SEC Teleconference - Barbee

RunInRed

580163_10151675160109894_585796612_n.jpg

Todd Van Emst photo

Auburn coach Tony Barbee on SEC basketball teleconference: "I think we've upgraded our roster in a lot of ways."

Auburn basketball coach Tony Barbee on the SEC: "I think this is a bounce-back year for us."

Auburn basketball will head to The Bahamas in August. "I think it's a great time to develop some chemistry," says Tony Barbee.

@AUGoldMine

***Barbee said he's excited about this upcoming season, likes the mindset of a returning group of veteran players and thinks the newcomers have upgraded the roster in many ways including size, talent and length.

***Barbee said they were fortunate to add a point guard as talented as Malcolm Canada this late in the recruiting process. He feels like Canada is a great compliment to Tahj Shamsid-Deen at the point guard position and the pair is an upgrade to previous years.

***Barbee said they will go to the Bahamas in August for a tournament. The detail of who and when they will play haven't been finalized yet.

***Barbee still has a few games left to add to complete Auburn's 2013-14 schedule but is happy with non-conference schedule that will include games against Illinois, Clemson and the Big East-SEC Challenge.

@BMatt247 | http://auburn.247spo...pic/42/19492039 (free content)

cue haters in 3....2.....1.....

I would be one of whom you are speaking. The only problem is that I'm not hating. I'm speaking truth about the situation that Barbee has put himself in.

I hope this is a bounce back season. However, it's still hard to believe that we are bouncing back from a season where we had three returning starting seniors.

Most coaches would relish the opportunity to allow youngsters to develop behind that experience. I'm still not sure who we have or what they will do in the heat of the battle.

Once again.....Coach Barbee did not let the program slide into the abyss. He is NOT the cause of AU's basketball problems.He INHERITED that mess. AU allowed that to happen long before CTB took the job. He's just trying to rebuild, and he had to start from less than nothing. If you think he has had enough time....you are not being honest or objective about how bad things were when he got to AU, and how hard of a job it will be to get AU back to respectability. It's still too soon to tell if he can do it or not, but why not support his effort? It took guts to take on a program as neglected as AU's basketball program has been.

Define "bounce back season."

10 wins? :dunno:/>

NIT. 500ish in league play. Not losing 30 games again.

Once again.....Coach Barbee did not let the program slide into the abyss. He is NOT the cause of AU's basketball problems.He INHERITED that mess. AU allowed that to happen long before CTB took the job. He's just trying to rebuild, and he had to start from less than nothing. If you think he has had enough time....you are not being honest or objective about how bad things were when he got to AU, and how hard of a job it will be to get AU back to respectability. It's still too soon to tell if he can do it or not, but why not support his effort? It took guts to take on a program as neglected as AU's basketball program has been.

Agreed...Surprised Mikey hasn't ripped your post in shreds yet

In the third year under Barbee the program won fewer games than it did the year before Barbee arrived and he arrived here because we weren't winning enough. He was hired to improve things and instead the team has gone further down. I don't need to rip anything to shreds, the shreds are hanging there for all to see.

When Price and Greene left the team, making that 11 of 19 Barbee signees that have jumped ship, my last hope for Barbee succeeding here departed. Now we're just marking time until the end of next season so that when he's fired the throngs will be mollified into saying he had enough time.

There's a coach out there somewhere that can win at Auburn and there's a school where Barbee can win. However, when Barbee came to Auburn it was a case of the wrong guy in the wrong place.

Okay I am with Mikey Lets just tell the truth Auburn absolutely sucked last year. We should show progress we didn't. When 11 of 19 players he signed left who is the common denominator- Coach Barbee.

Jordan Price and Greene were good young players there gone. Seagers lasted longer at Rutgers under abusive coach then at AU.

In a nutshell this is my two cents- Auburn has a loud mouth arrogant jerk who has never really won and the players don't like, leading a basketball program at a university that fails to recognize they don't provide all the tools for a coach to be successful and neither are willing to change.

Not to be negative under this coach and and this AD and this President (he played basketball for heavens sake he should care) I see no hope for Auburn basketball. F'ing nice arena that will never see good basketball for a long time sadly.

