Last 5 Years In One Inning

I guess it's fun to pick out one play of a game....and then spend a couple days "reading minds of players and coaches" in an attempt to make everyone involved look stupid, incompetent or both. ......and ignore the twenty+ times this past season when the team came from behind to win ballgames. Or, consider that during the last five weeks, when every game was an elimination game, they won four important series against higher rated teams. JMO but someone on the coaching staff deserves some recognition for turning this team around after the first several weeks of the season. Two pitchers who were expected to carry the load as starters (Koger and Kendall) eventually disappeared from the line-ups. Koger started as our Friday night ace and Kendall never recovered from his surgery and a couple others just never were able to contribute. Eventually others took the load but it takes a few disappointing performances before a manager will seat one of his starters. Likewise a couple outfield starters were eventually replaced after their bats never got warm. And when the Gators came back and won game #2, the Tigers showed more guts than about 90% of the people posting on this board.... and came back to win game #3....in Gainesville. Congrats to the Tigers......hope to see them in the NCAA...but if not, War Eagle anyway.

This team is gutsy and deserves much better coaching. They'd never get it if it were up to you. You have multiple excuses for every blunder the coaches make. The bottom line is that 5 years after his arrival this team looks like the exact same mess he inherited, if not worse. This thread is a testimony to that and it bothers you. Cry me a river. You and a few others here need to grow some thicker skin.

This team is gutsy and deserves much better coaching. They'd never get it if it were up to you. You have multiple excuses for every blunder the coaches make. The bottom line is that 5 years after his arrival this team looks like the exact same mess he inherited, if not worse. This thread is a testimony to that and it bothers you. Cry me a river. You and a few others here need to grow some thicker skin.

Gee sorry it bothers you so much that everyone does not agree with you. If JP is fired, so be it....but this selective criticism is such crap....I watch a ton of baseball and any given night in the majors you see the same questionable managerial decisions...and seems to me that some folks are just looking for stuff to nit--pick. Complain about the W-L not being good enough or players not improving from one year to the next...show some stats or whatever..., but forget this play by play analysis...JMO it proves nothing and sounds trite.

So you're okay with some complaining about generalities (record, lack of improvement, stats) but don't give you specifics, eh? The focus of this thread is what the title says. Some have posted it over the course of the season as "SSDD". It was a bad call at a bad time to make it. To me, it looks as though Pawlowski did not realize there were two strikes on Savage when he made the call. If not that play then move ahead to the bottom of the first when Bama had runners on second and third with one out. By way of the "runner hung up" play in the top half, he had already made it clear he expected it to be a low scoring game. At that juncture with that mental mind-set I would think we would move the infield in and try to keep the runner at third from scoring. I realize it's probably a little early to be that aggressive, but JP had already panicked. So we play back and the next batter hits a ball on the ground that Yak fields and can only go to first. He gets the out, but the runner scores. But please, forget the specifics and just know (in general) that there is no consistency to how Pawlowski seems to handle this team. EVER.

Gee sorry it bothers you so much that everyone does not agree with you. If JP is fired, so be it....but this selective criticism is such crap....I watch a ton of baseball and any given night in the majors you see the same questionable managerial decisions...and seems to me that some folks are just looking for stuff to nit--pick. Complain about the W-L not being good enough or players not improving from one year to the next...show some stats or whatever..., but forget this play by play analysis...JMO it proves nothing and sounds trite.

Sorry 64, but that is just not true. You see a mental mistake every now and then, but not from the same team over and over again. Nobody is saying Coach Paw is a bad person, or I haven't seen that. It's just many see no rhyme or reason to his madness.

I'm fine with someone supporting what they want. If you have a problem with this thread, I'd suggest avoiding it. Lots of people have enjoyed and participated. The entire premise of the thread is that this one inning is a microcosm of CP's stint here, and many are in agreement on that.

You always blather on about how these plays/decisions happen every night in mlb, which is irrelevant. They happen on every ballfield in America at various times. When people are paid to coach and it seems to always happen on their watch and their teams continuously underperform, they get canned.

For somone who'll be fine if JP goes, you sure do a lot of mental gymnastics to defend him.

I guess it's fun to pick out one play of a game....and then spend a couple days "reading minds of players and coaches" in an attempt to make everyone involved look stupid, incompetent or both. ......and ignore the twenty+ times this past season when the team came from behind to win ballgames. Or, consider that during the last five weeks, when every game was an elimination game, they won four important series against higher rated teams. JMO but someone on the coaching staff deserves some recognition for turning this team around after the first several weeks of the season. Two pitchers who were expected to carry the load as starters (Koger and Kendall) eventually disappeared from the line-ups. Koger started as our Friday night ace and Kendall never recovered from his surgery and a couple others just never were able to contribute. Eventually others took the load but it takes a few disappointing performances before a manager will seat one of his starters. Likewise a couple outfield starters were eventually replaced after their bats never got warm. And when the Gators came back and won game #2, the Tigers showed more guts than about 90% of the people posting on this board.... and came back to win game #3....in Gainesville. Congrats to the Tigers......hope to see them in the NCAA...but if not, War Eagle anyway.

I actually agree with your analysis, pretty much how I have seen it. I can't speak to Pawlowski's previous seasons, I will leave that up to the subject matter experts here. However, given the analysis you have presented, it would have been tough on any coach this year, especially with the pitching situation becoming totally different from what I am sure they were anticipating. Koger and Kendall not panning out and having to turn to Kendrick, Oneal and Dedrick, all JC transfers probably wasn't in anyone's plan. I'm sure They planned on Glevenyak and Tella to hit much better also. That would mess up anyone's plan. That being said, overall I would agree with most of the decisions and changes that had to be made, but I had some serious concerns about 2 decisions in particular at the tournament. The play being discussed wasn't one of them. One,I thought Self chould have started at short for defensive purposes primarily. And second, given that Carter had retired 7 in a row before an IF grounder was pulled to the hole, I would have left him another batter or 2. His slider was great and had batters reaching. I know Dedrick has been good in these situations but my immediate thought was let Carter go a little more and and as a bonus we could use Dedrick the next day. But it is easy to coach from the stands. Like I said, I can only speak for what I have seen this year and certainly am no College Coach. I really do hope the boys can get another shot in a regional, baseball is stranger than fiction.

I guess it's fun to pick out one play of a game....

Here's what I posted in #19, above:

Snafu on the bases, check.

Outfielder misses cutoff man with throw, check.

Infielder fails to have foot on bag for a force out, check.

Infield errors and near-errors that allow runs, check.

Pitcher that is going great guns gets taken out because an infielder makes a bad throw, check.

That's not one play.

I posted a list very similar to this BEFORE the game ever started. That's because these things can be seen with great regularity every time a Pawloski coached team takes the field. So frequently, in fact, that it's possible to predict these things will happen and be correct. Nobody is talking about one play or even one game or one series. We're talking about consistent SNAFUs for five years and no sign of learning or improvement from the coaching department.

You might see one major league team make one of these mistakes. You won't see the same team making the same mistakes, game after game, year after year. That comparison doesn't hold water.

JP had to go. Now lets see if JJ has enough guts to hire a big time winner or he hires somebody within the Auburn Family.

Archived