Bama S Clinton-Dix Reinstated by NCAA

RunInRed

Nothing will happen as long as Mark Emert is still the President of the NCAA. Until there is pressure on him to change cultures like this, nothing will every happen. Someone should hold up a sign on GameDay that says something like "Mark Emmert loves Nick Saban"; just to see if it gets any attention.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would refer you all to Dan Wetzel's article on Yahoo Sports today. Good summary and analysis. Significance here is that Wetzel and Charles Robinson ( DJ Fluker story) are close friends and co-workers. They tend to co-author a lot of things.

After thinking about this for a while my first thought was that nothing would happen. But the more I think about it the more I think they can't afford to let it go because of all the mess ups over the past couple of years. I agree with 80Tiger it may take a while but they can't afford to just let it go. as for those that say they will just let the coach go, that's a tricky situation. I feel sure others knew this stuff was going on so they can't afford to make this guy too mad or he will turn on them. My guess if he does get fired that the University gives him a pretty good payout with something signed saying he can't talk about anything.

Can someone tell me why so many feel the turds are untouchable due to their recent success? I just don't see it. If this was all there was to it, maybe not too bad, but I believe there is more coming.

Certainly recent success did not impact USCw with the Reggie Bush scandal.

Because the D.J. Fluker situation extends to other schools, I do not see how the NCAA can ignore it, and they certainly would be challenged if the meted out different punishments to different schools.

The big thing about D.J. Fluker is the paper trail. He seemed to be the major beneficiary from Luther Davis' (aka "Bagman") payments, and the fact John Phillips, a UAT alum and registered sports agent, signed checks makes it look like a slam dunk. I do not see how Alabama gets out of this. Unless the NCAA rules have changed sing the Reggie Bush scandal, Saban or any other UAT coach does not need to be involved.

If there is any connection between the John Phillips/Luther Davis (Bagman)/D.J. Fluker scandal and the "Unnamed Agent"/Corey Harris (Bagman)/HaHa Clinton-Dix scandal, this could get very sticky.

Unfortunately, there will never be a connection of these two incidents, because bammer and the REC has a team of journalists/lawyers/judges that are working 24/7 to bury this story. Couple that with Emmert covering for his buddy, and you'll have some self-imposed restrictions (that will probably not include scholly reductions, since Saban is the king of oversigning) and a "disassociation" with the booster and coach that were involved, and that'll about end this little incident. HaHa will be suspended until their next big game in about a month, or maybe he'll be suspended the whole year. He'll take a redshirt, and a little bonus money for taking one for the team, maybe a new set of rims or some new suits, and the NCAA will accept bammer's self-imposed sanctions as "enough to warrant the infraction".

This is how the bammer machine works under Nick Saban. Once Saban takes another gig (if he ever does, I mean, how many jobs are out there where you a treated as a god), then the NCAA will hammer bammer under the next coach, which will probably be Greg McElroy or AJ McCarron, a "company man" that will suffer them through the sanctions until they can again hire another rock star coach.

You can laugh or cry at what is written above, but we all know this is how it's been done at bammer for decades. Sad, but true.

The NCAA isn't going to hurt anyone right now. They are still trying to recover from the PSU and Miami debacle......

The coach was fired......showing the university "wont stand for it" whether they knew or not....on paper it looks like the university did what was right :-/

I have no idea what the NCAA is going to do if anything. Using Miami and PSU as reasons is not much of a reason IMO. I would think the NCAA would actually take the approach of "lets do this one right" instead of ignoring something.

As stated the coach was not fired. This is not a booster that in all reality the university has hard time controlling. This is an staff member that hears about rules, procedures,dos and don'ts with the NCAA until it runs out there ears. Sounds like lack of institutional control to me.

BINGO ! ! We have a winner! :bananadance:

So Tim, do you think uat will get just as much or more punishment than the NCAA gave lsu? And, will the punishment/sanctions/probation/loss of scholly's have about the same effect it had on the LSU program?

I am an optimist. I just can't see how the NCAA can NOT look into this MASSIVE PROOF of cheating.(Basically something new every few days out of west vance) When they start digging, the "tip" will lead to the ICEBURG.

I would refer you all to Dan Wetzel's article on Yahoo Sports today. Good summary and analysis. Significance here is that Wetzel and Charles Robinson ( DJ Fluker story) are close friends and co-workers. They tend to co-author a lot of things.

