Its very frustrating

benjazz

Being an Auburn alum and a UAB fan since I moved to B'ham in 1986, I must say that I am happy for the young man. I hope he does well for coach Hasse. He is building something up there and I hope that both programs can get back to playing great basketball. Auburn and UAB do have one thing that will forever join them...their disdain for UAT!!! My wife went to Bama and she understands that as much as I dislike Bama as an AU grad, I despise it for how the powers that be have done all they can to keep UAB down. I was there when Bama had to play and thankfully lose to my Blazers in basketball. The Bahr couldn't stop that one from beyond the grave!!! 58-56. I still have a t-shirt commemorating the victory. I still wear it from time to time at UAB games and people absolutely love it!!! War Eagle and go Blazers!!

No you don't because you are in DENIAL about AU's program. Time to take an unbiased look. Not too many kids with great talent will come to AU right now. It's just not a dream destination right now for bb players. Face it. The fans are clueless and want to fire Barbee before he even gets his feet under him, and say so loudly and publicly, not to mention JJ...so there's the belief that there's no fan support for the program. Plus AU has been in the basement for the last 7-8 years. The program is basically being TOTALLY REBUILT and it will take YEARS before AU gets respect again. Barbee knows this, and he knows he's fighting an uphill battle with recruiting. He has to pick his battles.

And yes...you could do much,much worse because you don't get it.

This post is such BS. Barbee cant sell. Recruiting is sales. You think Caipari (even though I cant stand him) was the coach your take would not change?

Pal we want to fire Barbee because they won nine freaking games last year. When you have .500 talent and you win 9 games your coaches are coaching the talent down. That isnt ignorant fans thats very intelligent fans that understand the situation.

I mean do you really think that team maxed out their talent winning 9 games??

If the answer is yes then Barbee is a horrible recruiter. If the answer is no Barbee is a horrible coach. Pick one.

As for JJ he should be fired because he does not give the basketball coach all the tools to be a success. IE Under Armor.

No you don't because you are in DENIAL about AU's program. Time to take an unbiased look. Not too many kids with great talent will come to AU right now. It's just not a dream destination right now for bb players. Face it. The fans are clueless and want to fire Barbee before he even gets his feet under him, and say so loudly and publicly, not to mention JJ...so there's the belief that there's no fan support for the program. Plus AU has been in the basement for the last 7-8 years. The program is basically being TOTALLY REBUILT and it will take YEARS before AU gets respect again. Barbee knows this, and he knows he's fighting an uphill battle with recruiting. He has to pick his battles.

This post is such BS. Barbee cant sell. Recruiting is sales. You think Caipari (even though I cant stand him) was the coach your take would not change?

Pal we want to fire Barbee because they won nine freaking games last year. When you have .500 talent and you win 9 games your coaches are coaching the talent down. That isnt ignorant fans thats very intelligent fans that understand the situation.

If the answer is yes then Barbee is a horrible recruiter. If the answer is no Barbee is a horrible coach. Pick one.

As for JJ he should be fired because he does not give the basketball coach all the tools to be a success. IE Under Armor.

So JJ needs to be fired because of the Under Armour deal, that gives us plenty of cash, and has worked out great for our money-making sport? Negative, ghostrider. AD has 2 jobs: make money, hire coaches. First job he's done pretty solid at. Second job, apart from the coach that won us a BCSNC, every coaching hire has been met by praise from the fanbase at the time. I think it's time to back off JJ a bit as the scapegoat for problems.

In regards to CTB, Tigerbelle is spot on. He's taking a program that was ROCK bottom, and always has been, and rebuilding it from the ground up. If your expectations were for him to walk in and in 4 years have us competing for an SEC championship annually and getting repeated NCAA berths, then I think it's your expectations that are off, not CTB. Auburn never will be a basketball powerhouse. Fact. I want us to be better, something to be able to be proud of, yes. But we're never going to be the program sending players every year to the NBA, and looking at Sweet 16 or the season's blown. Have more achievable goals, then move forward as you hit them. If we have a .500 season this year, I'd say he's earned another year. Evaluate what he inherited, then make the decision off that. Not off what other schools are doing. Calipari to Barbee comparison is like saying that East Carolina Football should be mad and fire their HC every 3-4 years if they aren't on par with Alabama.

I realize I might be the only in the AU family who still says this, but I am still on Team Tony Barbee AND Team Jay Jacobs. I support these men 100% and look forward to brighter days inside the Auburn Arena and brighter days for all Auburn Athletics.

