2016 4* QB Jawon Pass (Louisville commit)

Austintxtiger

Nick has recruited quite a few DT QBs over the years so this is really nothing new.

Yep. If he had gone with the Pro Style QB of Drew Brees instead of Dante Culpepper maybe he would not be at Bama now.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick has recruited quite a few DT QBs over the years so this is really nothing new.

Yep. If he had gone with the Pro Style QB of Drew Brees instead of Dante Culpepper mYbe he would not be at Bama now.

Very good point.

All of which have sat on the bench or transferred, save for Simms.

So bama is going back to pro style offense again? That's news to me, because Here lately they have been mimicking our offense.

uat is telling kids what they want to hear and then doing what they want to the kid when he steps on campus.

So bama is going back to pro style offense again? That's news to me, because Here lately they have been mimicking our offense.

Didn't really mimic ours. There's was more of a shotgun pro style IMO.

They were running the wildcat with Ingram and rent a Trent and here recently with #4. That was part of our offense when Gus came to AU. Yes it is a shotgun spread but the designs of their offense has a large part of how they operate thanx to AU. Their offense used to b I-formation mixed with a little pistol every once in a while.

uat is telling kids what they want to hear and then doing what they want to the kid when he steps on campus.

Indeed

Ditto. I like QBs that are all in. It seems the best ones tend to commit pretty early on.

They were running the wildcat with Ingram and rent a Trent and here recently with #4. That was part of our offense when Gus came to AU. Yes it is a shotgun spread but the designs of their offense has a large part of how they operate thanx to AU. Their offense used to b I-formation mixed with a little pistol every once in a while.

The Wildcat is not a major part of either team's playbook anymore. The only real similarities are they used tempo more to help Sims and they used the shotgun more than they had. Outside of that the actual playbooks and plays called are vastly different. Their's is a pro style even in shotgun formations, especially under Kiffin. We have not been. However with JJ being a better passing QB than Nick was I can see us going to more of a pro style shotgun set ourselves.

KM just removed his CB on Pass to AU today. Bammers/Louisville battle, IMO.

Bama/nobody battle. He has not been a take for Louisville for a bit now.

The Wildcat is not a major part of either team's playbook anymore. The only real similarities are they used tempo more to help Sims and they used the shotgun more than they had. Outside of that the actual playbooks and plays called are vastly different. Their's is a pro style even in shotgun formations. We have not been. However with JJ being a better passing QB than Nick was I can see us going to more of a pro style shotgun set ourselves.

Don't count on it. Gus's offense is predicated upon the Wing T, which is not considered "pro-style" (although I have issues with the pro-style vs. spread debate, anyway, because neither is really an offense as much as a quick term used by broadcasters to make things simpler than they are), and I just don't see him deviating from that philosophy. He'll certainly utilize different combinations and concepts from the offense, but when we transitioned from the I-form to the Wing T my junior year of high school, the amount of passing went up exponentially, so it isn't as if advanced passing plays aren't already part of the deal...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wildcat put back in more often, in our case at least, either. The last two years, we didn't gain much by using a Wildcat over Nick, whereas I doubt anyone will mistake JJ for anything but a pocket QB who has mobility. But that's just a guess. :dunno:

The Wildcat is not a major part of either team's playbook anymore. The only real similarities are they used tempo more to help Sims and they used the shotgun more than they had. Outside of that the actual playbooks and plays called are vastly different. Their's is a pro style even in shotgun formations. We have not been. However with JJ being a better passing QB than Nick was I can see us going to more of a pro style shotgun set ourselves.

Don't count on it. Gus's offense is predicated upon the Wing T, which is not considered "pro-style" (although I have issues with the pro-style vs. spread debate, anyway, because neither is really an offense as much as a quick term used by broadcasters to make things simpler than they are), and I just don't see him deviating from that philosophy. He'll certainly utilize different combinations and concepts from the offense, but when we transitioned from the I-form to the Wing T my junior year of high school, the amount of passing went up exponentially, so it isn't as if advanced passing plays aren't already part of the deal...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wildcat put back in more often, in our case at least, either. The last two years, we didn't gain much by using a Wildcat over Nick, whereas I doubt anyone will mistake JJ for anything but a pocket QB who has mobility. But that's just a guess. :dunno:

FTR my more of statement only meant more than now. Did a not mean real shift change.

