The word on the Search

ellitor

Just noticed we play Arkansas State next season September 7, second game of the year.. Interesting.

Funny thing is that a lot of people do not want Gus to be hired by AU but will sure be nervous to face him if he stays at ASU

We would beat Ark St. with Chizik team from this year

I do not believe you. Arkansas State beat ULM 45-23.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPDATE

The rumors circulating of Smart to Auburn as HC being a done deal are not true. Is he picking up steam and looking very good? Yes. Is it done? No. This was seconded by JGT FWIW. There was some credible info posted and people let their imaginations run with it in saying it was a done deal. There are still people that strongly believe Petrino will get an interview but that remains to be seen...And no there have been no secret contacts or interviews with him.

Have you heard that USM offered Petrino?

Just noticed we play Arkansas State next season September 7, second game of the year.. Interesting.

Funny thing is that a lot of people do not want Gus to be hired by AU but will sure be nervous to face him if he stays at ASU

OK, I understand blind loyalty and all...but...how do you figure? That Offense can flat out score, and as for scoring, our D couldn't stop an acne-ridden 300lb dweeb in a unitard at "last man on earth, take a chance on me" function at a retreat for 40-year old women who's biological clocks are looking for a BOOM hire, if you get my drift.

I think you've had too much to drink.

People on Scout and Rivals say Smart is all but a done deal. Can the OP here confirm?

Haha if that is the case I am glad I don't pay for Scout and Rivals. Look at the post above your post and you will find your confirmation. The interview process is not over, in the mean time I would imagine peoples stock will trend up and down as each is interviewed but they are not going to throw in the towel without weighing all their options. Soon.

UPDATE

The rumors circulating of Smart to Auburn as HC being a done deal are not true. Is he picking up steam and looking very good? Yes. Is it done? No. This was seconded by JGT FWIW. There was some credible info posted and people let their imaginations run with it in saying it was a done deal. There are still people that strongly believe Petrino will get an interview but that remains to be seen...And no there have been no secret contacts or interviews with him

Via Ellitor

I think you've had too much to drink.

We would have been embarrassed by Gus at the end of the season

Question Big Question

Has Patterson or Petersen been interviewed ?????????????????????????

Rumor is, Patterson has been interviewed. No inside info, but I would guess that either we aren't interested in Peterson or he isn't interested in us.

I think the AU faithful needs to start to get on board with the Smart hire... I think he is the only candidate, so far, that hasn't COMPLETELY divided the fan base... BP has, Gus has, and even Gary Patterson has... Let's let this thing play out. I'm starting to think this could be good!

Remeber, I have been someone wanting a "homerun hire" from the get go... but out of everybody else, Kirby could do some good things for AU... WDE We shall see!

Haha! Why would anyone get behind the MOST unproven candidate behind Morris. I think the news of him being interviewed has gotten everyone so paranoid that we will except anyone above him at this point. Which is I'm sure what the PTB want. I'm still holding out hope that that the new will be someone that has a proven track record as a head coach. Unfortunately my gut is saying we will do the typical Auburn thing: hire a coach that is just happy to land the job and will be willing to have the higher ups meddle in the program. Then we will be doing this again in 4 years.

Now, now... I STILL want the "homerun" with the proven track record, but if it comes down to the "unprovens", Smart would be the best option! He's had top 10 defenses at bammer for the last 5 years! It wouldn't be that bad.

Bama has a top 5 defense while Steele was there too..he leaves and gets canned at Clemson. Does it not worry anyone that all of Saban's protégés have failed miserably - Sunseri, Steele, Dooley

Out of Gus, Morris, and Smart I would take Smart all day. He has been around Saban for quite some time now and like it or not Saban know's how to run a program. So if Smart has been paying attention to Saban then that is what we need..because whoever the coach may be is going to have a mess to clean up.

Smart as the HC and Patrino as the OC?

Question Big Question

Rumor is, Patterson has been interviewed. No inside info, but I would guess that either we aren't interested in Peterson or he isn't interested in us.

Or.......stay with me now................they maybe...just maybe haven't come to a complete deal. Or.....it just hasn't been announced. Just a thought. You guys should really relax. Geez.

I think the AU faithful needs to start to get on board with the Smart hire... I think he is the only candidate, so far, that hasn't COMPLETELY divided the fan base... BP has, Gus has, and even Gary Patterson has... Let's let this thing play out. I'm starting to think this could be good!

