Its very frustrating

benjazz

that this coaching staff will NOT recruit any players from Alabama including Frankie Sullivan's brother who just committed to UAB. Its one thing if we are winning 20 games per year but to NOT recruit the top guys from Alabama who have offers from all over is a good way to not ingratiate yourself with local coaches who could help you later on even if the player decides not to come to Auburn.

I need that banging your head into a wall emoticon here.

WDE

that this coaching staff will NOT recruit any players from Alabama including Frankie Sullivan's brother who just committed to UAB. Its one thing if we are winning 20 games per year but to NOT recruit the top guys from Alabama who have offers from all over is a good way to not ingratiate yourself with local coaches who could help you later on even if the player decides not to come to Auburn.

I need that banging your head into a wall emoticon here.

WDE

We may have a coaching change at mid season......

Unlikely IMO and interesting that in the announcement on al.com there was no mention that he was Frankie's brother. Seems they would have made a big deal about it. Just wondering....Frankie is from down in the central part of the state....are you sure about the relationship?

Unlikely IMO and interesting that in the announcement on al.com there was no mention that he was Frankie's brother. Seems they would have made a big deal about it. Just wondering....Frankie is from down in the central part of the state....are you sure about the relationship?

100% sure he is Frankie's younger brother 64. I've watched him play quite a few times over the past few seasons as well. It may not have been mentioned in this article but it has in many others. It's no secret.

100% sure he is Frankie's younger brother 64. I've watched him play quite a few times over the past few seasons as well. It may not have been mentioned in this article but it has in many others. It's no secret.

Thanks

The initial statement is that we didn't try and recruit him. Is that accurate or did we just lose out on him?

When I looked him up on a couple of Services he is rated as only about 2 * small Forward. It is possible we didn't recruit him because there are higher players on the board.

If we tried to get him and lost out on him it speaks to where we are when a younger brother of an Auburn player picks UAB over Auburn. Again though the assumption is we even tried to recruit him.

I agree we should try and recruit our own state but that said only for top players.

The whole damn basketball program is beyond frustrating. I honestly am hopeless about its future under the current conditions.

Barbee can BS all he wants but any intelligent fan has lost faith in him.

I know Auburn is a football school but the single most frustrating aspect of anyting Auburn to me, (I mean academics and athletics either) is the basketball program.

Gogue didnt you play basketball do something?

I'm thinking that Sullivan's brother is not an SEC level talent. No other major college team offered him. We didn't take David Rocker's football playing son under these circumstances, I see no reason to take a kid that's not talented enough just because his brother played here.

I am sorry to say and admit but I just dropped my Scholorship tickets that I have had for a while. Call me what you want. I am not the only one. If I see a change in some fashion I will pick them up again, but not at this point.

I'm thinking that Sullivan's brother is not an SEC level talent. No other major college team offered him. We didn't take David Rocker's football playing son under these circumstances, I see no reason to take a kid that's not talented enough just because his brother played here.

Have you done any research at all regarding Lewis? Even a cursory review of his profile reveals some info you may have wished you had before posting this. Here, let me help you out. 1) Alabama 6A Player of the Year (as a Junior). 2) 1st team 6A All-State 3) Chose UAB over offers from Florida, Georgia, Bammer, Ole Miss, Miss State, and at least according to 27/7- AU whom they show as offering. Perhaps you don't consider him an SEC talent, but more than a couple actual SEC coaches do. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/07/hazel_green_standout_lewis_sul.html

What's frustrating is that CTB has had the same patterns happen over his time at AU every year he has been here and has reacted in no way in response to those patterns to stop them. We continue to not recruit top talent in our region that would be helpful to us, we continue to have poor free throw shooting, we continue to be uncompetitive in the SEC, and we continue to be poor fundamentaly. IMO, if CTB does not have a basketball epiphany that what he's doing is not working, I don't know how we can get over the below mediocre hill with him as coach.