FTR my more of statement only meant more than now. Did a not mean real shift change.

I see what you're getting at now, though I disagree with the way you said it (yeah, I'm a word nerd, I can't help it..lol). We will have a passing game that more closely resembles that of an NFL offense, to be sure, but only in that the QB will almost certainly remain in the pocket and pick apart defenses more than scrambling at the first sign of a protection breakdown.

So yes, in that regard, it will be more "pro style" than it has been; I was more taking the tack of differences in play designs and such that you pointed out as the difference between AU's and UAT's offenses.

I see what you're getting at now, though I disagree with the way you said it (yeah, I'm a word nerd, I can't help it..lol). We will have a passing game that more closely resembles that of an NFL offense, to be sure, but only in that the QB will almost certainly remain in the pocket and pick apart defenses more than scrambling at the first sign of a protection breakdown.

Respectfully disagree a bit. I think there will be more involved than just that. I think the route combos and progressions will change a bit since JJ can make all the throws more accurately than Nick. Also I think that fits him better since I don't believe JJ will do as much as a college runner as Cam and Nick were even though JJ ran well in high school. He will be more patient and stay in the pocket longer than Nick. Plus I don't believe he will have as many designed runs called as we did with Nick and Cam.

I think the main difference between Gus's passing game so far and a lot of pro offenses is that many of his plays are designed to get one guy open; the QB knows where he's throwing it before the snap. If JJ is consistently going through progressions to find the open receiver, then he'll be doing something we haven't seen as much of under Gus.

I agree, ellitor, that we won't be seeing as much of the zone read with JJ. We leaned a lot more on that with Nick because that's what he and our other personnel were best suited for. Cam's offense was a lot more balanced, but it still wasn't a "pro style" passing offense. And Chris Todd obviously didn't run at all, but you can tell that he still usually knew where the ball was going before the snap (with an outlet valve in the flat just in case).

(Forgot how to embed youtube?)

I think the main difference between Gus's passing game so far and a lot of pro offenses is that many of his plays are designed to get one guy open; the QB knows where he's throwing it before the snap. If JJ is consistently going through progressions to find the open receiver, then he'll be doing something we haven't seen as much of under Gus.

I agree, ellitor, that we won't be seeing as much of the zone read with JJ. We leaned a lot more on that with Nick because that's what he and our other personnel were best suited for. Cam's offense was a lot more balanced, but it still wasn't a "pro style" passing offense. And Chris Todd obviously didn't run at all, but you can tell that he still usually knew where the ball was going before the snap (with an outlet valve in the flat just in case).

(Forgot how to embed youtube?)

(Edit out the 's' from the 'https' and it will embed.)

^This

(Seriously, thank you!)

Happy to pass along some of golf's wisdom (he told me how to do it). He may be old, but he sure can embed some youtube videos.

^This

(Seriously, thank you!)

Happy to pass along some of golf's wisdom (he told me how to do it). He may be old, but he sure can embed some youtube videos.

^This

(Seriously, thank you!)

Golf just got lucky. When he edited out the "S" the first time, he thought he was putting in an online order for a case of Schlitz.

We ran more inverted veer than zone read with Cam as the inside runner, and I think JJ will be used similarly to a lesser extent. I do expect him to be a better passer than Cam in terms of passing yardage and completion %.

^This

(Seriously, thank you!)

He got it from me. I posted it on the help board a long time ago.

Figures.

^This

(Seriously, thank you!)

He got it from me. I posted it on the help board a long time ago.

true but you need to learn how to suck up to your elders e

Respectfully disagree a bit. I think there will be more involved than just that. I think the route combos and progressions will change a bit since JJ can make all the throws more accurately than Nick. Also I think that fits him better since I don't believe JJ will do as much as a college runner as Cam and Nick were even though JJ ran well in high school. He will be more patient and stay in the pocket longer than Nick. Plus I don't believe he will have as many designed runs called as we did with Nick and Cam.

Meh, plenty of room for disagreement, but we're really down to semantics here. The plays will certainly evolve as Gus fits it to the personnel, but the basic philosophy is more what I'm getting at.

As far as reading progressions, while that is more an NFL type of skill, I wouldn't say it's really indicative of a move toward a more pro style offense, but rather going farther with the development of our current offense. However, this really underscores my issues with the use of "pro style" to describe offenses in the first place. :dunno:

Archived