War Eagle!

So JJ needs to be fired because of the Under Armour deal, that gives us plenty of cash, and has worked out great for our money-making sport? Negative, ghostrider. AD has 2 jobs: make money, hire coaches. First job he's done pretty solid at. Second job, apart from the coach that won us a BCSNC, every coaching hire has been met by praise from the fanbase at the time. I think it's time to back off JJ a bit as the scapegoat for problems.

In regards to CTB, Tigerbelle is spot on. He's taking a program that was ROCK bottom, and always has been, and rebuilding it from the ground up. If your expectations were for him to walk in and in 4 years have us competing for an SEC championship annually and getting repeated NCAA berths, then I think it's your expectations that are off, not CTB. Auburn never will be a basketball powerhouse. Fact. I want us to be better, something to be able to be proud of, yes. But we're never going to be the program sending players every year to the NBA, and looking at Sweet 16 or the season's blown. Have more achievable goals, then move forward as you hit them. If we have a .500 season this year, I'd say he's earned another year. Evaluate what he inherited, then make the decision off that. Not off what other schools are doing. Calipari to Barbee comparison is like saying that East Carolina Football should be mad and fire their HC every 3-4 years if they aren't on par with Alabama.

If there were the slightest smidgeon of evidence that the program is progressing under Barbee your argument would have some merit. As things are in the real world, Barbee's third year was his worst and post-season, the senseless loss of yet another half of a signing class indicates that we are continuing to go backward. He has no incoming recruit rated better than a 2*. Do you claim that there are valid reasons why Auburn should always be worse than, say, Mississippi State in basketball?

With the effort, fan support and money Auburn puts into basketball there is no excuse for us not being in post season play every.single.season. Being one of the top 96 isn't that much of a challenge.

If there were the slightest smidgeon of evidence that the program is progressing under Barbee your argument would have some merit. As things are in the real world, Barbee's third year was his worst and post-season, the senseless loss of yet another half of a signing class indicates that we are continuing to go backward. He has no incoming recruit rated better than a 2*. Do you claim that there are valid reasons why Auburn should always be worse than, say, Mississippi State in basketball?

With the effort, fan support and money Auburn puts into basketball there is no excuse for us not being in post season play every.single.season. Being one of the top 96 isn't that much of a challenge.

Amen. And I sincerely hope Barbee does it, but being part of the 96 best teams in the country with the money and support and facilities we have is simply not too much to ask for at the end of 4 years!

The title of this thread is very appropriate imo. "Frustrating" pretty much sums up how many of us feel about the program right now on the whole. I think the vast majority of fans understand the level we were at pre-Barbee- it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know it was in shambles. I for one, do not need to be reminded of our past history as it's pretty hard to forget! I also think most fans realized it was going to take a few years for CTB to get his feet under him and to get his system/recruiting in order. No one I know was demanding we finish at the top of the SEC and make a deep run in the Big Dance at this point, but were not expecting two 30 loss seasons, large turnover, and such an overall lack of competiveness. My point is, we've had fairly low expectations and have received lower than low results. To me, the crux of the issue is how much time is needed to get things turned around and if we've got the HC to do it. We all differ on this and there is no real way to prove one's opinion so it becomes a hot issue. I can tell you that people rarely change their minds, so for those of you who seem to constantly be butting heads, the new season will be here shortly so ya might wanna put a helmet on. ;D

You must not have been around when Sonny was coaching us. He proved that Auburn can have a very successful basketball program. Will we ever be a Duke or a Kansas? Nope. Should we be where we are now? Nope. Yes Coach Barbee inherited a cluster mess. Where is the program now? To be quite honest, it's still a cluster mess. Basketball is the easiest sport in college to turn around the quickest. He has not done his job in any way, shape, or form. As long as we keep making excuses for him, that's what we will be doing three more years from now....making the same or different excuses.

You must not have been around when Sonny was coaching us. He proved that Auburn can have a very successful basketball program. Will we ever be a Duke or a Kansas? Nope. Should we be where we are now? Nope. Yes Coach Barbee inherited a cluster mess. Where is the program now? To be quite honest, it's still a cluster mess. Basketball is the easiest sport in college to turn around the quickest. He has not done his job in any way, shape, or form. As long as we keep making excuses for him, that's what we will be doing three more years from now....making the same or different excuses.

This is the thing (the part in bold) I think many people are not acknowledging. I certainly don't have delusions of grandeur, but three seasons is enough time in college hoops to judge if progress is being made and quite frankly, we're no better now than when Barbee took over. There are no excuses at this point and it should be postseason or bust for him in '13-'14.