Have you done any research at all regarding Lewis? Even a cursory review of his profile reveals some info you may have wished you had before posting this. Here, let me help you out. 1) Alabama 6A Player of the Year (as a Junior). 2) 1st team 6A All-State 3) Chose UAB over offers from Florida, Georgia, Bammer, Ole Miss, Miss State, and at least according to 27/7- AU whom they show as offering. Perhaps you don't consider him an SEC talent, but more than a couple actual SEC coaches do. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/07/hazel_green_standout_lewis_sul.html

Did he have committable offers from those schools? Or is it just the normal recruiting site blah-blah? I don't see a guy choosing UAB if he could actually choose from that list you posted. Also, if he did choose UAB over all of those, he had to have some special connection there which would rule AU out anyway. After his brother's experience at AU I wouldn't be surprised if we were at the bottom of any list he might make.

Have you done any research at all regarding Lewis? Even a cursory review of his profile reveals some info you may have wished you had before posting this. Here, let me help you out. 1) Alabama 6A Player of the Year (as a Junior). 2) 1st team 6A All-State 3) Chose UAB over offers from Florida, Georgia, Bammer, Ole Miss, Miss State, and at least according to 27/7- AU whom they show as offering. Perhaps you don't consider him an SEC talent, but more than a couple actual SEC coaches do. http://www.al.com/sp..._lewis_sul.html

Did he have committable offers from those schools? Or is it just the normal recruiting site blah-blah? I don't see a guy choosing UAB if he could actually choose from that list you posted. Also, if he did choose UAB over all of those, he had to have some special connection there which would rule AU out anyway. After his brother's experience at AU I wouldn't be surprised if we were at the bottom of any list he might make.

What makes you think Frankie didn't enjoy his time at AU? Just because Barbee gave him tough love does not mean he didn't enjoy his time here. Barbee did everything he could for Frankie to get healthy and succeed. Frankie did not and has not said anything bad about Auburn, the basketball program, or the current head coach. Frankie, statistically, was one of the most productive players in our history. You've always got to be negative, Mikey.

And if all these people weren't frustrated that we didn't get Lewis, you would be going ballistic that we didn't sign him just to be different and stir up a few arguments. Don't tell me otherwise.

Did you watch Frankie his senior year? Did you watch him his freshman year? If so, you saw a better freshman than senior. If you think he had a positive experience here you're lying to yourself. When Frankie signed with AU he had every reason to expect an NBA career. Injuries aside, he digressed into a worse player than he was before he came here. His brother can see that as well as you and I can.

Have you done any research at all regarding Lewis? Even a cursory review of his profile reveals some info you may have wished you had before posting this. Here, let me help you out. 1) Alabama 6A Player of the Year (as a Junior). 2) 1st team 6A All-State 3) Chose UAB over offers from Florida, Georgia, Bammer, Ole Miss, Miss State, and at least according to 27/7- AU whom they show as offering. Perhaps you don't consider him an SEC talent, but more than a couple actual SEC coaches do. http://www.al.com/sp..._lewis_sul.html

What makes you think Frankie didn't enjoy his time at AU? Just because Barbee gave him tough love does not mean he didn't enjoy his time here. Barbee did everything he could for Frankie to get healthy and succeed. Frankie did not and has not said anything bad about Auburn, the basketball program, or the current head coach. Frankie, statistically, was one of the most productive players in our history. You've always got to be negative, Mikey.

And if all these people weren't frustrated that we didn't get Lewis, you would be going ballistic that we didn't sign him just to be different and stir up a few arguments. Don't tell me otherwise.

What "all these people"? I see the OP and by stretching it a bit two more that think maybe we should have given this guy a look. Recruiting services take a player's word about who has offered them, but a 2* ranking speaks more to UAB than the SEC. So I'm telling you otherwise even though you asked me not to. Sometimes life is just tough that way...

you want to get made about Auburn not recruiting kids from Alabama the talent is north kids that do nothing but play BBall go to Boston anywhere up North there is a BBall court everywhere

I would swap our basketball program for UAB's in a heartbeat! They were around 500 last year but have had a number of very good teams over the years. The SEC is not the powerhouse in basketball that it is in football by a long long shot.

