2016 4* QB Jawon Pass (Louisville commit)

Austintxtiger

FTR my more of statement only meant more than now. Did a not mean real shift change.

I see what you're getting at now, though I disagree with the way you said it (yeah, I'm a word nerd, I can't help it..lol). We will have a passing game that more closely resembles that of an NFL offense, to be sure, but only in that the QB will almost certainly remain in the pocket and pick apart defenses more than scrambling at the first sign of a protection breakdown.

Respectfully disagree a bit. I think there will be more involved than just that. I think the route combos and progressions will change a bit since JJ can make all the throws more accurately than Nick. Also I think that fits him better since I don't believe JJ will do as much as a college runner as Cam and Nick were even though JJ ran well in high school. He will be more patient and stay in the pocket longer than Nick. Plus I don't believe he will have as many designed runs called as we did with Nick and Cam.

Meh, plenty of room for disagreement, but we're really down to semantics here. The plays will certainly evolve as Gus fits it to the personnel, but the basic philosophy is more what I'm getting at.

As far as reading progressions, while that is more an NFL type of skill, I wouldn't say it's really indicative of a move toward a more pro style offense, but rather going farther with the development of our current offense. However, this really underscores my issues with the use of "pro style" to describe offenses in the first place. :dunno:

True. You say philosophy and skill, I said style (and I used scare quotes and only applied it to the passing game). But I maintain that if our QB has the skill and the protection to read through progressions, then maybe we'll see Gus's philosophy change to incorporate more complex route trees in his called pass plays (which wouldn't make it any more "pro style", I guess, but it would certainly make it a lot more similar to a lot of pro offenses in one regard).

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

basic philosophy is more what I'm getting at

Agree 100% and I did not say nor imply at all there would be a change there. All I'm saying is there will be more Pro Style shotgun plays (yes that's a real thing and has been since Tom Landry created the shotgun for my beloved Cowboys in the late 70s), even if only a few, because Gus adapts to the strengths and comforts of his Offensive players.

basic philosophy is more what I'm getting at

Agree 100% and I did not say nor imply at all there would be a change there. All I'm saying is there will be more Pro Style shotgun plays (yes that's a real thing and has been since Tom Landry created the shotgun for my beloved Cowboys in the late 70s), even if only a few, because Gus adapts to the strengths and comforts of his Offensive players.

Uh...Landry didn't "create" the shotgun formation. Red Hickey is the guy who named the formation such when he was coach of the 49ers in the 60s...and it was derived from either the single wing or the double wing (or both), which date back decades earlier. Sammy Baugh said it was essentially the same as the double wing set he ran at TCU in the 30s.

Again, though, that's just semantics. I can at least see the argument for more complex passing routes, particularly the reads that go along with those routes, being more pro style, especially with regard to preparing the QB for the next level. :cheers:

Well guess we don't......................

Fine. I'll shut up.

Sometimes I feel like I'm at a match between 2 middle school debate teams. No real substance though, simply one person trying to out-argue another.

Sometimes I feel like I'm at a match between 2 middle school debate teams. No real substance though, simply one person trying to out-argue another.

I guess my sabbatical did not take nearly as much away from the board as some seemed to think it would, then. Good to know.

^This

(Seriously, thank you!)

Happy to pass along some of golf's wisdom (he told me how to do it). He may be old, but he sure can embed some youtube videos.

He got it from me. I posted it on the help board a long time ago.

You are kidding... Right?

Really? Even though it was a hijacking I didn't see anything preteenish with Red and I. It was a mature discussion with differring opinions. Just because there is disagreement that does not make the discussion juvenile.

I guess my sabbatical did not take nearly as much away from the board as some seemed to think it would, then. Good to know.

No. You are good. some just look at a disagreement as stiching no matter how civil the discussion is.

^This

(Seriously, thank you!)

Happy to pass along some of golf's wisdom (he told me how to do it). He may be old, but he sure can embed some youtube videos.

You're right. That was in poor taste. My apologies to Golf and the board.

^This

(Seriously, thank you!)

You're right. That was in poor taste. My apologies to Golf and the board.

No worries!

Please don't let me stop your debate on what we run and don't run among other things but can you put it into another thread and get back to Pass? I thought there was some more news until I read through some pages of debating plays...Thanks...

I am completely ok with 1 QB commitment this year. I am very excited for next year and Bentley.

Red, you've been one of my favorite posters since Auburn Eagle. I absolutely felt your absence.

Some just get very uncomfortable when people disagree. A lot of what y'all were saying went right over my head so I'd say there was a fair amount of substance.

Red, you've been one of my favorite posters since Auburn Eagle. I absolutely felt your absence.

Some just get very uncomfortable when people disagree. A lot of what y'all were saying went right over my head so I'd say there was a fair amount of substance.

Wait, if you don't get it, there's substance?

:poke:

(Not a comment on the debate, which I found enjoyable.)

enjoyed the debate, lots of great info. Pass has passed anyway, so some football offense history and interpretation into Gus' offense is much more interesting than who showed Golf how to add a youtube video, lol.

Always remember suicide is painless......................................... :hanged:/> :hanged:/>

That was pretty messed up.

It's from the M*A*S*H movie. In other words: it was joke.

Golf; they must be too young for it.

Always remember suicide is painless......................................... :hanged:/> :hanged:/>

That was pretty messed up.

It's from the M*A*S*H movie. In other words: it was joke.

Golf; they must be too young for it.

Admittedly, I am too young for a M*A*S*H reference but I was always taught not to joke about suicide. It's very painful to those who were close to the deceased. I had a good friend and classmate commit suicide a couple of months back and I still think about it almost daily. Guess I didn't get the "joke".

Archived