Super Conferences

oldman

I don't usually start wild topics but what If the SEC becomes a 20 team super conference, what 6 teams do you think will be added? Just quickly off the top of my head :(1) Clemson (2) Ga. Tech (3) Fla. St (4) Louisville (5)Arky St. (6) La. Monroe or LaFayette or another Texas school

I don't usually start wild topics but what If the SEC becomes a 20 team super conference, what 6 teams do you think will be added? Just quickly off the top of my head :(1) Clemson (2) Ga. Tech (3) Fla. St (4) Louisville (5)Arky St. (6) La. Monroe or LaFayette or another Texas school

It stops at 16 and the 2 will be VaTech and NC State.

16 at the most.

The best fits are 2 ACC schools, however they have super high buyouts and SEC schools from Ga Fl and SC will prevent GT, FSU, or Clemson from coming here. VaTech and one of the N Car schools would work.

The next choice is to our west, 2 Big12 schools. Oky and Oky St. as a pair would be good. Oky might not like the lost of power it has now in the Big12.

A set of 4 super BCS conferences each with 16 teams would make a national playoff more doable too.

The 20 team set up with 4 pods of 5 works well you go to a 9 game schedule, playing the other 4 teams in your pod and every team in your pod plays the same 5 from:another pod, just like the NFL. This would be fair to all and the four champs playy it out at the end of the year. The six teams the SEC should go after are:

North Carolina- huge flagship state school lots of rich alum and North Carolina market-lots of tvs.

FSU- Florida has a huge population and adding the noles would lock the state down.

Duke- basketball exposure along with Missouri, Kentucky and NC would be a huge bonus.

Virginia- same reasons as North Carolina

Virginia Tech- no other reason except they fit really well

The obvious last choice is Texas they bring huge fan base and a national brand unequal to anyone else except maybe Notre Dame.

It's VT and NC State.

NCSU is trying to be a football school, and they'll want to be out of the shadow of Duke/UNC. Neither of those schools will come without the other, and we need the market in NC, so NCSU is a logical choice.

Virginia Tech is another school that is heavily football weighted in a basketball conference, and it gives us a footprint throughout the Virginia region, but more importantly the Washington DC TV market. I thought for a while it might be WVU, but I think infrastructure and fan base make VT a much more logical fit. Being from Virginia, I can tell you that VT takes their football almost as seriously, their fans are equally rabid, and they travel phenomenally well. They'll make a solid addition.

It might ultimately be Va. Tech and N.C. State, but those are secondary options for SEC at the moment. Duke and UNC would be the preferred adds to SEC brass. It locks down the state of Carolina and the Charlotte TV market. It brings in one quality football program, but not a juggernaut, two stellar hoops schools and two high-end academic schools. If SEC went to 18 — which is possible — then NC State and Va. Tech would be those choices as they would be if Duke and UNC decided to go to the Big Ten because ...

The Big Ten appears to be chasing Duke and UNC as its first options, too. However, they also have eyes on Georgia Tech and Virginia. Duke and UNC hold all of the cards in this at the moment since the SEC and Big Ten both want them. I think Big Ten Commish Jim Delaney is will be the one to blink first in this and bypass Duke and UNC for Ga. Tech and Virginia. I think Delaney will get tired of waiting on the Carolina schools to make a decision, and he'll decide to get into the Atlanta and D.C. TV markets instead of Charlotte. He may ultimately decide he'd rather be in those markets than just Charlotte anyway because it would, in all likelihood, mean more money for his Big Ten Network.

If SEC gets UNC and Duke and if Big Ten gets Ga. Tech and Virginia — and if both conferences decide to stop there — then I think you ultimately see Va. Tech, N.C. State, Louisville, Clemson, FSU and Notre Dame go to the Big 12. That gives you those three conferences with 16 apiece. I do believe there is a chance, however, that one or more of these conferences goes past 16 to 18. For example, if Delaney does get Georgia Tech and Virginia, Mike Slive might decide to invite Virginia Tech and NC State into the league with Duke and UNC that way the SEC gets into the DC TV market, too. I don't think the SEC or any other conference would go to 20 because then you would almost have to play 10 conference games in football, and that ain't happening. Nine maybe, but not 10.

