The word on the Search

ellitor

. Are there any examples of a coach being hired prior to a National Championship in which the coach walked out on his boys prior to the game or are there examples of coaches being hired and staying for their Nat'l Champ game and then leaving?

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

. Are there any examples of a coach being hired prior to a National Championship in which the coach walked out on his boys prior to the game or are there examples of coaches being hired and staying for their Nat'l Champ game and then leaving?

It's not like the head coach is leaving. Smart could leave at any time. Gus helped with our bowl game last year, but did double duty as he started his job at Arky State as soon as the Iron Bowl was over.

It's not like the head coach is leaving. Smart could leave at any time. Gus helped with our bowl game last year, but did double duty as he started his job at Arky State as soon as the Iron Bowl was over.

Which is why I maintain from an earlier post that Kirby Smart is going to coach in the nat'l champ. game.

Thanks.

there are too many big time mutual recruits left on the board for him to stay with Bama if hired, especially on defense.

If Kirby Smart is the guy, do you really think saban will want to keep the new Auburn Coach on staff for a month ? Not only are both teams going after many of the same recruits but Smart would be putting his own staff together, possibly taking some of saban's own coaches. No way.

That's what we need someone back from the old regime. They can just pick up where they left off. That is exactly why I am not in favor of malzahn.

+1

Lots of rumors about a Gary Patterson contract extension. But no news stories. You know TCU has offered. Why the wait?

I'm just not giving up on that option. Thing is, there are no guarantees. Sometimes a coach is awesome in one setting but not in another. He just seems like a guy who could whip you with your own kids.

See Montana's post on GP a page or 2 back.

Yup. Still hoping.

Bo Pellni at LSU coached game then headed off to Nebraska

Ellitor, do you think avoiding our current situation is the reason "Jet Gate" happened. Don't you want the next guy settled on and "all in" before you let the current coach go. I mean, why let the current guy go without having the replacement in hand? When I heard Chiz was fired, my first thought was that they must have an upgrade in place. I just don't get it.

My opinion is the state AU is in now didnt happen this past season malzahn was there for 3 years. I really hope its not malzahn.....

a difference is that KS has coached a couple of NC games recently and may not feel the need to do it again. they did it last year with most of these same players. i think if he is the new coach, he should come on. however, the constant talk of him leaving could be a benefit, althoug smaller one.

i think saban pushes him on out. KS will need to compile a staff quickly while there are candidates out there. that may include some on the bama staff and NS knows that.

I hope he brings thir S&C coach with him. We need to replace Yox.

Definitely not!!! Isn't he the guy that does that commercial before the movie at Rave? He ruins the whole movie experience for me. I agree on replacing Yox, though.

Wikipedia's Kirby Smart entry now says he's our HC and will coach in the championship game.

Per my time stamp: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Kirby_Smart

Don't give me a lesson on Wikipedia. Just sharing that odd detail.

Thank for point that out. But it does not have Auburn in this wiki page a minutes ago when I refresh.

Wikipedia's Kirby Smart entry now says he's our HC and will coach in the championship game.

Thank for point that out. But it does not have Auburn in this wiki page a minutes ago when I refresh.

Funny!

Definitely not!!! Isn't he the guy that does that commercial before the movie at Rave? He ruins the whole movie experience for me. I agree on replacing Yox, though.

msg, i cant help it ... everytime i see your name i want to go and get chinese food ... i may take an early lunch

Funny!

so now the 2 fan bases will be out there dueling it out in a wiki war ... lol

I wonder how Saban feels about Smart interviewing with Auburn.....I always thought Smart would succeed Saban at Bama. Essentially this sets Smart up for a possible return to Bama if he is successful here, or they will say hey he failed at Auburn, glad we did not anoint him as Sabans successor...the only questions I have are what or how much of the defense is truly his, how quick can he adjust this roster to 3-4, what type of offense will he employ,his organizational skills, and will he have the stones to tell the AU ptb get out of his way and let him work....

Smart would be the perfect hire depending on who his OC is. Maybe that's what we interviewed Chad Morris for (I kid). But smart brings an amazing defense and recruiting defensively that's hard to match. Couple that with an OC kids want to play for and we've got something

Ellitor, do you think avoiding our current situation is the reason "Jet Gate" happened. Don't you want the next guy settled on and "all in" before you let the current coach go. I mean, why let the current guy go without having the replacement in hand? When I heard Chiz was fired, my first thought was that they must have an upgrade in place. I just don't get it.

Normally that would be ideal but when it became clear Chiz was a big problem you just have to let the guy go and hire what you feel is the best man for the job.

Archived