Remeber, I have been someone wanting a "homerun hire" from the get go... but out of everybody else, Kirby could do some good things for AU... WDE We shall see!

Haha! Why would anyone get behind the MOST unproven candidate behind Morris. I think the news of him being interviewed has gotten everyone so paranoid that we will except anyone above him at this point. Which is I'm sure what the PTB want. I'm still holding out hope that that the new will be someone that has a proven track record as a head coach. Unfortunately my gut is saying we will do the typical Auburn thing: hire a coach that is just happy to land the job and will be willing to have the higher ups meddle in the program. Then we will be doing this again in 4 years.

Now, now... I STILL want the "homerun" with the proven track record, but if it comes down to the "unprovens", Smart would be the best option! He's had top 10 defenses at bammer for the last 5 years! It wouldn't be that bad.

Bama has a top 5 defense while Steele was there too..he leaves and gets canned at Clemson. Does it not worry anyone that all of Saban's defensive protégés have failed miserably - Sunseri, Steele, Dooley....?

Wonder if Dan Quinn would become DC under Kirby Smart if we can offer him more than Florida is. They coached together at the Dolphins.

if smart were hired i hope that he would reach out to Joe Whitt Jr., has run variations of the 3-4and 4-3 under Dom Capers in the NFL, would be a boom hire at DC. If smart chose Bobo, fine, but not my choice. However he is hired to be the coach and not me!!

The only way Whitt Jr comes back is as head coach, he wants a career in the pros...

If we did go the direction of smart what would we do with to offense? ... could that be chad morris

I beleive Mike Bobo would be our offensive coor. He and Smart are supposedly very tight and roomed together at UGA

That would be cronyism at its best. UGA fans have wanted Bobo fired.

Question Big Question

Or.......stay with me now................they maybe...just maybe haven't come to a complete deal. Or.....it just hasn't been announced. Just a thought. You guys should really relax. Geez.

This is what I am wishing for

Question Big Question

This is what I am wishing for

Please let this be true.

Bama has a top 5 defense while Steele was there too..he leaves and gets canned at Clemson. Does it not worry anyone that all of Saban's defensive protégés have failed miserably - Sunseri, Steele, Dooley....?

I don't think so... Steele was there in 2007 (7-6). I don't think they were a top 10 defense.

Smart took over in 2008 (12-2). Been taking names ever since...

Steele was and is a great defensive coordinator, but of course the spread was brought in at Clemson and the defense disappeared as opposed to it excelling the previous two years under a different offense. No DC that's good will work for a team that employs the spread offense anymore because it wears out your defense. And Dooley never really had a chance to succeed at UT, much like Barfield here. As for Sunseri, he was a position coach for a reason under Saban. However, Smart was pretty much hand picked to be Nick's successor at Alabama, much like how Bear always wanted Pat Dye to succeed him. Kirby Smart is a very good coach and if employed by the right school (AU), he could do extremely well.

Why anybody would want us to settle for Chad Morris who has only had 3 years as an OC as the new HC for Auburn is beyond me. Is Auburn the new Mid American Conference stopover training ground now ? At least Gus has been a HC for an FBS program for a year and he was Chad's teacher. Petrino can coach rings around both of them anyway.

Something that I haven't seen discussed: Kirby Smart and Alabama run a 3-4. Are we assuming he can come in and immediately make our D stout? Do we have the personnel to effectively run a 3-4 defense?

Chiz, as DC, had an undefeated season in 2004 with Auburn and a National Championship as DC for Texas. Does Jacobs really want to take a chance on another HC bust?

Do you K. Smart fans have a crystal ball? Kirby Smart is a smoke screen. Search committee has been selling the Petrino idea to major donors for 2 weeks. Its been Petrino since UGA. Jacobs has 1 chance to get this right if he wants to keep his job.

Something that I haven't seen discussed: Kirby Smart and Alabama run a 3-4. Are we assuming he can come in and immediately make our D stout? Do we have the personnel to effectively run a 3-4 defense?

Read the KS thread.

Search committee has been selling the Petrino idea to major donors for 2 weeks. Its been Petrino since UGA. Jacobs has 1 chance to get this right if he wants to keep his job.

Link?

Archived