And to Mickey for us to win Jacobs has to hire a coach who has enough cred and guts to tell JJ if you ever expect to win and you want me to take this damn job drop under armor tommorrow.

And to Mickey for us to win Jacobs has to hire a coach who has enough cred and guts to tell JJ if you ever expect to win and you want me to take this damn job drop under armor tommorrow.

I am one of the Barbee haters, but I am going to drink the Kool Aid, I live here in town and will be at most of the games, we have a pretty good pre conference schedule. If Barbee suxes it up again, we always have Coach Flo, to pull. But my question is to AUgrad00, I hear this Under armor thing and just do not get why it is such a detriment to the program, I understand the that not being able to have a relationship with that AAU coach here in Alabama is somewhat a problem, I do understand that and think it is way overblown. Fill me in on the under armor I am sure somewhere it has been hashed a few dozen times, but no one really put an example with the problem.

I am one of the Barbee haters, but I am going to drink the Kool Aid, I live here in town and will be at most of the games, we have a pretty good pre conference schedule. If Barbee suxes it up again, we always have Coach Flo, to pull. But my question is to AUgrad00, I hear this Under armor thing and just do not get why it is such a detriment to the program, I understand the that not being able to have a relationship with that AAU coach here in Alabama is somewhat a problem, I do understand that and think it is way overblown. Fill me in on the under armor I am sure somewhere it has been hashed a few dozen times, but no one really put an example with the problem.

The problem is this under armor is not a player in AAU. Shoe companies really control basketball recruiting.

Here is a shining example. http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2012/10/04/it-all-shoes

Furthermore these are Division 1 schools that have UA as shoe companies:

Auburn University, University of Delaware, University of Hawaiʻi, University of Maryland, University of North Texas, University of South Carolina,University of South Florida, Southern Illinois University, Texas Tech University, University of New Hampshire, and University of Utah.

Now how many are relevent in basketball? That pure coincidence?

The problem is this under armor is not a player in AAU. Shoe companies really control basketball recruiting.

Here is a shining example. http://www.dukechron...04/it-all-shoes

Auburn University, University of Delaware, University of Hawaiʻi, University of Maryland, University of North Texas, University of South Carolina,University of South Florida, Southern Illinois University, Texas Tech University, University of New Hampshire, and University of Utah.

Thanks Besides free shoes, How much does UA pay the AU basketball program? And how does that compare with Nike and Adidas? Sorry to throw so much at you, I am just curious, it still does not get me to fully understand Barbee problems, which I think have a lot to do with player development. No coach I have ever seen in person is so quick to pull a player in game, and we just play bad defense, which I believe is mostly coaching. I will agree with you this shoe stuff is serious, just wondering about the dollar amounts.

It takes a combination of the right coach being able to impose his will and direction and a group of players that will buy into what the coach is selling. I will offer up Billy Gillispie during his time at Texas A&M. When he got there in 2004, the Aggies had not had a postseason appearance of any sort since 1994 and no NCAA appearances since 1987...7 of the previous 15 seasons were 20-loss seasons. Their cumulative record in Big XII conference play was 25-111 (includes never winning a conference tournament game) and the year before he arrived, A&M went 0-for-the season in Big XII play.

They went to the NIT his first season and the NCAAs in his next two. Now, his first team featured two future NBA lottery picks, but those same two guys were part of a historically bad season. There was talent, but no direction. Gillispie worked them hard, broke them down to build them back up and, most importantly, got them in a winning mindset early on. They weren't a gifted offensive team, but they guarded you hard and ground out wins.

If you've got the right guy in place, especially in college basketball, it doesn't take that long to get to respectability (three years is plenty of time to show progress...plenty) and you don't have to have NBA talent to get there. After three years, we are no closer to respectability than we were when Barbee was hired. The constant player turnover, even now, is a concern. Some of it is understandable in the first year, maybe even two, but there should be a nucleus of players to build around in any event and that nucleus isn't there. He's our guy for this season and I hope he gets it figured out.

Okay I am with Mikey Lets just tell the truth Auburn absolutely sucked last year. We should show progress we didn't. When 11 of 19 players he signed left who is the common denominator- Coach Barbee.

