I hope and pray Nick Marshall or Jeremy Johnson...

TigerWar

The best man will win out. Coach Malzahn didn't sign a junior college QB just so he can ride the bench.

So should we assume all of the JUCOs will start?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I did notice while watching A Day that passes from KF were dropped from Reed, Coates, Fulse, and Trimble. The pass to Trimble was higher than it should be and Fulse was hit, but both should be made. That being said, I notice that his screen passes are being made too high and sometimes delayed (which is a problem due to the fact that he doesn't have the quickest release). Meanwhile, I just don't see JW's ceiling being high enough to be a quality SEC QB.The point I'm getting to is that KF's problems appear to be easier to fix for Gus than JW's. I see this race coming down to NM and KF. I will give the edge to NM under the condition that he can learn the playbook well enough for the first game. Either way, I see him being our quarterback by the second half of the Arky St. game. Unless the switch comes on for KF, I like our chances better with NM leading the team into the SEC schedule.

The best man will win out. Coach Malzahn didn't sign a junior college QB just so he can ride the bench.

What player has any school ever signed just to ride the bench?

Quite possibly the best post I have ever seen. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I'm all for good discussion (and it's slow right now) but these 'rehashing the QB' threads are getting ridiculous.

Exactly.

The really comical thing about this thread is that there are actually people using the A-day game as a measuring stick for a QB's ability. :dunno:/> :banghead:/> All you have to do is look at 2010 for an example of the ridiculousness of using A-day as a measuring stick.

The other EXTREMELY shortsighted bashing of our returning QB's is baffling as well. In 2011, Frazier was put in the game in very specific circumstances where he rarely threw the ball at all. I believe he had 12 throws the entire season. Then in 2012, we had a COMPLETE team breakdown where the ONLY player that actually did anything well (particularly on offense) was Tre Mason. It just amazes me that people use the 2011 and the 2012 seasons as a measuring stick to vilify our current QB's. They aren't nearly as bad as most here are making them out to be. They are absolutely a victim of circumstance and nothing more.

I agree but only somewhat.

You are asking us to ignore KF's freshman year performance, His 2012 performance where he was benched for a 3 star freshman QB, and his A Day performance where he had ZERO pressure of being hit by a pass rush.

Really????

All of that does not matter at all?

For the record, I am a KF guy and I think he has more upside than anyone on the team right now (except for possibly JJ). But I walked out of A Day VERY DEPRESSED about next year.

Please please please KF prove me wrong.

Man people just keep beating this NM as starting QB idea to death. I do not care who the QB is. I will be happy with whoever the coaches choose but what I do not get is how everyone here is so determined to make that person NM. I believe that Marshal was brought over to compete for a starting job but why so many people here are sure it will be him is just crazy to me. At no point in his career as he ever had the numbers Frazier had in high school and his D2 collegiate career numbers are not staggering either. If you look at his TD to INT ratio it looks a lot like what we have seen at QB playing against SEC defense and he played Garden City Community College type defenses. People here keep saying Gus can fix his INT problems, well why not Fraziers or Wallace? I really do not care who is finally tapped to lead our team but I am not writing off our current guys just because I am scared of what has happened in the past. Jason Campbell was never the same QB before as he was a as a senior. I hope that is the type of turnaround our current guys have. I think Wallace will be the starter when the season opens but if he is not so be it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am in no way saying that it is wrong. All I am saying is that too many are not giving our guys the respect they deserve.

:hellyeah::bow::clap::happydance::yay:

I'm all for good discussion (and it's slow right now) but these 'rehashing the QB' threads are getting ridiculous.

Exactly.

The really comical thing about this thread is that there are actually people using the A-day game as a measuring stick for a QB's ability. :dunno:/> :banghead:/> All you have to do is look at 2010 for an example of the ridiculousness of using A-day as a measuring stick.

The other EXTREMELY shortsighted bashing of our returning QB's is baffling as well. In 2011, Frazier was put in the game in very specific circumstances where he rarely threw the ball at all. I believe he had 12 throws the entire season. Then in 2012, we had a COMPLETE team breakdown where the ONLY player that actually did anything well (particularly on offense) was Tre Mason. It just amazes me that people use the 2011 and the 2012 seasons as a measuring stick to vilify our current QB's. They aren't nearly as bad as most here are making them out to be. They are absolutely a victim of circumstance and nothing more.