I'm sure a poster on a forum has all the facts about this kid and why he wasn't recruited by AU. I'm sure the OP knows all the inside details, and that's why he feels he can sit in judgment of the situation..... :brickwall:

I'm sure a poster on a forum has all the facts about this kid and why he wasn't recruited by AU. I'm sure the OP knows all the inside details, and that's why he feels he can sit in judgment of the situation..... :brickwall:

You should know by now Belle....never miss a chance to take a shot at JJ or TB. ;D

I know this much. AU Basketball finished dead last this past season. Anyone on this board can recruit a team that could finish last. And the kid was only a 2 star? Guess what? Go to the Scout ratings. Shamsid Dean? 2 star Gricilunas? 2 star. There are at least 6 major college d1 type prospects in Alabama. Betting is Auburn gets NONE. And I don't want to hear about Komara or Nike. There is no reason we can't get one player from the state of Alabama. As it stands we will have 2 players from Atlanta and 1 from Columbus which should be Auburn's typical recruiting base. That's it. So yes Tigerbelle, given last years result I do know as much as Barbee about whom to recruit. Cause guess what? I can't do any worse.

No you don't because you are in DENIAL about AU's program. Time to take an unbiased look. Not too many kids with great talent will come to AU right now. It's just not a dream destination right now for bb players. Face it. The fans are clueless and want to fire Barbee before he even gets his feet under him, and say so loudly and publicly, not to mention JJ...so there's the belief that there's no fan support for the program. Plus AU has been in the basement for the last 7-8 years. The program is basically being TOTALLY REBUILT and it will take YEARS before AU gets respect again. Barbee knows this, and he knows he's fighting an uphill battle with recruiting. He has to pick his battles.

And yes...you could do much,much worse because you don't get it.

You are totally contradicting yourself. In one post you say I don't understand why they won't offer a two star player who happens to be from up the road. Now you say I'm in denial because it will be decades evidently before we will be able to have a competent team. Bull....... How long did it take Butler to improve and become a power. If they can do it with meager resources certainly Auburn can do it. I'm in denial about nothing. I saw the first game at the OLD Arena featuring Pete Maravich and John Mengelt. I saw Eddie Johnson and Mike Mitchell. I saw Barkley and the Persons, I saw Chris Porter and Scott Pohlman. I saw Vot Barber. I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly. I can assure you I'm as realistic about this basketball program as the next person and not in denial. Running a bunch of freshmen off every year is NEVER going to work at Auburn. We are not a one and done type program. For the record there are only about 4 - 6 programs that can do that. And in each good team we have had the vast majority of the players were from Alabama, Georgia and Florida. If you take the top 30 players from each of those 3 states, I can promise you we can come up with 10 who would and could come to Auburn and be in it for the long haul. They might be two stars, but they would work hard and develop. Scott Pohlman wasn't even rated and he was a 4 year starter. No one wanted Barkley if you go back that far. Chilliest looked like a defensive tackle and NOT a basketball center. And given the fact that Barbee loses most of his classes every year Auburn will NEVER have a competent TEAM until that stops. And you are NOT going to find many players willing to come to Auburn from Fargo that will be in it for the long haul and will leave voluntarily or be pushed. That is NOT the Auburn I want to see and not the Auburn, I've been proud of for decades. Look back at my posts. I'm a long time Barbee supporter, but enough is enough. Either he needs to sober up and get a clue or he will be sent packing and we will be behind another 4 years with a new coach. Those are my thoughts and opinions. Before you jump on me for my opinion get a clue about some facts.

No you don't because you are in DENIAL about AU's program. Time to take an unbiased look. Not too many kids with great talent will come to AU right now. It's just not a dream destination right now for bb players. Face it. The fans are clueless and want to fire Barbee before he even gets his feet under him, and say so loudly and publicly, not to mention JJ...so there's the belief that there's no fan support for the program. Plus AU has been in the basement for the last 7-8 years. The program is basically being TOTALLY REBUILT and it will take YEARS before AU gets respect again. Barbee knows this, and he knows he's fighting an uphill battle with recruiting. He has to pick his battles.

And yes...you could do much,much worse because you don't get it.

I have a question: How many more years do you think Barbee should get before the won/loss record must start to show improvement?

A second question would be how you expect Barbee to build a winning team when over half of his signees jump ship every year?

I am sorry to say and admit but I just dropped my Scholorship tickets that I have had for a while. Call me what you want. I am not the only one. If I see a change in some fashion I will pick them up again, but not at this point.

I dont blame you a minute!!! $$ is the only way to get their attention. If it was me and I got a call from JJ I would say I dropped my tickets until you change shoe companies and coaches. I am hard core basketball fan I love college basketball and in many ways more then football (unlike football they decide a champion on the court) but who can watch this crap?

Archived