Comparing Jeremy Johnson to Cam Newton

Past:

Future:

Difference in mechanics is obvious. I like JJ's footwork and he kind of has the slinging throwing style while Cam has a natural raw flow that looks alot like what he won a BCSNC with. Only more smooth and with more purpose. He even looked raw at Blinn just super talented. My point is thanks to CGM he developed Cam into what we saw in 2010 which was the most crisp version of Cam there had been in his young career.

To see how good JJ looked against teams last year makes me believe Gus has a chance to finally take a young QB with a huge upside and mold him into proof of what a 3-4 year Gus Malzahn trained QB looks like. The situation is great for both of them. JJ's parents seem to be great people and he looks like a great young man. AU will be perfect for his attitude and that will help him to be probably one of the best leaders we've seen at AU. The future looks bright and it's great to be an Auburn Tiger!!

JJ looks very impressive. I really like the way he quickly sets and gets rid of the ball. This will help a great deal that he can make quick decisions as this is needed in the SEC.

Compating JJ to Cam would have been a better title and I politely suggest the change. It took me a minute to figure out what this thread was about. Good stuff though.

Compating JJ to Cam would have been a better title and I politely suggest the change. It took me a minute to figure out what this thread was about. Good stuff though.

Done. :)

Done. :)

Gracias kind sir.

I really like the way he throws the ball and sees the field. His flat passes were crisp and on target, refreshing to say the least. Kid has some speed when he runs the ball too. I also understand he has already put on 20 lbs working out. At some point, I don't know if it will be some time this year or next, but JJ is going to be tough to beat out with that height and his other talents.

At this stage in his development JJ is a much more polished passer. If he ends up having the same intangible intensity ie. competitive fire as Cam does he could really be something special. I have no doubt that Gus will make him better.

He really made a great decision in sticking with AU and CGM. He has the intangibles that every OC wants to see. How he transitions to the SEC from HS will be very important and I believe CGM will be very careful and patient with JJ, making sure that he puts him in positions to succeed.

I think we should avoid comparing an Auburn legend to somebody who has yet practice for the first time.

Hype casualties: Kodi Burns, Kiehl Frazier, Deangelo Benton, etc

That being said, I really like what I see in JJ's video. I don't like to watch HS highlights because you can't really tell how good somebody is due to the level of competition and only the best plays selected (I edited a few highlight videos for friends -- VERY deceiving, you can't tell how consistent they are) How tall is JJ?

I believe JJ is 6'5 or 6'6. Trying to get to 245ish by beginning of season. JJ also played against good competition. His team was in Alabama classification 6A and he played against players like Ruben Foster.

I think we should avoid comparing an Auburn legend to somebody who has yet practice for the first time.

That being said, I really like what I see in JJ's video. I don't like to watch HS highlights because you can't really tell how good somebody is due to the level of competition and only the best plays selected (I edited a few highlight videos for friends -- VERY deceiving, you can't tell how consistent they are) How tall is JJ?

i agree with this in all fronts except for the fact that "they" showed the Carver Mont. vs. Auburn High game live last year and yes I was watching Rueben more at first to see his movement and what I realized was Rueben was slower and more stiff looking than I expected. Meanwhile this giant of a young man at QB was lighting Auburn high up with no plan to let up and he didn't. He looked that good. Blew it up and was the best at almost every 7-7 camp. Has kept AU close to him since we have reached out to him and stuck with us even through the loss of a whole coaching staff. What did he do after that? Took to twitter trying to get everyone to believe in a staff he has yet to play for. SIGN HIM UP! lol

Kodi and KF had a strange first and second year at AU. Both were a part of coaching overhauls. JJ is surprisingly at the foot of the third installment of coaching changes for AU's journey for consistency. This class 6a QB has something more than most i have seen come to AU in a while and that looks to be class, size, and ability that I believe with the help of a comfortable Lashlee and Malzahn, can only get better.

Our fortunes at QB have to change. It can't be much worse. We have brought in some players that I was certain would be "The Guy". Aaaaannnkk, wrong answer! No I haven't given up on our current guys, both won a bunch everywhere but at AU so far. We have become like thUGA fans PH. (Post Herschel) It was pathetic to watch them all annoint the newest recruit "The Next Herschel" every year. The worst was a kid from Carver (Columbus, GA) I believe. He was big like HW but had none of his skills. I'm sure someone knows who I'm talking about. E? RIR? Golf? Late 80's I believe or early 90's?

