NCAA considering immediate transfer option to 2.6+ GPA students

ellitor

I don't really like this rule. I dont know if I am reading this right but a player who has a high enough GPA could bounce around school to school and play. I think a lot of players now don't transfer because they dont want to sit out a year. This would make it easier for them to just get up and leave.

I don't really like this rule. I dont know if I am reading this right but a player who has a high enough GPA could bounce around school to school and play. I think a lot of players now don't transfer because they dont want to sit out a year. This would make it easier for them to just get up and leave.

Yes, I think this is the intent of the rule.

Well that is dumb because it teaches the player not to work for anything. He could be thinking "Oh I am not starting right now. Oh forget that I can just jump over here and start." Where is the part that makes the player work for his starting role. Emerrit is a moron nuff said.

And what is the problem with that? I have never understood why people are so against the college ranks being like the NFL and letting players move around. If I was going to a school for academics and found a school that would accept my credits and offered me a better chance to succeed then I would want to transfer too. Even if I were transferring out of where I was because i couldn't make the grades, that's my prerogative. Everyone wants to pretend that the guys that don't make it to the NFL come out of college as proust scholars. Well, they don't. They should be given the chance to be as successful as possible at what they are good at, which is really the whole point of college in the first place (which it usually fails at anyway).

I hate this. It should not be easier for players to leave a program. A player makes a choice where to go and he should stick to that agreement. If a tragedy befalls him or his family then the NCAA has waivers that they might grant to make it easier to transfer and if a player is just that uphappy with the decision he made then he needs to be an adult and deal with sitting out for a year. I do like the idea of it being affected by GPA but anthything making it easier is a bad thing in my opinion. They should atleast raise it to 2.8 or even a 3.0. I also think that anytime a coaching change happens it should be easier to transfer and I think if a player wants to leave and sit out then he should be able to go whereever he wants and not need to have permission to leave to certain schools.

Well that is dumb because it teaches the player not to work for anything. He could be thinking "Oh I am not starting right now. Oh forget that I can just jump over here and start." Where is the part that makes the player work for his starting role. Emerrit is a moron nuff said.

I can see this point, but if a player has above a 2.6 GPA, he is at least working hard in the classroom (at least somewhat anyway). If you are approaching 3.0 or higher with a GPA, football may not be your number one priority. If you have over a 2.6 GPA and you are good enough at football, you can probably at least find a spot starting on special teams at your current school. It seems to me that the guys that transfer have a top priority of playing in the NFL. Those guys have to transfer because you can't make the league if you don't play. However, they have to sit out a year for the privilege.

I don't have a problem with the student having mobility to a different school. Additionally, I would favor eliminating some of the issues arising when students aren't granted waivers. What I would be more concerned about is the schools recruiting kids already in another program, I recognize that the site states, "Tampering with an athlete by another school would be considered a severe breach of conduct, a Level I violation, the highest in the NCAA’s new enforcement structure." Nevertheless, I would worry about people walking up to the line on this rule. It could even encourage more intermediates or "scouting services" for existing student athletes. It could encourage some universities acting as de facto minor leagues for bigger schools.

My experience with recruiting is very limited. Obviously, there are some ugly things that can occur with high school students. I have heard it can get even uglier with JUCOs. It would seem to be ripe to be even worse if there is a way to obtain proven college talent.

There is also a rule that playes can only make 2 tranfers in college and play. There will be no bouncing around.

I don't have a problem with the student having mobility to a different school. Additionally, I would favor eliminating some of the issues arising when students aren't granted waivers. What I would be more concerned about is the schools recruiting kids already in another program, I recognize that the site states, "Tampering with an athlete by another school would be considered a severe breach of conduct, a Level I violation, the highest in the NCAA’s new enforcement structure." Nevertheless, I would worry about people walking up to the line on this rule. It could even encourage more intermediates or "scouting services" for existing student athletes. It could encourage some universities acting as de facto minor leagues for bigger schools.

My experience with recruiting is very limited. Obviously, there are some ugly things that can occur with high school students. I have heard it can get even uglier with JUCOs. It would seem to be ripe to be even worse if there is a way to obtain proven college talent.

Yes, I agree this is a danger. But if people do walk up to that line, they need to get slapped back.

I hate this. It should not be easier for players to leave a program. A player makes a choice where to go and he should stick to that agreement. If a tragedy befalls him or his family then the NCAA has waivers that they might grant to make it easier to transfer and if a player is just that uphappy with the decision he made then he needs to be an adult and deal with sitting out for a year. I do like the idea of it being affected by GPA but anthything making it easier is a bad thing in my opinion. They should atleast raise it to 2.8 or even a 3.0. I also think that anytime a coaching change happens it should be easier to transfer and I think if a player wants to leave and sit out then he should be able to go whereever he wants and not need to have permission to leave to certain schools.

No offense to you personally but given coaches can and do move around all the time and the fact the relationships with those coaches is the major reason players choose a school, making it tougher for players to leave is total Bull Crap thinking.

I agree that you have to monitor and make sure that schools don't start recruiting for transfers, but those rules are already in place so it shouldn't be an issue. I think it's BS that we think that playing football and trying to get into the NFL is somehow more of a priviledge than the rest of us trying to compete in the job market for our own respective fields. If i had a problem with my school that I felt kept me from getting an engineering job then i would have left, and I wouldn't have sat out a year to fix the problem either. If a kid has a 2.5 GPA in social sciences, then i have news for you, football is his best bet at success. Making him sit out a year helps no one, especially not the athlete. All it does is make him wait a year to improve his odds at getting a job in his field of work. Why are we even trying to force a kid to stay where he doesn't want to be FOR ANY REASON? If he doesn't like the smell of the bathrooms in his dorms it's no ones business if he decides he wants to leave the place!

I understand where they are coming from with this rule; however, recruiting wouldn't be nearly important if/when this rule is in effect because a coach could just go and snag some 2nd stringers from another school and tell them they could start here (at the coach's particular school).

I understand where they are coming from with this rule; however, recruiting wouldn't be nearly important if/when this rule is in effect because a coach could just go and snag some 2nd stringers from another school and tell them they could start here (at the coach's particular school).

It's already against the rules to recruit players. This rule doesn't change that. If anything it makes it harder on coaches to make sure their players are happy with their decision.

If you are a football player at a D1 school, you have to try to not get a 2.6. They hire personal tutors for you, required study hours and most take the easier majors. That is officially the benefits. Not going to name names but I sat next to a football player in one of my classes and despite him never taking notes and seemingly had a hard time spelling his own name, he managed to never make below a 95 on a test when the class average was in the 70s. Sounds legit

Can't reach out to players on another roster unless the player makes first contact.

The "processing" would immediately become easier and more widespread

But better for the platers since they would get to go to another D1 school to play the next season instead of having to sit a year or go to a d2 school.

Can't reach out to players on another roster unless the player makes first contact.

And who does this rule apply to? His HS buddy that might be playing for another school? Some kid he met at an all star game a couple years ago and still keeps in touch with? A girlfriend at another school?

JMO but this rule makes it open-season on schools trying to pick up players from other schools.... and for the record, a 2.6 is pretty modest GPA and certainly does not indicate the guy is a top student with high academic asperations.

This will help further lay waste to the delusion that some seem to cling to that all of these kids love the school they committed to/signed with and are "Family", part of the" _____Nation" etc.

wde

Archived