Jordan Price and Greene were good young players there gone. Seagers lasted longer at Rutgers under abusive coach then at AU.

In a nutshell this is my two cents- Auburn has a loud mouth arrogant jerk who has never really won and the players don't like, leading a basketball program at a university that fails to recognize they don't provide all the tools for a coach to be successful and neither are willing to change.

Not to be negative under this coach and and this AD and this President (he played basketball for heavens sake he should care) I see no hope for Auburn basketball. F'ing nice arena that will never see good basketball for a long time sadly.

"Never really won"...Not sure how you are getting those words. He won when he was in college, won when he was an assistant, and won previously at UTEP... He has won everywhere he has been except here so far.

How many were relevant in BB before they went to UA? Essentially none of them.

Thanks Besides free shoes, How much does UA pay the AU basketball program? And how does that compare with Nike and Adidas? Sorry to throw so much at you, I am just curious, it still does not get me to fully understand Barbee problems, which I think have a lot to do with player development. No coach I have ever seen in person is so quick to pull a player in game, and we just play bad defense, which I believe is mostly coaching. I will agree with you this shoe stuff is serious, just wondering about the dollar amounts.

Honestly who cares about the pay Auburn signed up with under armor as a football move they had little concern for the impact it had with basektball.

You have a program that has not been to the NCAA tournament in ten years, a lousy fan base, a football school and a under armor school its very difficult to win at.

So how did Pearl do so well at UT with not being affiliated with Nike?

Let me educate the masses they have adidas which is another shoe company that sponsors a large amount of AAU teams. Nike isnt the only shoe company in the AAU game so is adidas. And if you read the above link I posted a kid choose UCLA over Duke in the recruiting process BECAUSE of adidas.

"Never really won"...Not sure how you are getting those words. He won when he was in college, won when he was an assistant, and won previously at UTEP... He has won everywhere he has been except here so far.

He won 24 games once at UTEP. A blind squirrel can find a nut. UTEP is also a Nike schiool unless I am mistaken.

How many were relevant in BB before they went to UA? Essentially none of them.

Actually Maryland was a powerhouse you think its coincidence their period of irrelevance begun when under armor became a shoe provider? South Carolina, Texas Tech and Utah all have had some success in the postseason. None have since under armor.

He won 24 games once at UTEP. A blind squirrel can find a nut. UTEP is also a Nike schiool unless I am mistaken.

He left UTEP a lot stronger then when he go there. He was successful. That is the bottom line. UTEP hated to see him leave, and I don't care if they were a no name brand school or a "Nike school". People are acting like if you are Nike school, then you automatically win. Wrong.

Here is a shining example.
http://www.dukechron...04/it-all-shoes

Honestly who cares about the pay Auburn signed up with under armor as a football move they had little concern for the impact it had with basektball.

You have a program that has not been to the NCAA tournament in ten years, a lousy fan base, a football school and a under armor school its very difficult to win at.

Hey I agree with you on everything except the fan base, with half decent scheduling and during conference play our fan support has been outstanding considering the product on the floor. I am a firm believer that if we were a .500 team even, we would be at near capacity crowds at conference and reasonable out of conf. game. During the Women's NIT this past year we put 3000 in the stands, there is large, including me local base in the Auburn area that love to go to the games. In addition the student section is packed every game. Now another year like last year, it could get ugly, we just have to compete.

Here is a shining example.
http://www.dukechron...04/it-all-shoes

Hey I agree with you on everything except the fan base, with half decent scheduling and during conference play our fan support has been outstanding considering the product on the floor. I am a firm believer that if we were a .500 team even, we would be at near capacity crowds at conference and reasonable out of conf. game. During the Women's NIT this past year we put 3000 in the stands, there is large, including me local base in the Auburn area that love to go to the games. In addition the student section is packed every game. Now another year like last year, it could get ugly, we just have to compete.

^^This^^. Just field a decent and competitive team and the crowd will be there. How can a fan base be "lousy" when we just fielded arguably the two worst teams in school history? Losing 30 games will hinder any schools fan base to a very large extent.

Archived