Our fortunes at QB have to change. It can't be much worse. We have brought in some players that I was certain would be "The Guy". Aaaaannnkk, wrong answer! No I haven't given up on our current guys, both won a bunch everywhere but at AU so far. We have become like thUGA fans PH. (Post Herschel) It was pathetic to watch them all annoint the newest recruit "The Next Herschel" every year. The worst was a kid from Carver (Columbus, GA) I believe. He was big like HW but had none of his skills. I'm sure someone knows who I'm talking about. E? RIR? Golf? Late 80's I believe or early 90's?

Jasper Sanks?

i agree with this in all fronts except for the fact that "they" showed the Carver Mont. vs. Auburn High game live last year and yes I was watching Rueben more at first to see his movement and what I realized was Rueben was slower and more stiff looking than I expected. Meanwhile this giant of a young man at QB was lighting Auburn high up with no plan to let up and he didn't. He looked that good. Blew it up and was the best at almost every 7-7 camp. Has kept AU close to him since we have reached out to him and stuck with us even through the loss of a whole coaching staff. What did he do after that? Took to twitter trying to get everyone to believe in a staff he has yet to play for. SIGN HIM UP! lol

Kodi and KF had a strange first and second year at AU. Both were a part of coaching overhauls. JJ is surprisingly at the foot of the third installment of coaching changes for AU's journey for consistency. This class 6a QB has something more than most i have seen come to AU in a while and that looks to be class, size, and ability that I believe with the help of a comfortable Lashlee and Malzahn, can only get better.

Speaking of the JJ and Reuben standoff in the Carver-Auburn game, check out the play that starts at 1:11 and watch both of them. It shows how much speed JJ has as he puts Rueben on his heels with a fake and leaves him in the dust.

Speaking of the JJ and Reuben standoff in the Carver-Auburn game, check out the play that starts at 1:11 and watch both of them. It shows how much speed JJ has as he puts Rueben on his heels with a fake and leaves him in the dust.

In fairness Reuben was 15 to 20 pounds heavier and much slower than he was at the All star events that were later.

Dang it E let me just believe that Rueben isn't ALL THAT lol I think I remember he was playing with an injury maybe, can't remember but he was definitely a few steps slow. And nowhere near JJ when he dropped it and ran most of the night. That's another thing about Johnson I like is he looks like he finds second receivers and other options instead of just having a rabbit soul and having to scramble constantly. I think Nick Marshall may have more of the look then run style about him but both are good styles in different situations I guess. Both have cannons for arms in film. If KF could make the decision to run when it's available I could see his passing really improve. But we'll just have to see..

Dang it E let me just believe that Rueben isn't ALL THAT lol I think I remember he was playing with an injury maybe, can't remember but he was definitely a few steps slow. And nowhere near JJ when he dropped it and ran most of the night. That's another thing about Johnson I like is he looks like he finds second receivers and other options instead of just having a rabbit soul and having to scramble constantly. I think Nick Marshall may have more of the look then run style about him but both are good styles in different situations I guess. Both have cannons for arms in film. If KF could make the decision to run when it's available I could see his passing really improve. But we'll just have to see..

I just watched JJ's hudl highlights from his senior year again and 1 thing concerns me. He likes to throw to the wide side of the field quite a bit. That is dangerous, especially if a D is expecting it.

In fairness Reuben was 15 to 20 pounds heavier and much slower than he was at the All star events that were later.

@$%* fairness. I know what I saw. ;D

@$%* fairness. I know what I saw. ;D

:P I saw it too. :moon:

Damn that kid is fast.

Jasper Sanks?

Thank you.

His competitive spirit is one of if not his strongest trait.

This was the first video I have seen of JJ, but I do like what I see. He seems to have all the tools. I was and still am hoping he wil redshirt so he can get acclumated to the college game, but this guy seems to be the REAL DEAL.

fwiw, Rivals et al had Cam 5 star propspect in 2007, Rivals had JJ 3 stars and a couple others had him 4 stars. Thought ya'll might enjoy seeing the photo that accompanied Cam's 2007 recruiting profile.

Rivals Rating5 stars

RANKINGS POSITION NATIONAL STATE 2 28 2 Rivals Rating 6.1

CAMERONNEWTON1_18150.JPG

Archived