You are asking us to ignore KF's freshman year performance, His 2012 performance where he was benched for a 3 star freshman QB, and his A Day performance where he had ZERO pressure of being hit by a pass rush.

Really????

For the record, I am a KF guy and I think he has more upside than anyone on the team right now (except for possibly JJ). But I walked out of A Day VERY DEPRESSED about next year.

Anything that has been a factor in KF's low confidence does matter no matter what we think. So if KF's freshman year has contributed to his mental issues we can't just dismiss it and throw it out the window. The reality is if that year does play a factor the Kiehl himself is the one that will have dismiss it before we cam.

Well, I think what he is saying that JUCO players are generally signed to help address immediate needs. Gus has said he thinks NM can come in " and give them a chance right away" Most folks understand that any incoming freshman that contributes right away is considered a bonus because lets be honest, most do not. When people say that NM wasn't signed to come in and ride the bench there are several factors driving that perspective. 1st is how poorly our QB play has been the last couple years, 2nd the kind of athlete NM is and what he could bring to Gus' offense. It seems to me that Gus felt he had a need at QB and signed NM to see if he could fill that need. We'll see if he's as good as advertised because the best one will definitely play.

When was NM ORIGINALLY supposed to arrive at Auburn? Maybe the coaches thought he would enroll in time for Spring practice. With him having maybe 5 weeks with the coaches during fall, I can't see him showing enough to start against Wazzu...

I just get a feeling that all three (KF, JW, and NM; I expect JJ to redshirt) will all see playing time in the first 2 or 3 games before there is a final starter who takes the first and most snaps of the remaining games. And don't forget, that regardless of who starts, we are just one play away from the "starter" being out due to injury and the second/third string QB in the rest of the game. So I hope all of them are ready and capable.

Thats a good possibility insofar as seeing all of them early. That would be an interesting departure from what Gus has done in the past. Typically, he names the guy and doesn't do much substituting unless it becomes necessary.

Depending on whether the games are going our way and considering the unique situation, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some game time auditioning going on in the first 2 games before we hit the SEC schedule.

I really can't see it happening any other way IMO. Unless someone just blows the Staff away and totally seperates, they will likely all three (NM, KF & JW) see some time depending on the degree of initial success. It's gonna be fun no matter what and I for one am more excited this year than I was heading into 2011.

Exactly.

The really comical thing about this thread is that there are actually people using the A-day game as a measuring stick for a QB's ability. :dunno::banghead: All you have to do is look at 2010 for an example of the ridiculousness of using A-day as a measuring stick.

:bow: :bow: :bow::hail: :hail: :hail:

When was NM ORIGINALLY supposed to arrive at Auburn? Maybe the coaches thought he would enroll in time for Spring practice. With him having maybe 5 weeks with the coaches during fall, I can't see him showing enough to start against Wazzu...

Never before the Summer June term. He was never a Spring Enrolle candidatee.

Well, I think what he is saying that JUCO players are generally signed to help address immediate needs. Gus has said he thinks NM can come in " and give them a chance right away" Most folks understand that any incoming freshman that contributes right away is considered a bonus because lets be honest, most do not. When people say that NM wasn't signed to come in and ride the bench there are several factors driving that perspective. 1st is how poorly our QB play has been the last couple years, 2nd the kind of athlete NM is and what he could bring to Gus' offense. It seems to me that Gus felt he had a need at QB and signed NM to see if he could fill that need. We'll see if he's as good as advertised because the best one will definitely play.

I know what he was saying and If you recall I have said the same thing many times and was probably the first one to say it. I thought gAUlf's post was hilarious so I replied.

Exactly.

Really????

In my opinion you can't simply just ignore everything and sweep it under the rug. That would be an awesome way to always make sure your opinion is the "right" opinion though. Ha!

Here is QB race how I see it: Right now, it is a tie at the top between all 4 QBs. Yes KF and JW went through spring practice, and that is fantastic that they were able to do so, but neither separated himself from the other. IMO by the time Wazzu comes to town KF will be ahead of JW, but not by much, and JW will continue to work and compete because thats just the kind of guy he is.