Here is the Wetzel story. It's a good read.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--will-alabama-case-force-ncaa-to-investigate--or-surrender--002539592.html

If Emmert is turning a blind eye to Saban it is to protect himself, not Saban.

He let Saban do whatever under his reign at LSU......if proof of wrong doing gets out that looks really bad for him.

The main questions I haven't seen addressed, and I know it's early, are:

1. Where did the $500 figure come from? Was this figure provided by bammer, or Ha Ha, or the SC coach? Are we really to believe it was only $500?

2. Are we really to believe the loan was repaid?

3. Was this a "one-time" loan, or has this been going on for years?

I believe this is why they haven't fired the SC coach yet. This guy has the dirt that could gift wrap the investigation for the NCAA, so right now, they are putting together a "severance package" that will keep this coach silent, and financially set, for the rest of his days.

I'd like to add another question to AuburnGrad97's list: Who approached who about this loan? Did Harris hear some scuttlebutt among other players that HaHa--damn, what a stupid nickname--needed cash, or did HaHa approach Harris? If HaHa is the one who make the initial contact, how did he know to go to Harris to ask for this loan? Is there some common knowledge that if you need some funds, go see Coach Harris?

I am confused as to the timing. Was the loan made this summer but Bama just found out a few days ago, or did Bama find out this past Summer about the loan? If Bama knew about the loan this past summer, why did it take so long to come to this conclusion. I mean, this is the same crackpot Compliance Dept who spent less than one whole day investigating the Brent Calloway situation and came to the conclusion that "there's nothing to see here."

Bama spent the better part of 15 years on one sort of probation or another and just got off a couple years ago. I can't see why so many AU people seem to think they are bullet proof.

But, if you look at Bama as a whole, you can see that none of their probations came during tenures of coaches that were basically considered "gods" by the state and national media. When Bryant was coaching Bama, they never even got investigated by the NCAA for anything, and you cannot convince me that some coach or school didn't turn in evidence of Bama cheating during those years. In fact, there had been strong rumors during those years that Bama had a mole in the SEC office and that any reports of cheating irregularities against Bama never saw the light of day. Now you have Saban, who is not only considered the greatest coach since Jesus walked the earth, but he and Emmert are "BFF's" from their LSU days together. As has been previously stated by others and myself on different threads, there has been way too many documentations and actual photographs submitted to the NCAA and there has been NOTHING done by them. During the Cam Newton "scandal" the Bammers always told us that "where there's smoke there's fire." Well, what about the smoke out of Gadsden and Mobile when Saban racked up his first #1 recruiting class; what about the smoke dealing with the recruiting of Brent Calloway; T-Town Men's Ware or Hot Wheelz in Mobile? This is why so many of us feel that Bama feels they are invincible, and, unfortunately, they may be proven right again.

Perhaps Stallings was not a "God" for them, but he won a championship for them in 1992. Then in 1995 he and UAT got caught by the NCAA and in 1996 he resigned.

Stallings returned to Alabama as head coach in 1990. His first team finished with a 7–5 record,[2] including a 34–7 loss to Louisville in the 1991 Fiesta Bowl. Following Harold Drew, Stallings became only the second Alabama head coach since the renewal of the Iron Bowl in 1948 to defeat Auburn in his first attempt; Dennis Franchione became the third in 2001.[3] Stallings' 1991 squad finished the season with an 11–1[2] record, including a 30–25[4] victory over Colorado in the 1991 Blockbuster Bowl.

In 1992, Stallings' experienced defensive unit led the team to an undefeated regular season and a berth in the first SEC Championship Game where Alabama defeated Florida, 28–21, giving Alabama its 20th SEC title, and its first outright conference title since 1979.[2]Following a 34–13 victory over heavily favored Miami in the 1993 Sugar Bowl to cap a perfect 13-0 season and the first Bowl Coalition national championship--their first national title since 1979.[5]

In 1993, Stallings' squad won a second straight SEC West Division title, compiling a 9–3–1 record. However, the Tide lost to Florida in the SEC Championship Game. In 1994, Stallings' team finished the regular season with a record of 11–0, an 8–0 record in the SEC, and captured its third straight SEC West Division title. However, they lost the SEC title game for the second year in a row to Florida.[5] Alabama finished the 1994 season with a 12–1 record, including a 24–17 victory over Ohio State in the Citrus Bowl.[2]

