Petrino but dismiss the fact that four grown "respected" Auburn men planned a meeting and then flew outta state to go meet him on his turf.

Uhhh, seriously?? That's because it wouldn't be underhanded. Chiz is no longer the coach and Gus is being considered among others. No back alley meetings a few months ago while Chiz was still at the wheel. Your logic score: 0

Petrino was approached by Housel and Walker (not the other way around).

Petrino was told Tubs was gone (after all, Housel was Tubs' boss).

Petrino listened to their offer.

Conclusion:

I see no difference with this and the Gus situation.

The first part is a matter of public record..however, the second is not. That is, of course, unless you can produce the transcription of the dialogue. People assume they know exactly what Petrino was told but how do you know that the Auburn contingency wasn't just setting the progression in motion by gauging Petrino's interest in taking the job should it become available? You dont and Im not convinced you're necessarily onto what he was told and therein is the big divide in our perspectives.

I agree. The Petrino moral high-ground, pitchforkers love to blame Jetgate on Petrino but dismiss the fact that four grown "respected" Auburn men planned a meeting and then flew outta state to go meet him on his turf.

Just out of curiousity what was the fate of those Auburn people who orchestrated that fiasco? Do you even know?

Just out of curiousity what was the fate of those Auburn people who orchestrated that fiasco? Do you even know?

Walker resigned as president, David Housel went into retirement, I think Bryon Franklin was one of the four and can't remember the fourth.

Walker resigned as president, David Housel went into retirement, I think Bryon Franklin was one of the four and can't remember the fourth.

LOL...yeah, they both suddenly resigned and retired w/o fanfare. They were the 2 that put that meeting together like a ham sandwich and they were both given the opportunity to resign rather than be summarily terminated. The others were no better but weren't Auburn employees. So, the point about dismissing the Auburn folks accountability is completely false.

LOL...yeah, they both suddenly resigned and retired w/o fanfare. They were the 2 that put that meeting together like a ham sandwich and they were both given the opportunity to resign rather than be summarily terminated. The others were no better but weren't Auburn employees. So, the point about dismissing the Auburn folks accountability is completely false.

Resigned/retired. They were all near retirement age. Petrino was 42 at the time. My point is, its a little unfair for folks to keep implying "Jetgate" was all Petrino. Most people cant name the Auburn decision makers that went up there. The only lack of judgement in my eyes was how arrogant he became at Arkansas by hiring his mistress and then panicking and lying about it. I still forgive him and believe his big head has been deflated to a level safe enough for us to hire him. Load it with protection clauses.

The JetGate deal is just another episode in his continued demonstration of pooor judgement that

is seemingly always self serving to the detriment of the people that are currently paying him.

Is it general knowledge that a school will begin to put out feelers to a number of different coaches to gauge their interest before the current head coach has completed the season?

Theres not much debating the fact that Bobby Petrino has a checkered past. Theres also no doubts that he can coach football. if Auburn was just a football team looking for a HC I would be more inclined to accept his hiring as business as usual. However, Auburn is not just a football team looking for a coach. Auburn University is a public institution that just happens to take a lot of pride in Athletics. Petrino has so much baggage that hiring him is improbable especially given the fact we're a mere 7 months removed from his latest list of indiscretions. if someone could, I would love to see just one episode in BP's career where his chosen path demonstrated sound character based on good judgement. If that is not possible - why take the risk? The total package is what had to be considered.

Is it general knowledge that a school will begin to put out feelers to a number of different coaches to gauge their interest before the current head coach has completed the season?

I dont know that but in this day and age Im of the opinion that most of those feelers deal directly with coaches' agents on those kinds of inquiries but I could be wrong.

The further down the road this goes I'm thinking it's Petrino like it or not.

It could be and if it is, War Eagle!..I hope he wins them ALL. I have to see it to believe it though and only time will tell.

I'm starting to have my doubts. I have a bad feeling that AU is going to bungle this again. Hope I'm wrong.

We've differed on this from the start but surely you're not saying that hiring anyone but Petrino represents a bungled job...are you?

FWIW, (and I can't post it because it's a premium article), former Auburn tailback Terry Henley has come out in favor of hiring Petrino.

Is he on the search committee?

I get the idea that some people here would take Petrino if he was a convicted rapist or axe murderer. the poll question that was put up here is a big indication that integrity means nothing to them. WE want him to hold the players accountable and keep them in line but we don't want to hold him to any level of accountability,

FWIW, (and I can't post it because it's a premium article), former Auburn tailback Terry Henley has come out in favor of hiring Petrino.

Is he on the search committee?

Officially? No. But he's one of Shug's boys, which I thought was interesting given everyone's reverence for him. I imagine a lot of former players are being asked at least informally what their impressions are.

I get the idea that some people here would take Petrino if he was a convicted rapist or axe murderer. the poll question that was put up here is a big indication that integrity means nothing to them. WE want him to hold the players accountable and keep them in line but we don't want to hold him to any level of accountability,

Yeah, that's exactly what people have been advocating. :rolleyes:

Archived