The talented kids that are out there NOW have never heard of Sonny and weren't even born when he was coaching. They do not care about a past that is very distant to them. Auburn is not a place for the very best talent yet. It can be in the future, but we are talking YEARS of small steps! This is exactly what CTB meant about changing the culture. AU basketball has a long way to go to have the kind of respect you all think it should have right now. He's got the toughest job in college basketball. Whether or not he is the right coach to turn things around remains to be seen, but it's way too early to start in on him. That just adds to the instability.

And as for the assumption that a team can be turned around fast and easy....how many have you done that you would know that as an actual fact instead of just your opinion? If that were true there would be very few bad teams anywhere....including the NBA. If it was that easy....why isn't every team turned around? I think you underestimate how tough it is to recruit and keep these really talented kids around today. This is the generation of entitlement and the vast majority of them won't have any interest in helping AU dig out of the hole. At this point Barbee is lucky to get 2nd tier talent.

The talented kids that are out there NOW have never heard of Sonny and weren't even born when he was coaching. They do not care about a past that is very distant to them. Auburn is not a place for the very best talent yet. It can be in the future, but we are talking YEARS of small steps! This is exactly what CTB meant about changing the culture. AU basketball has a long way to go to have the kind of respect you all think it should have right now. He's got the toughest job in college basketball. Whether or not he is the right coach to turn things around remains to be seen, but it's way too early to start in on him. That just adds to the instability.

And as for the assumption that a team can be turned around fast and easy....how many have you done that you would know that as an actual fact instead of just your opinion? If that were true there would be very few bad teams anywhere....including the NBA. If it was that easy....why isn't every team turned around? I think you underestimate how tough it is to recruit and keep these really talented kids around today. This is the generation of entitlement and the vast majority of them won't have any interest in helping AU dig out of the hole. At this point Barbee is lucky to get 2nd tier talent.

notice the records......

Tell that to New Mexico, NEW MEXICO ..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_Lobos_men's_basketball

Tell that to Butler, BUTLER ...... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butler_Bulldogs_men's_basketball

Tell that to FSU .................. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State_Seminoles_men's_basketball

What was the change? The Coaches. Each one turned their programs around quickly. Each one's program progressed, not regressed. There isn't a single one of those schools that was known as a "national power", in basketball, before these coaches got there. Nobody is saying Coach Barbee is a bad guy. He hasn't proven he is a good coach. He may be a good coach, but Auburn isn't the right fit for him. Who knows? What is known.....his program, at Auburn, is in no better shape today than when he took over. That can't be argued.

note his career record...........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Barbee

Once again you have failed to answer the question that's been asked of you several times: How many years is enough time to give Barbee without signs of improvement? You are saying three isn't nearly enough. Do you think five? Ten? 12 years with sub-.500 seasons before calling the Barbee hire unfortunate?

Every new coach deserves 4 years (maybe 5). That allows him the ability to cycle through a full set of his own players.

Unfortunately barbee is either a poor evaluator or his coaching style/philosophy is running kids off ... The player turnover is waaaaaay to high for a program like auburn to be successful. We have to keep and develop our players.

In my eyes barbee deserves this coming year, but there has to be marked on court improvement and very little turnover next off season. He is cycling players like we are a juco. If both of these don't happen then he should quit. His integrity should see himself out the door.

I see a glimmer of hope. If Harrell can shoot, Shaq improves his jumper, adt can use his athleticism and increased size to hold the middle, our number 4 actually rebound, a PG who can play sec caliber and ......... Please make 70-75% from the FT line.

Am I asking too much?

No, you aren't and I'm with you for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. I understand player turnover after a coach's first year, hell, it's almost to be expected. The seeming revolving door shouldn't still be happening after year 3, though.

If this team can get over the .500 mark and make any sort of postseason, even the CBI that takes the leftovers that don't make the NIT, then that will have shown good progress and I'd be OK with seeing if he can keep that momentum going.

I agree with the last two posts. They set a reasonable time 4 years a full cycle with a fifth year if we show improvement. While both point out the obvious fact that leniency should be given considering where we started but the continued high turnover of players is a huge issue. So solid team this year does not have to be great and players who sttay with the program he deserves a fifth year. Another year like last especially with continued turnover and he should be gone. If given fifth year because 4th year showed improvement still on probation as we should see improvement from 4th to 5th year. Reasonable improvement not expecting miracles.