After an investigation that ran from late 1993 to August 1995, the NCAA found Alabama guilty of four major rules violations during the 1993 season. Stallings was implicated, along with athletic director Hootie Ingram, in falsifying the eligibility of Alabama cornerbackAntonio Langham during that season. Langham had signed with a sports agent and applied to enter the NFL Draft following the 1993 Sugar Bowl, but was not subsequently declared ineligible per NCAA rules. Alabama officials only declared him ineligible the week before the 1993 SEC title game. As a result, Alabama's football program was placed on three years probation, and docked a total of 30 scholarships from 1995 to 1998. Alabama was also forced to forfeit eight wins and one tie from its 9–3–1 1993 season in which Langham participated, resulting in an official record of 1–12. The Crimson Tide were also barred from postseason competition, including the SEC Championship Game and bowl games, during the 1995 season.[6]

Stallings' 1994 team proved to be tremendously successful, as Alabama finished the regular season undefeated before losing to Florida in the SEC Championship Game. The team concluded the season by defeating Ohio State in the Citrus Bowl to finish the season 12-1.

Alabama went 8–3 in 1995, the only season between 1992 and 1996 that Stallings didn't win the SEC West (Auburn finished finished first in the division in 1993 but was serving a post-sesaon ban). Arkansas won the West title in 1995, with a last second touchdown against the Tide to claim their first ever victory over Alabama. However, the Tide would have been ineligible for the SEC Championship Game or a bowl game regardless as a result of the NCAA sanctions.

In 1996, Stallings' team won ten games and earned a berth in the SEC Championship Game, where they lost to again to Florida, which eventually won the national title that season. Stallings announced on November 23, 1996 that he would resign at the end of the season. He completed his tenure at Alabama with a 17–14 win over Michigan in the 1997 Outback Bowl on January 1, 1997.[2] Stallings compiled an official record at Alabama of 62–25 (70–16–1 if the 1993 forfeits are disregarded).[2] The lost scholarships as a result of the 1995 infractions case, however, would hobble the Tide for several years to come; they would only win eight or more games three times between Stallings' departure and Nick Saban's arrival in 2007, and would also suffer three of its only four losing seasons since Bryant's arrival.[7]

Great question, Randy. And one we'll probably never get the honest answer to. To further elaborate on your "how did he know to go to Coach Harris" question, how many players have visited Coach Harris in times of financial need? Where does Coach Harris get the funds to support these players? Is this all done out of the goodness of this man's heart, or is there a benefit to coming to Coach Harris, like say, employment? All good questions that you would think, if I can come up with these, surely a good investigative reporter could come up with. We'll never hear them asked, though, because weeman stamps his feet at his press conferences, and says "don't ask me this" and "don't ask me that", and the reporters bow their heads, ask his forgiveness, and move on, out of fear of not being allowed in his presence again.

It all sounds so cut and dried. If giving a player a loan is against NCAA regulations, then this should just be another nail in the coffin. No team should be above following the rules every other college has to follow, and I believe the NCAA has to act on this. If they don't, then you might as well do away with the NCAA and have a free for all. All the other evidence against them should garner the death penalty.

Having said all of that, I could care less if they ever win another game, and seldon watch when they play anyone but Auburn. It will be very interesting to see how all of this plays out.

The main questions I haven't seen addressed, and I know it's early, are:

1. Where did the $500 figure come from? Was this figure provided by bammer, or Ha Ha, or the SC coach? Are we really to believe it was only $500?

2. Are we really to believe the loan was repaid?

3. Was this a "one-time" loan, or has this been going on for years?

I believe this is why they haven't fired the SC coach yet. This guy has the dirt that could gift wrap the investigation for the NCAA, so right now, they are putting together a "severance package" that will keep this coach silent, and financially set, for the rest of his days.

To answer your questions:

1. The original article said the loan was less than $500, so everyone is just using that number because it's fairly close.

2. HaHa provided his bank statement to turd compliance to show he repaid it.

3. My guess is years.

The turds seems to always suspend people before they officially get rid of them. They suspended the 4 thugs earlier this year before they kicked them off a team a week later and all those charges were pretty clear.

What gets me is all the speculation as to how Cecil Newton received a payoff for Cam which (according to Finebaum/Sheridan) was funneled through his church. This theory went on for weeks. Everyone remembers the "bagman" theory.