This game of "grab a school" is all about money and adding TV households to cable deals. That's it. Rivalries and traditions do not matter to the people making the decisions.

It might ultimately be Va. Tech and N.C. State, but those are secondary options for SEC at the moment. Duke and UNC would be the preferred adds to SEC brass. It locks down the state of Carolina and the Charlotte TV market. It brings in one quality football program, but not a juggernaut, two stellar hoops schools and two high-end academic schools. If SEC went to 18 — which is possible — then NC State and Va. Tech would be those choices as they would be if Duke and UNC decided to go to the Big Ten because ...

The Big Ten appears to be chasing Duke and UNC as its first options, too. However, they also have eyes on Georgia Tech and Virginia. Duke and UNC hold all of the cards in this at the moment since the SEC and Big Ten both want them. I think Big Ten Commish Jim Delaney is will be the one to blink first in this and bypass Duke and UNC for Ga. Tech and Virginia. I think Delaney will get tired of waiting on the Carolina schools to make a decision, and he'll decide to get into the Atlanta and D.C. TV markets instead of Charlotte. He may ultimately decide he'd rather be in those markets than just Charlotte anyway because it would, in all likelihood, mean more money for his Big Ten Network.

If SEC gets UNC and Duke and if Big Ten gets Ga. Tech and Virginia — and if both conferences decide to stop there — then I think you ultimately see Va. Tech, N.C. State, Louisville, Clemson, FSU and Notre Dame go to the Big 12. That gives you those three conferences with 16 apiece. I do believe there is a chance, however, that one or more of these conferences goes past 16 to 18. For example, if Delaney does get Georgia Tech and Virginia, Mike Slive might decide to invite Virginia Tech and NC State into the league with Duke and UNC that way the SEC gets into the DC TV market, too. I don't think the SEC or any other conference would go to 20 because then you would almost have to play 10 conference games in football, and that ain't happening. Nine maybe, but not 10.

This game of "grab a school" is all about money and adding TV households to cable deals. That's it. Rivalries and traditions do not matter to the people making the decisions.

That's why you wont see 2 North Carolina schools. It will be VaTech and NC State for #15,#16 to complete the solid South footprint for the SEC. This is also why you won't see any teams that will duplicate existing States in the SEC such as a Clemson or FSU.

That's why you wont see 2 North Carolina schools. It will be VaTech and NC State for #15,#16 to complete the solid South footprint for the SEC. This is also why you won't see any teams that will duplicate existing States in the SEC such as a Clemson or FSU.

Yep, you're definitely on the mark on Clemson and FSU (I understand where you're coming from on VaTech/NC State, but I still think Duke and UNC have first shot at SEC if they want it. Those are name brands).

On FSU ... I'm not sure that I like the idea of the Seminoles winding up in the Big 12. If I was the SEC, I'm not sure I'd want the Big 12 or Big 10 cutting into my territory for a top name brand like FSU. But there is no way they will be in the SEC. Ditto Clemson and Georgia Tech.

Yep, you're definitely on the mark on Clemson and FSU (I understand where you're coming from on VaTech/NC State, but I still think Duke and UNC have first shot at SEC if they want it. Those are name brands).

On FSU ... I'm not sure that I like the idea of the Seminoles winding up in the Big 12. If I was the SEC, I'm not sure I'd want the Big 12 or Big 10 cutting into my territory for a top name brand like FSU. But there is no way they will be in the SEC. Ditto Clemson and Georgia Tech.

What is keeping us from getting Duke/UNC is that we don't need both to get the NC market, only one. With NCSU and VT we get TWO states, and a HUGE market with DC as well as Charlotte. More money and more sense to take the broader picture than to choose two schools that are merely 10 minutes apart.

You're absolutely right about FSU and Clemson. Both end up in the Big 12.

............................ This game of "grab a school" is all about money and adding TV households to cable deals. That's it. Rivalries and traditions do not matter to the people making the decisions.

I think what we will see is the more football centric teams leave the ACC.

1. VaTech and NCState go to the SEC.

2. Then I think the Big12 will form East-West divisions with GaTech (Big12 East Div), Clemson (Big12 East Div), FSU (Big12 East) Miami (Big 12 East) going to the Big12 and join West Virginia (Big12 East).

