2013 4* JUCO DT Lavon Hooks (Ole Miss signee)

ellitor

Bryan Matthews 6:00 pm update: It now appears very unlikely Lavon Hooks will visit Auburn tonight. He's back from his Washington visit but with the weather and long trip this weekend, he's not up to driving to Auburn. I'd say there's very little chance of him signing with Auburn Wednesday.

No offense, but no one has had good information on this kid. Why should BM be any different?

He did not visit.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before Westerman transferred, we weren't hurting too badly at Guard considering any guard could crosstrain for the other side and for emergency reserves Callahan could move over. Not ideal but having a set two deep of talented scholly players is solid especially if only one is a senior

With Westerman gone, we go from acceptable depth to void. Especially since he was expected to start/only guy other than Slade with experience at G

Westy has not transferred yet. The coaches are working on trying to convince him to stay.

Has anybody watched a college game lately? Except in the case of a blowout, there is never any substitution on the o-line. We've already got plenty enough warm bodies to plug in should there be an injury.

Signing one or two HS guys this year would be a good thing, I suppose. Signing a JUCO guy makes minimal sense with 7 redshirt freshmen and sophs on the squad, let alone the upperclassmen.

I'd rather see us sign 6 linebackers in the hope that one or two will pan out. That's a position with a critical need and three of our four top LB recruits have decommitted.

Has anybody watched a college game lately? Except in the case of a blowout, there is never any substitution on the o-line. We've already got plenty enough warm bodies to plug in should there be an injury.

Signing one or two HS guys this year would be a good thing, I suppose. Signing a JUCO guy makes minimal sense with 7 redshirt freshmen and sophs on the squad, let alone the upperclassmen.

I'd rather see us sign 6 linebackers in the hope that one or two will pan out. That's a position with a critical need and three of our four top LB recruits have decommitted.

The depth issue with interior line is not for planned substitution, it's because to play the positions those guys have be extremely strong and extremely fat and even w/ every protective devise in the trainers bin their knees are toast after a year or 2 of rollups and just plain trying to move around carrying that much weight. Most interior linemen in a major conference are nursing significant injuries by seasons end. The college football cliche "you can't have too many interior linemen" is very, very true.

Yup. He will be a Rebel. Freeze is doing a relatively outstanding job of recruiting.

i'll be honest, with it feeling like adams has slipped away from us, i had hoped we could pull in hooks. big strong kid with a couple of years to fill out compared to a true frosh ... but our track record with sure fire, cant miss stud juco DL guys has been spotty (gray, jones). i would love to have seen this guy on our sidelines. oh well...bummer

i'll be honest, with it feeling like adams has slipped away from us, i had hoped we could pull in hooks. big strong kid with a couple of years to fill out compared to a true frosh ... but our track record with sure fire, cant miss stud juco DL guys has been spotty (gray, jones). i would love to have seen this guy on our sidelines. oh well...bummer

We just got there a little late in the game since Gus and Ellis only got hired a couple weeks ago.

We just got there a little late in the game since Gus and Ellis only got hired a couple weeks ago.

yep. kinda hoped he got caught up in a little bit of the excitement of the new coaching staff and made a gut reaction to go with auburn. i guess that is still technically possible until 5 today ...

yep. kinda hoped he got caught up in a little bit of the excitement of the new coaching staff and made a gut reaction to go with auburn. i guess that is still technically possible until 5 today ...

Yes, I guess it is. Seems Iike he could have used his time on a more realistic OV for himself with us rather than go all the way out to Washington but that was probably preplanned for awhile too.

Yes, I guess it is. Seems Iike he could have used his time on a more realistic OV for himself with us rather than go all the way out to Washington but that was probably preplanned for awhile too.

As of last week he was all AU. Not sure what changed over the weekend. I hope we can get a full staff in place quickly and try to shore up this class.

I don't know what's more laughable-people here giving assurances that Hooks would sign with Auburn, or people here giving assurances that Hooks will sign with Ole Miss. Same absence of any useful knowledge. I think I will go troll an Ole Miss board and report that Hooks to Ole Miss is a "done deal".

Well, to be honest Ole Miss has been reported to be leading for a while. AU got some rumors because he has unofficially visited before and said that AU would be one of his finalists, which gave AU a lot of hope I think until he ended up not coming to AU yesterday. Had he been able to come, I think AU would have had a much better chance.