It seems that no one speculates about money getting passed around at Bama. It is always an oversight or a big mistake that seems to take care of itself with a game or two suspension.

No one mentions that AU went through an NCAA investigation that found no wrong doing regarding any player at AU. I bet Bama would not fair as well with the same type investigation. Where is the outrage that existed during the Cam investigation??? Where is Pete Thamel and all the media goobs that turned on Auburn???

What gets me is all the speculation as to how Cecil Newton received a payoff for Cam which (according to Finebaum/Sheridan) was funneled through his church. This theory went on for weeks. Everyone remembers the "bagman" theory.

It seems that no one speculates about money getting passed around at Bama. It is always an oversight or a big mistake that seems to take care of itself with a game or two suspension.

No one mentions that AU went through an NCAA investigation that found no wrong doing regarding any player at AU. I bet Bama would not fair as well with the same type investigation. Where is the outrage that existed during the Cam investigation??? Where is Pete Thamel and all the media goobs that turned on Auburn???

^^^^THIS^^^^

I think there is a difference between hard to touch and untouchable. I think we are about to find out the difference between the two. If you are hard to touch, when the crap piles up to the ceiling all around you, it is eventually going to crash down on you and you will be exposed for the world to see.

It's kind of like when a mafia family runs free for years. Eventually everyone knows what's going on and the right people are forced to get involved and they are taken down. The turds have been the cfb mafia since saban got there. Everyone knows it now. The right people will be forced to get involved. They are not as smart as they think they are. They thought they were untouchable. They were merely hard to touch.

I think there is a difference between hard to touch and untouchable. I think we are about to find out the difference between the two. If you are hard to touch, when the crap piles up to the ceiling all around you, it is eventually going to crash down on you and you will be exposed for the world to see.

It's kind of like when a mafia family runs free for years. Eventually everyone knows what's going on and the right people are forced to get involved and they are taken down. The turds have been the cfb mafia since saban got there. Everyone knows it now. The right people will be forced to get involved. They are not as smart as they think they are. They thought they were untouchable. They were merely hard to touch.

^^^^

Time in not on Bama's side.....

The NCAA isn't going to hurt anyone right now. They are still trying to recover from the PSU and Miami debacle......

The coach was fired......showing the university "wont stand for it" whether they knew or not....on paper it looks like the university did what was right :-/

I have no idea what the NCAA is going to do if anything. Using Miami and PSU as reasons is not much of a reason IMO. I would think the NCAA would actually take the approach of "lets do this one right" instead of ignoring something.

As stated the coach was not fired. This is not a booster that in all reality the university has hard time controlling. This is an staff member that hears about rules, procedures,dos and don'ts with the NCAA until it runs out there ears. Sounds like lack of institutional control to me.

The NCAA gave LSU one year probation & took away 2 scholarships for 2 yrs when one of their coaches was found paying a players housing bill. The coach got fired and the player finished out his football career in Canda. It didn't hurt LSU's program in the least, as they were undefeated and playing in BCSNC game while they were on probation, and they've had 10+ win seasons consistantly for years. Anything the NCAA does to these powerhouse programs appears weak as far as punishment, it didn't phase LSU and it hasn't phased SouthCarolina either.

Huge difference in LSU and bammer is this...the LSU recruit never played a down of football for the corndogs..Mr. HA HA played in four games,when he was iniligable.

ESPNU just reported this is basically no big deal. Their words: A. Small amount of money. B. Immediately repaid. C. The turd compliance department just found out then they acted very swiftly with the suspensions. (ESPNU was basically complementing the turd compliance dept. on a job well done)! D. Ha Ha will be back on the field in 3 weeks maximum. E. turds have "reached out" to the NCAA in a gracious way over all of this.

ESPNU just reported this is basically no big deal. Their words: A. Small amount of money. B. Immediately repaid. C. The turd compliance department just found out then they acted very swiftly with the suspensions. (ESPNU was basically complementing the turd compliance dept. on a job well done)! D. Ha Ha will be back on the field in 3 weeks maximum. E. turds have "reached out" to the NCAA in a gracious way over all of this.

Meaningless. Espn reported cam as guilty and would be punished multiple times. If there is a bama bobo honker out there it's espn. It means nothing.

Nothing going to happen.....travesty...

The NCAA is as tootheless as the bammer turds it chooses to overlook. They will never gum the hand that feeds them.

Archived