The word on the Search

ellitor

A few thoughts:

1. Some of you are too negative. Loosen up on the we are definitely doomed crap. Please.

2. Gary Patterson is a defensive coach. He was a DC before becoming head coach at TCU.

3. The only proven coach I know of with the kind of experience some want, close to Sabanesque - Former National Champ coach, great recruiting record, Better in the NFL, and better at getting players in the NFL is Butch Davis and he is available.

4. I think Bo Jackson and Pat Sullivan's opinion on who'd be a good coach are better than yours or mine.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am livid at this list,

This proves auburn football is beig ran by an incompetent group of morons. JJ has to GTFO

Also quit telling us money isn't a factor, when you look at coaches like this it's obvious they want a cheap solution.

If they were seriously wanting to make a boom hire their list should include (in no order).

1)Peterson

2)Patterson

3)Bob Stoops

4)Gundy

5)Jimbo

6)Gruden

Not

Petrino- surrounded by controversy, more losses in bowl games than wins, weak defenses almost every year, can't stay at one school, so so recruiting classes, etc.

Gus- No proven HC experience, zero knowledge about defense, a terrible offense if he doesn't have a mobile QB (although it may have been chiziks fault I admit)

Morris- who I'm not sold on at all, I think any offensive coordinator would look good with Boyd, Watkins, and Ellington.

Smart- would at least bring some solid defensive recruits and improve our d, but no proven HC experience.

Only boom thing they could do with that list is let smart be 1/2 HC and let Malzhan be the other 1/2 HC.

Just beyond disappointed we aren't throwing everything we have a bigger names. JJ is going to set us back another 5 years while Alabama is about to get their 3rd championship in 4 years. We need to copy every single thing Alabama is doing and every team should be thinking that. I'd be okay with ring a mirror image of a team who is livid to lose more than 2 games and who is in 3 NC games out of the last 4.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! You must have never learned that what you want isn't always what you get. Step away from the ledge and take off the O&B glasses for one second. Other than Peterson, who turned down $4 mill from UCLA just last season, which one of the coaches would be taking a step up to come coach Auburn? At best, it would be a lateral move. Why leave a good thing, uproot your family, to come to an unknown? We all love Auburn to our core but not one of those coaches has ties to Auburn and probably doesn't feel the same way as we do.

Let's see?

Petrino - unemployed - I think this makes Auburn a step up

Gus - HC at Arky St in the Sunbelt - HC at Auburn in the SECW, facilities, resources, recruiting all a step up

Morris - OC at Clemson - HC at Auburn, no comparison this is a step up

Smart - DC at Alabama, in the shadow of weeman - HC at Auburn, able to make a name for himself, chance to go against his old mentor in one of the biggest games in the country every November, definitely a step up

My preferences, if this is the list we are choosing from, would be Petrino, Smart, then Gus. Chad Morris shouldn't be on this list.

The main issue I have with Gus is that he was here during the Chizik era. He saw what was going on with our players getting smaller and weaker, he saw the discipline problems we were having, and he still took Dyer with him to Arky State. I don't think he is enough of a disciplinarian to turn Auburn around right now. He would make the smoothest transition, though. He knows Auburn and most/all the players. He would need a "lights out" DC, though.

So you go to his "not hire" list to make your points? I see what you did there. (didn't think I would have to explain this but..... my point was for the names of the A+ listers he named)

EGG ON FACE!!! Sorry, I didn't catch the "Not" on there. Re-reading the entire post, I still say Petersen and Jimbo would be making "step ups" coming to Auburn. Petersen would get a chance to put his talent to the test in the SEC, as would Jimbo. The MAC and ACC are not very competitive week in/week out, and therefore don't get as much respect. The other names would mostly just move for the money.

