The word on the Search

ellitor

Not Patterson:

http://www.collegean...-gary-patterson

Down to Gus and Kirby. My mom just called and said that one of her old students (mom is a former teacher) apparently has some kind of connections with news and is always posting about news events on Facebook before it breaks. He is posting that Gus will be announced as the new HC tomorrow at 10:00 AM.

Thank you for the laugh. I don't know why I thought that was funny when you said your mom called and told you. Anyway, thanks for the info

I looked up what she was talking about and the guy who posted it works at something related to AU's museum in the film business. None-the-less, he was nothing more than posting a thread on PM's site. There is a thread where someone claims that Gus will be announced at 10:00 AM, but I can't read it because I'm not a member. My mom is recently widowed so she likes to call me a lot.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPDATE

The rumors circulating of Smart to Auburn as HC being a done deal are not true. Is he picking up steam and looking very good? Yes. Is it done? No. This was seconded by JGT FWIW. There was some credible info posted and people let their imaginations run with it in saying it was a done deal. There are still people that strongly believe Petrino will get an interview but that remains to be seen...And no there have been no secret contacts or interviews with him.

Have you heard that USM offered Petrino?

Not anything definitive.

Something that I haven't seen discussed: Kirby Smart and Alabama run a 3-4. Are we assuming he can come in and immediately make our D stout? Do we have the personnel to effectively run a 3-4 defense?

No and no IMO

I think the AU faithful needs to start to get on board with the Smart hire... I think he is the only candidate, so far, that hasn't COMPLETELY divided the fan base... BP has, Gus has, and even Gary Patterson has... Let's let this thing play out. I'm starting to think this could be good!

Remeber, I have been someone wanting a "homerun hire" from the get go... but out of everybody else, Kirby could do some good things for AU... WDE We shall see!

Haha! Why would anyone get behind the MOST unproven candidate behind Morris. I think the news of him being interviewed has gotten everyone so paranoid that we will except anyone above him at this point. Which is I'm sure what the PTB want. I'm still holding out hope that that the new will be someone that has a proven track record as a head coach. Unfortunately my gut is saying we will do the typical Auburn thing: hire a coach that is just happy to land the job and will be willing to have the higher ups meddle in the program. Then we will be doing this again in 4 years.

Now, now... I STILL want the "homerun" with the proven track record, but if it comes down to the "unprovens", Smart would be the best option! He's had top 10 defenses at bammer for the last 5 years! It wouldn't be that bad.

Bama has a top 5 defense while Steele was there too..he leaves and gets canned at Clemson. Does it not worry anyone that all of Saban's protégés have failed miserably - Sunseri, Steele, Dooley

Will Muschamp says Hi.

He also says he was 5 years removed for saban, and coached under two other future hall of famers.

Chiz, as DC, had an undefeated season in 2004 with Auburn and a National Championship as DC for Texas. Does Jacobs really want to take a chance on another HC bust?

Do you K. Smart fans have a crystal ball? Kirby Smart is a smoke screen. Search committee has been selling the Petrino idea to major donors for 2 weeks. Its been Petrino since UGA. Jacobs has 1 chance to get this right if he wants to keep his job.

As long as he does not get arrogant and jealous like Chiz did then I will take those chances.

I must be blind but do you really think Gus taking a 10 win team from last year and winning a couple games this year makes him the ideal candidate. He maybe the greatest coach of our time but I would like to thank him for the memories and move on from this past era. I see him as an adequate coach just not the right coach for my university. I feel if he is hired we will be in the dark for the next decade. I know some of you love him I just don't get it. This coaching hire is going to be the most important hire since coach dye and I just have a feeling we aren't up to the task.

I think the AU faithful needs to start to get on board with the Smart hire... I think he is the only candidate, so far, that hasn't COMPLETELY divided the fan base... BP has, Gus has, and even Gary Patterson has... Let's let this thing play out. I'm starting to think this could be good!

Remeber, I have been someone wanting a "homerun hire" from the get go... but out of everybody else, Kirby could do some good things for AU... WDE We shall see!

Haha! Why would anyone get behind the MOST unproven candidate behind Morris. I think the news of him being interviewed has gotten everyone so paranoid that we will except anyone above him at this point. Which is I'm sure what the PTB want. I'm still holding out hope that that the new will be someone that has a proven track record as a head coach. Unfortunately my gut is saying we will do the typical Auburn thing: hire a coach that is just happy to land the job and will be willing to have the higher ups meddle in the program. Then we will be doing this again in 4 years.