3. Then the more basketball centric ACC schools, Boston College, Duke, North Carolina, Pitt ('13), Syracuse ('13), Virginia and Wake Forest will merge with what is left of the major basketball centric Big East schools to form their own basketball centric conference.

*Louisville ('14 to the ACC) could go either way. Go with the Big12 East for football or stay with the ACC basketball schools.

4. In the end we will end up with 4 Super conferences of 16 teams each split into 4 Divisions each. At the end of the year we will have a 16 team playoff beginning with the 4 division champions in each conference playing for the conference title, then the 4 conference champions meet for the national title. The best part will be no polls, every team has to earn it on the field all the way thru. We are almost there now and it wont take much to get there from here.

Big 10- 14 teams (after the addition of Maryland and Rutgers which is already approved.)

SEC- 14 teams (16 if they added VaTech and NCState. SEC solid South footprint is complete)

Big12- 10 teams (14 if they added GaTech, FSU, Clemson, Miami, 15 with Louisville)

Pac12- 12 teams

Sorry Bird, good names but no something extra with any of above.

Anyway, FSU and Clem probably blocked by UF and USC and maybe similar situation with Baylor and TAM.?

It stops at 16 and the 2 will be VaTech and NC State.

^^^^^

What is keeping us from getting Duke/UNC is that we don't need both to get the NC market, only one. With NCSU and VT we get TWO states, and a HUGE market with DC as well as Charlotte. More money and more sense to take the broader picture than to choose two schools that are merely 10 minutes apart.

You're absolutely right about FSU and Clemson. Both end up in the Big 12.

Couldn't have said it better. Plus, allows Mizzou to move to West (with huge reduction in travel budget). Only downside - a boatload of Tigers in one division.

The criteria for adding teams is that it also adds eyeballs on television sets. Clemson, FSU, Louisville and Georgia Tech don't do that for the SEC. The SEC already has about all the people it's going to get watching its games in Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky and Georgia.

By almost the same criteria you won't see any of the various Louisiana schools, be they Tech, Lafayette or Monroe or Arkansas State. Not only does LSU and Arkansas already have the hearts of almost everyone in the state (including grads of the other smaller in-state schools), but those teams are also completely irrelevant and don't have the facilities or the stadiums to be in this league.

So here's what you're looking at: The most likely options are Va Tech and NC State. Gives SEC exposure in Virginia and North Carolina and they wouldn't drive a hard bargain. Now if the SEC had it's way it would probably sub out UNC for NC State, but UNC feels the SEC is academically beneath them and they aren't coming. Same goes for Virginia (but also VT is a better program overall).

In a perfect world, the SEC would love to take Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Sure there's Texas but they aren't getting Texas and they know it. OU would bring a lot of name cache to the league and solidify it as the premier league. Plus both upgrade our basketball side as well. They you'd have an SEC West that would consist of OU, Okie St., Missouri (they'd be moved), A&M, LSU, Arkansas, MSU, and Ole Miss. Auburn and Alabama would shift to the East and be with Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, S. Carolina, Vandy and UK.

If they took VT and NC State, I think you'd see an SEC West with LSU, A&M, Arkansas, Missouri (again, moved), MSU, Ole Miss, Auburn, Alabama. The East would then be Va Tech, NC State, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, S. Carolina, Vandy, Kentucky.

Folks correct me if i'm wrong.But i believe that VPI and UV are in a deal like OK and OK.St. One can not go to another conf. without the other.(per state law)So,if VPI comes to the SEC,UV would come also.

Folks correct me if i'm wrong.But i believe that VPI and UV are in a deal like OK and OK.St. One can not go to another conf. without the other.(per state law)So,if VPI comes to the SEC,UV would come also.

Nope. The only hiccup would be some hurt feelings because UVA lobbied the ACC to take VT over some other options back when the ACC expanded last.

Sorry Bird, good names but no something extra with any of above.

Anyway, FSU and Clem probably blocked by UF and USC and maybe similar situation with Baylor and TAM.?

Baylor brings tons, a top men's and women's bball program, a great track program, a great tennis program, great baseball, as well as a very good up and coming football program. They have a med school and law school as well. Their admittance would also secure the central Texas recruiting hotbeds.

Archived