Broken bat~~~WHAT?

At today's game, an Auburn batter hit a broken-bat one hopper back to the mound. This was somewhere around the second inning. I was at the game so I didn't didn't hear any commentary.

Here's the question: I've never seen a broken aluminum bat before, and I've been around a lot of baseballs being hit by such bats. The bat that broke had the same painted markings on it as the bats other guys were hitting with. Anybody know the explanation?

The only thing I could think is that when the ncaa required baseball to deaden the bats, it cost a little bit of structural integrity allowing weak spots to really become compromised.

It happens time to time. I played for 15 years and I have seen probably 3-5 broken aluminum bats. Sometimes they just get warn down and hit in the wrong spot.

The only thing I could think is that when the ncaa required baseball to deaden the bats, it cost a little bit of structural integrity allowing weak spots to really become compromised.

Actually, the thinner the metal,the more velocity the ball has coming off of the bat. I have seen bats crack when used in colder weather. I don't know the temp. up there today, but the guys have played in some serious cold weather here lately. That bat may have already had a slight crack and it finally gave way today.

Actually, the thinner the metal,the more velocity the ball has coming off of the bat. I have seen bats crack when used in colder weather. I don't know the temp. up there today, but the guys have played in some serious cold weather here lately. That bat may have already had a slight crack and it finally gave way today.

link????????????

link????????????

Single-Wall Aluminum Bats

• Single-wall aluminum bats are the original type of non-wood softball bat. Because thinner sheets of aluminum alloy provide a better trampoline effect, the thinner the aluminum, the better the performance of the bat. Single wall bats are the most economical bat, but typically they are heavier and less effective. The only way to increase performance is to go with thinner sheets of metal, and that only works to the point where denting begins to occur.

http://www.ehow.com/...-bat-types.html

Ouch!!!!

That bat today didn't just crack, it broke into two pieces, pretty much like a wooden bat might have done. The barrel end wound up about halfway to 3rd base while the handle end stayed with the batter.

Temp in the low 70's at game time. All-in-all, it was a beautiful day for baseball.

alhagan14, above, says he's seen a few of these in the past but it was sure a new one on me.

It happens. I've seen it maybe a half dozen times in my many years of watching tens of thousands of at bats in baseball and fastpitch softball. Cold weather is definitely a factor. A defective bat could be a factor. A defective bat in cold weather doesn't stand a chance.

I thought yall might be interested in this short video on how Aluminum bats are made.

Pretty sure it was Blake Austin. Auburn baseball uses Louisville Slugger exclusively. Most likely was the "Attack" which is composite, but not quite wood. It's a two piece construction and the entire barrel end separated from the handle. http://www.slugger.com/baseball/aluminum/attack/attack-adult.html

2JS9_2Auburn12.jpg

I was assuming all AU hitters would be using some type of one-piece aluminum bat. If it was wood, composite or two-piece, mystery solved.

Get away from inside the lines for just a short period of time and the technology leaves you behind!

Archived