I just dont see Auburn basketball every doing a damn thing. Its like we are the Cubs of NCAA basketball. Every since we fired Cliff Ellis the program (outside one season) nothing but an utter trainwreck and a complete disaster. Outside of Oklahoma State who tragically had 2 plane crashes in their basketball program who is more jinxed then Auburn??

We bring in Lebo then Killingsworth, Lewis Monroe, and Toney Douglas leave. Lebo had major player attrition honestly so much its to numerous to name. Yet he manages to win 10 SEC games still the only team in SEC history to win 10 conference games and NOT make the NCAA tournament.

Then Barbee takes over same story. This is the list of players that are gone. Andre Malone, Bernard Morena, Brian Greene Jr., Cedrick McAfee, Earnest Ross, Jordan Price, Josh Langford, Luke Cothron, Shaq Johnson, Shareif Adamu, Shawn Kemp Jr, Varez Ward, Willy Kouassi??

All on the roster or a signee at one point all gone!!

12 of 19 players Barbee brought in left before their eligibilty expired. How do you expect to win like that?

Why the hell even sign these guys if they are here one freaking year?

Then we have a gambling scandal.

Then Jerome Seagers signs.

Then 3 weeks later Jerome Seagers leaves. He last a year with an abusive coach but couldnt cut it 3 weeks in Auburn.

Then the Shaq Johnson arrest and thrown off the team.

Then we get the tragic news that Vot Barber died. Sad. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

I dont even say this for effect I am being dead serious Jacobs should call in witch doctor and have them remove the spells from Auburn Arena? Seriously.

I mean I feel hopeless about this program. Does anyone think Barbee will really win this year??

And if not who does Auburn bring in and what makes you think the results will be any better then Lebo and Barbee?

To be honest I eagerly await to see what signees from this last recruiting class bail first.

Its been ten long years since an NCAA tournament bid.

The AD doesnt have a clue how to fix the problem the "fan base" is apathetic at best and honestly who can blame them. I want to be completely pissed off by the lack of outrage by the fan base. But I am a hardcore basketball fan I love college basketball (its not run by a buncha mensas like college football) but it has beaten me down and I am hardcore fan. What is the casual fan to do?

I dont know what to say or to offer but had to vent. At least the cubs could go sacrifice a goat no idea what we can do. Bruce Pearl maybe? But with Auburn's luck he wont win and then get Auburn on probation.

Not to bring politics in this but only to illustrate a point-Ronald Reagan once referenced America could have 1,000 years of darkness if we turned away from our foundational principles I wonder how many years of darkness Auburn basketball has been sentenced to?

I would be shocked if we had double digits in wins this year.

We've been talking about what he inherited for 3 years! Good grief. At what point should Coach Barbee be a big boy and accept at least some responsibility to you people??? There's been no progression of talent that has been recruited, there are more discipline issues than I've ever seen before, and there has been no solid plan. The program hasn't even come close to forming any identity. At some point, the blame game has to stop and people at the top have to be held accountable. The state of Auburn basketball right NOW is on Coach Barbee.

I just don't understand why the last two coaches have had such attrition in players. I liked coach Lebo. I thought he was a good X's and O's guy and the players played their hearts out for him. He was just snake bit with this attrition.

Is there some common thread to our inability to keep our players?

I think we have to pay out the nose for an established older coach. We have had success with it in the past. I really wish we got Tubby when we hired barbee. That guy would do well at AU. The newest greatest has not worked out. Old and good track record.

I think we have to pay out the nose for an established older coach. We have had success with it in the past. I really wish we got Tubby when we hired barbee. That guy would do well at AU. The newest greatest has not worked out. Old and good track record.

It's worked out great for Miami. If we can get someone like Larranaga, we'll be in good shape.

• 2 weeks later...

I just don't understand why the last two coaches have had such attrition in players. I liked coach Lebo. I thought he was a good X's and O's guy and the players played their hearts out for him. He was just snake bit with this attrition.

Is there some common thread to our inability to keep our players?

Once again, we discuss why good players won't stay at AU, and the question is legit. But I still can't figure out why the last 3 coaches we had at AU put such a low premium on recruits who can actually shoot the basketball! Other teams, even mid-majors, seem to have no problem recruiting players with basketball IQ and the ability to make a majority of their shots inside the 3 point line, even if they are a bit athletically challenged. I am tired of athletes who can jump out of the gym but can't hit a bull in the rear with a base fiddle. Let's try something different, for goodness sakes!

Archived