Agreed. From the reading I've done on Petersen he has a strong competitive drive and is not afraid of challenge; aka the SEC. I know he just recently signed a new contract with Boise State and is very comfortable. He is reported to only be interested in a move to the West Coast; being tagged as a "West Coast" guy. This idea is total crap IMO. AU can more than destroy Boise from every standpoint. If we have made an effort for an NFL guy(ala Jeff Fisher) and been denied, then a monumental effort should be made for Petersen. Hopefully it has; we may never know. I will support whomever is hired. But we should never settle for settling. War Eagle!!

If this is our actual list, we are the new Vandy without the high academic standards. I honestly believe that if any of these unproven coaches are hired and put up against the best coaches in the country in the sec, 10 years from now we will pray for a winning season. I hope something else is in the works, otherwise, college football will be the source of unending frustion for all Auburb fans. Have we become La Monroe of Alabama???? WTH ARE THESE GUYS THINKING???? Surely Bo and Pat arent willing to tarnish their legacy by throwing this gigantic load of bs on the AU fam. God please no! Just dont think I can take 10 years like the last 2.

BINGO, NAIL MEET HAMMER

I really feel like I did the night before Chizik was hired. And I feel like it will be Kirby Smart tomorrow or Wednesday. Just too much smoke around this fire.

I feel like Auburn is about to make big boy decision and run the program like a corporation finally and hire the best man for THIS JOB. Petrino.

Doubtful. Insiders have said that Gouge has assured them he will not sign off on Petrino even if JJ does.

Pres G stated he'll support JJ's recommendation... not that I believe it, but he said it.

A few thoughts:

1. Some of you are too negative. Loosen up on the we are definitely doomed crap. Please.

2. Gary Patterson is a defensive coach. He was a DC before becoming head coach at TCU.

3. The only proven coach I know of with the kind of experience some want, close to Sabanesque - Former National Champ coach, great recruiting record, Better in the NFL, and better at getting players in the NFL is Butch Davis and he is available.

4. I think Bo Jackson and Pat Sullivan's opinion on who'd be a good coach are better than yours or mine.

Hear! Hear!

Not Patterson:

http://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2012/12/3/3725286/auburn-coaching-rumors-gary-patterson

Down to Gus and Kirby. My mom just called and said that one of her old students (mom is a former teacher) apparently has some kind of connections with news and is always posting about news events on Facebook before it breaks. He is posting that Gus will be announced as the new HC tomorrow at 10:00 AM.

Not Patterson:

http://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2012/12/3/3725286/auburn-coaching-rumors-gary-patterson

Down to Gus and Kirby. My mom just called and said that one of her old students (mom is a former teacher) apparently has some kind of connections with news and is always posting about news events on Facebook before it breaks. He is posting that Gus will be announced as the new HC tomorrow at 10:00 AM.

Thank you for the laugh. I don't know why I thought that was funny when you said your mom called and told you. Anyway, thanks for the info

Steele was there when they went 12-2 and lost SEC title to UF, think it was a shared role between him and Smart not sure if he (steele) came back in. 2009.....Smart would be the first Saban defensive protege to amount to anything...

Muschamp

Tubbs, Mack Brown, also played a role in his career...not exclusively Saban

I really feel like I did the night before Chizik was hired. And I feel like it will be Kirby Smart tomorrow or Wednesday. Just too much smoke around this fire.

You mean...too much smoke around this HIRE...

I'm still holding out faith for Patterson. I know it's unlikely though.

The same Paterson who allegedly walked out of an AU interview 4 years ago?

I was a fan for hiring Kirby Smart since the beginning of the new HC search. I do not think it would be a bad hire for Auburn. I believe it would be safe to say that If Smart is hired at Auburn, he will win more than 6 games his first year as HC.

Don't be so sure of that. I have us winning 7 with Petrino doing his best work given how tough our schedule is.

I really don't think they ever intended to consider Petrino, honestly. I think how it goes down is that the committee makes a strong push tomorrow to hire Gary Patterson, and if he accepts, he's the new coach. If he turns it down, Kirby Smart is introduced tomorrow or Wednesday.

Has anyone seriously considered BP for a major opening this season? UK? UT?

Archived