Of the 2 incoming QBs, I think that JJ has more untapped potential, and I would like to see him redshirted. I think that if he can get a year of college under his belt, get adjusted to college life, classes, and workouts, and really let Rhett and Gus mold him into the superstar that I believe he can be. I also want to point out that in his college coaching career, Gus has never had a QB in his system for more than 1 year. They have all either been seniors, 1-and-dones, or Gus moved jobs. He has had a huge impact on QB's wherever he has been (Chris Todd, Ryan Aplin, etc.).

People on this board like to think that they know more than the coaches. Rhett specifically said in an interview (paraphrasing here) "If you think you know who the QB is or if you think that we know, you're wrong." People like to think that the coaches can fix one players problems, but refuse refuse to believe that they can fix another players issues.

Gus and Rhett are going to play the best QB on 8/31. They don't know who that is right now. Fall practice hasn't started yet. We will know soon enough. Period. End of story. Let's move on.

I know what he was saying and If you recall I have said the same thing many times and was probably the first one to say it. I thought gAUlf's post was hilarious so I replied.

I do what I can ;)

..........................Gus and Rhett are going to play the best QB on 8/31. They don't know who that is right now. Fall practice hasn't started yet. We will know soon enough. Period. End of story. Let's move on.

Yep, Gus and Rhett will let the level of performance of each QB as of mid-August lead to the decision. It really is as simple as that.

..........................Gus and Rhett are going to play the best QB on 8/31. They don't know who that is right now. Fall practice hasn't started yet. We will know soon enough. Period. End of story. Let's move on.

Yep, Gus and Rhett will let the level of performance of each QB as of mid-August lead to the decision. It really is as simple as that.

At least for the short term.

At least for the short term.

Yes and that is why I think we will still see some auditioning still going on in the first two games when Gus is able to see them perform in a live tackle situation. Whoever gets the mid-August nod for the job will have to keep it.

Why must we be thought of "AGAINST" a certain QB because we think one is better? We are Auburn. It is not a matter of choosing sides,but having an opinion. My opinion also is neither Kiehl nor Wallace played well in the Spring game and neither or better than just average QB'S. But,seeing Marshall's video my opinion is he will be the spark that is needed to ignite this offense. We will not know until practice begins. And also Johnson has not been seen yet in action,so we will see what he can do this fall also. If neither QB can not separate himself then we are in trouble. We need kiehl or Wallace to improve greatly or someone better to come along.

Why must we be thought of "AGAINST" a certain QB because we think one is better? We are Auburn. It is not a matter of choosing sides,but having an opinion. My opinion also is neither Kiehl nor Wallace played well in the Spring game and neither or better than just average QB'S. But,seeing Marshall's video my opinion is he will be the spark that is needed to ignite this offense. We will not know until practice begins. And also Johnson has not been seen yet in action,so we will see what he can do this fall also. If neither QB can not separate himself then we are in trouble. We need kiehl or Wallace to improve greatly or someone better to come along.

This was my point exactly. No need for all the negatives about players that haven't done anything seriously "wrong". They may not have performed at a level that we have been accustomed to in the past, but to be honest, nobody in that offense played up to their potential (and yes, I mean nobody. I think Tre would have done a lot better in a different offense).

NM will start at QB unless he doesnt learn the playbook, thats the only competition he has right now! If u want to know how gus feels about our starting qb just go back and listen about a couple a months ago when he was showing film on our incoming players for this yr! U could tell immediately how Gus felt about how NM fits in this offense! Not word for word but gus made this comment; "ur gonna like him" , and at one particular moment in the film he said this is something U CANT TEACH! Now, do that sound like someone excited about a certain qb or what? WDE

NM will start at QB unless he doesnt learn the playbook, thats the only competition he has right now! If u want to know how gus feels about our starting qb just go back and listen about a couple a months ago when he was showing film on our incoming players for this yr! U could tell immediately how Gus felt about how NM fits in this offense! Not word for word but gus made this comment; "ur gonna like him" , and at one particular moment in the film he said this is something U CANT TEACH! Now, do that sound like someone excited about a certain qb or what? WDE

I'm sorry I just can't take your argument seriously when you use words like "ur" and "u" and make statements like "do that sound"

Archived