Now, now... I STILL want the "homerun" with the proven track record, but if it comes down to the "unprovens", Smart would be the best option! He's had top 10 defenses at bammer for the last 5 years! It wouldn't be that bad.

Bama has a top 5 defense while Steele was there too..he leaves and gets canned at Clemson. Does it not worry anyone that all of Saban's protégés have failed miserably - Sunseri, Steele, Dooley

Will Muschamp says Hi.

He also learned from Tubbs and his last stop was with Mack Brown ..he has not coached with Saban since he was at LSU, although he was briefly with him in Miami.......Steele and Sunseri left Saban's staff directly after great seasons and failed. Not sure if Dooley left LSU straight to LaTech, although I think his name has as much to do with his opportunities as his connection with Saban...although people boasted about his Saban connection when he was hired at UT, another fail.

Will Muschamp says Hi.

I see a point for both above arguments. Personally I just can't get past the feeling of getting Bama's sloppy seconds'. I am well versed in the Pat Dye history, so I'm not saying it can't work out. I just want to seperate ourselves from uat and get rid of the lil brother mentality that I see being promoted with this hire. That said, I will support the final decision and hope for the best possible outcome....winning National Championships!! War Eagle!!

I really feel like I did the night before Chizik was hired. And I feel like it will be Kirby Smart tomorrow or Wednesday. Just too much smoke around this fire.

I feel like Auburn is about to make big boy decision and run the program like a corporation finally and hire the best man for THIS JOB. Petrino.

Doubtful. Insiders have said that Gouge has assured them he will not sign off on Petrino even if JJ does.

This is now outdated. It is now believed that Gogue will sign off on whoever the committee recommends.

I don't know why but I think I could get behind the KS hire. My #1 is Petrino and I still think he is the greatest football mind available, but I guess if his past has truly tainted him so much that we won't even give him a chance then I think I like KS over GM.

Why are they waiting to interview Petrino last? He has. been unemployed for 7 months.

Maybe the best question asked since the search began.

I really feel like I did the night before Chizik was hired. And I feel like it will be Kirby Smart tomorrow or Wednesday. Just too much smoke around this fire.

I feel like Auburn is about to make big boy decision and run the program like a corporation finally and hire the best man for THIS JOB. Petrino.

Doubtful. Insiders have said that Gouge has assured them he will not sign off on Petrino even if JJ does.

This is now outdated. It is now believed that Gogue will sign off on whoever the committee recommends.

As long as its not Petrino. Just kidding. But it can't help Petrino's chances if the big boss finds him distasteful.

Not so fast my friends........stay tuned. You just never know what happens next with this group.

So, you're saying Corso is the next HC at Auburn?

Very interesting. Way to think outside the box. Will Herbstreit be OC?

:poke:/>

And Desmond as WR coach.

Samantha Steele recruiting coordinator

^^ Where do I sign?

After me. ;D

ellitor, do your sources believe kirby has been offered?

TBH I probably will not know that for certain til an announcement is made.

Ellitor..are you thinking Tuesday or Wednesday for an announcement? At this time, who would you guess will be announced as the new head coach?

I have no problems with Gus or Smart or Petrino (as a football coach). I think Gus was smart enough to get out when he saw the disipline issues or lack thereof. I feel hes a great guy and a great coach who would surround himself with great assistants.

Educated guesses old school Clue style: Kirby Smart, On Wednesday, with the 3-4 defense.

are you hearing that he is being told that he must run a spread attack on offense? Is he really interested or is he going to embarrass us by turning us down?

Educated guesses old school Clue style: Kirby Smart, On Wednesday, with the 3-4 defense.

are you hearing that he is being told that he must run a spread attack on offense? Is he really interested or is he going to embarrass us by turning us down?

Not sure why that would even be thought of. That would be a bad move for Smart. He is definitely interested. I have not asked the question about offense so IDK yet.

If it is kirby does he still coach in NC game? Or put Auburn on hold till after jan 7 ..i dont want kirby but if it is id like him to start recruiting asap

If it is kirby does he still coach in NC game? Or put Auburn on hold till after jan 7 ..i dont want kirby but if it is id like him to start recruiting asap

Uh, I am no expert but I am going to say yes, yes of course he is going to coach in the National Championship game. He would not walk out on his boys like that and if he did it would be a poor decision.

Furthermore if Ellitor can answer some of the questions y'all are asking at this point Nostradamus will role over in his grave. It may be Kirby it may be someone else, they will give everyone a fair shot now, come on.

Archived