I don't know what's more laughable-people here giving assurances that Hooks would sign with Auburn, or people here giving assurances that Hooks will sign with Ole Miss. Same absence of any useful knowledge. I think I will go troll an Ole Miss board and report that Hooks to Ole Miss is a "done deal".

1. Ole Miss has been leading for a long time and 2. The Ole Miss site broke the announcement time. That usually means that is where a player is going.

As of last week he was all AU. Not sure what changed over the weekend. I hope we can get a full staff in place quickly and try to shore up this class.

Accurate predictions/info has been pretty scarce on this site lately. Of course, that is because many folks are going by tweets and/or info from people or sites that no longer have good info.

wde

Did you even read the post you are responding to? Offensive Tackles do not play guard and so on which I explained in my previous post. Similar to how you cannot put Corey Lemonier at defensive tackle just because both play "defensive line." We do not have 7 redshirt freshman and sophomores on this squad that can play offensive guard. We need 6 players to create a two deep on the interior oline. Not having a two deep provides serious depth issues from injury concerns to practicing.

As I pointed out, there are not just "plenty enough warm bodies" to plug in. We currently do not even have a solid two deep on the interior OLine.

There is a reason they aren't letting you do roster management. Do you read what you post?

Why are you here? Every post you make is saying something derogatory about the people that like to post on this recruiting board. Flake off and give yourself and everybody else a break.

Did you even read the post you are responding to? Offensive Tackles do not play guard and so on which I explained in my previous post. Similar to how you cannot put Corey Lemonier at defensive tackle just because both play "defensive line." We do not have 7 redshirt freshman and sophomores on this squad that can play offensive guard. We need 6 players to create a two deep on the interior oline. Not having a two deep provides serious depth issues from injury concerns to practicing.

As I pointed out, there are not just "plenty enough warm bodies" to plug in. We currently do not even have a solid two deep on the interior OLine.

There is a reason they aren't letting you do roster management. Do you read what you post?

Yes I do read what I post. Do you think about what you post? That silly remark you made about Jarrad Davis's listed 40 time of 4.6 being "understated", for instance. If his is understated as you claim then everybody else's is understated and thus it's all relative. That thought ever cross your mind or do you just make up facts to back up your questionable claims?

You are more than welcome to try and convince anyone that Jarrad Davis is faster than people like Cam Newton and would place in the top 5 overall of all LBs in the NFL combine. If you are stating that everyone is also incorrectly marked than look no further than our very fast/quick freshman QB Jonathan Wallace. I highly doubt that Jarrad Davis is a quarter of a second faster than him.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Jonathan-Wallace-115255

The comment I made towards you had more to do with you clearly not even reading my post before responding. That or I just assumed most people realized the extremely important need of depth and the very least a two deep across the roster.

Quote: "You are more than welcome to try and convince anyone that Jarrad Davis is faster than people like Cam Newton and would place in the top 5 overall of all LBs in the NFL combine."

My point was that virtually ALL 40 times listed by the recruiting services are understated. If a LB is listed as running a 4.6 40, then he's a fast linebacker. Since all are understated, it's relative. You can probably search and find a half-dozen times listed for prospects by the services that would make them the fastest player at last year's NFL combine. The times are relative. A 4.6 listing means a fast linebacker. Whether he and everybody else listed at 4.6 actually runs a 4.9 does not matter.

Most of those 40 times are reported by high school coaches that inflate them and there is no way to tell how much they inflated a person's time. Doesn't change my comment in that thread that people see a 4.6 and believe he was quick and made for the spur position as a result.

Well, to be honest Ole Miss has been reported to be leading for a while. AU got some rumors because he has unofficially visited before and said that AU would be one of his finalists, which gave AU a lot of hope I think until he ended up not coming to AU yesterday. Had he been able to come, I think AU would have had a much better chance.

dont think I knew that he had even taken an uov ... I am now 1%-2% more optimistic! I'll go back to my sunshine pump stance that he took the weekend ov to have a free trip before signing with AU

Why are you here? Every post you make is saying something derogatory about the people that like to post on this recruiting board. Flake off and give yourself and everybody else a break.

Boo hoo. I'm here because I am an alumnus of Auburn and a fan of its football team. I'm not a fan of inmates having access to the internet.

dont think I knew that he had even taken an uov ... I am now 1%-2% more optimistic! I'll go back to my sunshine pump stance that he took the weekend ov to have a free trip before signing with AU

Yes. He was here for A-Day.

Archived