SEC Teleconference - Barbee

RunInRed

And to Mickey for us to win Jacobs has to hire a coach who has enough cred and guts to tell JJ if you ever expect to win and you want me to take this damn job drop under armor tommorrow.

I am one of the Barbee haters, but I am going to drink the Kool Aid, I live here in town and will be at most of the games, we have a pretty good pre conference schedule. If Barbee suxes it up again, we always have Coach Flo, to pull. But my question is to AUgrad00, I hear this Under armor thing and just do not get why it is such a detriment to the program, I understand the that not being able to have a relationship with that AAU coach here in Alabama is somewhat a problem, I do understand that and think it is way overblown. Fill me in on the under armor I am sure somewhere it has been hashed a few dozen times, but no one really put an example with the problem.

The problem is this under armor is not a player in AAU. Shoe companies really control basketball recruiting.

Here is a shining example. http://www.dukechron...04/it-all-shoes

Furthermore these are Division 1 schools that have UA as shoe companies:

Auburn University, University of Delaware, University of Hawaiʻi, University of Maryland, University of North Texas, University of South Carolina,University of South Florida, Southern Illinois University, Texas Tech University, University of New Hampshire, and University of Utah.

Now how many are relevent in basketball? That pure coincidence?

How many were relevant in BB before they went to UA? Essentially none of them.

Actually Maryland was a powerhouse you think its coincidence their period of irrelevance begun when under armor became a shoe provider? South Carolina, Texas Tech and Utah all have had some success in the postseason. None have since under armor.

Does anyone honeslty think Russell was any better?

The bottom line is 11-19 . Most of the 19 players Barbee recruited were decent players he has the gift of gab and even had some big time players looking at Auburn. The problem is that either that Barbee only looked at Basketball Talent and not the whole man (Including Character) or that his on the floor coaching style and practice style drives players away. A team must slowly build a nucleaus and a cohesiveness to become a single unit on the floor many mid-level conference teams do that with players of similar talent to what we have recruited.

UA versus Nile could and probably does hurt recruiting but since the majority of the NCAA teams use Nike or Addidas both good teams and bad teams the shoe company is not the whole story. Maybe I am wrong and Barbee has just been unbievable unlucky with his recruits or maybe he is part of the problem. I am still hoping I am wrong but if at the end of this next season I again see a really bad product on the floor and the player exodus continues then Barbee needs to go.

Yes we are a football school and yes I agree that Jay Jacobs probably doesn't give Barbee enough support. That said we have some positives that a good coach could use to his advantage. Becuse of the Football team we have great training faciliites that all the athletes at Auburn use, great weight rooms, strenghth coaches, a brand new State of the Art Basketball Facility, the same great campus and students that attract football players and swimmers, etc should attractt Basketball Players. We have some ex NBA Players who would love to help Auburn. Now lets compare Auburn to much smaller schools with older facilities that don't recruit 3*, 4* and 5* Players and yet not only make it to the NCAA but win a couple of rounds. If they can do it Auburn should be able to do it.

If we have a decent team this year (win about half our SEC games and show some tenacity, defense, and teamwork) and we don't have another mass player exodus then we give him another year or two. If not I believe it is time to look for another coach.

Once again.....Coach Barbee did not let the program slide into the abyss. He is NOT the cause of AU's basketball problems.He INHERITED that mess. AU allowed that to happen long before CTB took the job. He's just trying to rebuild, and he had to start from less than nothing. If you think he has had enough time....you are not being honest or objective about how bad things were when he got to AU, and how hard of a job it will be to get AU back to respectability. It's still too soon to tell if he can do it or not, but why not support his effort? It took guts to take on a program as neglected as AU's basketball program has been.

Amen!

Once again.....Coach Barbee did not let the program slide into the abyss. He is NOT the cause of AU's basketball problems.He INHERITED that mess. AU allowed that to happen long before CTB took the job. He's just trying to rebuild, and he had to start from less than nothing. If you think he has had enough time....you are not being honest or objective about how bad things were when he got to AU, and how hard of a job it will be to get AU back to respectability. It's still too soon to tell if he can do it or not, but why not support his effort? It took guts to take on a program as neglected as AU's basketball program has been.

Tell me, how long will this excuse be valid? Another 3 years? At some point the excuses have to stop and the person at the top has to take responsibility.

Archived